Thread: Graphics Card/PSU Question

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Graphics Card/PSU Question

So I bought a new graphics card today, and realized that my PSU isn't a high enough wattage to support it, so I'm going to have to upgrade that as well. My main question really is the GC came with an adapter that has an 8 pin connection and two six pin connections on the other end, which kind of confused me and I don't really understand what the point of that is. So I'm wondering if I'm going to have to replace the PSU anyways, it seems like it would make more sense to just get an 8 pin connector?

@Xiahou @Husar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Default Re: Graphics Card/PSU Question

That is impossible to answer without knowing what PSU you have, what GC you bought (exact make and model for both preferably) and what's in the rest of your system, i.e. what your CPU is.

What I can tell you is that the adapter is for people whose PSU does not support 150 Watts on a single 6 pin connector, so they have to combine two to connect them to the 8 pin connector on the GPU. If the PSU supports it, it usually has a dual 6/8 pin connector that allows both uses.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    That is impossible to answer without knowing what PSU you have, what GC you bought (exact make and model for both preferably) and what's in the rest of your system, i.e. what your CPU is.

What I can tell you is that the adapter is for people whose PSU does not support 150 Watts on a single 6 pin connector, so they have to combine two to connect them to the 8 pin connector on the GPU. If the PSU supports it, it usually has a dual 6/8 pin connector that allows both uses.
    I'm not sure what the brand of the PSU is, but it's 350 Watts. The GC is a EVGA ssc GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB, mobo is an MSI MS-7817 (H81M P-33).CPU is an i5-4690K and the graphics card that came with the computer when I bought it is a GeForce GT 730. If you need the brand of PSU then I can get that, but I'll have to open the computer back up.

My politically motivated hatred for this monopoly-computer (Intel + NVidia) aside, if that is not a cheap no-name PSU, it should be enough to power the GTX 1060, provided that it offers the required cables.

Then again the official spec sheet says the card only has one 6-pin connector: https://www.evga.com/products/specs/...B-04223CB59D85

Maybe the adapter is just there to split one 8-pin connector into two 6-pin ones for people with some odd PSUs? Either way these adapters can be ignored when they're not needed and the power usage of the 1060 is not that high anyway. Again, provided the PSU is not a terribly cheap model that cannot really handle what it is designed for.

With the 1060 you should get quite a significant boost as well from the 730!

My politically motivated hatred for this monopoly-computer (Intel + NVidia) aside, if that is not a cheap no-name PSU, it should be enough to power the GTX 1060, provided that it offers the required cables.

Then again the official spec sheet says the card only has one 6-pin connector: https://www.evga.com/products/specs/...B-04223CB59D85

Maybe the adapter is just there to split one 8-pin connector into two 6-pin ones for people with some odd PSUs? Either way these adapters can be ignored when they're not needed and the power usage of the 1060 is not that high anyway. Again, provided the PSU is not a terribly cheap model that cannot really handle what it is designed for.

With the 1060 you should get quite a significant boost as well from the 730!
    That's the wrong card, it's this one. Well actually they're exactly the same, except for the cooling and LED stuff after comparing them.

Yeah, I just got a cheap pre-built computer when I started going to school, so I would have something to do homework on and decently run games. As far as I can tell the current GC doesn't have a power cable, except for the fan from when I looked yesterday. So I would have to have to get an 8-pin cable to run from the PSU to the GC I guess? Unless there's some cables tucked away in there. Sorry for all the questions, but I've never really messed around with swapping out parts, except for RAM, so I don't want to mess anything up.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    As far as I can tell the current GC doesn't have a power cable, except for the fan from when I looked yesterday. So I would have to have to get an 8-pin cable to run from the PSU to the GC I guess? Unless there's some cables tucked away in there. Sorry for all the questions, but I've never really messed around with swapping out parts, except for RAM, so I don't want to mess anything up.
    The graphics card needs a 6-pin plug, yes?
    If your PSU has no 6 pin connectors, which seems kinda odd in this day and age, I know they do make adapters that take 2 regular 4-pin molex connectors and create a 6 pin connector. That might do the trick if your PSU can otherwise handle the load.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    The graphics card needs a 6-pin plug, yes?
    If your PSU has no 6 pin connectors, which seems kinda odd in this day and age, I know they do make adapters that take 2 regular 4-pin molex connectors and create a 6 pin connector. That might do the trick if your PSU can otherwise handle the load.
    @Xiahou No the graphics card has an 8-pin plug-in, it came with an 8-pin plug which is connected to two 6-pin plugs.
    Last edited by Csargo; 10-08-2017 at 01:48.

I see. It was either that card or the other one.

In that case you may actually get close to your 350Watts and if your PSU isn't really, really good, that's not advisable.

After checking a few reviews real quick, this one seems to be a very good PSU at an affordable price: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2012-_-Product

I found a cheaper one that also provides decent performance, the "Xilence Performance X 550W", but I can't seem to find that on Newegg or US Amazon.
    Then again the Pure Power above is 90€ here with VAT and only 65$ before VAT on Newegg.

I see. It was either that card or the other one.

In that case you may actually get close to your 350Watts and if your PSU isn't really, really good, that's not advisable.

After checking a few reviews real quick, this one seems to be a very good PSU at an affordable price: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2012-_-Product

I found a cheaper one that also provides decent performance, the "Xilence Performance X 550W", but I can't seem to find that on Newegg or US Amazon.
    Then again the Pure Power above is 90€ here with VAT and only 65$ before VAT on Newegg.
    I'd rather play it safe and just get another PSU, than chance it with my current one. I doubt the one that's in there now is high quality, so I'm just going to get a replacement when I get paid this week. Thanks for your help @Husar and @Xiahou !

So I got a PSU, not the one @Husar suggested because I couldn't find it on Amazon, but the same wattage. Changed everything out and it's working great so far. Thanks for all the help!

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

For future issues with GC´s and PSU´s.This site is quite helpful. : http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Members thankful for this post (2):