Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cake or death?

You know the score...the battle is over, the enemy have fled from the field like the cowardly dogs they are and your light cavalry line up hundreds of captured soldiers for your perusal.
    What do you do? Ransom them back? Butcher them all where they stand?

It's a problem I've been wrestling with for some time now and I haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer so I was wondering what you good people thought on the matter. Here are my thoughts so far...

Pro butchering:
    1. Scant Mercy virtue (vice?) is worth getting if your general is a governor.
    2. There have been times where I'm getting to know the enemy spearmen by name after ransoming them back for 5 seasons running and I'm just fed up with fighting every turn (with rapidly dwindling numbers of men) to hang on to some poxy province and a quick bloodletting eases the pressure a treat.
    3. The noise that little red button makes as you butcher them is just so, well..you can practically hear the blade sliding across the breastbone, through the gristle... MUAHAHAHAA

Pro ransoming:
    1. The ransom money often allows you to buy significantly more troops than you've ransomed back, especially if you captured any nobles. (well...duh )
    2. No mercy vice takes a tiny bite out of morale which I've seen said on many occasions to be bad like Eddie Murphy movies (yes, that bad).

Any more thoughts/ideas? Do you think there is a definitive answer, yes or no? I'm quite stumped on this one so any ideas are welcome

P.S. 10 Bonus Points ™ for anyone who can name the comedian I'm quoting in the topic title
    Never trade blows with the enemy.

for me its sluaghter all the time i once killed over 2000 prisoners and got the ultimate virtue Genocide or watever they call it in the game lets just say that no army my elite gen fought against stood their ground.

and that sound is so cool and hearing realy gets the cousins running away crying lol.

but lets be serious for a mo wat if these ppl r real???
    like in tron but on a massive genosidal scale???
    were all war criminal's The horror

British Army: be the best

Whether I ransom them or slaughter them depends upon the situation. If I'm badly outnumbered I kill the prisoners because I don't need them coming back to attack me again in another two years. Also the dread increase helps against larger numbers in the morale department. I will even go as far as killing the prisoners during the battle to try and swing the balance in my favour.

In all other situations, try to ransom and get the florin.
    This space intentionally left blank

I'm generally a heartless beast and offer no mercy But, yep, depends on the situation and how angry I am at my homelands being invaded by factions I called my allies etc

Oh and the comedian? One of my faves, Mr Eddie Izzard, and that happens to be one of my favourite sketches too

I agree with Gregoshi, it depends on the situation. If you know that enemy has much more troops than you, giving him back some of them isn`t worth those florins. And if you`re fighting someone you know you can beat pretty easily, then ransom them.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tartychops @ Dec. 28 2002,05:08)]Oh and the comedian? One of my faves, Mr Eddie Izzard, and that happens to be one of my favourite sketches too
    Heheh...10 Bonus Points ™ to that man It's one of my fave bits of his too- you can't beat having a go at the church, they have to forgive you, it's in the rulebook
    Never trade blows with the enemy.

It kinda depends on the quality of the troops, if they suck then I let them go they ran once, they'll run again but if it's been a tough fight and I dont want to let them reorganise especially if they'll have reinforcements coming from another province then I'll butcher them to make sure.
    When war is declared, Truth is the first casualty

put the runts 2 the sword

Now that I have been doing great with my economy, I don't need the ransom money - so I kill everybody.

He who fights, and runs away - lives to fight another day.
    Not if my cavalry catches, you don't.

Senior Member Senior Member Dhepee's Avatar

It depends. If I capture the king, I execute immediately to prevent him from being ransomed. In fact if I am fighting the king and I know that I have other army stacks ready to go I will cocentrate my entire army on the king just to capture or kill him, even though it means that my army will get a little bit more beaten up.
    If I am fighting an elite army, lots of knights, pavise arbes, pikes, etc, I always massacre just so I don't have to see them again.
    If it is just a peasent army I feel mercy and only execute the ring leaders.
    Run Right at them and board them in the smoke Captain Lucky Jack Aubrey of the HMS Surprise

[QUOTE]He who fights, and runs away - lives to fight another day. Not if my cavalry catches, you don't.

i agree

It really depends on the mood I'm in or how annoyed I am at how the battle went. If I got a bit of a pasting I'll execute them out of spite, otherwise I'll ransome them back. Probably not the best way to do things but.......

I always execute all the rebels. As for the prisoners from other factions, I only leave them alive when I really need the money.

Ah, and I never ransom back my troops, expecially after a route. The only time I paid to get the idiots back, the next battle they were in turned into some kind of running competition...

Senior Member Senior Member Dhepee's Avatar

Quote[/b] (magnatz @ Nov. 11 2003,12:17)]I always execute all the rebels. As for the prisoners from other factions, I only leave them alive when I really need the money.

Ah, and I never ransom back my troops, expecially after a route. The only time I paid to get the idiots back, the next battle they were in turned into some kind of running competition...
    Agreed. Troops that have run once will run a second time. Just let them be executed and enslaved, I have no use for a bunch of sissy trackstars.
    Run Right at them and board them in the smoke Captain Lucky Jack Aubrey of the HMS Surprise

Yes that eddie izzard joke was great along with drilling cats hilarious

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Quote[/b] (Dhepee @ Nov. 11 2003,11:25)]
    I usually just kill them all towards the end to prevent them from coming back - I once ransomed a whole stack and invaded the year after (when they couldn't invade me) and had to fight them all over again

This said, unless a king has no heirs, I will usually not slaughter the prisoners if the king is there and he is not a particularly worthy fighter/general as the money is definitely worth it and it'll take some time until he gets back to fighting form.

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

I kill only peasants and other commoners, if there are nobles I always ransom them back. It's just more medieval to do that. Let them go home and tell the others about my mercy. Oh, and let their families send all those wagons loaded with florins.

For me it depends on how much I want to play the part of whatever faction leader I've chosen. If I play a Muslim faction I execute all the infidels with the exception of heirs (if possible) whom I ransom back to disgrace their line. As a catholic faction I try to be as chivalrous and honorable (at least in terms of how they viewed it...) as I can and release all prisoners...even knowing I'll most likely have to fight them again. Perhaps its's just the roleplay aspect that amuses me...although if I'm the Byzantines...its yer arse heh heh (theres a reason why the word byzantine has such a negative implication these days . As an aside, no matter what route someone prefers...sometimes that 7-10k florin ransom changes your personal rules heh.

I try to restrain myself and only slaughter the poor bastards(can I say that? I'm sure you'll let me know if i cant )if there is a sound tactical reason, like if the enemy monarch just ran screaming like a girl (no offence to the ladies present) from my men for the fourth time, I let him live so he can spawn a flock of cowardly children. On the other hand some factions (they know who they are )
    will be slaughtered for being a pain

P.S. WOoo first post
    There IS a spoon, the little bald kid can go f*@k himself

Ransoming them does have the nice touch of sucking money out of the othersides' treasury. Pity you don't get that choice it exacute them or ransome them after the battle. It would be also nice in the cause of the Byzantines of giving you the choice of the hiring your' prisoners as mercanaries.
    Veni, Venti, Gripi
    I came, I saw, the food did not agree with me.

I believe there is a virtue associated with both choices, mercy and bloodlust. Your king even though he is not commanding that paticular battle will benefit from being merciful. I think 2 times should give you the mercy attribute that results in raised morale in all your provinces. A huge advantage as far as I can see. Most of my problems are with keeping down the rebellions in my vast holdings. It frustrates me to no end when I destroy an enemy and 2 years later a rebel army appears 10 times the strength of the old one, with advanced troops to boot
    Lord Rom

Welcome to the Org, oh Evil SPoon.

Regarding the foul language, we try to keep things pretty clean here - so watch your forkin' language. Seriously, we will usually let a stray word go by, but frown upon regular use of profanity.
    This space intentionally left blank

Is there any chance of raising ZEAL or lowing LOYALTY if you ransom back prisoners? I haven't notice anything like that, but just asking

loud and clear Gregoshi, I'll try my best to control my language, but just in case I let one slip on accident I offer you a premptive pardon my french so to speak

Oh, and thanks for the welcome
    There IS a spoon, the little bald kid can go f*@k himself

For me strictly for monetary reason only. Earlier period i usually ransom prisoners especially after a huge battles with lots of prisoners (sure way to get some nobles).

But later on when my economy is upo and running then, i'll just kill them all.. no mercy.. (anyway sometime when i invade a province then i usually ransom them for goodwill, but if the rebel once then no more mercy then)

Anyway if i'm the one who've been attack, then no mercy to prisoners...
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.

I am absolutely ruthless when I play. Prisoners are almost always summarily executed unless I'm in a good mood about it. Why? Because I like to be a tyrant =). Princes and what not I might let go simply because of the amount of florins I can get out of it, but most of the time, they are put to the sword.

Quote[/b] (Jampe @ Dec. 28 2002,08:44)]
    Quote[/b] (Tartychops @ Dec. 28 2002,05:08)]Oh and the comedian? One of my faves, Mr Eddie Izzard, and that happens to be one of my favourite sketches too
    Heheh...10 Bonus Points ™ to that man It's one of my fave bits of his too- you can't beat having a go at the church, they have to forgive you, it's in the rulebook
    I just saw eddie izzard: dressed to kill the other day. what a funny, funny video. highly recommended. i actually checked out the thread to verify if cake or death was a reference to him, or some random coincidence.
    This is my world
    And I am
    World leader pretend

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

I've gotten genocide 4-5 times
    I get butcher every game i play
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Mediæval Auctoriso Member Member TheSilverKnight's Avatar

When I am angry, and being a good Medieval King, I like to slaughter my enemies. It causes fear and respect from my people.
    "I'm like the Vikings -- I come here, I steal your women, your booze, your dough, and then I go back home." ~ Wiz
    "Play RTW and wait till 1,000 people die and look at them from above. Then tell me it was worth the oil." - Byzantine Prince

Destroyer of Gauls Member bighairyman's Avatar

well, it depends. id i invade a rebel county , then i just release them.

if there's a rebllion in my home country, if the rebels are a bunch of peasnats. i just assum that they're just farmers who are angry of taxes, i realese them. if it's non-peasants, i assum it's a nobility rebel. i excute everyone of them.

now for foreigns, i buther them every chance i have

am i not fair
    No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards dying for their country.

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from red people.

why would anybody want to touch a girl's butt? Bart Sim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast