5 13.89%
  • no

7 19.44%
  • no, another freaking wolf idea

4 11.11%
  • man SP is my life, MP my wife (ahem)

0 0%

Thread: Signals on teh map

wouldnt it eb nice if (liek in warcraft) u could give signals on teh minimap or even on teh main map

to warn your allies, to give them an idea where ur on teh map pointing at...

its such a small feauture/goodie, would u like it?
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Cool

This is something i always wanted since stw.

I voted for main map, since it would be a lot easier to see and show the exact spot you are talking about.

Not sure if i would like unlimited signals, where people can keep clicking and flooding signals everywhere. Would need time apart from signals, unless you're with people you can trust not to flood...

One Time TW Player .. Member baz's Avatar

of course this would be good, how many times ive tried to explain"just to the left of those hills before the trees" knowing full well my ally hasn't got a clue hehe

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Yes I guess it could be nice but I feel its part of the fog/friction of war.

It is frustrating to tell an ally "Take that small hill in front of you" and he responds, apparently after putting blindfolds on "What hill??"

But IMO we are already seeing too much (both on main map and minimap).

If Im busy looking somewhere else and one enemy sends in an Alan to hit my arbs and my ally can quickly point on the map for me to see the problem...yes it would be nice but has gameplay been improved?

Or if you can see some units that are hidden on the minimap and show your allies where they are as their own camera is too far away.

CBR

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

no, no and, umm no

i dont even use the minimap

since when was rader used in medieval times.. let alone SMS'ing... messages are enough, if people cant understand them, then they probably wont help you anyway
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Well yes you might say its unrealistic but its a nice compromise.

In real life im not restricted to tunnelvision with 1280x1024 resolution, I can turn my head faster than moving the camera and might have aides that can tell me if they see anything.

But yes it could be a bit reduced..its too easy to see that an enemy has sent some units to help on the other flank and I really think you can see too far even on the main map: what type of unit and how many.

I want more uncertainty and less information

CBR

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Angry

Gah

Maybe something like having a 'flag' piece you could place and move on the board as a signal to your allies, would be very nice.

Maybe a Herald, like one horseman witha flag and a trumpet?

By the way, one of the things Krast misses from Shoggy is this: in Shoggy, when you switch from 'hold form' to 'engage' and back, the men shout. Well, scream, kinda. In fact, if you listen closely, you hear them saying 'Gah'.

Now in MTW, when you issue these commands you get only a funny little voice saying something weak. Ho hum.

Krast used to use this feature to frighten his enemies and also to signal his allies, but ... no more.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

krast, you mean something like the archers "Hazar, intentity"
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

No

Remove the minimap, remove the units menu, remove the flags. Let us have some confusion as to mirror how hard it could be to control. And the units should not obey commands that precise, just too unrealistic...

Gimme a R, E, A, L, I, S, M Weee

or is it constans, which is latin and means something like constant or immovable, or maybe even reliable/dependable.

Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Blog Entries

hell, i shit on realism

this is a game and should be fun we sit in a chair and control 1000 men strong armys, u realy call this realism?
    u sit in warm room?
    u sleept last days?

this idea is realy nice, if u play u can easy(withput typing, wich always took some times) show ur ally where a hotspot is.

AMP is right, thats a small problem, but u could add a button, so u can activate or deactivate it...

koc

Flare I want Flare Gun or button
    Luck Often Comes if Courage Holds

I would appreciate the inclusion of this.

For now I guess I will have to say "30 degrees to your general's starboard" or something like that.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Kocmoc @ Jan. 10 2003,10:12)]hell, i shit on realism
    I agree. If your units didn't listen to what you told them to do....you know how frustrating that would get? I get frustrated as it is, and yell a bit too much for my neighbors' liking. If my units didn't listen to me, then who knows what would happen. This is a good idea, but I agree there should be the ability to turn it on/off.

Senior Member Senior Member Kas's Avatar

I think there is something to say for both, perhaps a seperate "Fog of War" (limited vision and control, smoke, dust etc.) and a "Buck Rogers in the 25th century" (radar, flags, flawless control etc.) setting...and it must be made hard to attack your ally (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+CAPS+F12...twice )

Kas
    On Steam: Kas

JoJoSan, can you forgive me?

that would erase the advantage of players using voice communication

good idea
    ELITEofKyl

Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?

Wer nicht hüpft, ist Osnabrücker, hey, hey!

I'd love it and suggested the idea too a while ag, but on the main map would be my preference, for those who want realism, they could just make an animation of an ultra fast alan running towards the spot and planting a flag .
    Abandon all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alrowan @ Jan. 08 2003,09:31)]i dont even use the minimap

WHAT???

I'd be completely lost without that minimap, how else to keep a lookout on your main lines while you concentrate on that cav raid on the enemy rear???

I like the Khans idea, very much so.

PS I want one of those ultra fast Alans

Regards,

{RVN}Vandal - Boyar of Clan Raven

Never disturb an enemy when he is making a mistake

Maybe it would be good, remember armies had scouts and used flags to signal. On the other hand, as CBR says, perhaps we see too much already...I never liked the mini map. I would like to see ambush become a reality. Ok people say this is a game and not realism, sure, we all have 16 units. If I count only 12 or 13 facing me I know there is a surprise waiting.
    Ability to hide troops more effectively that's what I'd like to see, so maybe a change in the way we buy our armies?

.......Orda

Just a crazy idea:

Online match for the best of 3: U have a total amount for spend, but not needed to be always the same. Tha game calculate what have u spent and what is still available, so i.e: 30.000 fl. to spend in total.

1 game: A defend and spent 8.000
    B attack, spent 13.000
    2 game: A has still 22.000 fl to spend
    B only 17.000.

And the game calculate the ratios.
    It could be nice, perhaps finally all ppl decide to spend always 10.000 fl in each game, but perhaps no.
    And at least, vs strong players u can spend 28.000 on the first game and probably u will win 1 game at least

And it could be also nice, coz u are not totally sure how much money has ur enemy spent, so not sure about how armour can that alans be, or that boyars...

As i said, a crazy idea, or not?

mmmm, no, cant remember.