Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does my Mod crash?

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Post Why does my Mod crash?

101 to Crash to Desktop errors
    Crash to desktop (CTD for short) happens when MTW cannot find a file, the file is incorrect or experiences similar errors. You can learn alot from the time when the CTD occurs, with the list below you can hopefully debug your mod.

Crashes when loading MTW

MTW doesn't load. MTW logo comes up, CD turns but then nothing happens.
    Problem 1: Descriptions or Names files are not correctly edited.

Crashes on strategic level
    NOTE: Some problems were found after ending a certain turn. This is however not per definition the only turn the crash may occur. I added it because it might be in some cases.

Campaign loads, then the campmap flashes and a CTD occurs
    Problem 1:Starting date is lower then the date of the starting period.

Campaign loads for 50% and then hangs, no CTD
    Problem 1: This occured when I was disabling certain regions. To fix this you must be absolutely sure that no there traces in entries that deal with enabled lands.

Game crashes when ending the first turn
    Problem 1: Trace of disabled region:
    SetBorderInfo:: ID_LANDREG_05 ID_LANDREG_99
    Where ID_LAND_99 does not exist. Remove this SetBorderInfo or edit it if you entered the wrong regionnumber.

Game crashes when ending the second turn
    Problem 1: This happened when I was disabling factionleaders so that they would die out. Make sure that there are no heirs to a disabled leader.

Crashes during/before battles

Game crashes when pressing 'Continue' when playing a battle
    Problem 1: ammo value of 0 for missile unit in the unitprod.txt file.

Game crashes when pressing 'Start battle' to start the battle
    Problem 1: Battle\UnitIcons\UnitName.LBM has an incorrect colourpalette. This icon should only be saved with Ultimate Paint or another program who completely leaves the palette intact.

Game crashes a few minutes after the battle starts
    Problem: armour value of 0 in the unitprod.txt file.

This had me stymed for several days once. Very frustrating. Just as you did, i found the answer in the archives.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Mod CTD's when i hit continue on the battle map,

(CTD = Crash to Desktop)

did i assign my new missile unit any ammo?

crashes can be cllassified into 3 distinct types

Sulk mode,
    where it sits there, arms folded and won't tell you whats wrong,
    if you manage to elicit any reply at all it is invariably "if you don't know whats wrong, then im NOT going to tell you.."

Storm Out mode (storms out of room and slam door),
    where the game folds up and CTD's without an error message,

Dummy Spit mode,
    where the game spits some type of error message at you as it bolts out the door
    and into the Landcruiser, managing to back over your MG on it's way out the driveway...
    at least then you have a clue what you did wrong...
    Last edited by barocca; 04-21-2007 at 01:17.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I acedintally puta longbow with a Kat, and gave no ammo and it worked fine, then later I put in the ammo (oops)

I've got HTW and when I press Start campaign, the loading bar doesn't load, it says Initmapmain Unkown Error (0) (000000) how can I fix this conundrum?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Mod CTD's after i choose campaign and faction,
    often briefly hear the strategic map music begin,

1. are both unit and build prod files valid files?

2. are both the files listed in the campmap/startpos script in the root directory of medieval?

3. (expansion type mods) are the campmap\pieces\Units\Christian\Shields\MY_MOD
    and campmap\pieces\Units\Muslim\Shields\MY_MOD
    shield images in place?

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

When I edit something simple in my extra startpos.txt file I created, like when I add more units to certain provinces to start the game (proper size and type) the game will end up CTD when I hit 'end turn' in the campaign screen, within the first 10 turns (usually after one, two, or three turns).

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

As stupid as this may sound. Brent, it's the cold hard truth, but you simply edited the files wrong. You should be very carefull with tabs and you need to enter all the names correctly.

When editing the unit files, faults can be relatively easily found, but with the campaign file it's much harder because of the large text file. To make sure that it doesn't crash, make one change/mistake at a time. This method is slower but it will avoid the CTD situation where you have almost completely made the mod, but you wouldn't know where to search since you did everything at the same time.

Cheers, Duke John

What do you mean by being careful with tabs? The game reads data by how many tabs there are in between values? I didn't that that mattered.

Besides that, I don't see any errors. I only made changes to a few lines. I renamed the file, and copy-pasted a few more units to a certain province. I don't see how I could have made an error...

what lines did you change?

not bothered about units copying, if you made mistake there the game will ctd as load, or not load at all, or not find you campaign

what other lines did you change?

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Game crashes when pressing 'Continue' when playing a battle
    specifically if you have made a new unit icon for battle/unit icons folder,

Problem. The icon, despite BEING an lbm format made using Ultimate Paint, is the wrong lbm format,
    solution? Try a different software package,
    GrafX (available from the org) never fails when converting files to lbm, they always work fine.

GrafX takes some fiddling to figure it out, basically make a dummy file using notepad, and change the file extension to .lbm,
    then open GrafX, open the bitmap image you want to use, choose save as lbm, select the dummy file and accept overwrite of file.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]komninos
    Posted: Oct. 21 2003,15:01
    --------------------
    Hi all,
    I get an "Error loading offscreen" while it loads the campaign and the MTW frizzes ... what does it mean???
    I also get the following strange behaviour.
    Two provinces are assigned to factions that I have not assigned in the startpos file.

Has anyone seen these??? What was the problem??
    --------------------

komninos
    Posted: Oct. 22 2003,15:21
    --------------------
    Hi all,

I found the problem ... this happens when you keep the LMM naming for the map LBM files in the VI
    A version of LMM is being developed which hopes to correct this problem,

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Member Member Bevan of Hertfordshire's Avatar

ok ok don't shout at me once you hear this,or read it...

The Early campaign doesn't show up when you get to choose between viking, early, high and late.

I've changed a couple of stuff around in the file is it just spacing or is there another reason.

EDIT > turns out i forgot to put how many barques there were.

--

Also, when i added a hero his name comes up with Example (could not translate)
    I put the name in the names.txt and in the default heroes and changes etc but it always comes up the same.

Thanks

And so Lord Woodhouse, barged into the Kings bedchambers with waders and a fishing pole (possibly drunk) and said; My Liege, the Rivers are so high that you need waders to stay above them My ancestor to his Highness Edward IV

Bevan of Hertfordshire,

forgive me i editied your post to include what was causing the bug, thats something that may save someone else a few hours down the track,,

as for the hero, here's an example from my mod

campmap\names\your-mod_HEROES.txt
    needs this entry under the FAMOUS_HEROES:: heading for the faction you want.
    "stw_Yoshitsuna",

and this entry here
    Loc\Eng\names.txt
    ["stw_Yoshitsuna"] {"Yoshitsuna"}
    the 2 tabs bit, that just means place 2 tabs between the } and the [

and that should be all,
    this gives a hero named Yoshitsuna

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Member Member Bevan of Hertfordshire's Avatar

Cheers Barroca,

I've got it all sorted now 5 generations of my family throughout MTW, woooo

I sent my Great grandad on a crusade to antioch
    And so Lord Woodhouse, barged into the Kings bedchambers with waders and a fishing pole (possibly drunk) and said; My Liege, the Rivers are so high that you need waders to stay above them My ancestor to his Highness Edward IV

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

I have a CTD...

I have installed a new MOD as an Add-on....

I have a new campaign map etc...

The campaign starts and after a few turns is drop back to desktop... It is about 4 turns

Any ideas guys ?

ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

I've made "The Irish" but I can't play as them. When I try it CTD. I can play as the English but when I build a ship in Wales the game crashes. Any ideas?
    May your first child be a masculine child.

Member Member Sir Zack de Caldicot's Avatar

Hey Kaatar
    I was just reading your post on .com, no solution here

SIR ZACK DE CALDICOT
    I WANT ROME - TOTAL WAR

I've given up on creating one, so now I'm just editing one.

I figured out why it was crashing on me. I had:

SetShieldImage:: FN_ARAGONESE "Irish_lge" "Irish_sml" "Irish"

"Irish" "Irish"

because that's how in is in VIKING.txt

but it was meant to be:
    SetShieldImage:: FN_ARAGONESE "Irish_lge" "Irish_sml" "Ireland"

"F1013" "F1013"

But does this mean I can't have the Irish shield on the map screen?

(Don't know hoe to edit my last post so I'm posting anew)

Also, my game crashes when I build a fort. Even if I put one there (Ireland) to start it still crashes Help would be appreciated

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

OK, I am going to share something that happened to me.
    While editing Hereos and Names txt to make additions for a mod. upon making my entries I found that the game would not load at all?
    Odd I thought, I only made 2 entries to Heroes txt and Names txt.?
    So I went back and removed the edits and proceeded to add the bits again to ascertain the problem.
    I made 2 heroes entries and then added there names to the Heros Forenames/Surnames in Names txt.
    Again the game would not Load, I double checked for space or typos nothing there?
    I then removed them and the game loaded just fine,
    I am at a loss to know why this occured, and it was interesting to note that maybe errors in these files will cause the game not to load...LOS
    Taking life one day at a time!

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Unhappy

My mod is a new game, new map, new buildings, new units, but I don't know how good the finished product is, because it fails to load.

There's no error message, the MTW logo comes up, then it appears at the bottom of the screen, but it just stops there.

At first I though it was a problem with the units, so I got rid of every unit but peasants and royal knights, yet still the game does not load.

FRUSTRATION

Kaatar,

You seem to be having problems with shields which is causing most of your CTD's.

Download the guide I wrote. By following that, you should be able to add the Irish faction. (This infact was my first ever mod, i.e. to play as the Irish). For your specific question on why the irish flag on the map, read section 3.2.10. I suspect your fort problem is also due to the castle flags not being set correctly.

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....y255332

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ShadesWolf @ Dec. 10 2003,22:32)]I have a CTD...

I have installed a new MOD as an Add-on....

I have a new campaign map etc...

The campaign starts and after a few turns is drop back to desktop... It is about 4 turns

Any ideas guys ?
    ShadeWolf,

Is in VI or MTW ? Are you just adding a new faction or are you also adding new buildings or new units ?

Are there any specific events beforehand, i.e. do you create a specific unit or ship or fort etc ?

Anytime that happened to me, it was because my shields weren't setup properly.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    Let your manhood be seen by the push of your pike:- Owen Roe O'Neill at the Battle of Benburb 1646

Smile

Any idea's please.
    This isn't quite a CTD but having installed the first Newbie mod I've made, I noticed a few pecularities. I borrowed a few cavalry units from MedMod 3.? Namely Knechte, Knights of Calatrava and Knights of the Banderium. These units are now appearing inappropriatley as Royal bodyguard units for Turkey, Venice and Novgorod.
    Mostly I just edited Unitprod, Descriptions file and Names file. Has anybody got a clue to what is causing this re-shuffle, besides something in the unitprod. Were these units originaly set as Royal Bodyguard Units by Wes and if so How do I turn the "Bodyguard" status of. Everything else seems to be working fine.
    Many Thanks for any thoughts on the matter,
    Nomad
    Do not despise the snake for having no horns,
    For who is to say, he will not become a Dragon.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Unforutonatly, my game won't even open. I used to play Medmod, but downloaded BKB's Mod. I've been slowly transfeing the Medmod units to his mod. I started with the norman knights (but the French got them as a bodyguard unit), and after that decied to stick to renaming the existing units. I just did the byzantine names, copying pasting the names (plural and singular), and the descrption from Medmod to BKB's thing. I also changed the land controlled by the Byzantines to make it historically acurate. Now it won't even open. Do I need to reinstall everying?
    Edit I relize this is the last reason posted on top.
    Edit2: I just fixed it. Hint to everyone: backup Fortunatly I did, and it took just a bit to redo everything.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

After making a new unit that works correctly using exsisting units with modified stats, i tried to make another. However i recive the following error msg- Too few values found in element data: column 3, data row 184
    I look for a solution in this forum to no avial, any help would be appreciated

Swartskof

Hi there,
    The error message your getting normally
    means you've made a mistake in the unit prod file. Sometimes you can make several errors with unit stats and you'll still be able to load and play. (Although an error will usually surface in the game) Alternativley you then add a unit thats statistically correct and BOOM your game won't open. Very frustrating.The error message should take you directly to the error, although this isn't always the case e.g If you've got multiple errors or columns and lines have become ofset etc
    Too few properties generally means somethings missing from that lines (units) stats e.g column ?? line?? to few properties means to make the unit work, there should be a bit more info at that location. You can usually work it out through a bit of deductive logic. Or try to install the units individualy into the main game and see which one stops it working. Hope this helps, I've had to much experience of this myself,
    Nomad

Hi Steppe Mercanary,
    My situation is almost the same as your's I'm making a hybrid mod part BKB, part MedMod, part Na Mod but my games still opening, maybe becuase I didn't rename the awkward units although I can't see why this would stop it working.
    Likewise I've been adapting Medmod units to BKB and subsequently getting some of these units poping up as bodygaurds all over. Although this seems to rectify when the game gets to "High" Although I won't no for sure unless the Turkish re-emerge. I thought I'd done all the editing I needed but ??????????? post us a reply if you crack this nut.
    The Nomad

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

In the Gnome editor there is a column which designates which units become bodyguards. I'm not sure which one it is, but the easy way would be to scroll down the list and look for Royal Bodyguards or Ghulam Bodyguards and scroll along till u see a column where there is a whole list of factions in those columns.

Then scroll down/up to the units u have created and in that row and column there should be the name of the faction/s for which they are bodyguards. Delete everything in that box and the unit should no longer be the bodyguard for that faction.

Hope this helps

Cheers amigo, problem sorted,
    Somehow I'd added a few blank columns which had shufted everything up a bit putting the faction label into the leader unit column. However the Unit prod in BKB's mod won't open in the Gnome editor, something about being incorrectly formated. I couldn't get MedMod to open either. But my minimod seemed ok (so far). I'll try disecting there unitprods files to find out what the offending items are,
    Nomad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast