Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding new factions in VI

Exclamation

According to ECS's post, we are supposed to be able to add new factions without having to overwrite existing ones. Has anyone figured out how to do that yet?

I am running into the same issues I had with MTW when I try to add factions.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

erm i think you mean the units?

there are 10 empty bif files to make new units
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

New factions are suposed to be moddable I tought.
    I don't have it yet so I can't confirm that.
    However from the docs I'v seen so far it looks
    more possible I just need an engine and the rest of the
    files to make sure.

sorry.

LK

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Stormer @ May 09 2003,16:39)]erm i think you mean the units?

there are 10 empty bif files to make new units
    No he means factions by some of the startpos info ECS gave us it indicates you can add your own factions to the game . I just got my copy this morning and I am giving the files a good look and should have an answer after a few tests here is the data block from the viking era file in Campmap/Startpos. Faction declarations.
    //
    // These MUST be declared before
    // being used anywhere else in this file.
    //
    // The number of factions is restricted to >.
    // Faction 0 is always the faction used to
    // identify rebel groups.
    //
    // The proper game will search for these
    // faction labels and act upon them for
    // a number of things such as historical events.
    // MODDERS use different names to avoid this.
    //
    // Faction ID's are assigned in the order the
    // declarations are found in.
    //
    // eg:-
    //
    // DeclareFaction:: "rebellious_badger" -> assigned to 0
    // DeclareFaction:: "faction_underpants" -> assigned to 1
    // DeclareFaction:: "abc" -> assigned to 2
    //
    // When refering to factions in the production files
    // you must use the names you have declared here.
    //
    // For factions set to FT_MAJOR ( playable )
    // files need to be placed in the campmap\GameEnd
    // directory in the form "MyFactionName_win.bif". Looks like it will be fun to figure out.
    Taking life one day at a time!

[/QUOTE]max amount of factions was 20
    It had always been intended to handle 31 + rebel factions, but due to some unknown oversight or bug, it seems on one has managed to add in extra factions. With VI it is easy to add factions, you can have up to 31 plus rebels.

[QUOTE]This qoute was from Eat Cold Steel CA programmer the original is in a pinned thread "Changes to startpos files in VI" here in the dungeon.

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

Adding factions should be easier than it was before. You just have to go and find all the text files that need to be altered. I think someone added a Scots faction to the game some months ago. I assume that it is posted here at the org. I would get it and use it as a reference. Then you just need to find out what is different in the VI file system.
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

Quote[/b] (WesW @ May 09 2003,21:38)]Adding factions should be easier than it was before. You just have to go and find all the text files that need to be altered. I think someone added a Scots faction to the game some months ago. I assume that it is posted here at the org. I would get it and use it as a reference. Then you just need to find out what is different in the VI file system.
    I am looking how to add new factions not alter existing ones. Up until VI, adding additional new factions wasn't possible.

It would be interesting and challenging to have more factions available in MTW, particularly for the early campaign. The additional units open up some interesting opportunities.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ May 09 2003,19:53)]
    max amount of factions was 20
    It had always been intended to handle 31 + rebel factions, but due to some unknown oversight or bug, it seems on one has managed to add in extra factions. With VI it is easy to add factions, you can have up to 31 plus rebels.

This qoute was from Eat Cold Steel CA programmer the original is in a pinned thread "Changes to startpos files in VI" here in the dungeon.
    Yes, I read that too and tried adding a new faction. I had the same issues as before. I was asking if anyone had been successful in adding one.

Quote[/b] (Turbo @ May 10 2003,09:06)]
    Quote[/b] (WesW @ May 09 2003,21:38)]Adding factions should be easier than it was before. You just have to go and find all the text files that need to be altered. I think someone added a Scots faction to the game some months ago. I assume that it is posted here at the org. I would get it and use it as a reference. Then you just need to find out what is different in the VI file system.
    I am looking how to add new factions not alter existing ones. Up until VI, adding additional new factions wasn't possible.

It would be interesting and challenging to have more factions available in MTW, particularly for the early campaign. The additional units open up some interesting opportunities.
    Actually adding new factions to MTW was and is possible using the fn_free slots it involves alot of work but it can be and has been done on TW.com a guy named AOD Bradford had a mod with 30 factions functional.He posted a faq on how to I have most of it but it was never completed.

As far as I know nobody ever saw this infamous 30 faction mod. Although several people asked AOD Bradford if he could sent this mod, he never did and never responded to this questions. His modding guide was very good but I seriously doubt he really made this mod. He stopped posting parts of his modding instructions just when he wanted to explain how to create a new faction.
    Several other people claimed to have made mods with new factions but nobody ever saw any proof of this.
    As far as I know the fn_free slots did not work in the original MTW. Hopefully VI will change this.

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

Here. This is at the top of the Early campaign file. Just append your faction's name, and go from there.

//========================================
    // Faction declarations.
    //
    // These MUST be declared before
    // being used anywhere else in this file.
    //
    // The number of factions is restricted to >.
    // Faction 0 is always the faction used to
    // identify rebel groups.
    //
    // The proper game will search for these
    // faction labels and act upon them for
    // a number of things such as historical events.
    // MODDERS use different names to avoid this.
    //
    // Faction ID's are assigned in the order the
    // declarations are found in.
    //
    // eg:-
    //
    // DeclareFaction:: "rebellious_badger" -> assigned to 0
    // DeclareFaction:: "faction_underpants" -> assigned to 1
    // DeclareFaction:: "abc" -> assigned to 2
    //
    // For factions set to FT_MAJOR ( playable )
    // files need to be placed in the campmap\GameEnd
    // directory in the form "MyFactionName_win.bif"
    //========================================

DeclareFaction:: "FN_REBEL"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_ALMOHAD"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_BYZANTINE"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_DANISH"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_EGYPTIAN"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_ENGLISH"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_FRENCH"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_GERMAN_HRE"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_ITALIAN"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_POLISH"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_RUSSIAN"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_SPANISH"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_TURKISH"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_ARAGONESE"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_BURGUNDIAN"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_GOLDEN_HORDE"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_HUNGARIAN"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_NOVGOROD"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_PAPIST"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_SICILIAN"
    DeclareFaction:: "FN_SWISS"
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

Quote[/b] (Westland @ May 10 2003,16:41)]As far as I know nobody ever saw this infamous 30 faction mod. Although several people asked AOD Bradford if he could sent this mod, he never did and never responded to this questions. His modding guide was very good but I seriously doubt he really made this mod. He stopped posting parts of his modding instructions just when he wanted to explain how to create a new faction.
    Several other people claimed to have made mods with new factions but nobody ever saw any proof of this.
    As far as I know the fn_free slots did not work in the original MTW. Hopefully VI will change this.
    I never saw the Mod myself either, but as far as the FN_FREE slots working I asked the same question of Eat Cold Steel ECS programmer and he says it is possible heres is a prtion of his response
    Quote[/b] ]The maximum number of faction ever is 32. I donno what problems people have when using FN_FREE slots, as long as you don't change the label FN_FREE then you should be ok. If you have any specific question on using those extra factions then I'll try to answer them. The only problem I can see is not being able to set their colour, or maybe their faction shield?
    So if he says it could be done I think I beleive him after all he works at the company that makes the game.Edit: the entire post can be seen in the Dungeons Faq thread.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

You know where it says place leader and there are some co-ordinates,what does this mean? I thought it was where your king starts. Therefore how are we supposed to know the starting co-ordinates for say,Bohemia or Wallachia?
    How can i make a faction without knowing these?

Adding the factions was possible it's just the flags
    and silly little coded stuff like that stoped it from
    working.
    Seen as all the factions needed a flag
    and only x amount of flags existed then
    only the equal amount of factions could be given a flag.
    so that was that. Now the faction colours are RGB
    numbers up to 256 colours then it won't be an issue
    anymore it seems
    LK

Quote[/b] (The Blind King of Bohemia @ May 11 2003,09:44)]You know where it says place leader and there are some co-ordinates,what does this mean? I thought it was where your king starts. Therefore how are we supposed to know the starting co-ordinates for say,Bohemia or Wallachia?
    How can i make a faction without knowing these?
    In the Early, High, late text files the placeleader line remains as it was in the original MTW PlaceLeader:: ID_ALGERIA FN_ALMOHAD , in the Vikings text file this has changed to PlaceLeader:: ID_LANDREG_41 FN_01 The LANDREG # points to the landregion assigned for this number in DeclareLandRegion:: "ID_LANDREG_41" // LAIGIN the FN # corresponds to the Faction Name assigned in DeclareFaction:: "FN_01" // Irish . So it depends which file you are trying to edit. I am still trying to figure this out so sharing our finds is important.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

After looking at the Loc/Eng files ALOT recently I've descovoered that fact that only 11 other factyions can be implmemented properly, or it seems that way as most files only contain Free01-11, however I may be wrong so don't think thats definate.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Well my first attempt at adding a new faction to VI , failed, I used the VIKINGS txt file and I followed the file structure, seemed pretty straight forward based on numbers in seqeunce existing factions FN_00-08 so mine was 09 added everything following the file structure in the startpos, unit prod 11 and you even have to add a finish bif in Campmap/Gameend and all I got was the game would not even boot back to the drawing board.

If the game crashed while loading into stratgy map, it is most likely a problem with shields. To add a new faction, you have to do DeclareFaction, SetActiveFaction and SetShieldImage. Give it a region to begin with, SetStartLeader, PlaceLeader.
    That's the bare minimum you have to do to get a new faction in the game.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

I am sure I covered all the bases as far Declare Faction,etc. I followed the existing file structure and for the shield I used the Rebels default I think this is acceptable ? I am going over my entries for typos and anything I might have missed I saved the vikings txt file with the changes for reference and will start over any more thoughts on entries I might have missed please let me know.

Textures campmap has flags in it now
    so untill I know where everything is
    and why, I won't confuse the issue.

Try giving only one region to your new faction and remove all units assigned to that region apart from one Peasants. There could have been a mismatch on unit culture and faction cilture. Make sure your place leader in that region.

[edit] SetStartLeader has a tie in with the hero name files. Try SetStartLeader:: FN_NEW 0 0 to begin with.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Thanks ECS I will give that a try I had originally assigned them 3 Land Regions and kept the units and placeleader on just one. ECS Please check my last post in the Changes to Startpos in VI thread.

In SetStartLeader I just copied an existing line and added my FN # which is 9 I got it to boot now , then I remembered I did not make an entry for the leader unit in the prod 11 files , now I get an unknown faction error ? back to the drawing board.

Well I did it I was able to add a brand new faction to VI, it still needs some tweaking as far as leader name and buildings (still having some issues with the build 13 and unit prod 11 files) but my faction was on the select screen I was able to choose it. I took Eat Cold Steels suggestion and kept things simple with the units just peasants for know and King's unit. Funny thing was on the period select screen the High era was replaced by another Vikings era and that is where my new faction was.Well back to the drawing board,more work to iron out the kinks but it is progress this morning the game would not boot now my new faction shows up and is playable

LOS,

Send me a list of the files you have modded
    so far please.

(in relation to adding factions)

Thanks

LK

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I tried to get the Scots into the main game (Early) but like LOS the game wouldn't load up. For setstartleader I copied the Scots data from the Viking startpos. Is this acceptable or would I be better off just copying one already in Early, or leaving it as '0 0',etc?

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

Is anyone adding a Frankish unit?
    WORMS

The community units mod will be updated for
    vi so the 70 odd units from that will be added
    plus others.

Frankish units will be among them.

LK

Alright, simple guide to adding a new faction:
    Make a copy of viking.txt in your campmap\startpos directory
    Open up the copy with a text editor
    Lets go through the file from top to bottom.
    Change cn_title to some thing different like "new faction mod" so you can tell which is your mod
    Declare your new faction with DeclareFaction:: "FN_new"
    Activate your faction with SetActiveFaction:: FN_new FT_MAJOR
    Set your culture with SetCulture:: FN_new CATHOLIC_CULTURE
    Give yourself some shield by SetShieldImage:: FN_new "Welsh_lge" "Welsh_sml" "Welsh" "Welsh" "Welsh"
    Give yourself an island with SetRegionOwner:: ID_LANDREG_44 FN_new
    Now you need a king SetStartLeader:: FN_new 0 0
    and PlaceLeader:: ID_LANDREG_44 FN_new

That should be all you have to do to get a new faction to play with.
    Other things you'll have to do to get it to be more playable.
    SetTreasury:: FN_new to give yourself more starting cash
    Change you starting religion to something else, it defaults to catholic
    Give the AI a script to control the faction with SetBehaviour
    Change the colour with SetFactionCol
    Give an office or two with AddOffice
    Give some heir with AddHeir:: FN_new m/f age

More advance stuff to make it look good
    Change the prod file to give your new faction some troops and building
    Change the translation files to get rid of all the no translation Mostly in faction_specific and changes
    SetFactionMusic:: FN_new X - X can be 0 - 5, see playlist
    GGConquestReward:: FN_new 1.0 plus changing regowner_table to list some homeland for GA goals
    Make some heroes and kings with a copy of the hero files, and SetNameData::
    Then you can update SetStartLeader with extra stuff.

Thnaks ECS, I already managed to get my new faction to show up and be playable, One problem I have not figured out yet ,when I make an entry to build prod 13 or prod 11 files I get an unknown faction error "Unknown faction FN_09" any ideas? ( I used FN_09 as file suggests to use numerical sequence, exisiting provs. FN_0-FN_08)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast