Thread: How are Religious Temples chosen for the provinces?

Default How are Religious Temples chosen for the provinces?

Hello, as a fan from the very beginning of EB, there has always been one specific thing bothering my brain, and made me think a lot.

I have gone through the regions to try to find what patron deity every province`s main city has, to place It on the map on the "descr_strat".
    I have a feeling of a possibility that the temples chosen in the original "descr_strat", are not neccesarily consistent with the historical temple in that province. And in many, there are not temples constructed from the beginning (not talking about unique buildings).
    Im eager to have the historical patron God worshipped in every province from the start, and change the starting temples in the file every time a new version of EBII is out.

How does the EBII team make the decition to place what temples? Are you focusing on gamplay or historical correctness in this matter?
    Will It destroy scripts or anything else in the game to change the starting temples in "descr_strat", and to keep all the rest original when starting a new game?

Realy hope I dont sound rude, as I am a great fan of this amazing work of a mod. Its like all dreams come true while waiting so many years.
    Just want to have It as historical as possible.

Best regards to the team
    "Christianus"
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Default Re: How are Religious Temples chosen for the provinces?

Quote Originally Posted by Christianus View Post
    Hello, as a fan from the very beginning of EB, there has always been one specific thing bothering my brain, and made me think a lot.

I have gone through the regions to try to find what patron deity every province`s main city has, to place It on the map on the "descr_strat".
    I have a feeling of a possibility that the temples chosen in the original "descr_strat", are not neccesarily consistent with the historical temple in that province. And in many, there are not temples constructed from the beginning (not talking about unique buildings).
    Im eager to have the historical patron God worshipped in every province from the start, and change the starting temples in the file every time a new version of EBII is out.

How does the EBII team make the decition to place what temples? Are you focusing on gamplay or historical correctness in this matter?
    Will It destroy scripts or anything else in the game to change the starting temples in "descr_strat", and to keep all the rest original when starting a new game?

Realy hope I dont sound rude, as I am a great fan of this amazing work of a mod. Its like all dreams come true while waiting so many years.
    Just want to have It as historical as possible.

Best regards to the team
    "Christianus"
    In many (probably most) cases there isn't a conscious effort to select the "most appropriate" temple. Part of the problem is that you only have one temple-type per city, and only one city per province (far from historical), and the most important temple in that city might not be the best choice for the province as a whole. Also factor in that you only have 5 or 6 gods to choose from, and it gets trickier. And even where a specific temple *could* be chosen, sometimes we leave them off because the overall province/city development level is pretty low or simply so the player can make his/her own choice. Which you can anyway - all temples can be destroyed and new ones chosen to replace them.

In certain special cases we do have "wonders" that represent particularly important temples (such as Diana in Ephesus)

Edit: To follow up on your modding question, to my knowledge there aren't any scripts that require the presence of "temple x" in "city y", so modding them in or out is probably safe. They do affect traits and ancillaries, but not in a city-specific sort of way.
    Last edited by Kull; 08-22-2017 at 23:15.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Member thankful for this post:

Thank you for the answer Kull. Will It make issues with the gamelay and scripts that you know of to add a higher-tier temple than allowed by the game in a smaller settlement (in descr_strat)? This to keep the same temple when other factions conquer the province.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christianus View Post
    Thank you for the answer Kull. Will It make issues with the gamelay and scripts that you know of to add a higher-tier temple than allowed by the game in a smaller settlement (in descr_strat)? This to keep the same temple when other factions conquer the province.
    Won't make any difference - the descr_strat doesn't check if a building is "allowed" before placing it. The only difficulty comes if it's destroyed or downgraded by settlement sack - in which case you couldn't rebuild it.

We do also take note of major cults that are attested to in particular settlements, when deciding which temple, but it's all still educated guesswork.

The only script-linkage I can think if is for the Sabaens, I'm sure they require a particular type of temple in their capital for a reform event.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Thank you both for your answers. Its very helpfull.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

We actually selected, when possible (that is archaeology or sources telling us), the most important cult for each province...

Then again it is also very difficult (really futile) to determine a single deity over others. Especially since the traditions of the time had several deities equally as important, or with varying importance throughout the year (festivals and seasons)...
    Historically there often were also cultures, like say the Romani or the people of Nesha (Hittites) it was customary to bring all the cults to the capital and their chief places of worship developing there...

Even modding two temples per province (which forces one tier to be always just at level 1) is not an optimal representation...

Another problem, of course, is that within a single province there were more than one main place of worship. So ultimately we had to pick those at the political centers or very important regional ones...
    Last edited by Arjos; 08-23-2017 at 11:38.