Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battlefield uses for Peasants...

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

MajorFreak if you notice I was talking about early game...
    So there is no crossbows around to take up the garrisoning. Later I begin to Change them out.

But they are really good for garrisoning in early game. Imagine you need your entire army from a province to attack. If you train one Urban Militia it might not be enough to stop a Bandit uprising, and the cheap 100 men in one turn is good for loyalty as well. Those are my reasons for using them to garrison. Slowly they vanish again (due to attrition from the Peasant Pincushion).
    If you really want to take a smaller castle, but better than Fort they are great at breaking open the gate. I use them for that quite often.

------------------
    BTW, Danish Crusades are true to history.

You may not care about war, but war cares about you!
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Lol, as fate would have it I read this thread before playing yesterday. When I did I had 2 or 3 battles where pesants where the largest part of my forces. I was like "You have got to be kidding me!"

So I tried a new formation I had been working on and I lived. The next battle I lived also. It turns out that if you use Pesants propperly they can be quite an asset. Use one group to attack, another to flank. Granted, most units will eat them alive and spearmen are much better but a pesant army is not a "No win situation"

------------------
    Praise the Lord for He is mighty and great!

I prefer to use what I call "peasantry" units. Cheapo units that you can build quit early on with little to no buildings. For example: Hobilars, woodsmen, vikings, gallowglasses, steppe cavalry, clansmen and the such. Most of these are region-based, and can make the game much more fun. They work wonders in the early game.

------------------
    "You there, knight!" "Yes, sir?" "We just lost that battle. Why did you order your men to charge that unit of enemy sergeants?" "Uh, I was impetuous, sir" "'IMPETUOUS!? Impetuous!? Men! Kill him, I want his head!"
    You there, knight Yes, sir? We just lost that battle. Why did you order your men to charge that unit of enemy sergeants? Uh, I was impetuous, sir 'IMPETUOUS? Impetuous? Men Kill him, I want his head

Actualy, I find the CLansmen to be exelent ambush troops even mid game. Recently I was fighting a hoard of Turks (3500 vrs my 600). I put the clansmen in the woods opposit my main force. SIngle handedly those clansmen saved my main forces half a dozen times, slaughtering entire units of Kaprati Cav and other cav and inf units. I couldnt belive it. Just use one group to hit them head on and anohter to go around and flank. Works like a charm...

------------------

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Yep. In a long, terrible fight against the momoheads, 2 of them plus a sergent's team did ambush several cavs of any kind, and destroyed them. I finally lost that one, but this did increas from far the enemie's losses.

------------------
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12