Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey & Irma

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Hurricane Harvey & Irma

And we are being led by Governor hot wheels and The Donald.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Hurricane Harvey

Oh, right.

GL GL
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Dang. Models predicting more than a meter of rain over the next 4 days in Corpus. The region floods at 10cm.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Dang. Models predicting more than a meter of rain over the next 4 days in Corpus. The region floods at 10cm.

My parents are harboring Corpus/barrier island residents. Everything boarded up and off the floor. We got a live one boys.

Also, on a serious note, the hill country is prone to disastrous flash floods. I was caught out as a child in 98 because I was playing in a creek bed, after I was told not to lol. Know your water table, don't drive on roads you can't see, your job is not worth your life.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 08-25-2017 at 17:12.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    My parents are harboring Corpus/barrier island residents. Everything boarded up and off the floor. We got a live one boys.

Also, on a serious note, the hill country is prone to disastrous flash floods. I was caught out as a child in 98 because I was playing in a creek bed, after I was told not to lol. Know your water table, don't drive on roads you can't see, your job is not worth your life.
    I remember that from when I moved to Austin in 89. The preceding summer a kid was playing in the concrete and tile lined culvert in a neighborhood a little North of Hyde Park. The found him in the lake 3+ miles away. The culvert went from dry to 3 foot wall of water in seconds.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

My sister is in the Austin highlands, she says she should be good to go. Aunt/Uncle out by Lake Travis, hopefully they don't get washed off the hillside. Strike, how do you think the River Tunnel will hold up?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Stay safe friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 08-26-2017 at 01:15.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

US French speakers from Louisiana...

Let the wind blow...

https://youtu.be/XSfFDl5AQkA
    Last edited by Brenus; 08-26-2017 at 07:38.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

This hurricane is taking away from the great news that Joe Arpaio was pardoned.

Do you think these metric system models would make any sense to most Americans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    US French speakers from Louisiana...

Let the wind blow...

https://youtu.be/XSfFDl5AQkA
    Brenus, thanks. I have heard more than a few Cajun complain that homeland French won't acknowledge Cajun as being the same language.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Do you think these metric system models would make any sense to most Americans?
    I can rely on most readers on this site having a passable education. Besides, you can be more persuasive if you tell her "10-and-a-half" with a hint of pride in your voice if you are the only one who knows it's a centimetric reference.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 08-26-2017 at 22:50.

Husar 

Brenus, thanks. I have heard more than a few Cajun complain that homeland French won't acknowledge Cajun as being the same language.
    The song's seemingly about defiance to the authority of law enforcement; meanwhile, Trump pardoned Joe Arpaio last night.

The Sheriff came
    To warn us
    He said a hurricane
    Was coming soon.

I don’t give a damn
    What the lawman said
    I am going to stay
    Stay right here

Let the storm wind blow

Ooh, poetic.
    Vitiate Man.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Oh.. There was a "Alliance Française" in Louisiana when I travelled long time ago in the USA. To be true, French are more aware of the Quebec than Louisiana, probably because it was sold.
    The French Canadians have a bitter history to remember and their culture shows it.
    In fact, I remember watching a documentary about the deportation of the French rebels (those who refused the swear the oath to the GB) and it was said that along the coast of the US you have small French speakers minorities when some boats loaded with the deported (we would say ethnically cleansed nowadays) never made it to the New Orleans. To be fair, for some of the witnesses, if I did recognised it was French, I couldn't understand what they were saying without the sub-title...
    But no, French do have sympathy and acknowledge the Cajuns or Accadians/Cadians as "cousins".
    When I travelled there, I was in a strange mood. In one hand, they spoke the language of our common past and because "americanised" they were a probable future. as one said, we speak the same language but I am american... Strange feeling...
    They are parts of two cultures:
    https://youtu.be/WKxm9q3sKfw
    https://youtu.be/qpY-SKIjReI

In the south of Louisianna, in the woods of Attakapas
    Where the river joins the embankment
    Planted in the baie is an old green oak tree
    On the shores of lake Bijou

In its foliage, where the branches make their hooks
    The swallows retourn each spring.
    They take refuge in this green oak tree

chorus:
    Turn, turn in my arms
    Hold me tight once more
    Stay with me under this green oak

It was the year, in '57
    the first time that I saw them.
    Both of them together, building a nest.
    On the shores of lake Bijou.

They came back when winter was over
    I called them Peter and Mary.
    One tall gentleman, black as the night...
    His maiden with him.

Chorus

During Lent, this last month of april
    I saw them one last time
    One bird alone, posed on his branch

He stayed calm; his heart breaking
    Waiting from the morning to the night
    Until sunday, he left, too
    From the shores of lake Bijou.

Chorus

Compared with a french Canadian song: You will feel the difference (same singer)
    Réveil: Wake-up (the English are coming to burn the village and to loot the cattle...)
    https://youtu.be/3_AescSs6GA

One of my favourites
    https://youtu.be/yYywdxUg-nQ
    Last edited by Brenus; 08-26-2017 at 23:31.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Members thankful for this post (2):

I can rely on most readers on this site having a passable education. Besides, you can be more persuasive if you tell her "10-and-a-half" with a hint of pride in your voice if you are the only one who knows it's a centimetric reference.
    When I was in the USA on a student exchange program, one of the locals took fancy to a girl from our group. He was very tall and she asked him what was his height and he gave her feet and inches but she didn't understand it. Next day (apparently after some strenuous calculations) he announced to her that he had converted his height into metric system. According to him he was 3.5 meters high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    When I was in the USA on a student exchange program, one of the locals took fancy to a girl from our group. He was very tall and she asked him what was his height and he gave her feet and inches but she didn't understand it. Next day (apparently after some strenuous calculations) he announced to her that he had converted his height into metric system. According to him he was 3.5 meters high.
    There are many old jokes here about women being poor at geometry only because their boyfriends have told that that a....certain length...is nine inches.

Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    My sister is in the Austin highlands, she says she should be good to go. Aunt/Uncle out by Lake Travis, hopefully they don't get washed off the hillside. Strike, how do you think the River Tunnel will hold up?
    The Tunnel is great for protecting the downtown area and augmenting the damn. In the event of an actual flood? I am not sure how useful it is for the whole city. The real issue here is the plateau ends in the city between 10 and 35 and beyond that you have the confluence of a bunch watersheds. Between those two things just happens to be the rest of city and trillions of dollars in military hardware.

We were very fortunate to dodge a bullet here. Austin and the 35 corridor was drenched.

Houston basically suffers from the same problem as New Orleans, city on a bayou. Couple that with a total disregard for zoning over the past 3 decades and you end up with this. This problem is compounded by the fact it is literally impossible to evacuate the whole county. There are simply too many people.

I had some time this morning and have just been going through pictures and settling into an nice malaise. This kind of thing is going to keep happening. I am not sure what can be done to counteract that. The city is already built and hemmed in.

A good article on hurricane dynamics and how Harvey is affected.
    Quick overview: two high pressure systems have it locked in place; enough of the land is soaked that moisture from the ground is sufficient to feed the storm; water seeking to drain to the Gulf is meeting the storm surge (think rush hour pile up)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...it-so-extreme/
    Ja-mata TosaInu

For inspiration its hard to top the "Cajun Navy"
    Boats from Louisiana to Texas? No problem:

https://wonkette.com/622245/texas-bo...eroes-in-boats
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

26" of rain yesterday alone, 40-50" over the last few days. It's still raining but not nearly as bad. Flooding is pretty extensive around my area, so it's pretty bad over here in SE Texas. Some of the refineries have taken on water as well, and are shutting down.

This is I-10 between Winnie and Beaumont. A large amount of the highways are flooded. This is the worst I've ever seen it, such a devastating event.
    Last edited by Csargo; 08-30-2017 at 21:23.

Members thankful for this post (2):

This is likely to be the most expensive storm repair in US history. In good part because we don't have enough refinery capacity in the first place. Shutting them down (needful if flooding threatens even more damage) is gonna get costly.

Csargo 

This is likely to be the most expensive storm repair in US history. In good part because we don't have enough refinery capacity in the first place. Shutting them down (needful if flooding threatens even more damage) is gonna get costly.
    This is Motiva in Port Arthur:

https://twitter.com/LeahDurain/statu...131394/video/1

I imagine most residential or commercial property subject to more than a couple of feet of flooding, as well as most of this submerged public infrastructure and industry, will need to be completely dismantled and rebuilt once the water recedes: towers, highways, bridges, chemical plants... that's more than an insurance problem.

Photos
    Vitiate Man.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Not a praying man, but I can hope that diligence and skill of those involved in helping will minimize the suffering.

It appears nature does like to remind us periodically that we exist at its whim.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These things are a consequence of changes in the environment making them more intense. But with a President who disavows climate and ecological agendas, the buck will be further delayed.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Not just this President.
    Houston probably highlights the problems with expanding the urban footprint.
    Wetlands...useless and wet; residential development = permit sales =>housing =>taxpayers; all this goodness PLUS removing a breeding ground for vermin.
    Not just wetlands, any sort of "waste" property ie: undeveloped
    The consequences are not built into the costs, nor the taxation; when disaster strikes...
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Berlin Sponge Architecture is designed for natural water flow and ecological sustainability.

...but it turns out Berlin is also seeing record rainfall this summer.

Berlin streets underwater after 6 inches of rain in 24 hours, rain for everybody! @Husar, do you know if these architectural and urban development innovations are proving to be just the ticket for mitigating the consequences of this kind of weather event?
    Vitiate Man.

Relying on the most recent bad storm as a proof of global warming is a bit haphazard. Strong storms have been down of late overall despite the generally warmer average water temperature.

Besides, most of the GOP (aside from the loons) accept that Global Warming is a fact. Thermometers are rather bad liars. They dispute the anthropomorphic-centered thinking they hear referenced as THE source of this climate change. And it is hard to get at. You cannot type in a search for climate change without a bajillion political hits but few good research pieces that are accessible in full (and just hearing their conclusions is not enough to judge research quality of course).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast