Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey & Irma

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: Hurricane Harvey

The storm basically got stuck between two high pressure systems basically dumping trillions of gallons of water over these areas that are seeing major flooding, plus with a city like Houston the entire surrounding area has been developed extensively, like HopAlongBunny said, so all of that water didn't have anywhere to go and it started rising. When it was over Houston and my area it was a Tropical Storm I'm pretty sure, but it was moving so slowly that it just dumped massive amounts of rain. It dumped 26" in 24 hours over my area on Tuesday, and the previous few days there were heavy thunderstorms over that time period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Relying on the most recent bad storm as a proof of global warming is a bit haphazard. Strong storms have been down of late overall despite the generally warmer average water temperature.

Besides, most of the GOP (aside from the loons) accept that Global Warming is a fact. Thermometers are rather bad liars. They dispute the anthropomorphic-centered thinking they hear referenced as THE source of this climate change. And it is hard to get at. You cannot type in a search for climate change without a bajillion political hits but few good research pieces that are accessible in full (and just hearing their conclusions is not enough to judge research quality of course).
    You're right about the one strom thing, but the anthropomorphic denial is just crazy, and of course it comes from the side that constantly talks about "personal responsibility" and "being the master of your destiny" etc. as long as it doesn't come to changing its pet habits or hurting the income of its pet billionaires...
    https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Pure coincidence that the burning of every fossil fuel we can find happened just when the curve went crazy I guess.

https://skepticalscience.com/empiric...al-warming.htm

It's just when you deny half the science that you can deny human impact. At some point of course, human impact becomes meaningless and the planet heats up further and further regardless of what we do. Maybe the plan is to deny our impact until it actually does become meaningless? Also funny that the same people tend to dislike refugees, wait until all the equatorial areas become uninhabitable...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does anyone find it odd that Texas, the key player in the "small state" concept are asking for $120 BILLION in Federal aid? Where is the God and self achievement in this?

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Where is the God and self achievement in this?
    It's different in this case...
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Does anyone find it odd that Texas, the key player in the "small state" concept are asking for $120 BILLION in Federal aid? Where is the God and self achievement in this?

Both sides do that sort of crap, it is true.

Take flood insurance. Government underwrites most of it...thus encouraging people to rebuild homes that will be flooded in less than a generation. Market forces would force them to move when they were wiped out and not insured.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Take flood insurance. Government underwrites most of it...thus encouraging people to rebuild homes that will be flooded in less than a generation. Market forces would force them to move when they were wiped out and not insured.
    I think market fetishization here runs into incoherence.

The market is what has pushed settlement and development of all these vulnerable areas, cyclically. Which areas globally - land categorized as flood risk - probably support the life of the majority of the human population and cannot be abandoned. Heck, look at Florida.

We can't all live in Nebraska, and the government won't fund it either without a Titan or kaiju threat.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post

The market is what has pushed settlement and development of all these vulnerable areas, cyclically. Which areas globally - land categorized as flood risk - probably support the life of the majority of the human population and cannot be abandoned. Heck, look at Florida.

We can't all live in Nebraska, and the government won't fund it either without a Titan or kaiju threat.
    Humans can build dwellings that can survive in outer space, on the moon and yes, even on flood plans. They've been doing so for thousands of years (often the trick is piles that rise above the flood water - of course these days doors and windows can be waterproofed and even one way valves can be fitted in waste pipes). The difference is that developers are greedy, government ineffective and customers ignorant / desperate that houses that are not fit for purpose get built.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

A look at the "market" usually involves a very selective view.
    The developers view: "people will buy these houses near the water; and at a very nice premium for the view and ambience"
    Insurers: "Several times burned and honestly you can forget flood insurance if you build there"
    Government: "Unforseen disasters shouldn't ruin people": becoming: "We will do what industry won't, to preserve jobs"

The market system subsidizes building in high risk areas; largely at the urging of the markets' biggest players.
    What was Doonesburys' line : My country tis of thee; Sweet land of subsidy"

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-epic-flooding

https://californiawaterblog.com/2017...-county-texas/
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Maybe it's true.

With climate shifts, some urban concentrations have become unsustainable.

The new norm is the old one, destruction and renewal - and we aren't merely refurbishing log cabins anymore.

We don't have the money, or superseding money, we don't have the resources.

It can't be done. Not over and over.

So what can we do? The logical answer seems to be selective de-habitation and consolidation of populations. The only entity that can provision this for the public at all, let alone on a meaningful timescale, is the state. Population transfer is the oldest and most fundamental function of the state, but today these states will need new powers and insulated institutional incentives - and everything in attendance.

How many will die before we accede to empowering governments in selective sacrifice of citizens ? Will it be easier if we know subtextually who it is, who is going to be first overboard in almost any case?

But not all can be saved, and once we agree on that then there is no one else to entrust.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 09-03-2017 at 10:14.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wooooo!!!

Regulations for more safety currently blocked by the Trump administration.

Perhaps this is by design? As robots replace workers and unemployed workers get unhappy, why not let them slowly die off? Solves the unrest problems by distracting everyone, too.
    Trump already said he wants to send people back to the coal mines, where they will work too hard to bother with politics in the evening and die early anyway. Maybe that explains all the Trump measures, they're meant to kill off poor/weak people who "aren't needed" anymore... Welcome to Sparta.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I don't disagree. What is problematic for our republic is that, over the course of the 20th especially, the federal government has become the "guarantor of all things." Republics don't do that well, which trends towards some form of bureaucratic semi-autarchy.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Regulations for more safety currently blocked by the Trump administration.

Perhaps this is by design? As robots replace workers and unemployed workers get unhappy, why not let them slowly die off? Solves the unrest problems by distracting everyone, too.
    Trump already said he wants to send people back to the coal mines, where they will work too hard to bother with politics in the evening and die early anyway. Maybe that explains all the Trump measures, they're meant to kill off poor/weak people who "aren't needed" anymore... Welcome to Sparta.
    Over-simplification much? No 'cradle to grave' protection from life = Sparta? I suppose we'll have to find Helots to murder to prove our worth then....

You went a little to swiftian with this response, Husar.

Over-simplification much? No 'cradle to grave' protection from life = Sparta? I suppose we'll have to find Helots to murder to prove our worth then....

You went a little to swiftian with this response, Husar.
    You're interpreting what I said wrong.

I meant they kill off the weak and losers on purpose. But since death squads and gas chambers are politically incorrect, they just risk more accidents and catastrophes and then pretend they couldn't save everyone. If they're really lucky, NK nukes the liberal West Coast.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Relying on the most recent bad storm as a proof of global warming is a bit haphazard.
    I have been talking about examples across a decade, and Harvey is an example that just occur again. This is happening internationally as there are very evident changes in the landscape and local ecosystems. Even my grandmother went on a rant the other day about how the weather was never like it was when she was a little girl during the world war years which surprised me.

But 'head in sand' brigade won't be changing their tune regardless.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-04-2017 at 00:30.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I have been talking about examples across a decade, and Harvey is an example that just occur again. This is happening internationally as there are very evident changes in the landscape and local ecosystems. Even my grandmother went on a rant the other day about how the weather was never like it was when she was a little girl during the world war years which surprised me.

But 'head in sand' brigade won't be changing their tune regardless.
    My grandfather said a similar thing. He said that a river near our home used to get frozen during the winter when he was young.
    Wooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    My grandfather said a similar thing. He said that a river near our home used to get frozen during the winter when he was young.
    Any number of examples like this have been noted. St. Lawrence used to freeze etc.

It is a certainty that the Earth has been warming. We have been part of a warming trend for some time following a classic interglaciation pattern. How much of the current spike is human-fostered v 'normal' heating might be arguable. Far more important is the consideration of how we will adapt to this warming trend, which is probably not at its peak (and which we may well be exacerbating as a majority of our scientists assert).

Next up: Florida?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hurrica...rida-1.4275126

Maybe, maybe not; Puerto Rico is certainly a likely target.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#irma
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...nd120#contents

Stay safe
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The only good news is that Trump will not be stealing our tax money with a trip to Mar-a-lago this weekend.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    The only good news is that Trump will not be stealing our tax money with a trip to Mar-a-lago this weekend.
    We'll have to keep our eyes on any relief money and make sure no undue amounts are spent fixing his hard hit business.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Blog Entries

Hurricane Irma is out to destroy almost everything in its warpath.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

We are at the peak of the season. Harvey drowned Eastern Texas. Irma has smacked the Antilles (we will find that most of the dead are Haitian as usual when the storm is past), will hammer the Turks, Caicos, and Bahamas, and then pound South Florida. Jose is tracking after Irma for round 2 for St. Maarten and the VI. Katia is whacking Vera Cruz.

Irma was a Cat 5 for 3 days. Almost unheard of.

My cousin lives in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. He bought a lot of snacks and water. He and his gf didn't evacuate yet for some reason. Maybe the traffic jam makes it pointless to evacuate. There seems to be a lot of people ignoring the evacuation announcement. And there are some reporters staying there. There are two major Air Force bases in Fort Walton Beach. They might be evacuating, too.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 09-09-2017 at 02:02.
    Wooooo!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Sint Maarten is in a bad spot, it's all debris atm and infrastructure is badly damaged. The much weaker Jose might be a much bigger problem. Where is the Queen Mary when you need it, total evacuation is best
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-09-2017 at 08:15.

Blog Entries

Now Hurricane Jose looks like it is going to hit category 5 (currently top-end 4) and follow in Irma's path.

Jeez, this is getting super serious this season. Katrina was the wake-up call in 2005, but this is the kick in the teeth. Worse time ever for USA to have such a irresponsible president on environment and climate change.

But I guess doing nothing, sticking head in sand, and constantly changing the goal posts from "don't exist" to "it might not be manmade" prevents any real action being done whilst people die and things deteriorate even further. How many more decades of excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    My cousin lives in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. He bought a lot of snacks and water. He and his gf didn't evacuate yet for some reason. Maybe the traffic jam makes it pointless to evacuate. There seems to be a lot of people ignoring the evacuation announcement. And there are some reporters staying there. There are two major Air Force bases in Fort Walton Beach. They might be evacuating, too.
    FWB is well up in the panhandle area and the storm cannot reach that area until Monday. It will probably be a small 1 or a large TS by then. Unless they are on the barrier island itself, they are likely making the right choice.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Now Hurricane Jose looks like it is going to hit category 5 (currently top-end 4) and follow in Irma's path.

Jeez, this is getting super serious this season. Katrina was the wake-up call in 2005, but this is the kick in the teeth. Worse time ever for USA to have such a irresponsible president on environment and climate change.

But I guess doing nothing, sticking head in sand, and constantly changing the goal posts from "don't exist" to "it might not be manmade" prevents any real action being done whilst people die and things deteriorate even further. How many more decades of excuses.
    This is rather exceptional, (global) conditions aren't any different than last year, and the year before that and that and that etc.

Hurricanes just suck you can do nothing about them
    Last edited by Fragony; 09-09-2017 at 16:34. Reason: forgot a word

Three scenarios with somewhat different consequences:

East coast: hurricane travels up east coast, Miami takes a direct hit from wind and storm surge
    Up the middle: winds basically devastate all of Florida but storm surge less pronounced on the E/W coast_dissipation as surge hits wetlands as well
    West coast: Key West and Tampa take it on the chin; hurricane force winds over entire peninsula

http://www.thedailybeast.com/three-p...-them-are-good
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Irma

It now looks like the West coast scenario will be the case
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 09-09-2017 at 19:14. Reason: update
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

My city is in the path of the hurricane, though it will likely only be a tropical storm when it reaches us. I know its awful to say this, but I really hope my university closes school on Monday since I have an exam that day.

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

FWB is well up in the panhandle area and the storm cannot reach that area until Monday. It will probably be a small 1 or a large TS by then. Unless they are on the barrier island itself, they are likely making the right choice.
    Thanks. Now I see why they didn't looked concerned when they took a selfie.
    Wooooo!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast