Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 2749

Thread: Chess - Game Thread [Concluded]

Default Re: Chess - Game Thread [In Play]

Rest well, Pizza. I'm sorry this made you feel bad.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With three votes, Cuthillius has been hammered!

The game has ended. Out of deference to the host, I will not reveal the final result.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthillius View Post
    csargo

why did you think this

was it sheeping atpg's strong xiahou read and assuming people wouldn't go there?

you say you didn't think dp was that strong d1

but how do you think he's up for lynch yesterday

when that never even came close to happening

this pov baffles me

for the state the game was in yesterday

i get not keeping track of the game super much, but all the same
    I changed my mind on Xiahou at some point, because of his D1/D2 vote. He was basically vote and done in pretty much every phase, I didn't think he'd leave his votes on partners, because he probably wasn't going to show back up.

I'm working off what I know, and what I know is Monty is my lover and ATPG is pretty townie. That left you and Dp101.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    Oh well...

I was referring to my post that was after the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    I was referring to my post that was after the hammer.

Well well well. Looks like we have our winner at last! Let's first give honorable mentions to:

Cuthillius,

He was Viswanathan Anand.

Probably the chess player with the most difficult first name in the world you are a chess grandmaster and former world champion. You come from India, and the Indian Government have bestowed many honors and awards upon you. Your current rating is 2794.

You are a Vanilla Town.

Askthepizzaguy,
    He was Ben Finegold.

You are an American chess grandmaster. You have a successful youtube channel where you broadcast your chess classes with the young and hopeful, telling jokes way over their heads for your own amusement and in general enjoying life. You seem to enjoy jokingly (?) insulting others and talking about yourself a lot. Your current rating is 2488.

You are a Vanilla Town.

and

Csargo

He was Anatoly Sergievsky, also known as The Russian.

You are a chess champion, however you disliked the pressure put upon you from your manager and also the Russian government so much so that you deserted. You are quite the romantic. Your newfound lover, Florence, is always closeby for comfort. (Let's just not mention your Russian wife)

You can commune with your lover here.

You are a town lover.

Our master though, was one very fine, UNRATED:

Montmorency,

He was Florence, femme fatale of the chess world.

When you were young you were separated from your parents in Hungary during a rebellion, and you came to the United States. There, you fell in love with a chess champion, probably because he reminded you of your father. Unfortunately he was kind of a jerk, so while you accompany him on his journey to a championship in Milano you decide to leave him, and you meet Anatoly Sergievsky, or the Russian. He is now your lover. You can commune with your lover here.
    Seeing as your alliance with the Russian is hardly going to give you everything you want, you have joined ranks with three other individuals, and in your secret lair you plot for revenge on a chess world that's full of power struggles, drama and sore losers.

You are a mafia lover.

And this concludes our tournament.

I have decided that the quicktopics and other means of out of thread communication will not be released this game. I ask that you all respect that.

spreadsheet

Postgame starts now.

Member thankful for this post:

Dp101 

Facilitating Understanding Member Dp101's Avatar

WHAAAAAAAT

Ok, so, if I might ask, what was the plan behind switching to me EOD1? Cause I still don't understand that course of action, and I don't say that as a sidelong way of calling it bad or something, I legitimately don't understand what it was meant to accomplish.

Oh man, now that I think about it with the reveal, it's even harder to understand. A wolf wanted to CFD from a wolf to another wolf, a villager disagrees, so 2 wolves jump on him.

Also, Monty, I'm never townreading you again. Funny how lovers almost saved us in the end.

ggwp monty

GG all.

Well this was a game

Gg all

Grats wolves

Thanks for hosting sooh

Congrats Monty! Brilliant game. Didnt see that coming at all.Brilliant!

Also thank you Sooh for hosting and everyone for playing. This was fun!
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 10-18-2017 at 07:28.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

First off: Thanks so much to Sooh for hosting! Was actually alot of fun for the most parts :)

Seconds: Wtf ending :D. It's probably my lack of knowledge of this kind of set up but I'd never expected this. w/t lovers always constituted a 3p in all the games I've played so far so there was no chance of me ever winning this game considering everyhing else.... they could've outed themselves two days earlier and it wouldnt have made a difference for me most likely... so I guess I learned something here :D. Also: None of our towny needs to beat themselves up over it, I don't think anyone would've lynched the lovers.

Third: Monty: Sick play. While I don't think you were overall very towny your WIM all the fooking time was impressive... and probably won the game. If you'd been as iffy as others then maaaaaaaybe a lover lynch would've been a realistic option but like... yea right sounds easier to say when its done :)

Fourth: Csargo.. I hope you won't beat yourself up, chat buddying is one strong drug and Monty was sick in thread as well....

Fifth: Pizza: Holy shit you even pushed for the pair in the end (for the wrong reason but still... :D)... I'd never have done it, I'd gone with Cuth and be done with it... Really well played overall :).

Sixth: Myself: Sorry again for my outburst :(. Not something I ever do... actually thought about angly-shooty clearing myself off it later because as scum I'd have surrender after going this way... no way I ever AtE as scum, it's a digusting strategy. I also made a mistake in pusing myself, after Fred died there was a good chance of maybe me making it to F4 or w/e to have an impact still.... but I gave up and was too sure of my Xiahua read which was bad. Sorry for that as well :(. Though I'm like 99% certain I'd never have voted the lovers due to my experiece so nothing lost ^^...

"
    "There were four of us this morning. I'm the only one this evening.

But I must go on."
    Vitiate Man.

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

Monty? He was the last scum?

The hell?

yeah damn this game was locked ez win!!

Redshirt Member Smack the Rabbit Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Gunman Champion, Fly Sui Champion, The Streaker Champion, Ninja Turtles 1 Champion, Speedy Thief Champion, War In Iraq Champion, Yankee Go Home Champion Logic's Avatar

Thanks for hosting Sooh!

Around halfway through Day 2, I thought for sure the game would end quickly and in a town victory. But it looks like I didn't have enough faith in Comrade Monty. Fan--tastic game, Monty.

In case anyone is curious, I don't hold anything against you for killing me day 1. I played poorly, and suffered* as a result.

*metaphorically, of course.
    Aliases Yakostovian

I think this is definitely the first game I've won as Mafia without being carried by Pizza.

I never had a grand plan to get to endgame; didn't think there was a point to such a commitment. I always acted as I saw fit in the moment, tried to land the best safe kill, and hoped it would tide me over in sum. My townie WIM tends to increase as time goes on, so I had to at least maintain my activity in this game.

@Zack and @GeneralHankerchief should explain their own thinking EOD1. It just happened spontaneously. My perspective was:

'How I tricked an international grandmaster': Pizza, you were on an elite level, perhaps better due to the time allowed for your development. You were meant to be Strongmanned N1, but Logic died. I kept you alive afterward for WIFOM and because you liked me - hey, maybe eventually the Town could lynch you for me. But once I actually had a hope of winning the endgame, I was cursing you every night - and yet I could not kill you, whether for fear of protections, trapped in the web of WIFOM, or getting rid of the claimed PR. I'm sorry I couldn't put you out of your suffering; I appeal to destiny. I'm not sure why you town-read me more strongly than ever before. I played rather sloppy and unsophisticated for the most part and you ran circles around us. GH was privy to all my bungling, he knows what it is. I was struggling to avoid fool's mate, wondering how to draw out my resignation through pratfalls... How did you read me so town? If you never saw me so towny, even in games where I think I was townier, then surely there has been a disturbance in the Force. I suppose I've obliterated my meta and must endure the curse into the next game.

I think this is the way to explain why I won, or really why you lost: "Sometimes nothing blinds souls more profoundly than the apprehension of the Whole." But even if you were wrong on me Slaan and got caught up in the depth and breadth of your own thinking, the skill of your analysis there and with everyone else was peak Pizza. Maybe peak Pizza dominates the gameplay and discourages less-intense players, or even stunts the game development to some extent, but it still contributes to the overall experience. A truly awesome sight.

Winston just keeps getting better. In the old days he was but one more faceless lurker to me. Since Futuramafia I see he's top-shelf. Obvious alternative to Pizza N1.

Kage , another old master. Pizza was at his most useful after D2, and Kage seemed like the next kill down the Lock list, especially as the driver of the GH lynch, before I abandoned killing down the Lock list as a rapid way toward highlighting my own inexplicable survival in the late game.

Fred and Slaan are a bit jumbled in their thinking and presentation, but they are strong townies. Fred died N4 to silence his voice, and because I actually claimed my gift to Csargo and in the end for that and meta and mechanical reasons, I was committed to protecting Choxorn overnight.

Choxorn, well-played as the cautious PR. Your N3 gift to me worked out better than I feared it might. But you had to die eventually. Questions about how many doctor shots you had left to hand out plagued GH and I after your claim, to the point of the fear of getting blocked on the final night by your final stray gift (to Cuth or Csargo, being the only options) affecting calculations between killing Pizza and DP.

Csargo, my conjoined twin, if it makes you feel any better I struggled for most of the game to discern if you actually town-read me, or if you were plotting the optimal moment to destroy me.

Xiahou, I had hoped to see more of you, but despite - or given - your old-school lurking, your D1 record hitting GH and Zack was impressive. The D4 vote on Csargo also helped to upend the conventions of the game to that point, even if I managed to seize the initiative instead of Town.

DP, I agonized over the last NK. On one hand, Pizza would probably be more dangerous, but on the other hand, he was certainly VT by his lack of claim and lately was going full-throated after Csargo, so he should have been Cuth's last hope. And of course the fear of the stray gift.

As far as I can tell we didn't have any significant D1 strategy beyond going balls out to save Logic. I studied XCOM to see how Pizza cleared Logic, but we couldn’t put the lessons into practice. I did create the Choxorn wagon as an alternative to Logic: that was planned. The anti-Zack posts some people liked D1 (Pizza and Winston, did you already suspect Zack or was I more than a catalyst?) were an accident of my flow and not a contrived maneuver. We were really in the doldrums towards the end of D1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    I'm just saying, if you're unsure about your ability to go deep, don't bus d1 lol
    I was even meant to die before Logic, or very early at any rate. As a Lover I was only weighing my team down. We kind of accepted collective death after our D1 gambits went down in ignominous failure. Zack and GH full anti-spew. They mulled over claiming Masons or Neighbours for much of D2, but in the end it would have forced a confrontation with us Lovers. I only survived by default. During D3 I said in chat, "On the other other hand, ONCE PIZZA REALIZES HIS MODELS ARE FLAWED he will seriously re- evaluate the rankings and it might not go well for me". The next day my prediction came true, but by mere fortune Pizza fixated on Slaan rather than on me, who had some of the very tells that Pizza found to pick at. Slaan was scummy and Csargo was scummy, and I was scummy for many of the same reasons as far as content and associations at certain junctures, or my omissions. I thought I was screwed D4, but then I remembered that I had a pretty good case for arguing from my lovers role that scum could not be inside lovers. Again luck, or the obverse of the bad luck of getting this kind of rand. Still think it's an odd feature for this particular setup.

Thanks to Sooh and all for another good game!

Other music
    Vitiate Man.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Fun trivia: I'm bad at reading role PMs, so when I got mine at first I thought Csargo was my partner. I outed myself in the QT, but thankfully Csargo didn't see it before Sooh deleted the incriminating message.
    Vitiate Man.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Fun trivia: I'm bad at reading role PMs, so when I got mine at first I thought Csargo was my partner. I outed myself in the QT, but thankfully Csargo didn't see it before Sooh deleted the incriminating message.
    That’s hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dp101 View Post
    That’s hilarious.
    I was furious :P lol

I thought he had ruined the game before it started.

Its a shame we cant read trough the QT's because it would have been interesting to read through the development of the scum team and also witness the dynamics of the lover team. I kind of feel bad for Csar though. Pretty cruel role to be screwed no matter how the game developed.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Its a shame we cant read trough the QT's because it would have been interesting to read through the development of the scum team and also witness the dynamics of the lover team. I kind of feel bad for Csar though. Pretty cruel role to be screwed no matter how the game developed.
    How so?

How so?

Maybe i just dont quite clearly understand this lover mechanics as ive not witnessed one before where one is scum and one not.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I thought we were essentially renamed masons, until ATPG said otherwise.

Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889909192 LastLast