Thread: Want to start playing, need help

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default Want to start playing, need help

I've never played the game and I'm not familiar with Warhammer lore so I have a few questions

1) How many factions can you play without any DLC and which those are?
    2) What DLC's are good? They are quite pricey, especially those that add new factions.
    3) Does Grand Campaign work the same as it did in previous TW games? Conquer X amount of settlement to win?
    4) Some factions apparently have their own unique mini campaigns? How do those work?

Default Re: Want to start playing, need help

Assuming you're talking about Warhammer 1.

1) 5. Empire, Vampires, Orcs, Dwarfs and Brettonia.
    2) Wood Elves is considered the best, Chaos and Beastmen have got mediocre reviews.
    3) Pretty much yes, but keep in mind that the campaign aspect is immensely simplified. It's all about the battles essentially, with almost zero administration. The game was received positively, because none had any expectations about a detailed campaign management, so if you wait for something more than battles full of colours and extravagant creatures, you'll be disappointed.
    4) Beastmen probably more, but I'm not sure how they work. They were panned by the players, which is why CA left them out completely in Warhammer 2.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default Re: Want to start playing, need help

Thanks. Warhammer 2 isn't out yet, is it?

I'm having hard time finding my way around the UI and campaign map. Definitely takes some time to get used to.

I started a Wood Elves Grand Campaign, but I'm struggling to figure out what my opening moves should be. I'm surrounded by other wood elves almost everywhere (minor factions). Should I try to conquer those or engage in diplomacy? They tend to refuse my offers of NAP.