Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding new factions in VI

Did you make a copy of the production files? The problem is that the original vikings startpos also refere to those production files, which does not include your new faction declaration, and hence you get the Unknown faction FN_09 error.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

I will get the VI this weekend but can someone send me the Unit and one of the startpos files of the VI to have a look at them. I think I can rebuilt my tools quite fast so it will be a lot easier for all.

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ May 13 2003,06:03)]Did you make a copy of the production files? The problem is that the original vikings startpos also refere to those production files, which does not include your new faction declaration, and hence you get the Unknown faction FN_09 error.
    No I made the changes in the original, so I copy the prod file then make the necessary changes, then save it? could you explain this in little more detail ( )sorry I have never added a new faction to MTW and just want to be clear, when I make the copy where do I save it ?thanks for your help and patience ECS
    Taking life one day at a time!

Ok, make sure you are not changing the original files, put it back to how it was before if you've made any changes. Now make a copy of viking.txt, in campmap\startpos, edit "Copy of viking.txt" and fine the line
    Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "vikings_unit_prod.txt" BUILDINGPROD "vikings_build_prod.txt"

And change it to

Prodfiles:: UNITPROD "copy of vikings_unit_prod.txt" BUILDINGPROD "copy of vikings_build_prod.txt"

Then go to the root and make copies of vikings_unit_prod.txt and vikings_build_prod.txt. Now make the mods you want with the new files without changing the original ones.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Thanks for this ECS, You have made this modder and others I am sure very happy, It will take some getting used to but the file structure for vikings is very user friendly I just love this GAME P.S. I am not at my home computer so I will try these tips as soon as I get home.

Quote[/b] (The Blind King of Bohemia @ May 12 2003,15:02)]I tried to get the Scots into the main game (Early) but like LOS the game wouldn't load up. For setstartleader I copied the Scots data from the Viking startpos. Is this acceptable or would I be better off just copying one already in Early, or leaving it as '0 0',etc?
    BKB, I would copy the existing leader stats over , with 00 you will get name translation errors.

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

Is there gonna be a Frankish faction? I meant to ask that in the first place.

Throwing Axemen? Carolingian Cav?

WORMS

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

I managed to add Munster as a faction to vi.
    It all seems to be working ok.
    I just made some basic changes as suggested above,
    hence some flags , names and so on don't show.
    But that's not a problem.

I figured I was too tired when I could not figure out
    why my king was a highland clansman, so I'll get back to that tomorrow.

Apart from me it all works ok it seems.

btw
    Total War\Medieval - Total War\Textures\campmap\Vikings\PrebatShields

add SHL09.BIF if you want to fight a battle
    in the campaign.

good night

LK

Lord Krazy, the problem with the Leader unit is in your Unit_prod-... file. If you have a new faction you must insert the leader unit in this file or it get the first unit type it finds hens the highland clansman.

Before you start moding it's best if you read thru viking.txt first, it has the most up to date comment, also the other startpos leave a lot of command out as they use the default value where as viking make use of the full range of keyword. There is no different in format between viking and the others, so if you see a keyword in one you can use it in the other. SetStartLeader ties in with the hero name file so take a look at that too.

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

Damn Took me hours to do all this and now what do I find here

Oh well. Not the greatest of modders and some things above which make things much clearer thanks ECS.

L_K you must have been tired even I knew that
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

OK i have my new faction showing up on the select screen, I can choose it the leader,names are all right , I can build anything but as soon as I build a warrior hold it crashes to desktop, also none of the buildings are showing up even though they are under makebuilding in startpos this is the one sticking point I got everything else to work whats up ECS P.S. Problem seems to be editing the unit build prod 13 file ? I am using Land Reg 37 as my province if that helps.

I am think it may be the flag on the castle, try using the same flags as another faction. Also what culture have you set your faction? That normally explains why building doesn't appear.

I have chosen Catholic Culture but I did nothing with the castle flags. What file for those ? If I can get past this point that should solve things hopefully,Would that give me probs with the build prod file? Thanks ECS

Can you show me what your SetShieldImage line reads? Those should be large shield, small shield, castle flag, army piece shield and army banner.

If you mean the setshield image line in startpos I copied the line for the rebel shields, default shieldlge, default shield small. "Rebel" "Rebel" I am not on my home pc at the moment but thats what I entered.

Yep, that's your problem, rebels' castle doesn't have a flag. Either make a copy of the flag or change the SetShieldImage line. That doesn't explain why your building does appear though.

Thanks ECS now I know why I get the CTD and now I will probably be able to build warrior hold but like you said why wont they appear if thet are assigned in MakeBuilding line of startpos? well one problem solved so were that much closer.

You can add a set of flags and call them fn_09

or whatever.

LK

Quote[/b] (komninos @ May 14 2003,01:19)]Lord Krazy, the problem with the Leader unit is in your Unit_prod-... file. If you have a new faction you must insert the leader unit in this file or it get the first unit type it finds hens the highland clansman.
    Thanks but it's not the theory that
    stops me usualy.

btw it works fine now.

LK

Ok this is only for a test; but so far I have:

A new faction named "Ith Raiders" in Reget, Scotland (landreg_11) Pagan Culture(removing the Abbey here)
    I edited names.txt (in loc) and VIKING_HEROES.txt (campmap\names) so my faction uses a mixture of Danish and Viking names (ie creating a new surnames/forenames list.) Also set new Heroes and Kings in this file.

These are all quite easy to do as ECS has helped lots and there are a lot of helpful tips in the files... which is why a noob mod like myself has got this far.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Quote[/b] (Ithaskar Fëarindel @ May 14 2003,12:30)]Ok this is only for a test; but so far I have:

A new faction named "Ith Raiders" in Reget, Scotland (landreg_11) Pagan Culture(removing the Abbey here)
    I edited names.txt (in loc) and VIKING_HEROES.txt (campmap\names) so my faction uses a mixture of Danish and Viking names (ie creating a new surnames/forenames list.) Also set new Heroes and Kings in this file.

These are all quite easy to do as ECS has helped lots and there are a lot of helpful tips in the files... which is why a noob mod like myself has got this far.
    Making the changes are easy. Getting the changes to actually work is not. Does the faction units and buildings appear? Does this work in strategic and battle mode?
    Does it work without crashing?

If the answer to this is yes, then upload your files
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Yes - and done.

Orgs Uploads Recent Files

Added a SHL09.bif though you can make this yourself. It's only a copy of the Vikings SHL07.bif
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Dammit Heroes names are not working. Will look at that in a minute.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Quote[/b] (Ithaskar Fëarindel @ May 14 2003,14:37)]Dammit Heroes names are not working. Will look at that in a minute.
    I would ask if you have any problems with the buildings for your faction do they show up ? I noticed you did not make any entries to the unit or build prod files? I looked at the structure of your set up and I have been following this from the start my faction shows up, names, leader is fine, I have royal units for my King, the farmland and abbey show, but the other buildings in MakeBuilding: do not show and it has me puzzled I can build anything but I would rather they were placed at the start like the others, how many turns have you played any battles? give us a progress report if you please. back to the drawing board

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

This is annoying me. I now have the Scots, Welsh and Irish in early. The shields are there, the crusader_prod files recognise them, the names are there and they work in custom battles. However, when I try to play as one on the campaign mode it loads up and crashes. I don't know what the hell the problem is I copied the castleflag.bifs from the Viking folder, so I don't see why there would be a problem.

ECS, what do you mean by army piece shield? If I knew that might be the missing link, but I doubt it. Is that just for the Viking startpos or Early, High and Late also?

Quote[/b] (The Blind King of Bohemia @ May 14 2003,15:15)]ECS, what do you mean by army piece shield? If I knew that might be the missing link, but I doubt it. Is that just for the Viking startpos or Early, High and Late also?
    Total War\Medieval - Total War\campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\

I believe this is what ECS means.
    This is for both vi and mtw.

I have just added stuff to vi
    so far and have had little problem.

LK

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Lord Krazy,you are on my dude list. It works a treat. No problem building or training units. Irish,scots and Welsh are in early and i am chuffed to bits

Hallelujah I did it building problem solved I have my faction, I can do everything with it It was simple I left out 1 building in the structure of the MakeBuilding line and thats is why they would not show. I just copied and pasted an existing capital structure put my faction number and capital name and it worked I do not know how I left the 1 building out and I looked at it a few times, I honestly did not think it would make a difference but I was wrong. Well that said and done adding a new province to VI is no longer a mystery to me, Now I have not played more than a few turns and had 1 battle but so far so good

Things coming together this is good news you guys

I don't like editing the Unit and Build prod files. I've looked at them - but there still some things I don't know/like about them. I've tried changing them in the past but never got anywhere.

The Heroes files I dunno I still can't get them to work properly. Before one hero would show but with bad name (ie "Christoffer vi_Masson### Could not....". But now I can't get any of them to show at all

This aint a big problem though I only wanted to add a new faction and I can get that done. Units are next. I will forget heroes (for now.)

Building all ok BTW. But like I said I haven't changed anything in Build_Prod. Maybe I'll have a look at that now.

I've done no more than about 20 turns with no problems, except that my heroes don't show up. I've played battles - I killed the Scots by turn 2 once...and already I realise from starting in Reget expansion needs to be quick...and preferably south towards income

Good news you guys are working ok now. My main goal is to get Vikings in Early/High/Late eras with all their units for MP. I'm only testing the water with Ith Raiders.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast