Thread: Where would You travel?

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Let's say, that some scientist or another has created a time machine, and you could go to a time period for an unlimited time, and you could also be zapped back in an instant, should you desire to do so.

So, where would you travel in:

The Ancient Period (Myceneans, Cretans, New Kingdom, Hittites, etc.), the period of all the great Greek epics?

The Classical Greek Period of Athenian domination?

The Hellenistic Age, after Alexander the Great's death?

The time of the Roman Empire, under the rule of Emperor Trajan?

Personally, I'd prefer to travel to the famous locations of the Greek myths in the period of the Myceneans: Mycenea, Knossos, Troy (before its eventual destruction), Thebe, Thrace, the sites of Hercules' twelve acts, Mt. Olympus, and the place the Argonauts travelled to (the furthest stretch of the Greek world in the time, along the Caspian Sea as most suspect).

In the Classical Greek period, I'd visit Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Cyprus (the city), Nice, Ionia, and the Persian Empire.

In the Hellenistic age, I'd follow in Alexander's footsteps, from Macedonia to Greece, to Asia Minor and Persia, from Egypt to the land to the east of the Caspian Sea, into Parthia and continuing on into India, only to continue my travels and reach China

In the time of Trajan, I'd love to visit Rome (of course), Gaul, Germania Inferior, Brittanica, Hibernia, Corinth, Cyprus, Roman Carthage, what was then mere Byzantion, Antioch, the Bosphoric realm, and then travel due east, entering Parthia and then travelling to China once more, to admire the period not long before the Three Kingdoms

"It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

I'd choose Trajan's time, and buy myself a REAL gladius in the process, instead of the modern day knock off i have today.

(The knock off is still razor sharp though)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

But where would you travel?

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

A tour de Eurasia, from Ireland to Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Thumbs up

I would want to take a quasi - invisible form ... able to walk around freely, but wouldn't be injured or seen.

Given that, I would want to go to every major battle in the time period and observe what happened.

I would start at the battle of Thermopylae and move through time until ... hmm, lets say Napolean.

Everything past that has become button pushing.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The sixties, Amsterdam, Vondelpark

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

I wold go to classical Athens, to watch the Aristophanes' comedies and Evripides or Aeschylous tragedies, in their "native" environment.

I would become a student of Socrates, Aristotle, Plato... talk politics with Alkibiades, stand atop the Akropolis, under the shadow of Athenas' statue, walk around the Agora, walk along the makra tichi...

daydreaming...
    CHIEF HISTORIAN

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Fragony @ Nov. 13 2003,14:41)]The sixties, Amsterdam, Vondelpark
    We're talking the periods from the Mycenean age to the rule of Emperor Trajan of Rome... not hippy orgies.

i guess to start i'd say:

pericles' athens
    augustus' rome
    corinth (before mummius)
    alexandria (before caesar)

bethlehem, nazareth, jerusalem...

c'mon, you have to broaden this to include justinian's constantinople and imperial istanbul...
    life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I think I'd go back and kill Paris of Troy myself.

Actually I'd like to go to Ireland during the Myceanean period and work my way to Japan and back.

I'd need universal understanding of language and to be unable to be harmed by others.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

In the V century BC a smart traveller could manage to meet a number of interesting persons, including - but not limited to - Socrates, Darius, Pericles, Buddha, and Confucius.
    (the idea isn't mine btw, I have lifted it from one of my favorite books - "Creation" by Gore Vidal )

As for me, I think I would like Imperial Rome. I wouldn't even need to move from my current location... I wouldn't mind some traveling though

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

Classical and Hellesnistic age would be sweet, would love to be bale to check out the peleponissian wars thermopyle and alexanders campaing.