Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic LukMap & Script creator

I think this utility from Wellington deserves a seperate post so that more people will read it. The original conversation can be found at
    http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....;t=3822

This is a quote from Wellington:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Wellington @ Jan. 09 2003,22:12)]Hi Guys,

LukMapMaker is now on the Org's test downloads. It's named "TEST_LukMapMaker_PROVISIONAL_VERSION.zip" and is around 150K. It contains the code/source, the required files and directory structure and a very small (for download considerations) test map called 'Islands'.

You also have to download "TEST_LukMapMaker_GUI_OCX" (22K). I missed this in the original download

IMPORTANT: Please read the "Installation Instructions" 1st. Then read the "FAQ". Then run LukMapMaker on the simple test map ('Islands&#39. Then read the "Readme". It will make far more sense if you do it this way

This a PROVISIONAL version. I'm currently spending 100% of my free time finishing it so expect another version in a week or two.

Two other (larger) test maps have been uploaded -
    - "TEST_LukMapMaker_EXAMPLE_Britain.zip" (500K)
    - "TEST_LukMapMaker_EXAMPLE_WestMed.zip" (1.3 Meg)

I STRONGLY recommend you download these 2 examples, include them in the correct folder and run them. They contain better examples of LukMapMaker functionality that is'nt in the 'Islands' example.

Note that LukMapMaker does A LOT of processing and is VERY CPU intensive. Therefore it can take some time to run (depending on how big your campaign map is). On my PC (1600 P4) the example maps take the following times to run -

Islands - 30 seconds
    Britain - 3 minutes
    WestMed - 9 minutes

I also did a copy of the MTW campaign map and ran LukMapMaker on it. This took 40 minutes You have been warned

Give it a try, see what's it's trying to do and feed any questions/ideas/comments back via the Org.

I have a few more questions regarding this whole area but for now just 1 -

Q1: Can anyone provide me with a document detailing the format of an MTW LBM file (specifically the LukMap's LBM file type format). Ok, I know it's an IFF-type but there are several different LBM formats. If anyone knows this for sure it will save me a lot of time playing around with a Hex editor ... Sigh

Welly.
    Wellington,

in one word WOW You must have spend so much time in making all this. Right now I feel a bit overwhelmed about the potential and it seems that weeks of modding time are made useless in just 30 minutes of playing around with your tool. I'm at work right now and I don't have a playing MTW machine here. I also hardly have any spare time in the evenings at the moment but I hope I can find some time soon to test things with my LOTR maptex.

Anyway, here is some feedback on things without testing your results in MTW yet. I will post some more feedback after I tried your utility on my LOTR maptex, implemented your new script files into the startpos and ran a few tests in MTW to check for any errors, flaws, etc.

* About your question about the format of an MTW LBM file, sorry, can't give you any info on that.

* In "Installation Instructions.txt" you refer to the wrong download file in the "Graphics DLL" section. It should be "CSIFT.ZIP".

* I might think that someone wants to make changes (point castle, port, etc postions) to current LBM files and run that through your converter and make the scripts. I'm also thinking of people who want to use a part of the MTW maptex/lukmap as a mod. Not sure how much works this will cause you though.

* The part about making two region part of the "SameRegion" or connecting to regions as a "LandBridge" was not totally clear to me the first time I read your guide and looked into the paramters and examples. It might be a good idea to dedicate two or three more sentences in the FAQ on explainging how this works.

* The Factons and Parameters text file might look a bit dautning for new modders who are just getting into the mod making. It should be fairly easy for you to make a clickable GUI so that the these factions and parameter fields are also auto-created.

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Panthapower,

"in one word WOW"

In the words of Fred Dibnah "Did you like that ...eh"

" ...it seems that weeks of modding time are made useless in just 30 minutes of playing around with your tool."

Er ... sorry

"* About your question about the format of an MTW LBM file, sorry, can't give you any info on that."

Ok. I hope someone can point me in the right direction here. I read in some post or other that someone had

created a utility that changes the Palette in an LBM (was that you Lord Gnome?). If whoeber did that is

familar with ALL of the LBM file format I'm all ears At present I'm creating '.bmp's for Lukmap and Lukmap2.

I also have a quick small utility that replaces the palette in an LBM with the palette defined in

LukMapMakers "LBMPalette.txt" so I can easily create LBM's from these 2 BIF's - however, it would be nice if

I can build the LBM straight away for the VB 6 executable version. (BTW: I'll post this quick utility,

"LBMPaletteReplacer", to "The Org" if anyone requires it).

"* In "Installation Instructions.txt" you refer to the wrong download file in the "Graphics DLL" section. It

should be "CSIFT.ZIP"."

Whoops - corrected.

"* I might think that someone wants to make changes (point castle, port, etc postions) to current LBM files

and run that through your converter and make the scripts. I'm also thinking of people who want to use a part

of the MTW maptex/lukmap as a mod. Not sure how much works this will cause you though."

The problem is that LukMapMaker requires to know what features are located where on any map. If you want to

change positions on the current MTW campaign map you would still have to provide a '.bmp' image with all the

features writen onto it. This may be a problem as LukMapMaker will most probably NOT allocate the same

regions ID's as in the original - so the Scripot is screwed up Might think more about this area.

I'm sure there are many other routes we can go down with this type of utility. At present I'm thinking about

LukMapMaker having 3 distinct parts in just the one utility -

1) create all the maps correctly and as much of the Script as possible.
    2) add a clickable GUI interface for editing the Script (buttons, drop down lists, combo's ect). This would

allow defining region characteristics (Mountain/Hilly river etc), faction lands, culture/religions, goods and

resources, units and buildings on the regions. Obviously this could be only be done when you have a error

free map from 1)
    3) create an Installer/Uninstaller (I already have one for MUMU - so this is'nt much work).

For now I'm concentrating on 1) - everything else can follow after I get 1) working correctly.

"* The part about making two region part of the "SameRegion" or connecting to regions as a "LandBridge" was

not totally clear to me the first time I read your guide and looked into the paramters and examples. It might

be a good idea to dedicate two or three more sentences in the FAQ on explainging how this works."

I've rehashed the FAQ and readme to explain this a bit better. Then again, an example speaks a thousand

words. I have a new version ready (maybe post it tomorrow) which now creates the small map BIFs and does a

few other things. I'll post this new Version of LukMapMaker when I'm finished all the documention.

"* The Factons and Parameters text file might look a bit dautning for new modders who are just getting into

the mod making. It should be fairly easy for you to make a clickable GUI so that the these factions and

parameter fields are also auto-created."

True. Then again, if you consider how much work/knowledge is required in this whole area of campaign map

modding I really think this type of utility will be a big question mark for new modders. For people who are

already au fait with this area of MTW modding I'm hoping LukMapMaker won't pose too much of a challemge -

hence the copius writeups in the FAQ and Readme.

Think of the "Factions.txt" and many parameters in "Parameters.txt" as being temporary (just to complete a

Script that will work Ok in MTW). Once I move on to writing 2) above this area will change and hopefully be a

lot easier/less confusing.

I'll post again to this thread when I have the next version ready - probably tomorrow.

(BTW: I've created a fantastic LukMap/LukMap2 of the USA circa 1850 - I'm busy trying to incorporate this

into MTW - as Whitey said the Pope may be a problem. The map looks great but it's 9 meg Too big to post

unfortunately)

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Mithel wrote the lukmap pallette converter,
    it's available from the general section of any of the tools download pages,

there is an email in the file he may be able to help,

ALSO you can save the pallette from his utility,
    this might help,

the pallette needs to be ordered to allocate provinces,
    mayhap you can decipher the pallette ordering from his utility and adjust your code to suit?
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

the LBMPaletteReplacer may be usefull,
    it may be usefull to future members who want to work on LBM projects,
    please upload it at the very least for posterity,
    cheers
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Barocca,

Great I'll E-mail Mithel and ask him if he has the LBM file formats defined in his program/utility.

Ok. I'll download the palette replacer. Before I do so I'll have to change it a bit - the reason being I have 2 similar 'bits of code' one for replacing and one for extracting palettes from LBM's. ALso they are specifically (at present) being used for my LukMapMaker testing and so rely on a couple of LukMapMaker characteristics/file structures.

Therefore, I'll merge these 2 bits of code, remove the LukMapMaker file structure dependencies, put a GUI on them, and download them as 1 simple utility to the test downloads area section. You'll then have a simple Import/Export type type utility just for LBM colour palettes (It's only a couple of hours work - and I HATE releasing something that is not 'done properly' - which is why MUMU is taking so long to release ... sigh&#33.

Expect it in a couple of days. I'll post to this thread when I upload it.

Ok,

Another question in this area of campaign maps -

Q: Do windows bitmaps ('.bmp' file types) have a transparency feature built into the file structure?

I'm using a Graphics package for LukMapMaker that does'nt appear to allow certain colours to be transparent for '.bmp' file types. It allows transparency features for '.gif' type images but as BifReader does'nt recognise importing '.gif' type files into frames this is no good to me (NOT a BifReader problem by the way&#33.

My problem is trying to ensure that certain bif files ("minimap.bif" and "factions map lukup.bif") retain some transparency in terms of Sea/Land region colours.

Please bear in mind I'm learning a LOT of this as I go along, and am by no means an expert in this area - therefore, for you guys who are more familiar with this area of graphics files than I am - can a '.bmp' type file support colour transparency within the file structure?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Wellington,

I made some time yesterday to prepare a maptex for LukMap conversion and ran it on my P3-733mhz. It took about two hours for a 9 MB bitmap (yes it was Low-Res) but the result was very good. The program reported 2 errors and 5 warnings but because of the extra info it was easy to track the problems. I still have to run it again now after a small modification so I didn't test your scripts yet.

I have a question though. Would it be possible to make an extract of the newly created regions into a seperate file after the LukMapMaker is finished. Then using that file together with the Re_Identifiers as a guide to manually rename the regions. Then run a second utility to edit your fresh made script to change AddTitles and als create a new Names.txt, Changes.txt, GloryGoals.txt and Variables.txt. I'm sure you are thinking of something like this for your USA campaign too.

About your Pope problems, well I was speaking about this with Whitey via email and it might be an idea to just use the pope as the only Catholic in your MOD. The other religions should give you more then enough options left to play with. The only thing that would remain is that the Pope will not be easily kept of the map when conquered. All the effort Whitey and me have put into it to remove the Pope resulted in a crash or a reapearance of the pope within a few turns.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.

panthapower

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

where is the link, i cant seem to find it
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Quote[/b] (Alrowan @ Jan. 14 2003,11:17)]where is the link, i cant seem to find it
    Download it at:
    http://www.totalwar.org//Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWbeta/

Download the four files which look something like "Test_LukMapMaker"

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

ahh. thanks
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Wellington,

I now have a perfect LukMap.bmp plus a clear script. The whole conversion went without any erros or warnings. I now want to test it in MTW ofcourse and make a new early.txt but I need to convert the files I have to the LBM format first. Although I have your Palette explained in a text file plus the BMP with the corresponding colours, I cannot find a way to convert the BMP to LBM with the palette you used (with the tools I currently have). If you use any special tool or conversion technique, could you please tell me what it is?

Thanks

to stall repetitive enquiries regarding changing province names,

i think in the loc file names.txt
    the line ["Mercia"] {"Mercia"} controls the ingame displayed province name,
    you can change {"Mercia"} to be anything you want,
    but leave ["Mercia"] as it appears in the names.txt file.
    then corresponding changes need to be made to
    changes, events, glorygoals, names and variables text files, ALSO for completeness change JMTutorial.txt
    (57 changes in total)

NOW
    is it possible for the lukmapmaker to use and load an alternate set of province names for display in the reference image files? (if no new list is provided the program should simply use the default list),

i think you always need to use the default list for the campaign script file

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Quote[/b] (barocca @ Jan. 14 2003,16:12)]to stall repetitive enquiries regarding changing province names,

changes, events, glorygoals, names and variables text files, ALSO for completeness change JMTutorial.txt
    (57 changes in total)

NOW
    is it possible for the lukmapmaker to use and load an alternate set of province names for display in the reference image files? (if no new list is provided the program should simply use the default list),

Barocca,

I'm almost 100% sure we need the offical Region_ID names to use in our scripts. No way to change them I guess. But we should be able to make changes to the display names, event names, etc.
    What I asked for in my previous post was that if Wellington could include a conversion for this in his tool too but leave the Region_ID's intact.

Panthapower/Barocca,

First, I should say you guys are at a 'more advanced' stage in this than I am. I've been writing the code as I go along (based on requirements for my USA campaign) but I see I'm going to have to provide a bit more functionality in LukMapMaker to get the next step moving (what I always anticipated to be stage 2 of this developement).

Obviously I was always anticipating proving this ID/Name translation for both the Script and the Names.txt in Loc/Eng, but I'm going to have to do something NOW.

Ok, what I propose is the following -

Region names and MTW Identifiers
    ================================

1) Another file 'RegionNames.txt' in each of your map's folders containing a cross reference of MTW Identifiers and specific names for your campaign. This will look like -

ID_Scotland "Utah"
    ID_North_umbria "New York"
    ID_Mercia "Florida"
    ... and so on

If you copy the file "Lookuptable.txt" into your map folder, rename it to "RegionNames.txt" and edit it as per the above you can be creating part of your specific "RegionNames.txt" now whilst I'm writing the code for it (providing your map is the final version you should now know exactly which MTW identifiers LukMapMaker has assigned to the various regions on your map).

2) LukMapMaker will write another "Ref_" type file ("Ref_Names.bmp") that uses the names defined in your RegionNames.txt - very similar to "Ref_Identifiers.txt"

3) LukMapMaker will use these names in the Script.txt (as opposed to the names it currently uses which are defined in the "LookupTable.txt").

4) LukMapMaker will also take a copy of the MTW "Names.txt" (in the Loc/Eng folder) and translate the MTW names to your specific names.

5) As Barocca pointed out, there may be a few MTW text files that require translating as per 4) - if you can you help me out by posting a definitive list of ALL MTW files that will need translating this will save me time (Note: once I've coded LukMapMaker to translate 1 MTW text file, "Names.txt", any other's filkes that require similar translating are easy - I can use the same routine for all of them).

6) Any MTW files LukMapMaker translates with your "RegionNames.txt" names will be written to the MTWFiles folder for the specific map.

LukMapMaker - 2 run's
    =====================

This will require AT LEAST 2 run's of LukMapMaker.

1) run 1 (or more) - getting the map error free and final. Only then will you be able to correctly assign names in the "RegionNames.txt"

2) run 2 - to allow LukMapMaker to do the translation using the MTW IDs/names cross reference you've provided (ok - maybe a bit inefficient but it's quick and easy - I can redo/rethink this later).

LBM Palettes
    ============

I really hav'nt got this far yet (as I was anticipating writing the actual LBM) - still, whilst I'm waiting for LBM file format info maybe the following will be a quick workaround -

a) convert the created lukmap/lukmap2 BMPs into LBMs via the utility Gfx2 (Barocca knows all about this utility) or any other Graphics package.

b) use another small utility (that I'll provide and download together with the 2nd version of LukMapMaker) in order to replace the palette in the LBMs, as per a) above, with the palette defined in LukMapMakers "LBMPalette.txt" file.

This small utility will probably be called "LBMPaletteInOut.vbs" and will be a VB Script as per LukMapMaker.

LukMapMaker Files
    =================

I may also add another table ("MTWNameFiles.txt"?) in the defaults which will just list the various MTW paths and files that require translation (eg: "loc/end/names.txt") with the required names provided in "RegionNames.txt". I'll have to think about this - may be a bit more flexable (instead of hardcoding a list) in case I miss an MTW file somewhere. Then LukMapMaker can just run through all the files you've listed for translation.

Hence the reference/input text files that LukMapMaker will be using would be -

- "LBMPalette.txt" - in the Defaults folder
    - "LookUpTable.txt" - in the Defaults folder
    - "MTWNameFiles.txt" - in the Defaults folder
    - "Parameters.txt" - in the specific map folder
    - "Factions.txt" - in the specific map folder
    - "RegionNames.txt" - in the specific map folder

Conclusion
    ----------

I was going to release the 2nd version of LukMapMaker today or tomorrow. I'll wait until this extra code is in and working - maybe 2/3 days. I'll also include the "LBMPaletteInOut.vbs" utility to assist in replacing the 'lukmap.lbm/lukmap2.lbm' palettes with LukMapMakers "LBMPalette.txt".

Whilst I'm coding, are there any other "Ref_" type files that may be useful? Note: the 2nd version creates the "Xref.txt" which is very useful (it also creates the BIFs, and frames/borders, for the correctly sized small maps and does a 'few other things&#39.

Have I missed anything? Let me know.

regards,
    Welly

(BTW: Panthapower - beware of a small bug when LukMapMaker creates the Script.txt - look for a string of "ID_ID_", or is it "FN_FN_", in the created Script.txt)

Hello this is a brilliant program I got it to work but some land regions were in the sea etc.I Converted the luk map bmp's to png's with photoshop & then to lbm's with mith's image converter which seemed to mess around with your colour palette, but still it worked, can't wait for the finished product. Thx M.E

Hello this is a brilliant program I got it to work but some land regions were in the sea etc.I Converted the luk map bmp's to png's with photoshop & then to lbm's with mith's image converter which seemed to mess around with your colour palette, but still it worked, can't wait for the finished product. Thx M.E

Quote[/b] (MR EGG @ Jan. 14 2003,15:58)]Hello this is a brilliant program I got it to work but some land regions were in the sea etc.I Converted the luk map bmp's to png's with photoshop & then to lbm's with mith's image converter which seemed to mess around with your colour palette, but still it worked, can't wait for the finished product. Thx M.E
    Mr Egg,

Thanks for your kind comments. This is a very PROVISIONAL version at present. A new version will arrive in a few days (2 or 3) with more functionality (and correcting some issues) in respect of -

- providing the correct 'small maps' with borders/frames
    - providing a 'quick and easy' (if somewhat 'dirty'&#33 solution to Panthapower and Barocca's ideas/requests for associating MTW identifiers (eg: ID_SCOTLAND) with modders province names.

At this stage of developement I should really say I appreciate all the ideas/advice/answers to questions, etc that I've received from many other Modders in this group. The feedback to my original thread, and other similar threads (from Panthapower, Whitey, Barocca, Alrowan and many others), have aided me ENORMOUSLY in gleaning information from the work of others.

Ok, maybe I wrote the code but it really was a case of 'standing on the shoulders of giants' so my thanks to all who have contributed to this project (whether you realise you have contributed or not&#33.

BTW: this project IS'NT finished yet - so please add your ideas NOW - and (as far as I'm concerned) NO idea is a STUPID idea Speak now whilst I'm busy with it.

Mr Egg - nice to see a 'new face' looking at what we are trying to do in this small forum.

You said "I got it to work but some land regions were in the sea etc." Did you manage to correct your map ok by refering to the "Ref_" type files and /or the 'Errorlog.txt'? Any further problems?

Stay tuned

regards,
    Welly

Quote[/b] (PanthaPower @ Jan. 14 2003,10:35)]
    Quote[/b] (barocca @ Jan. 14 2003,16:12)]to stall repetitive enquiries regarding changing province names,

(57 changes in total)

NOW

Barocca,

I'm almost 100% sure we need the offical Region_ID names to use in our scripts. No way to change them I guess. But we should be able to make changes to the display names, event names, etc.
    What I asked for in my previous post was that if Wellington could include a conversion for this in his tool too but leave the Region_ID's intact.
    i also think you are correct,
    the script needs the correct names (i think - alomst 100% certain),
    (i must have misread your post,)

what i asked is for the ref_ images to use the "new" province names as chnged in the names/changes etc files...
    BUT the script to use the default names

(in other words we asked for the same thing, just using different words to do so)
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

here's a clue,
    mithels program lets you save the pallette from an official lukmap and then you use his utility to "order" the pallette entries in a new lukmap by loading the previously saved pallette (from the official lukmap),

Wellington,
    can you "examine" the saved pallette from mithels program, maybe that will allow you to solve your problem??
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Quote[/b] (MR EGG @ Jan. 14 2003,21:58)]Hello this is a brilliant program I got it to work but some land regions were in the sea etc.I Converted the luk map bmp's to png's with photoshop & then to lbm's with mith's image converter which seemed to mess around with your colour palette, but still it worked, can't wait for the finished product. Thx M.E
    Mr Egg,

I aso use the BMP to PNG to LBM via Mithel's tool but one crucial step in that process which you din't include is the Loading of the pallette (which includes the RGB values for each slot).
    I assume you are just importing a pallette which you extracted from another LBM file in the past (which is probably the reason why you say Mithel's program messes it up). And because it messes up, the ID_Region's in the script will not recognize the correct regions anymore and give the proper attributes.

The only way we can make a working LBM file after running the LukMapMaker at the moment is either trying to find a way to import the pallette Wellington provided into the new files the tool creates (hoping that whatever program we use doesn't screw the pallette up while saving) or wait for an update of Wellington's tool.

I tried the first option to load the pallette but it didn't work for me. So I'll go for option two to just wait for the new tool and give some feedback while waiting.

Wellington,

I didn't have any time yesterday to do any testing or reply to your new post. I will test some things later this evening concerning the changing of Region names in different files and post the results here when 'm ready.

Thanks for telling me about the bug. I also noticed it yesterday evening while going through the script quickly. It seems that it only happens with the PlaceLeader:: section.

About this part where you state that some people on this forum (including me) are 'more advanced' in this stage of the campaign map modding, well, I don't feel that way.

By the way, what would be a great addition to your LukMapMaker (can we call it LMM from now on?) is that you can run the program starting at different stages (saves a lot of CPU time and shortens the testing time). I'm not sure if your program will allow to jump in at different stages after the creation of some BMP files (e.g. to add a port) but it would be a great addition to change e.g. something in the parameter.txt/faction.txt and run your program again to create a new script without creating new LukMap.bmp, etc. My PC "chokes" for 1,5 hour to crank out the files so this option would be a warm welcome

Concerning your programming on the "Region names and MTW Identifiers" I have a question. As you write your ideas I get the idea that you will try to make things dynamic in a way that the user won't have to "supply" e.g. the names.txt. I get the idea that you will look in the registry for the MTW root (or using your idea of creating a "MTWNameFiles.txt") and use that directory as the source for your conversion process and write the results in the LMM-Mod directory or the MTW directory. If my assumption is right, you should be careful because most modders (including me) have multiple instances of MTW. I suggest that the user who wishes to run your program should manually make the files available in the same folder where you also put the initial BMP, parameters.txt and faction.txt. If not available, your program shouldn't generate anything. But that's just my two cents.

About uploading the "LBMPaletteInOut.vbs"
    to import your Colour table into the LBM, YES PLEASE

Okay, I will post some more later this evening about the Text files needed for translations.

Quote[/b] (PanthaPower @ Jan. 15 2003,05:06)]...My PC "chokes" for 1,5 hour to crank out the files...
    my PC has been smoothed - nothing running in the background and is actually 10% faster than the expected times for cranking out the files,
    suggest check what is running behind your back and minimise the numbers of additional apps and utils loading at startup

Quote[/b] (PanthaPower @ Jan. 15 2003,05:06)]Concerning your programming on the "Region names and MTW Identifiers" ... If my assumption is right, you should be careful because most modders (including me) have multiple instances of MTW. I suggest that the user who wishes to run your program should manually make the files available in the same folder where you also put the initial BMP, parameters.txt and faction.txt. If not available, your program shouldn't generate anything...
    agree 100%
    I have 3 copies of MTW on my HDD...

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

A few quick points -

Running LMM in 2 diffferent ways
    ================================

Good idea Panthapower. There are a few snags in this however. At present LMM can be thought of as consisting of 2 seperate 'parts', each part really doing it's own thing -

1) all the map making (which takes all the time)
    2) building the Xref/Script text files and doing the names translation of the 'Loc/Eng' folder files (when I manage to get this done)

All the LMM routines for 1) are very inter-dependent in that one routine relies heavily on work that has been performed by prior routines. Therefore, you cant just add anothor port on your map and just run the LMM "Port routines" - LMM would still have to do all the prior work. Trying to change it would be a pain.

What you CAN do however (and I've already coded this in now&#33 is perform 2 different types of run -

a) a Map and Script creation run
    b) a Script creation only run

The idea is that once you have a set of maps your happy with, after running a), you can then start changing the various parameters relating to b) - factions.txt, regionnames.txt, parameters.txt ... and any others that we may add for the translation parts. This would allow you to do a bit of trial and error on various parameters for the Script etc. This will save a LOT of time.

Q: As regards the Script file that LMM creates do you we need another other options in generating this Sceript? A lot of the parameters for the keywords (MakeUnit:: etc) are hard coded. ANy thoughts on any paramters that may be useful to allow user definition?

Translation of names
    ====================

I've a quick look at the tables in loc/eng/names.txt - hhmmm ... may be a bit trickier than I 1st thought as there seem to be several different formats for MTW region names (ie "Ilse de France", " of Ilse de France", "The King of France", "chancellor of France", "Paris Castle" and so on ). These are all closely related but also unrelated if you know what I mean. Also titles may be a bit painful. Still anything LMM can do in this respect will be better than nothing. Any thoughts?

MTW Installation folder
    =======================

As for the MTW root folder I've added 2 'browse for folder' calls (standard Windows API), one for the MTW root and one for the BifReader root.

I'm anticipating most/all users of LMM will specify an unmodded MTW folder as this is where LMM will get the 4 small bif maps and the loc/eng stuff from. It will just copy the required stuff into the MTWfiles folder of your map folder.

The BIF reader folder is required for the DOS call LMM makes to translate the 4 small map bmp's to bif's.

Note: You don't have to specify these 2 folders every time you run LMM - only the first time.

Barocca - I can't seem to find the 'special version' of BifReader (in "The Orgs" downloads) that RSW did for the DOS interface. I have a folder downloaded that was named 'RSW_read_bif_buf_v22a' - the Readbif.exe was dated 13th Dec 2002. I'll have to inform LMM users to download this version of BifReader, as opposed to other versions. Any ideas where it is?

It'll be another 2 days before I have the 2nd version ready.

i had it stored in my home drive,
    just made a fresh version in upload folder
    http://www.totalwar.org/Downloa....22a.zip

includes readme's
    readme22 (dos commands) and readme22a (pallette commands)

The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Wellington,

sorry for the late response. I wasn't able to test anything the last two days.

Okay, back to your topic, some of the answers you asked for are being answered by some posts in the [b]Script files - can we collect our knowledge?[b] thread. So have a look at that too please

Concerning the tool, well, it would be really cool if you could implement that 2 different runs thing in your next beta-release. That would save a lot of time for changing scripts without changin the images. Concerning "jumping in" after already creating some BMP files, well, adding a castle, port, etc will not be too much of a problem for any serious modder I guess. And if not, we could just go for another full run.

To answer your findings on the translation of names, yes I also found that out taht it might become tricky. My idea is the following. I'll take the example you gave from Ilse de France:

"Ilse de France" in names.txt for the region_ID becomes "Netherlands"
    " of Ilse de France" becomes " of %region_ID name%"
    "The King/Eorl/Etc of France" becomes "The governor of %region_ID name%"
    "chancellor of France" becomes "Chancellor of %region_ID name%"
    "Paris Castle" becomes "%region_ID name% Castle"

I know that this will result in a very "basic" txt file but hey, it's at least better then changing everything by hand. IN the cases where you would really like to rename e.g. your castle to "Amsterdam Castle" things can still be done manually in the text files.

Concerning your question about more options to generate the script, well, I'm not sure at the moment. If you get the LukMap creation together with Border Attributes, etc plus the translation of names working, that would be cover most problems for modders already
    One other thing I would like to see is that after the creation of the LukMaps, we will specify which provinces become rebel and which provinces are givin to which factions. After this step, the ultimate tool will even be able to make a clickable interface to select the different units available for each faction.

OKay, if you have any further question, let me know.

Panthapower

A very quick update guys,

LMM PROVISIONAL VERSION 2
    =========================

This should be ready and downloadable from the "The Org" tomorrow. I've now cracked most of the problems I was wrestling with in terms of maps. This 2nd prov version now provides correct BIF's for the 4 small maps (courtesy of RSW's BifReader - thanks RSW&#33 that WORK in MTW ... you wont believe just HOW happy I was to see these maps (minimap/minilukup etc) showing up in MTW AND WORKING CORRECTLY

There are now 2 'run' modes working -
    - a Map and Script run (do all the Maps and the Script work)
    - a Script run (just do the Script work)

... and I may be able to get a "Test run" into this version (I'd like to add this - time providing). A "Test run" would merely validate features on the users Maps and create the "Ref_nnnnn" type reference stuff - but WITHOUT doing all of the CPU map processing. The idea being you can draw your features on your map and LMM would do a bit of processing and a bit of validation (NOT the full works of course) which would probably help solve 80% or so of initial errors in terms of the 'input map'. Anyway, if I can't get it into this version by tomorrow I WILL in the next prov version 3.

Not much progress in terms of translation unfortunately - I know how to do it (and have coded the 'framework' - which you'll see in version 2) but other issues have eaten away at time.

I'm now spending all my time on LMM's Script creation routines. I've solved many problems with how LMM was creating the Script file - but it's STILL not perfect. I've changed a lot of the Script creation routines in order for LMM to build all the Script keywords/paramters AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE to what we see in the 'early.txt'. Ok, maybe it's not important/relevant but if LMM follows the format of the CA provided Scripts that we KNOW works fine, it tends to eliminate potential testing for 'unknowns'. This all area of LMM providing a Script that, at least, shows up in the MTW Campaign panel is my major consideration at present (the translation stuff can all follow - once I'm happy LMM can generate test Scripts that MTW recognises).

Regardless of how much I manage to get incorporated into prov version 2 it WILL be released tomorrow - because having all 4 of the bif 'minimap type maps' is major progress (well .. for me it is&#33 and will help enormously in terms of feedback for version 3.

That's for all the info in the 'Scipts validation' thread. This is already helping me in respect of LMM generating correct/logical Script parameters.

Stay tuned - 24 hours.

barocca = one very happy modder
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Another quick update,

LMM PROVISIONAL VERSION 2
    =========================

The test run mode in NOW in LMM2. You can run in 3 modes -

1) "Test Map" run
    - does 1 pass of the users map and creates all the "Ref_nnnn" stuff
    2) "Map Script" run
    - does multiple passes of the users map, creates all the "Ref_nnnn" stuff and all the MTW maps
    - creates the Script/Xref files
    3) "Script" run
    - recreates the Script/Xref files (and incorporates any changes to such files)

In testing on my USA map (9 meg map, res = 2149x1472) these 3 runs take -

"Test map" run - 3 minutes
    "Map/Script" run - 1 hour (sigh)
    "Script" run - 1 minute

Barocca - version 1
    ===================

Can you remove the version 1 of LukMapMaker from the TEST downloads before I upload version 2. I won't be supporting version 1 and this should avoid confusion for new patrons who wish to download LMM.

DON'T remove the examples and DON'T remove the OCX.

Many Thanks,
    Welly

will move it into the last backup directory now.
    cheers,
    B.

PS
    please upload any test maps you have made,
    cut into 2meg chunks and i will gather the pieces and "join" them together.
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

LBMPaletteInOut in now available.

Check the thread "New Utility - LBM Colour palette ..." for details.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast