Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Adding new factions in VI

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

Not a problem Stark. Don't worry about letting me win, 'cos even then I'd find some way to lose.

Glad to know I've helped at least one person hehe. PSP by the way is Paint Shop Pro, you can use any paint package though to gain RGB values.

Anyway

1) This catches almost everyone out when they use Gnome's editor, did me and will many more. Specifying units to a faction for the campaign is completely different to specifying them for custom games, there's another column you need to edit for this, but first you need to find it

Not that the column is hidden mind, but the text is. Go to the last column, 71, titled "Mercenary Units ..."
    Click in the box to edit the entry for Clansmen, and suddenly you notice some more text appears:

YES ALL_PERIODS "FN_ENGLISH,FN_FRENCH"

Quite simple from now on, if you want your faction to have Clansmen, add it to the list of factions:

YES ALL_PERIODS "FN_ENGLISH,FN_FRENCH,FN_FREE01"
    -or whatever name you have used-

The other two parts, the YES and ALL_PERIODS. I think you can guess ALL_PERIODS, so just set which periods you want the unit in, you probably don't need to change this though. If you do, remember that one entry here doesn't need speach marks: ALL_PERIODS but multiple entries do "HIGH, EARLY"

They YES has nothing to do with the other two, this tells the game whether the unit is usable for Mercenary Armies in the campaign. Can leave this blank and game will assume not.

2) Things to remember about famous kings/heroes. The date you put in is the birthdate, so if you put a famous King with date 1054 he should be 33 years old at the start.

Not sure about why it only accepts the first VnV, but if you look at all the other Kings/Heroes they have just one VnV too. If you can add more than one, just make sure you put them in speach marks like so: "Attack3, Pious2"

3) Now you're talking complicated

Every name in Heroes.txt must have a label and in the names.txt each must be repeated exactly the same and given an identifier.

In heroes.txt you have to have a list like so:

// 18: Celts
    ADD_SURNAMES::
    "Cuchulian"
    "Owen"
    "Roe"
    "O'Neill"

So long as these are entirely new names (and not names used by other factions) you then need to define them in names.txt

Just below where the other names are defined, write something like:

//New Celtic names
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

Thanks again ithaskar.

(1) Ok thanks for showing that solution....finding that column was a real pain.

(2) Hmmm but in the famous kings section there is no date. See below:-

FAMOUS_KINGS:: FN_SWISS 1
    //name no. c d p a portrait vnv
    2, 1, 4, 3, 3, 4, -1, defender3

So where can I set the date for starting king ?

(3) Thanks again. Got that sorted and added some new names for some specific Celtic hereos.

Cheers
    Brendan
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

You're right - my mistake... you can set dates for Heroes not Kings sorry.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how the order the Famous Kings come in is sorted.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

I was wondering if anyone has the time or patience to help me with another issue that I seem be having.

I've created the Celtic faction and played about 100 years fighting several battles with no problems whatsoever.

I then decided to invade Leon which was an Almohads province. When we go to the battle screen, it fails with a message "Hard-Sprites failed to load Unknown error (0)(00000000)"

It then brings me back to the campaign map....i.e. there is no crash to the desktop.

I've done a search for the above message on the org but came up with nothing....so I was wondering if anyone knew the above.

Note this is the first time that my new faction has attempted a battle with the almos so I theorizing that there is something wrong with my new faction fighting against almos.

Note as well that I've implemented Lysanders solution about battles crashing.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    EX__Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (starkhorn @ July 08 2003,12:15)]I was wondering if anyone has the time or patience to help me with another issue that I seem be having.

I've created the Celtic faction and played about 100 years fighting several battles with no problems whatsoever.

I then decided to invade Leon which was an Almohads province. When we go to the battle screen, it fails with a message "Hard-Sprites failed to load Unknown error (0)(00000000)"

It then brings me back to the campaign map....i.e. there is no crash to the desktop.

I've done a search for the above message on the org but came up with nothing....so I was wondering if anyone knew the above.

Note this is the first time that my new faction has attempted a battle with the almos so I theorizing that there is something wrong with my new faction fighting against almos.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    EX__Starkhorn
    The error message seems to be pointing to the _H image file in the bif folders. Did you check to make sure of all the file names?
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Quote[/b] (Turbo @ July 08 2003,20:02)]
    Quote[/b] (starkhorn @ July 08 2003,12:15)]I was wondering if anyone has the time or patience to help me with another issue that I seem be having.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    EX__Starkhorn
    The error message seems to be pointing to the _H image file in the bif folders. Did you check to make sure of all the file names?
    Hi Turbo,

Thank you for that message and yes you were 100% correct. I didn't change the .bif correctly in one of the custom directories. Corrected now and it works fine.

Cheers
    EX__Starkhorn

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote[/b] (Ithaskar Fëarindel @ July 05 2003,10:08)]Faceshields = Facshields, nothing to do with Faces but actually FacTions :)

A while back I thought these were causing the CTD but someone brushed it aside so I thought nothing of it. The problem is if you look in the facshields there are only files for the current 20 factions in the game, none for any of the other 12 or so that can be added. Which makes the game crash tyring to load shields for the extra factions.

I suspect that if you tried making new files in the facshields folder then they woulcd work too, so long as you call them the name you defined the faction as it might work too, ie FN_Free21 or FN_Free01 if you didn't change this.

I THINK the reason peasants crash is because they share their textures folder with a unit that uses a facshield (FeudalSergeants) but I don't know for sure why this would happen. To check if this was the case try a game with another of the units in there eg Vikings (Housecarles), Pikemen, Arty Crews, UrbanMils etc.
    has anyone tested this theory yet?
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

A very plausible theory If someone could prove it's correct I might even buy VI.

"I THINK the reason peasants crash is because they share their textures folder with a unit that uses a facshield (FeudalSergeants) but I don't know for sure why this would happen."
    I think it's hardcoded. FeudalSergeants don't use the shields included in the BIF. As far as I know there is no text file which says which units us factionshields (there is a file called d.txt but that one isn't used).
    Still the program knows that factionshields should be used for FeudalSergeants.
    I've made new units by copying existing unit entries and adjusted these. These new units have all new entries are not related to factionshields using units in any way except for the fact that they use the same BIF.
    When I test them ingame there are small pieces of factionshields shown onto the model. How the hell is that possible? They have a different name and don't use the same shield number.

Somehow it's decided which units use factionshields and copies of that unit do that too although they are give completely different names and shields. This might be a tough nut to crack... Unless our in-house genius Lysanders saves us again

Cheers, Duke John

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote[/b] (Duke John @ July 18 2003,08:28)]I've made new units by copying existing unit entries and adjusted these. These new units have all new entries are not related to factionshields using units in any way except for the fact that they use the same BIF.
    When I test them ingame there are small pieces of factionshields shown onto the model. How the hell is that possible? They have a different name and don't use the same shield number.

Somehow it's decided which units use factionshields and copies of that unit do that too although they are give completely different names and shields. This might be a tough nut to crack... Unless our in-house genius Lysanders saves us again :pat:

Cheers, Duke John...
    could you be ever so kind and upload such a unit,
    it will take me 3 minutes to determine if the game is indeed trying to use the facshield,
    cheers,
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote[/b] ]Posted: July 10 2003,00:29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote (Ithaskar Fëarindel @ July 07 2003,23:43)
    (how does the game realise that a unit wears a facshield?)

If it's of any use , I have noticed that as have many
    others that the nap units added to any of the facshield
    bifs , would end up with shields showing up here and there.
    It only happens to units that have floresent colours
    on the sprite . Even if it's just one pixel you will
    get the shield . So just to make another point before I forget , If I rename the bif to let's say custom1
    and make the entries for the new bif
    (remember this is the same pallet )
    The problem is still there .
    Now this is with a bif with a different name
    not known to the game previously so it can't be coded
    but the pallet is still the same .
    To me this implies that the faction colours
    are coded in some way for the floresents
    to become the faction colours and in turn this his
    how the facshields find the victim.

If you have no colours in the pallet that cause this
    it does not happen.

I don't know if that's the score really but
    it is something you should think about IMHO .

regards

LK

I just tought I'd remind you of this .

something is not adding up in all this,
    not all the units that use a bif will have facshields,
    how can the fluorescents be calling/assigning a facshield?
    the fluro colours are used to tell the program where to place the factions colours on the unit, they work in the unit info pic files too - you can make custom info pics and battle card images display the faction colours

i'd like you to refer to this post Lysander's post - forwarded by Gregoshi (page 7 this thread)
    if you follow the instructions from Lysander then you will have identical bif files, but NO facshields, without editing out the fluro colours

I suspect that creating the facshields for the custom factions in the appropriate folders will enable them, and may stop crashes when attempting to use those units.

As for the random shields in the Nap mod units - stumped
    and how does the game know WHICH units have facshields? again stumped

Is there any instance where 2 units from the same bif file use the SAME shield, but one(unit1) has a facshield and the other(unit2) does not?
    IF such a case exists has anyone tested wether duplicating the facshield folder for unit1 and renaming the folder to unit2 adds a facshield to unit2 ?
    (maybe the shield choice determines facshield?, providing a facshield for that unit exists in the fachsield folder)
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Quote[/b] ]I suspect that creating the facshields for the custom factions in the appropriate folders will enable them, and may stop crashes when attempting to use those units.
    It may do but what about unit's that don't have shields,
    are not in the facshield list ,showing up with facshields?

Quote[/b] ]something is not adding up in all this,
    not all the units that use a bif will have facshields,
    how can the fluorescents be calling/assigning a facshield?
    That's the bit I can't get my head around .
    I'm not saying that the fluorescent colours
    do this so to speak but something to do with the
    pallet of the bif must be causing this as far as I can see.

Now if you consider that one of our cavalry bifs
    in particular has four different sets of sprites
    for four different units.

The bif they were imported to was an original
    pallet of one of the facshield unit bifs.

Obviously non of these units have a shield
    nor a listing for a facshield.
    Out of the four units only one unit
    has any fluro colours on the sprite .

Now working on the assumtion that the fluros
    and bif pallet can not cause the activation
    of a facshield and giving it four different names
    just incase the folder name has something to do with it,
    you would think all the units would not have a fac shield
    or thay all would.
    Yet only the unit with fluros gets one .
    If you get the same sprite add it to a different
    pallet apart from facshield ones it's not a problem .
    I understand just because something happens consistantly
    does not mean the answere lies there . However I do fell
    there is a connection to the pallet in some way.

Another thing is that I added the wrong black shade
    to the shadow on some of the infantry sprites .
    when i say wrong I mean I used a different shade
    to the rest . These units are the ones with
    the shields on their shadows. So it does not have to be
    fluro . I don't have time at present to test this
    further but I will .

I'm not so bothered as in we seem to have ways around it.
    I'd just love to know why ?

LK

ok,
    without having the time to test fully, my theory is this,

certain RGB values in the pallette determine wether or not the game should check the facshield folder for a facshield for that unit,

IF the FOLDER for that unit type exists, but no facshiled for the FACTION trying to use the unit THEN the game may CTD,

IF the FOLDER for the unit type does NOT exist the game may continue without crashing

did i miss anything?
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

L_K is right I believe.

What if this is nothing to do with facshields as such, but any unit that shows some form of clan representation?

That'd be the fluoro parts, any unit that has a fluoro part is deemed to be a unit that "carries the colours of its faction" and with those colours the game automatically associates the facshield.

There is also the other problem, which DukeJohn said, I think this is what he may mean:

The background turns out transparent here but

Here the background shows up though?

The same thing happens for some other clans.
    The LRossa background should be black, but somehow, the black has become transparent. I'm thinking possibly because like the first colour in a bif the first colour in the LBM is set to be transparent, but with the image being 16million colours I can't edit/check the palette order to see if I'm right.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Heh Bar I didn't see your post. Yep that sounds right.

Grrr I thought possibly it would be fluoro colours but most units have these and don't all have facshields.

So what colour denote which units will have a facshield and which don't?

Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Quote[/b] (barocca @ July 19 2003,02:52)]ok,
    without having the time to test fully, my theory is this,

certain RGB values in the pallette determine wether or not the game should check the facshield folder for a facshield for that unit,

IF the FOLDER for that unit type exists, but no facshiled for the FACTION trying to use the unit THEN the game may CTD,

IF the FOLDER for the unit type does NOT exist the game may continue without crashing

did i miss anything?
    That's the point I'm tying to make.
    Weather fluro or not is not the point
    the point I'm tring to make is that it's in the pallet
    somewhere .
    It could be the CYM pecentages for all I know.
    It could be rgb , it could be one of the black shades
    and that shade is the colour that's always used
    for the outline of the shields used by ths Facshields.
    That's not a theory just one of the many stupid ideas I'v
    had regarding this topic.

LK

btw if it's of any use The facshield shows on
    the shadow of the sprites that use
    R 0 G 0 B 8 (after edit sorry)

Where as the shadows that have
    R 0 G 4 B 0
    do not display a facshield

L_K the sprite for the Peasants (FeudalSergs) is
    0 4 0
    And for ChainHlm (FeudalFoot, FMAA)
    0 0 8

And there are no Cav shadows? Not sure exactly what you mean?
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

I'm not sure what I mean neither if I did
    I'd be happier.

I'm just pointing out the only difference
    between the sprites that display a facshield
    and ones that don't on the unit in question
    is that one shadow is 008 and shows a facshield
    on the shadow and the sprites that have 040
    for the shadow do not display the facshield.

If I change 008 to 040 the facshield goes away
    If I put 008 back in comes back.
    This must mean something .
    As for the cav not having shadows ,that does not mean
    a 008 or whatever is not present and being used on the pallet.
    Am I making sence ?

regards
    LK

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

I'm trying to clear some possibilities:
    - Used colours may have a word on which BIF has units that uses FactionShields but that's not everything since some BIFs are shared with units that do not use FactionShields.
    - I noticed that all FactionShields have a grey shield, when I painted brown over them the FactionShields remained. The colour of the shield on the BIF has no effect.
    - I changed the changed the shield number of a unit from for 4 to 6 and added a 6th line in the shields.txt. Still the FactionShield was displayed. The number of the used shield has no effect.

Check the bif for High Royal Knights though, the facshield template in there is plain white?
    Fëa-Quendi

*~IthaskarRW~*

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

any screen shots oft he new factions in action and or on the battle map.
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567