Thread: Janes WW2 Fighters

I used to play this a lot and I loved it, the graphics were superb and I reckon are still pretty neat today (it was 3 years before I got a PC that could run it maxed out - like LOMAC there wasn't a PC about that could handle it all graphically). I completed the Allied campaign, but lost the B of Bulge cos of a handful of stupid missions that were *impossible* to win. Like the one were you have to destroy the 4 Ar234s before they take off. A dozen times I blew those Kraut jets to bits and STILL I got a mission failed

Anyway, someone mentioned in the other thread about all the mods for it. Where can I get them from? Is there still an active community?
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I used to play this a lot until last year I bought Combat Flight Simulator 3. When I left there was still a fairl large and active community. They had set up a way to play internet games despite Jane's shutting it down, they had desert mods, Battle of Britain mods, and just general aircraft mods making their aircraft all high poly high resilution models that I think are better than CFS3's and IL2's models. There were mods to change the terrain to look like russian steppes, desert and summer. It was a large large community. Right now I'm getting back into Jane's a bit because my roomate whats to fly against me so I'm in the process of looking for some of the websites I used to frequent, I hope they're still around.

This page is a good start for you, as I feared all the sites in the sites section are down. Looks like a lot of the community died, I'll stil be searching for them though.
    Resource page

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

FOUND IT
    This is the only soure you'll ever need for Jane's WWII Fighters.

WWII Fighters

-Abraham Lincoln

Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I'm a long time WWII Fighters & site junkie and both are great. There are tons of new mods that can be ordered at the site for free. You pay S&H and the cost of the CD itself, but hundreds and hundreds of megs of incredible add-ons are free.

WWIIF is still one of the most graphically luscious games out there. And since it's five years old, it runs like wildfire on most of today's PCs. My XP2000 with a GF4-4200 lets me absolutely cram the airspace with bombers and interceptors. And until you've seen a gigantic furball at dusk in WWIIF, with flaming bombers tumbling from the sky, tracers going everywhere, reflections of the setting sun hitting the dozens of planes, you are missing a graphic feast that has few equals.

Also, amongst the mass of free mods, there is a P-51 cockpit mod that has to be seen to be believed. The detail, the colouring, the reflective glass on the gauges, nothing compares. As I said, the graphics are simply luscious.

There are also flight modelling mods that greatly improve the handling of the planes. Something that was needed in the original game.

As for the site, it is the cleanest, friendliest, site anywhere. Even a hint of a flame, troll, politics or controversy is instantly killed and destroyed. Very tight controls on the posts, but it makes for an excellent community.

Unto each good man a good dog

Your right beirut, the mods really add outstanding graphics. I really like the in cockpit views of the wings, almsot all the mods are offered in 256 and 512 format in the download itself which is why its so good.
    The only reason I even play CFS3 is because the campaign is better down and you can add in aircraft without needing to replace previous ones.

-Abraham Lincoln

Wow Thanks for the links.

I've had this game for ages and ages, totally love it.

You know that smell of decay that you sometimes detect, though, as you walk down the street on a beautiful day?

That's a waft of the reeking stench of my so-called skill level at this game. My apologies.
    I want flying units and faction specific footwear in RTW.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

Hey thanks for the links....hmmm never played it.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

It nicely straddles the realism middle ground between Secret Weapons over Normandy & IL-2 :)
    "I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Default Re: Janes WW2 Fighters

Anyway, someone mentioned in the other thread about all the mods for it. Where can I get them from? Is there still an active community?

i am trying to find players to fly janes ww2 fighters in hyper lobby
    earmjames at gmail dot com

Default Re: Janes WW2 Fighters

lol, first post necromancy.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.