Thread: Border Forts and Mongols

Just started playing Shogun again and am back in same predicament. Is it worth building border forts when playing Mongols?? Obviously what I am thinking is it will catch Hojo Shinobei and Ninja and increase loyalty in province. But does it reduce the money sent back to China so much that you recieve less reinforcements??

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

Which do u need more security or men?

Ha!! Both I feel. Havnt been attacked by Ninja and I dont know if Shinobei are present. But I do know that I have to leave too many men in rear areas to keep loyalty near 100% and this feels a desperate waste. Also to build border forts everywhere is gonna be seriously expensive...
    If I have say 2000 koku and spend 1000 building forts does that mean I only get half the reinforcements??

I usually leave behind small concentrations of Light cavalry and a few Spearmen every few provinces (2-3) most revolts are small and can be easily destroyed you rarely lose more than 10 men each revolt. If I remember there is usually 1 big one around Totomi (whoops...)Id keep about 500 troops in that area

when playing as mongols you don't really need many men to beat a bigger samurai force, budilding a few border forts is a good idea.

vapd, I saved a Mongol campaign and then proceeded with no spending until more troops arrived and then went back and played spending all I had. The reinforcements were the same either way.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Default Re: Border Forts and Mongols

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    vapd, I saved a Mongol campaign and then proceeded with no spending until more troops arrived and then went back and played spending all I had. The reinforcements were the same either way.
    So true.

But maybe their time or arrival has changed? Although I think its the same as well, but I dont want to believe that spending the money has absolutely no consequences. It's Great Khan's claim, for God's sake.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Might just be the record for thread necromancy...13yrs...

Mongol reinforcements are tied to how many new provinces you conquer...more provinces conquered = more reinforcements....
    High Plains Drifter

Thread necromancy yes, but its nice to see posts on this forum, and think that maybe some people besides me still play STW now and then.

I never finished a campaign as the Mongols. The light cavalry is so OP it takes the fun out of it IMO. If you play the whole campaign do rebellions and/or enemy agents ever become a problem? I found that in the early campaign all I had to do was use my infantry for garrison duty and do most of the fighting with my cavalry and there wasn't much of a problem. But I know nothing of the mid-to-late game.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

early campaign all I had to do was use my infantry for garrison duty and do most of the fighting with my cavalry
    Yep...that pretty much sums up Mongol strategy for the entire campaign. Mongol Light Cavalry are sufficient for most situations, but Mongol Heavy Cavalry might be necessary when facing alot of Yari Samurai spear.

I played maybe one or two Mongol campaigns complete (you are correct in that Mongol cavalry is OP which makes the sight of fleeing units get boring rather quickly) so I couldn't really say if agents ever get to be a problem. Rebellions can be a PITA, but Ashi rout and run even quicker than Yari when faced with Mongol cav...

some people besides me still play STW now and then
    I still play one or two complete campaigns a year (usually Oda as they are the hardest). STW was my first love, and is still my favorite
    High Plains Drifter