Thread: Hate creates its' own net; or truly free speech finds a home

Default Hate creates its' own net; or truly free speech finds a home

The internet.
    The Wild West of free speech; or just another liberal conspiracy to narrow debate?

It seems prominent hate groups feel the web just ain't big enough for everyone to flourish.
    Daily Stormer and like minded forums have had their hosting pulled and deleted from some services.
    Solution: build yer own!
    Alt-right and alt-tech take a stab at going it alone:

https://slate.com/technology/2017/08...-internet.html

Is this the "bubble of perception" going big time?
    "If people can't deal with what we talk about, we'll create our own space-literally."
    Necessary evolution of the net? Top-down "guidance" about what will and will not be discussed?

Note: I feel a little uncomfortable even posting about it; am I giving a group of cranks free exposure?
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 08-31-2017 at 11:06.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Hate creates its' own net; or truly free speech finds a home

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    The internet.
    The Wild West of free speech; or just another liberal conspiracy to narrow debate?

It seems prominent hate groups feel the web just ain't big enough for everyone to flourish.
    Daily Stormer and like minded forums have had their hosting pulled and deleted from some services.
    Solution: build yer own!
    Alt-right and alt-tech take a stab at going it alone:

https://slate.com/technology/2017/08...-internet.html

Is this the "bubble of perception" going big time?
    "If people can't deal with what we talk about, we'll create our own space-literally."
    Necessary evolution of the net? Top-down "guidance" about what will and will not be discussed?

Note: I feel a little uncomfortable even posting about it; am I giving a group of cranks free exposure?
    If they can get the capital to fund it, and then show enough market to maintain it, that is how it should be. Freedom of speech does NOT require any given server owner to offer services to someone they loath. Freedom of speech is there to prevent GOVERNMENT from stifling other viewpoints and/or free expression.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Obligatory:

They have a point about the consolidation of domain hosting, and if they can fund it that's their prerogative. I assume they are smart enough to know that it will be fully infiltrated by the feds...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Obligatory:

They have a point about the consolidation of domain hosting, and if they can fund it that's their prerogative. I assume they are smart enough to know that it will be fully infiltrated by the feds...
    Don't be so sure. They're dumb/ignorant enough to by into the "race" myth despite a century of modern research/medicine noting it as mostly irrelevant.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Don't be so sure. They're dumb/ignorant enough to by into the "race" myth despite a century of modern research/medicine noting it as mostly irrelevant.
    Judging from the description of the technical people involved in the project, there are going to be many of the Slashdot libertarians working on this. Their hatred and paranoia of the TLAs lead me to my conclusion.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the Bad Old Days, there was an eeeevil concept of societal norms. In the West we have mainly done away with them. And true, they were far from all good. But now we have reached the point of relativism that "good" and "bad" are just two position statements.

Even I find myself thinking "every view should be aired" since surely suppressing lies is a bad thing.

But even Freedom of Speech in the USA is not infinite. And frankly, this along with other corrosive beliefs should be stamped out along with other things such as organised crime / paedophilia etc.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

It is the defining grace of the age that complete suppression has been rendered impossible; The internet is the ever expanding frontier, corporate cowardice can no longer shield weak ideologies from competition and pandering to the whims of the perpetually outraged is proving ever more unprofitable.

Freedom of speech is there to prevent GOVERNMENT from stifling other viewpoints and/or free expression.
    Oh do stop equating the limits of the first amendment with the principle of free speech every time the issue comes up; one does not define the other and that those moneid few wont be punished for denying a man's ability to broadcast does not make the action or the actor right.

The holocaust was legal, slavery was legal, segregation of was legal. If you use the state as a metric for ethics you'll end up dissapointed.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 09-02-2017 at 03:19.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    It is the defining grace of the age that complete suppression has been rendered impossible; The internet is the ever expanding frontier, corporate cowardice can no longer shield weak ideologies from competition and pandering to the whims of the perpetually outraged is proving ever more unprofitable.

Oh do stop equating the limits of the first amendment with the principle of free speech every time the issue comes up; one does not define the other and that those moneid few wont be punished for denying a man's ability to broadcast does not make the action or the actor right.

The holocaust was legal, slavery was legal, segregation of was legal. If you use the state as a metric for ethics you'll end up dissapointed.
    Not the state, just the Constitution.

Story from last year, around election time, of how the son of the Stormfront founder Don Black went from white nationalist icon to bleeding heart liberal.

Of interest to our @Phil, part of the long transition involved studying medieval European history to a graduate level.

The man's own statement.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 09-04-2017 at 07:14.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Story from last year, around election time, of how the son of the Stormfront founder Don Black went from white nationalist icon to bleeding heart liberal.

Of interest to our @Phil, part of the long transition involved studying medieval European history to a graduate level.

The man's own statement.
    I think it's hilarious how easily his beliefs crumbled as soon as he left his snowflake nazi bubble.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    I think it's hilarious how easily his beliefs crumbled as soon as he left his snowflake nazi bubble.
    I think it's important to point out that it wasn't necessarily quick or easy, the transition having preoccupied his entire undergraduate career.

What I see that it took to leave his movement was:

1. Tension and discomfort in the social environment and on a personal level: "experiencing clear and passionate outrage to what I believed from those I interacted with".
    2. A safe space in which to reflect on this tension and finally engage with it alongside friendly people: " many talks with devoted and diverse people there".

If you want to interpret this coarsely, you could say both "social shaming" and "safe spaces" are efficacious, but in synergy.

On the other hand, it's almost certainly not scale-able beyond individual cases.

Also, I failed to predict how that MENTION tag would turn out in the last post. I was trying to reach @Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; and also let me clarify that the connection is the interest in Medieval history scholarship. not that PVC is or was ever a white nationalist.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 09-04-2017 at 20:29.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

What I do know is that it's very strange/ironic when the guy who creates a white pride webpage has the last name "Black"...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Having taught at university for 20 years or so, I can assert that the sea-change in thinking and ignorance reduction that is possible over an undergraduate career is profound.

Having taught at university for 20 years or so, I can assert that the sea-change in thinking and ignorance reduction that is possible over an undergraduate career is profound.
    ... and resulted in electing Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    ... and resulted in electing Trump.
    Actually, it is commonly assumed here that Trump did most effectively with those who did not complete a degree. Pew Research

I am a poster child GOP supporter....and I could not bring myself to vote for that asshat.

Husar