Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dungeon's FAQ

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Good idea having a FAQ.

A few that seem to crop up from time to time ...

FAQ: How can I add a new faction to the game ?
    FAQ: How can I play as one of the minor factions ?
    FAQ: How can I change the faction colours ?
    FAQ: What should I use to view/edit the BIF's/TGA's/LBM's ?
    FAQ: How can I make such a unit available to such a faction/such a period ?
    FAQ: How can I change the price or other statistics (eg: strength) for a unit ?
    FAQ: How do people edit Crusader_unit_prod11 ?
    FAQ: I've changed Crusader_unit_prod11 and I now get error messages when MTW loads ?
    FAQ: How can I change the Vices and Virtues for my leaders ?
    FAQ: How can I create new maps or change provinces ?
    FAQ: How can I change the Glorious Achievements ?
    FAQ: I've changed one of the Early/High/Late scripts but it does'nt now show up as selectable in MTW ?

Barocca - if we suggest new FAQ's do you want us to provide a brief answer as well (although most/all FAQ's are answered in one or other threads the answers may be spread over several threads/posts). Let me know.

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Wellington @ Dec. 15 2002,02:49)]Good idea having a FAQ.
    A few that seem to crop up from time to time ...
    Quote[/b] ]FAQ: How can I add a new faction to the game ?
    this is a guide style Q, too long for an FAQ

Quote[/b] ]FAQ: How can I play as one of the minor factions ?FAQ: How can I change the faction colours ?
    FAQ: What should I use to view/edit the BIF's/TGA's/LBM's ?
    FAQ: How can I make such a unit available to such a faction/such a period ?
    FAQ: How can I change the price or other statistics (eg: strength) for a unit ?
    FAQ: I've changed Crusader_unit_prod11 and I now get error messages when MTW loads ?
    FAQ: How can I change the Vices and Virtues for my leaders ?
    FAQ stuff - can you point me at threads that answer these please (for palying minor faction including titles, heirs and so on...)

Quote[/b] ]FAQ: How do people edit Crusader_unit_prod11 ?
    FAQ: How can I create new maps or change provinces ?
    thes are guide style Q's, too long for an FAQ

Quote[/b] ]FAQ: How can I change the Glorious Achievements ?
    FAQ: I've changed one of the Early/High/Late scripts but it does'nt now show up as selectable in MTW ?
    FAQ stuff - can you point me at threads that answer these please

Quote[/b] ]Barocca - if we suggest new FAQ's do you want us to provide a brief answer as well (although most/all FAQ's are answered in one or other threads the answers may be spread over several threads/posts). Let me know.
    providing me with a link to any thread that you think covers the Q would be brilliant, time is short for me this week, i need all the help i can get,

if you know the answer off the top of your head, and it's really simple, i will glady accept your explanations.

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

now with the guide style Q's,

when the guides are written we will add them to the list for the FAQ,
    as well as to the main guide listing,

thus we will be covered by referring peeps to FAQ
    agreed?

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Yeah,

I appreciate some of those FAQ's require long winded answers and/or are fully covered in existing Guides. But, to my mind, I think a FAQ should be a "first point of reference" that may simply point the questioner to a more fuller explanation.

Also, some FAQ's don't have a positive answer. I would think (IMHO) it would be just as well to include such FAQ's and explain why it can't be done.

I'll sift though a few threads and try to collate brief replies to some of the following.

i agree wholeheartedly,

those nine questions represent about 5 hours work, tracking down the answers, and editng the formatting - you would not believe how many nested tables i had to wade through to tidy them up,
    so all help graciously accepted
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

here's a couple other Q's that come up from time to time:

Q: Why wont my custom castle maps show the castle walls falling over when i play them in custom games?

A: There is a small bug (in ver. 1.0 and 1.1) that prevents this from occurring unless you reboot the game; then they will work fine.

how do i change the tech tree (or one item within it)?

Q: Can I get the ai to build more ships, and if so, then how do I do it?

A: The quick answer is, yes, it can be done. To see how, check the appropriate guide.

will a province that produces X tradable goods trade with another province that produces the same goods, and how do i change tradable goods and resources?

can i get the sahara as a playable province?

what are all these 'FreeXX' or 'slots' do and how do i use them?

how do i alter or make a new campaign map?

why do i need 4 different campaign maps?

Q: How do I change the starting and ending dates for a campaign?

A: See Barocca's FAQ list here: http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....;t=3461

Q: How do I alter missile stats, e.g. accuracy, range, power, etc.?

A: The file for altering missile stats is 'ProjectileStats.txt', found in the 'Medieval - Total War' directory. See the Guide for more details.

Q: My modded campaign doesnt show up in the campaign list. why?

A: The main reason for this is you have a typo in your Early.txt file. It may also be that you've erased a tab somewhere, but most common is a typo.

Q: Is barocca really bald?

A: Not since he started using Rogaine for Modders.

when i alter the lukmap in paint shop pro it alters my file size or wont save as the same file size. what do i do?

Q: How do I remove land bridges for playability?

A: See Barocca's FAQ list here: http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....;t=3461

Q: How do I remove land bridges visually?

A: The part of the campaign map that you see is a 'window dressing' map. It's only function is to visually show various aspects of the terrain and the terrain itself. There are two maps involved with this, MapTex.tga and MapTex2.tga. One is for lower resolutions and #2 is for higher resolutions. These .tga files can be edited and used within the game and won't affect any of the game mechanics. They are ONLY a visual reference. Thus, if you wanted to erase the lines showing the land bridges, you would simply load the file up in a paint program that can handle .tga files, edit the map and save it with the same name. If you only ever play in lower resolutions, you should only have to edit the lower resolution map.

Q: How do I alter the names and other visual stuff on a campaign map?

A: See the answer under 'How do I remove land bridges visually'.

how do i load and save tab delimited files?

if train A leaves los angeles at 1 p.m. heading to new york at 90 mph, and another train leaves new york at 3 p.m. heading to los angeles at 100 mph, at what point will barocca miss each train if he's in chicago?

Q: How do I alter the starting money for factions?

A: In the Early, High-, or Late.txt files, found in the campmap\startpos directory, find the spot in the file where it says:

//========================================
    //Starting Treasury
    //Sets the amount of cash available to
    //each faction at the start of the game.
    //you can specify 4 values for the four
    //difficulty levels in the order EASY,
    //NORMAL, HARD and EXPERT. Specify only one
    //value to start all difficulty levels with
    //the same size treasury.
    //If you don't set this, the default
    //is 2000 florins for all difficulty levels.
    //========================================
    SetTreasury:: FN_ALMOHAD 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_BYZANTINE 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_EGYPTIAN 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_ENGLISH 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_FRENCH 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_GERMAN_HRE 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_ITALIAN 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_POLISH 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_SPANISH 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_TURKISH 10000 8000 6000 4000

SetTreasury:: FN_HUNGARIAN 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_NOVGOROD 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_PAPIST 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_SICILIAN 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_DANISH 10000 8000 6000 4000
    SetTreasury:: FN_ARAGONESE 10000 8000 6000 4000

Note: The AI seems to always use the 'Normal' setting for its starting money.

How do i alter how many heirs i get and their sexes?

how do i alter my faction leaders?

how do i make historical battles?

how do i link historical battles for historical campaigns?

can i change or add to or delete items from the random battle list?

why do i keep getting the same battle when i play the random battles?

why is Target called Targ-etc?

can i alter the textures and tiles used in the game?

why do i get a message in MP games that a player has used more money than he's been allocated?

how do i use my altered stats in mp games?

how many different starting factions can one have in a campaign?

is there a manual for the map editor?

how does water work in the map editor?

how do i remove that lapping water in the map editor?

my map crashes when i make castles. why?

how do i edit the 'impassable' zones on my map?

can i alter the deep water on a campaign map to make it passable to all ships....and vice versa?

how do i edit the starting positions on a custom map?

how do i alter the weather so that it doesnt rain so much?

can i add new textures to the map editor?

are there going to be any more official tools or editors so i can alter all this stuff more easily?

if i start a modded campaign and then change the startpos files, will my current campaign be affected or do these files only affect a new campaign?

can i edit in a new faction during a running campaign?

how do i make a faction come in as an invader rather than as a starting faction?

can i alter the behavior of the AI in any way?

Q: Can I add, alter or remove agents from the start-up?

A: Yes, agents can be added or removed as starting units in the game. This is done in the early, high, and late.txt files, near the bottom of the file. I haven't tried all the various agents, but I have added and removed princesses and emissaries personally.

how do i play as the rebels?

is there a list of the cheat codes anywhere?

can i alter what units and buildings a faction or province gets at the start of a campaign?

Q: Is there any way to return the game to seasonal turns rather than yearly turns?

A: No. However, one person did change the use of the term 'years' to 'turns'. See threads or guides for more info on that.

how do i alter how much money is in the game?

can i make my own 3d models for a map, like cathedrals and monastaries and so on?

can i make my own buildings for the campaign game?

the ai builds ships, but they all just sit in one sea zone and dont spread out for a proper trade route; how can i get them to spread out and take advantage of trading better?

how do i get the AI to stop starting so many wars at sea?

how do i get the AI to accept more peace treaties, particularly later in the game?

do the developers ever visit in here?

i've made this cool mod; how do i get it made available and get others to use it?

what tiles or other features produce impassable zones on a custom map?

can i make water passable, you know, shallow water?

Q: Can I install the game more than once on the same machine and have both copies work without screwing something up in one or the other?

A: Yes. Just make sure you set your path when installing a 2nd time to something other than what the first copy is using; otherwise you will just overwrite your original. If done correctly, you should see an entry on your 'Start\Programs' menu that says: 'Total War-alt', along with your first copy which just says 'Total War', and depending on whether you allowed this, a second desktop icon, with a slight deviation to it showing that this is also a 2nd entry.

if i make this mod, can i post it without infringing on copyrights or trademarks?

if i make this mod and use pictures, or objects, or other items from another game within this game, and post it, will i be infringing on copyrights or trademarks?

can i use images from the game on my web site without fear of copyright or trademark infringements?

Q: Can the maps from Shogun and Warlords/Mongol Invasion be used in M:TW?

Q: Can I import the textures from STW/WE/MI to M:TW?

bar,

i dont know exactly how you want all this stuff handled. how do you want this stuff handled and formatted and so on? you want every question and answer in a separate post or you want it all in one post or what?

i can help with some of this stuff from time to time and if you like, i can just edit this post with some answers if that's easier for you.

K.

Kraellin,

WOW I'm impressed

But ... FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions, this phrase generally refering to similar questions asked by various individuals over a period of time.

wellington,

yeah, i know, but let's take it from a newbie's viewpoint. some guy comes in with a question. he doesnt know if his question is 'frequently asked' or not. all he knows is he's got a question. where does he go?

if you've got several faq's and guides and search engines and so forth, where does he go and where will that take him if he does? if a faq is ONLY 'frequently' asked questions, the guy comes in, sees nothing in the FAQ and may figure, 'hmm, nothing here. guess they dont know'. to me, a FAQ is a place to start. it may link to longer explanations and guides and manuals and technical support and so forth, but it's THE place to start, thus, you want it to be like a sort of extended table of contents, extended in that it does also have some short answers instead of just being a table of contents. if the answer isnt short, then you simply link him to the guide/manual section.

and that, of course, is just one way to do it. you could do a formal table of contents/index thing, with the FAQ being linked to in there, or, have the FAQ as the main source and link the table of contents from there. but when i go to a site with a specific question, and particularly when i'm a newbie to that site, i want the faq to answer my question, and if it cant, then i want it to direct me to somewhere that can, no matter how obscure my question and no matter how many times someone else has asked it. ya see what i'm saying here? i just want an answer; i have no idea how many times it's been asked or not; a faq, to me, means, here are the answers in a short form; if you want a longer, more technical explanation, go here.

hehe, but that's just me. this stuff can and is done all sorts of different ways around the web, so, it's just a matter of organization of data so that folks can find it. tables of contents, faqs, indexes, searches... it's all just a way to find answers, so how do you make it easy for folks to find the answer to that one question that is just driving them nuts?

just as an example of how badly this can be done, i recently, yesterday in fact, tried to get a new piece of software working. i kept getting an error message on it. i looked at the offline help first. no answer. i went to their online tech support and read the faq. no answer and the question wasnt even listed. i then read a short manual thing. no answer. i read the long manual. no answer. i walked through the auto-find-and-fix thing. no answer. i tried fooling around with the software itself some more. no answer. finally, i found a readme that came with the software and it had one little reference that solved the problem, or least showed me what i needed to do first. quite amazing, actually. the error was listed when i ran the software and it even suggested some fixes, but those didnt work. it also had a system checker that showed one thing as possibly wrong, but there was no help info about that offline or online until i found that one little blurb in the readme.

so, ya see what i'm saying here? there was no ONE place i could go that would steer me to the right answer. i actually found it while looking to see if i couldnt bypass the software altogether. and this is what i dont want us to do. you generally want ONE SOURCE from which a person can track down his/her answer(s). START HERE is what i'm saying. whether you use a faq for this or a table of contents or a search engine thing or an index or whatever; there shld be ONE PLACE you go first and to which we can all refer someone's questions to and they can start tracking down answers from there. that's all :)

you and me and barocca and giskard and LK and doc and others are like the pioneers. we go out into the land of files and tear them apart and map things out and post notes about this and that and try out various stuff and that's what we do. we read each other's notes and maps and go, cool. and we're in here a lot and see a lot of the stuff that is posted and sort of know where to go and what to look for and we post our stuff and our mods and we're happy as clams on a beach. but there's another type that comes in here also. they're not pioneers, or maybe they're just late arriving pioneers, so they want to know the roadmaps that already exist without having to read the entire forum. or, maybe they're not pioneers at all. maybe they just want to make use of what's mapped out already or have something specific they're looking for, so, you want a roadmap available to them so we dont spend all our time answering the same questions over and over. so, the question is, are ew going to hand them 16 different road maps, or do we hand them one and say, START HERE. what you call that START HERE thing is just a matter of using something familiar that folks know is usually a START HERE sort of thing. so, is that a faq, a guide, a manual, a readmefirst, or what?

lol. ok, i've gotten carried away again. barocca, ban me now i cant seem to stop myself ;)

K.

Kraellin, i'm on my way to work,
    i just had a quick browse,
    if you would be so kind as to edit your post to include the answers that would be good,
    for redundant Q's, i agree, we can have multiple Q's pointing at the same answer,
    we will also link to guides and official doc's (tech/readme/known issues/ etc) from the FAQ as needed.

once the faq gets to a certain size i will probably organise it into sections, SP play, map making, etc etc...

if a Q could be in more than one section, then i will put it in more than one section
    :-)
    (time to go to work...cya)
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

little by little i'm editing in the stuff i know. however, i just dont know it all. you guys can help here. if you know an answer to any of my faq questions, either post the link to the answer in this thead and i'll link it into my post with the questions and answers, or, write a guide and let me know where it is and i'll link to it, or write up the answwer in here and i'll either quote to it or link it.

the same is true if you know any questions not covered here. just write up a post here and i'll quote to it.

K.

Sorry I tend to read a lot, snuck that one in there about Barroca being bald didnt ya.

Naagi
    If i pull the arrow out, will you suck out the poison?

hehehe, a lot of my jokes get missed, naagi :)

K.

let me assure you i saw the jokes,
    i'm just trying to decide which punishment avatar i should assign to Kraellin...
    -
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Quote[/b] (barocca @ Dec. 21 2002,16:29)]let me assure you i saw the jokes,
    i'm just trying to decide which punishment avatar i should assign to Kraellin...
    -
    LOL, but wait, there is another funny one :

rofl. my bad ;)

K.

I should state for the record that imposition of any of those avatars is probably a violation of the 8th amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment

AMENDMENT VIII
    "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishment inflicted, nor heinous avatars like smurfs or ewoks inflicted."
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

note to self
    .unfreeze. creates an heir automatically next turn,
    (i think it also creates rebellions - as a penalty - not sure yet, needs more testing...)
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

i have got to make some time to do more work on this FAQ

in the meantime
    another note to self

To remove the intro movies

in the same directory as the medieval executable create a blank notepad document called
    skipcredits.txt
    (all lowercase)
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote[/b] (barocca @ Jan. 16 2003,17:05)]i have got to make some time to do more work on this FAQ

in the meantime
    another note to self

To remove the intro movies

in the same directory as the medieval executable create a blank notepad document called
    skipcredits.txt
    (all lowercase)
    I'v been meaning to do that for months too
    frequently forgoten task.
    LK

Does anybody know of a good site with plenty MTW mods?

Thank you in advance.

Quote[/b] (JANOSIK007 @ Feb. 21 2003,19:06)]Does anybody know of a good site with plenty MTW mods?

Thank you in advance.
    This one - if you can ever manage to actually download anything

How can I paste a picture on the post?

Apparaently this isn't a well know startpos command - people are still asking how to change the end date:

SetGameEndDate:: 2003
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ Mar. 04 2003,09:59)]Apparaently this isn't a well know startpos command - people are still asking how to change the end date:

SetGameEndDate:: 2003
    ECS,

Nice info - thanks for that.

Any more 'hidden' startpos/script keywords or parameters that may be useful to this group, or that CA may reveal in the forseeable future?

Whilst it's always nice to receive new information - it's far better to receive KNOWN information ASAP Knowing this 6 months ago when MTW was released would have saved a lot of people a lot of time

Target posted this when the patch came out. I posted this once upon a time too in the main hall. This is the list of command for the patched game, I think...

SetNeighbours
    SetBorderInfo
    SetActiveFaction
    SetTreasury
    SetRegionOwner
    SetRegionCulture
    SetTerrainDir
    MakeUnit
    MakeBuilding
    PlaceLeader
    SetStartDate
    SetEarlyPeriodStartDate
    SetHighPeriodStartDate
    SetLatePeriodStartDate
    SetGameEndDate
    SetPeriod
    SetStartLeader
    AddHeir
    SetOrigin
    SetPort
    SetCastle
    SetNumCastleMapGroups
    SetInitialAgIncome
    SetAttributes
    SetBattleMaps
    SetCastleMaps
    SetResources
    SetTradableGoods
    SetReligion
    SetShieldImage
    SetCulture
    SetBehaviour
    AddTitle
    AddOffice
    cd_predefined
    cd_line
    cd_hidden
    cn_predefined
    cn_title
    cn_short_title
    im_path
    im_std
    im_predefined
    im_line
    om_won_path
    om_lost_path
    om_std
    om_predefined
    om_line
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ Mar. 05 2003,05:20)]Target posted this when the patch came out. I posted this once upon a time too in the main hall. This is the list of command for the patched game, I think...
    ECS,

WOW Never seen this list before.

I'm sure some of these startpos keywords (that modders ar'nt familiar with) will raise more questions than answers

I'll have to try a couple out and see what happens. I can probably have a quick stab/guess at some of the "new" ones. Expect a few queries on this.

Anyway, ECS, many thanks for your assistance. We all know how busy yourself/CA must be at this time what with VI and RTW - so taking time to provide us with such info is greatly appreciated.

Welly

wellingtom, you're right on the money.
    does any one know what do the fallowing do, and how do you use them?
    SetRegionCulture
    SetTerrainDir
    SetGameEndDate (just how do you use this)
    SetNumCastleMapGroups
    SetInitialAgIncome
    im_path
    im_std
    im_predefined
    im_line
    om_won_path
    om_lost_path
    om_std
    om_predefined
    om_line
    MILLER: I wish we lived in the day where you could challenge a person to a duel.

MILLER: Now, that would be pretty good.

The short answer is I donno know. There are not used in the startpos that shipped with the game. They may or may not work but aren't really that important. This is what I think they do:

im is short for intro movie, om is outro after you've won or lost, in mpg format. _path_id expects a string like im_path_id:: "movie\start" without the file extension. _std_id is a subtitle delay in millisecond, it expects integer. Set _predefined_id to true if you have subtitle. _line_id are labels into startpos loc txt file. I think the outro command are not used at all, but the intro stuff may still work.

SetRegionCulture:: ID_LAND CATHOLIC_CULTURE
    over write the culture of a region

SetTerrainDir:: "path to ground texture dir"

SetNumCastleMapGroups:: 4
    specifies the number of castle map groups available not sure how it works exactly, but it is linked to the name of the castle maps.

set_init_agri_income_id:: 100
    100 is the default, it scale the cash generate from fram up and down.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

ECS is it possible to somehow eliminate the annoying re-appearnaces the pope makes after he is eliminated or is this hardcoded ? Just asking because it seems alot of people would like to be able to do this by modding?
    Taking life one day at a time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast