Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unit_prod11/build_prod13 /ProjectileStats Editor

A new version of my editor is available, GnomeEditorv2.0 is an integrated unit_prod11, build_prod13 and ProjectileStats editor.

It allows you to easily view and edit any of these files, nuff said.

As before, get it from the MTWUploads page at the org.

[Edit: just to be clear the latest versions download file is: Gnome_UnitBuildProj_Editorv2.0.zip, the 2 earlier versions of Gnome_crusaderUnitEditor are also on the same page, make sure you download the latest version]

happy modding,

Lord Gnome

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

excellent gnome when i get my machine fixed i'll be sure to d/l it. thanks :)

K.

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

Gnome, you are quite close to become my hero... it only takes one more step...

...startpos file functionality

Then you'll surely end up in the Valhala of the MTW modders
    CHIEF HISTORIAN

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

This will be a great help LG

Well done

LK

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

hehehe. Wonderful toy you gave us. Santa Claus was late, but it was worth waiting.

For the fun of it, I made a french-only unit nearly invincible... kills everything at 250 meters. Makes conquest rather easy

But then I'll make a true mod. Thanks to you.
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

thanks guys

Rosacrux, much as I would like to be your hero I'm unlikely to do a startpos editor anytime soon. MonkeyMan has made some promising noises about this though so you might want to give him a little nudge. It does interest me but there's a lot of 'unknowns' in validating and formatting startpos, and it would be a fairly mammoth job (even knowing or ignoring the unknowns) considering the amount of different statements in the file. (and then you have to think about a user interface etc...)
    Right now I'm mulling over how a useful Mod-Manager utility could be done (in-between playing the game), if I figure it out I'll give that a go.

el_slapper, nothing wrong with some crazy power stats once in a while , my first experience of editing with TW was maxing-out units in shogun and taking on the hojo horde with a handful of ninjas and kensai.

known 'bug' or limitation:
    I'm aware that on win98(first edition) there may be a problem with how many instances of the editor you can run simultaneously - as far as I know in win2000 and XP this limitation dosen't apply (and don't know re: win98SE). If anyone can confirm or deny this I'd be interested to know how it does. (there may be a solution to this if it's a big problem for people, but I could be the only person in the world who still has win98FE running .)

If anyone has a bug report/feature-request/comment you're welcome to mail it to gnomeEditor@craven-griffiths.net and/or post it here.
    Lord Gnome

Thumbs up

Exellence tool. Save me lots of time.

I am running WIN98 at home. I let you know if I have any problem.

EDIT: now I'm home and try the tool with Win98 (first edition). I can only open 2 editors at the same time. When I try to open the third one, I got an error message the says something like "Error 7 Out of memory", but eveything still works fine.

I tried to use the utility but got a "missing dll file" error message: it's missing "MSVBVM60.DLL" Yes, I'm running Win '98 (hangs head). Can this file be gotten from somewhere?
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Pdoan8, looks like I'm not the only one with win98fe then. Umm, yes, out of memory, quite.

The problem is the prog isn't particularly clever when it comes to the display, it just creates 400 odd text boxes (actual amount is determined as maximum you can get on your monitor's screen-size at startup.) and throws them on the screen. Win98 unfortunately just dosen't deal with this very well.

I've got a couple of ideas that might get around this but unless there's a real immediate demand I'll probably leave it for a little while until I do a big update. I'm knee-deep in code for other projects right now but I will be coming back to GnomeEditor at some point in the not too distant future with some new features, it'll be easier to sort the problem then as I'm likely to redo the gui anyway. I hope this limitation isn't too limiting in the meantime (if it is and you bug me about it I'll fix it quicker .)

Cugel, no need to hang your head with shame - say with me, "we don't need no stinkin new os" .

Okay, seriously, the os isn't the issue it's the missing vb6 dependancies that are causing you grief. I would never say a thing like RTFM, but from the readme:

--------------
    As this is a vb program it requires the vb6 runtimes to be installed on your system, you might well already have them but if not they can be got from microsoft or any download site. The files needed are: Msvbvm60.dll and comctl32.dll. I think comctl32.dll is a standard windows file (check in windows/system and /system32) so you may only need msvbvm60.dll if at all. (note: I am told comctl32.dll id distributed with IE4.0 and above, apologies to non IE ppl.)
    ------------

You can get the Msvbvm60 package from the org's tools downloads page (under the shogun section), it's slightly chunky at 800k but once you've installed it you are good to go with most vb progs. If you're using IE you've likely got the comctl32.dll already.
    Lord Gnome

Um...I'm having a problem loading "projectile stats.txt." It's giving me a run-time error 9. (subscript out of range)I'm running Windows ME.

I can't even load a default file.

I have VB set up on my computer, if you email me the source code I'll debug it for you. I promise not to misuse your code. My email is littleraven@hotmail.com.

WOW Gnome This editor is brilliant Mucho Kudos. I get ill thinking about all the time I would have saved if I had had this from the beginning. No more syntax error messages and wondering why this doesn't work with excel CA should license it from you and include it in the game package for TW3.

BTW: I did read the readme. I just didn't know where to get the missing file. thanks for the info.
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Great editor, one thing though. Once I have edited the stats to my satisfaction where must I put the file in order for it to have an effect on the game?
    And if you wanna see this SOB get his ass kicked, gimmie a hell yeah?

HELL YEAH

*que the Stone Cold Stunner leaving the opponent dazed*

where u loafded up ur old one (in mtw directory

War is nothing but the continuation of politics with the admixture of other means. - Karl Von Clausewitz

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Where you want. On the other hand, be sure to put your active file in the Medieval - Totalwar folder. And it's easier if the editor is not far.(Mine is in a gnome folder inside the Medieval - Totalwar folder)
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Gnome,

Great tool.

FYI, I have noticed some file corruption problems. Using a text editor I noticed that some trash text was at the bottom of the file and once the trash text was deleted the file ran fine.
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Gnome,

Great tool.
    Hear hear, it has saved me much time. Thanks.
    But a couple of problems:

Quote[/b] ]FYI, I have noticed some file corruption problems. Using a text editor I noticed that some trash text was at the bottom of the file and once the trash text was deleted the file ran fine.
    I have also seen this.
    Also, I now get an error message when trying to open the build_prod file:
    Quote[/b] ]The [Build_prod13] data is incorrectly formatted.
    More than 40,000 characters in a single record
    I cant find any errors in the file and it still works fine in game, I just cant open it with the editor. Any ideas?

Rangers Lead the Way 3/75 RRGT Member RangerLee's Avatar

thanks man, this is awesome

Senior Member Senior Member +DOC+'s Avatar

Absolutely fantastic Lord Gnome, communities will always blossom with folk like you.
    =MizuDoc=

I am having alot of trouble DL this (and anything else) off the Org. I am able to DL from other sources just fine. Is there another place I can get my hands on this?
    "Enough talk!"
    -Conan the Destroyer

Ive been immeresed in modding recently, i now have 1 Heavy Jannisary Infantry unit, capable of taking on over 6000 enemys But I cant seem to get the Projectile Stats to work, I load it up edit it, but it never has an effect on the game, help
    And if you wanna see this SOB get his ass kicked, gimmie a hell yeah?

HELL YEAH

*que the Stone Cold Stunner leaving the opponent dazed*

Quote[/b] (Lord Gnome @ Jan. 12 2003,12:30)]A new version of my editor is available, GnomeEditorv2.0 is an integrated unit_prod11, build_prod13 and ProjectileStats editor.

It allows you to easily view and edit any of these files, nuff said.

As before, get it from the MTWUploads page at the org.

[Edit: just to be clear the latest versions download file is: Gnome_UnitBuildProj_Editorv2.0.zip, the 2 earlier versions of Gnome_crusaderUnitEditor are also on the same page, make sure you download the latest version]

happy modding,
    Sounds great except that there doesn't seem to be a file of that name when i click the link

Has it been (re)moved?

If so has anyone got a copy?

thanks

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

Great tool I have Win XP and I have not had any problems so far good work Lord Gnome
    Taking life one day at a time!

Quote[/b] ]But I cant seem to get the Projectile Stats to work, I load it up edit it, but it never has an effect on the game, help
    strange i got the naptha throwers to be quite accurate and took out about 50 men in one volly from my byzantine inf that was chasing them

War is nothing but the continuation of politics with the admixture of other means. - Karl Von Clausewitz

Concerning the "Runtime Error '7': Out Of Memory" error.

I'm getting this when I try to open a second instance.

os - win98se
    ram - 512mb (surely it doesn't use that much memory??)

I have installed the most recent vb runtime files and it's a fairly new reinstallation of win.
    Skill counts for nothing when an angel pees down the touchhole of your musket. - Anonymous soldier.

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Qilue @ April 04 2003,08:37)]Concerning the "Runtime Error '7': Out Of Memory" error.

I'm getting this when I try to open a second instance.

os - win98se
    ram - 512mb (surely it doesn't use that much memory??)

I have installed the most recent vb runtime files and it's a fairly new reinstallation of win.
    That error is a random windows error
    that pops up when it does not
    know what the the problem is.

So that can't be taken at face value.
    I don't know what the problem is but
    neither does windows
    So look on the bright side we know as much
    as a comuter OS and are more honest
    about our outcome

Lord Gnome could you
    shed light on the subject please
    as your the Lord with the ken on this.:-D

LK

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was using this editor with the WesMod mod, and for some reason I can load the unit text file, but not the building txt file. Has anybody else used this editor with Wes's mod & have they had the same problem?
    Hope there's someone out there who can spread rays of sunshine on this open cesspit.
    An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Lord Gnome, hei

First of all, a thousand thanks for the excellent mod utility. Saves a huge amount of time.

I and and several other from the Lords Clan are working on a Napoleonic Mod for MTW.

I have been tweaking the unit stats using your tool and have a few questions about some of the columns. Hope you could answer(atleast some of) them.

1* Column 18 Unit Class Labels

Does the order of the elements in the list "ATTACKER, MISSILE,STRONG,SPEAR" have any significance? In other words are the
    lists "ATTACKER, MISSILE,STRONG,SPEAR" and "ATTACKER, SPEAR, STRONG, MISSILE" one and the same?

Where do I find the rest of the labels in this list? I get a general idea about what they mean by looking at the list. Is there a detailed description
    of the terms somewhere?

2* Column 27 and the ones that follow:

MARCH_SPEED( 6 ). What are the units of march speed?

3* Column 32, TURN_TO_MOTION_SPEED( 8 ): What does this mean? How does it differ from column 31, MAX_TURNSPEED( 8 )?

4* Column 33, MAX_INMOTION_TURN( 96 ): What does this mean?

5* Column 42, AMMO( 30 ): What are the units?

6* This is a big one. Column 45, Unit specialities labels: "DEFENDING_RIVER(1), DEFENDING_CASTLE(1)"

What are these labels used for?

Where can I find the rest of the labels in the list?

I am trying to give some special abilities to some of the troops. For example light infantry should be deadly in woods and built areas.
    Grenadiers should be staunch enough to defend a bridge or assault one. If I could get the rest of the bunch in this list, I could go a long way.

Enough for now. Rest later.

Thanks in advance,

Cuirassier66

Gnome,

I religiously use the Gnome Editor and it is an essential tool for any serious modder. Will you be releasing another editor or add funtionality so that you can edit campaign text files?
    When you decide that servicing your core niche is no longer important, you might as well put a gun to your corporate temple. - Red Harvest -

cant seem to edit crusader_units_11.txt in VI.

Always getting "error, too many column parse" thingy when starting the game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast