Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does my Mod crash?

Thanks alot for the advice Nomad, the problem maybe that i used gothic foot knights as the base unit and they arent buildable by default,
    Thanks again
    Swartskof

Well boys, i think i am loosing my mind. I remade the unit statline a few times from scratch with no results. it continues to tell me that there are not enough values in the cost colum. you would think that it would be a simple problem to fix. any have a simmilar problem?

Swartskof... again

the two different units will work one at a time but not together

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

About not reading Medmod or BKB with Gnome: for medmod, you find your crusader unit prod 11 file, copy the top up to Data Start, and paste that into medmod, and it should work. As for BKB, you open the fil and search for "", and it cfhange it to only one ". It should open then.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Hi Swartskof,
    Hmmmmm, Most of the problems tend to come from Columns getting shunted along. sending values and commands into the wrong places. However a good check in GnomeEditor should reveal any/most prob's. Where are you adding the units on the prod list. I keep them at the bottom of the list. Otherwise a small error can sneak in and cause all sorts of problems. Also makes them easier to find and analyze chronologically
    I've had the, too few values prob' your describing more than once. The error message was constant despite some re-shuffling and omissions from my new unit roster. I think I found the problem to be with another previously added unit. Too many blank columns added after the faction column if I remember correctly. (but it could have been somewhere else)
    But as i understand you've got unit A and unit B, both working but not together. I think you might find that one of or both (less likely) are not scripted properly. What can happen is you add "A" (lets say its not working but the game doesn't see this because it doesn't have to read another unit line after unit "A") and the game loads. Then you add "B" (which is actually working. However because of the mistake with unit "A" the computer can't finish reading the "A" stats correctly or make sense of your "B" unit and BINGO error to few values in line...etc. This is just a possibility
    Have you got both units appearing correctly in the game or in custom battles and are you using Gnome editor. Also some values shouldn't be edited in Unitprod and are connected to worksheets and other readfiles. So scratch built units may not have the necessary links, but you'll have to check me on that. My main advice is back up your prodfile every time, before you edit and hold onto at least one previous good edit. if things stop working go back to your back up edit and add each unit one at a time. If this fails you go back to the last good edit before the back up edit.
    Hope this helps
    Nomad

p.s Hope I haven't stated the bleedin obviuos

p.p.s Cheers Steppe Mercanary
    Do not despise the snake for having no horns,
    For who is to say, he will not become a Dragon.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I had that problem once and if I remember correctly the problem had nothing to do with the cost at all even though the message indicated the cost column. I think that there was a problem with the buildings needed to build that unit...

I can't remember though. I'll post it if I do.

In the meantime, probably the best way to get rid of that error is to remake the unit. Pain in the ass I know but it could be the only way.

I would just like to say, victory is mine. The problem turned out to be that there was an extra space after the ID_English at the end of one of the unit stat lines that cause the next one after it not to work, hense the only one working at a time. Thanks alot boys, couldnt have done it with you guy's help,
    Swartskof

P.S. off to play, hehe

since my last post i have made a new faction and a host of new units. however i am now getting a "Hard-sprites failed to load" error. Anyone?

Swartskof

Greetings All

hopefully you can help me...

i'm using the medmod and i wanted to add a unit to the byz. its a modified sarc inf named 'skutatoi'. its all the same, save the info pic (something about the arabic on the shield not looking right for a byzantine unit ). i just copied the chiv ser pic. so when i bring up the unit production screen in camp mode, it CTD'S...any ideas?

Hi Basil II,
    Just one unit you say your adding. Hmmmm. This may be a bit of obviuos advice but Are you sure you've got the right BIF's in Review Panel and Info pic's respectively. Accidently Swapping these around can skew things. I've had this kind of problem myself a few times. Although usually its when I test units in Custom Battle mode, that it CTD's. (I use custom battles as a Barometer, A quicker way to check if yer units are OK)
    Also use "Find" Files and Folders from your MSstart window to check all the nescesary files are present in MTW and in there correct format and files. Just type in the name of your unit as it appears in Unitprod, search your MTW file and everything relevant should come up. If you've copied a unit (i.e Saracen Infantry) to make a new one then they should both be the same. I don't think Its merely the Chiv Serg BIF but I'm new to modding and not sure if the LBM and Icon BIF's for the Units, refer to each other in anyway (don't think they do as I've modded many Unit Bifs without any problems).
    Maybe a check with Gnome editor aswell just incase somethings out of place Happy hunting,
    Nomad.

Nomad

before i go on, thanks for the reply man yeah i do that same little test in campaign mode to see if everything's in working condition(heh never is, it seems). as for the review pannel and info pics, i notice copy/pasting to another file seems to ruin the scripting so i just open (for instance) the info pic file for the chiv serg and 'save as' into the new skutatoi folder. i repeat the same process w/ the review pannel but use the sar inf pic... i mean everythings in the right format and all that..so waht could be wrong? and i ran that search you suggested and everything seemed to be in its proper place... i'm baffled.
    drinks are on me if you can help me with this problem

pax

Basil

Cool

Tricky,
    So as I understand your New Skutatoi, work with the Saracen Infantry Unit Icon Bif but not with the Chivalric sergeant Icon bif. I don't know why this would happen. Is it/are they, working in custom battle mode.
    Normally when I've had this kind of review pannel Bif problem its been because I've gone and put the info pic's Bif in the review pannel file, and/or vica versa or omitted a bif somewhere.
    I'm not that experienced on the Animation Graphic's side of things yet, so If the prob's there I can't really help. There are several guides to this subject in the Apothecary that might shed some light on yer problem. I've definitely read somewhere that unit bif's and LBM's refer to each other.
    However two slow ways round this problem would be to a) Plunder MedMods Skutatoi Unit which is definitely working.
    b) Download the Skutatoi unit from the Org Mod section. Also working.
    I'm to am using Skutatoi (using the Halbardier BIF)plus the Menavlotoi units (to name but a couple) so alternatively, I could try to email you the Bifs and stats. Although, I'm out of town this weekend.
    Finally and most annoyingly you could try recreating the unit. Good luck,
    Nomad.

Cool

Just posted this answer on the the New Topic you've opened. Didn't realize you were editing MedMod, that changes everything. I thought the Skutatoi were already in MedMod (At least I've borrowed them from there, for a mod I made.) Could be you've installed the unit twice and/or overwritten some files of Wes' Skut's but not all the files. So now your unit is half Halbardier half Saracen, thus not working. In which case re-install the Skutatoi from MedMOd as its definitely working for me.
    It could be that simple.

p.s But probably a whole lot more difficult.

nomad

hey man i just gave up completely on creating the skuts. i'm too much of a newb modder to take on something like that, i suppose. after spending a few days of file fishing and forum reading, i picked up a few techniques for modding current units, however. i brought myself to a compromise and just modded the byz infantry (vestiaritae). in wes' mod, the description calls for medium spear infantry so all i did was copy and paste over all the appropriate files of the saracen inf (lol without touching any of those for the pain-in-the-ars info pic/review pannel) over to those of the byz....worked like a charm so now that i have 'em i was thinking about giving them short bows (or darts, maybe) and javelins to the kontaratoi (new units for the byz. for those who dont have medmod, theyre pretty much italian infantry w/ a bit higher stats). i personally think it'd be historically accurate, but you think they'd be a bit too powerful for fair play? not that playing sportingly in single player matters, of course ...
    pax

basil II

oh and btw, nomad i just read your response for the other topic. you mentioned a BKB mod or something along those lines... what can you tell me about it? any site i can go to in order to see more info and screenshots on it?

pax

basil II

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Hi Basil II, below is a link to my BKB site with the original Beta in the download section and below that is a patch that corrects some mistakes in the mod. Many new factions, loads of new units and loads more~:D

http://lukeandkyle_medieval.tripod.com/

http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt/Mstats.shtml

good stuff thanks for the info, BKB. i think i'll give the mod a try.

pax

Basil II

Head Hurlers Rule! Member Bacchon's Avatar

Hey there,

I have a problem similar to ShadesWolf's. I have modded my game rather heavily and now experience a CTD at the beginning of the fourth or fifth turn, every time. I'm stumped.

I'm running VI.

It is not a flags or shields problem, the battles work fine and I get no error messages.

I've run through Starkhorn's guide (which was excellent) and done everything including the custom bif folders fix.

I've added two buildings from VI into my MTW mod and 'unlocked' several of the units that were in unit prod file.

I have enabled the Burgundians, Russians and Swiss, as well as using up all the fn_free slots (21-30) adding new factions.

I've added Africa as a working region as per the instructions elsewhere on these forums.

Any ideas, anybody?
    And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder,
    One of the four beasts sang, "Come and see,"
    And I saw, and behold, a white horse.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts,
    And I looked, and behold, a pale horse,
    And his name it said on him was Death,
    And Hell followed with him.

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Welcome to the Org Bacchon

That is indeed some heavy modding I think that you didn't do all these things in 1 go, right? So did you experience CTD's after adding factions/Africa? You did a whole lot and without more specific details it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Cheers, Duke John

Head Hurlers Rule! Member Bacchon's Avatar

Thank you, [B}Duke John[/B].

Hmmm.

I went back and started up a new campaign again and played for a few turns, insuring Africa/Sahara wasn't the problem. Anyways, it seems that the problem is linked to an action on someone's part, not to a certain turn.

The bug appears to have entered my mod somewhere between after adding and successfully testing my first faction. And now. Looks like I didn't playtest it enough.

If I find out what the problem is, I'll post it here in case anyone else experiences it.
    And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder,
    One of the four beasts sang, "Come and see,"
    And I saw, and behold, a white horse.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts,
    And I looked, and behold, a pale horse,
    And his name it said on him was Death,
    And Hell followed with him.

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (barocca @ Oct. 23 2003,06:37)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]komninos
    Posted: Oct. 21 2003,15:01
    --------------------
    Hi all,
    I get an "Error loading offscreen" while it loads the campaign and the MTW frizzes ... what does it mean???
    I also get the following strange behaviour.
    Two provinces are assigned to factions that I have not assigned in the startpos file.

Has anyone seen these??? What was the problem??
    --------------------

komninos
    Posted: Oct. 22 2003,15:21
    --------------------
    Hi all,

I found the problem ... this happens when you keep the LMM naming for the map LBM files in the VI
    A version of LMM is being developed which hopes to correct this problem,
    :D
    I have found the same problem (error loading offscreen) with my Mod (70 regions map).
    Could you explain how to solve it?
    What name is the correct for the LBM files?
    (if I have well understood it is necessary to rename them).
    PLEASE, PLEASE, ANSWER ME ASAP, OR THE EXPIRING DATE OF csImageFile WILL ARRIVE.

With a second version of the map (99 land regions, 14 sea regions) LMM cannot create the script. I have an error message from MS VBScript (sorry, the message was in Spanish) about the execution time. Something about line 2703, character 5, code 800A0009. It seems that the problem comes from LBMPaletteDic2 ID_SEAREG_01.

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

It's me again.
    I renamed correctly the files and the campaign loads but...
    CTD happens.
    Can it be because a non-defined area in the map (or a disabled land)?
    What information in the Loc files (names, descriptions...)is required for the campaign to work?

Can I load a picture in the message from my computer?(not from a web page)
    Too many questions?

Unhappy

(Hi there I'm the latest NoOB.I do admire your knowledge and your work,this forum is a worthy rep to MTW.Great job,folks )

Lately I kinda tried to teach myself how to mod,step by step ,as an exercise I tried to implement all the non-original unit-bifs,I could lay hands on,and most do work fine,but some do not...and I don't know why...and that drives me mad

Best examples are the Me:TW-RohanHorseArcher-/MountedFyrdmen/-MountedJavelineers.

I know,they were meant for 1.1 and I try to use them with 2.01,but while the HorseArchers work,the MountedJavelineers and Fyrdmen do not,although using the same .bif.I had similar experiences with some of the Units of DukeJohn(from his unitpack and his ancientmod).In the Custom Battles Army selection screens the unit icons do appear and when I select them my next click inevitably leads to a ctd.

My error.log tells me: C:\Source\VikingsPatch\Crusaders_TW\main3d_1.cpp(1929) : DirectX call : DDERR_SURFACELOST

I've tried almost anything (in the unitprod,changed the icons,item folders,etc. ).Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

Or to put it more bluntly:PleeEEEASE HeELP Meee.

(Sorry for any mistakes,had no practice in english for quite a while )
    Of all the passions none is more powerful than ambition
    Carl v. Clausewitz

Sorry,my mistake.Found the solution.I gave 'em shorter names in the unitprod and it works.Leads me to the conclusion,that I should have given them names in the first place (but a direct draw error was not the best hint).

Sorry for bothering you folks.
    Of all the passions none is more powerful than ambition
    Carl v. Clausewitz

Unfrequent Visitor Member tombom's Avatar

In Chaos: Total War mod, the game crashes whenever you view Lithuania. It also will not work with HedgesMTWDEditor 2.0.4. I have posted in the Chaos thread but no-one answers there. Any ideas?
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

Unhappy

Hi guys I got troubles with Medmod_IV_3[01].09. It seems there are some error in the crusader_build_prod file. When I launch the game, an error window ("FN_EGYPTIAN: unknown in coloumn xx row xx")appears. Can you help me? tHANX

Welcome to the forums guntherhammer
    For your question, I don't think its the latest version of medmod. Try updating it at Wes' site.
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

thanx for the link, tombom. Now i'll try to download the mod from there. cheers

###### of the Smurfs Member pyhhricvictory's Avatar

I have a mod that keeps telling me that I have an error when it tries to load:

Column_Building_unit_capacity
    Too many data columns found in parsefile

I have checked the total number of upgrades and it matches perfectly. I can't find where the issue is coming from. Any ideas??
    The web of domination has become the web of Reason itself, and this society is fatally entangled in it

Which mod is it? Sometimes MTW crashes because of something like this and I can't work out why.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast