Thread: Middle Earth: Total War

Updates:
    24-10-2003: ME:TW - Players forum
    06-10-2003: News from the ME:TW-Team
    04-09-2003: Medieval Earth: Total War version 0.1 available
    24-8-2003: New screenshots added
    23-8-2003: New screenshots added

The Middle Earth: Total War News, 24th October, 2003
    For the people who are interested in our ME:TW mod or who want to discuss Middle Earth in general, we have set up a players forum where you happily chat away and be the first ones to know about news concerning the ME:TW mod.

Just follow this link and register: ME:TW - Players forum

The Middle Earth: Total War News, 6th October, 2003
    The last month we had some difficulties at the forums with guiding our devoted members. This is being sorted now, and several areas are progressing again.

Campaignmap
    As you have already seen on page 4, we finally have the campaignmap, thanks to Knight of Ni. This is at the moment being edited at a very high standard by LOTR-Helper. The map will contain almost all of Middle Earth, ranging from the Grey Havens to beyond the blackened wastelands of Mordor.

We are planning to add faction specific castle-pieces for each of the factions; you will see Barad-Dur, Orthanc, Minas Tirith and others in all their glory and evilness on the campaignmap. However, it has to be researched in what measures this can be achieved on the battlemaps.

Unitgraphics
    The team has been strengthened by a 3D artist, called Ancalagon the Black, that has made numerous 3D airplanes for WW games. Ancalagon will start working on making the Gondor units and then the Easterlings and Haradrim. Duke John has started on the Orcs and the fearsome Troll, watch for screenshots in the coming week Meanwhile PYJ99 is responsible for the correct placement of weapons and shields that you see on the battlefield.

Playtesting
    An organised team of playtesters has been setup to balance the different units and while the excel sheets seem incomprehensible, their approach is working.

Downloads

Newest version:
    Middle Earth: Total War BETA v0.1

Features
    - Two playable factions: Rohan and Isengard;
    - 20 faction specific units: Riders of Rohan, Warg Riders, Uruk-Hai and more;
    - All new unit graphics

MTW 1.1 version:
    Available here

To correctly install the ME:TW mod you must have an unmoddified Medieval: Total War game installed with the 1.1 patch applied. This version does not work with a Viking Invasion installation.

MTW 2.0 Viking Invasion version:
    Not availabe yet

Patches
    N/A

Forum
    ME:TW Development forum

Cheers, the Middle Earth: Total War team.

This mod is made and updated by fans of the works of Tolkien, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. Copyrights and trademarks for the books and films are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law.

--------------edit by drone-------------------------
    ME:TW beta v7.0 can be found here
    ME:TW 7.0-7.1 patch can be found here
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by drone; 08-23-2011 at 04:46. Reason: added updated link

Screenshots
    To view a screenshot click on the title.

Screenshot 10-6-2003

The Misty Mountains

Screenshots 8-24-2003

Main menu

Custom battle screen

Isengard army attacking

Rohan army fighting the Uruk-Hai

Warg Riders perform a flank attack

Cheers, the Middle Earth: Total War - Team

I need to change my armor Member Sir Robin's Avatar

Talking

WOW
    Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor,
    who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

that is so sweet

im going to dig out my MTW CD just for it

couple of Q's

What version is it based on? MTW, MTW1.1 or MTW:VI?

Will more factions be added?

whens it out?

British Army: be the best

1. This BETA is an historical battle between Rohan and Isengard (featured in Tolkien's Unfinished Tales): The Battle of the Fords of Isen.

2. It is compatible with MTW v.1.1.

3. Other factions and troops will be added in order to complete the campaign mod. Currently there are fewer than 10 people actively working to produce this mod, so it may take some time to complete. We are just starting playtesting of the units and working on the battle map.

For the campaign, there will need to be a campaign map as well of course.

It will be done when it's done. When that is depends in part upon how much help we get and what problems emerge between now and then. This isn't going to be easy you know
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

HOLY SH*T
    I didn't write criticizing. I wrote criticised. Which is correct, unless you're trying to raise some bizzare nationalist argument; the kind of stupidity requiring some smarts to begin with.

-Unknown Know-it-all

Somewhere between the sink and the toilet

I understand the situation that you guys are in. But generally speaking, how much time are we looking at?
    WORMS

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Talking

COngratulations. It's looking EXCELLENT so far I guess you will have to make new battlemaps as well.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (cugel @ Aug. 22 2003,19:48)]For the campaign, there will need to be a campaign map as well of course.

It will be done when it's done. When that is depends in part upon how much help we get and what problems emerge between now and then. This isn't going to be easy you know
    I'll be assisting with the new campaign map after LMM5 is released. At present my understanding is that the first 1 or 2 releases of METW will concetrate on historical battles and campaigns.

This is good because it gives the team time to concentrate on the campaign map aspects whilst METW releases are still ongoing.

Nice work guys, Ill look forward to seeing this mod, shame that the ai will let it down on the campaign map Or have you guys found a way round that?

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Thumbs up

Looks impressive.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Never expected to say this from something Tolkien-Based, created by anyone else but the great God J.R.R Himself...

but this looks awesome .
    Abandon all hope.

Just one note though, the Isengard should have some normal goblins as well, the army didnt't purely consist of Uruk Hais .

I'll make it a news item 1st thing tomorrow .

Now, ...for some sleep ...

Can the team-leader contact me on :

e l f l a n d s @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Abandon all hope.

I must say, this looks like its going to be the very best mod ever made, that I've seen anyway. This is making me salivate even more than RTW, being the LOTR freak that I am. The only thing I want to know is if you need any kind of Middle-Earth, LOTR fanatical scholar-guy to help you in figuring out unit types or descriptions, or where to make the province boundaries and such. I also know a fantastic site thats an LOTR/Middle Earth history/Everything Tolkien encyclopedia that doesnt have one thing that is missing from it. I don't want to be critical, but it seems the Uruk Hai are slightly, slightly mind you, overpowered. They are about as strong as a man, but are not trained at all. They are born, and given a cheap and mass produced sword, as well as heavy, but mderately effective armor. Like I said they are not trained except for how to handle a weapon, so they should probably not be disciplned, nor should they probaby have weapons whic require it, such as a pike. I don't remember reading about orcish pikemen. The Uruk Hai should be thought of as having about twice the armor of other orcs (nothing to boast about, really) and maybe slightly stronger than a man, withou discipline or a lot of training. They dont really need pikes, the wargs shoul be their anti-horse, because they slash at their bellies and such. I must also say that Saruman's army should comprise of more types of orc than just Uruk-Hai. There shoul be contingents of smller goblins as well. The Uruk-Hai were reatively new, and could not really be produced en masse until near th battle of the Hornburg, which i why Saruman threw all of them at it. There were not enough to leave behind for defense. That said, I want to say I'm very sorry if I'm beng annoying or redundant. I respect greatly the enormous endeavor you are undertaking, and only wish to contribute to it. Thank you for making this, and for your time.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I wonder about the elves. I'm not that into LOTR, but i've read a few things. I mean, like the forest elves and the archery. I'd think it would be so cool.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

All Elvish archer units will have exceptional skills. We added the Uruk-Hai Pikemen to bring in some variety as well as an anti-cav unit for Isengard. This was essential due to the game mechanics of MTW, and, Isengard will be facing Rohan most of the time.

The Warg Rider unit was meant to resemble Mounted Sergeants as far as units go, and the Warg ARchers will pretty much play like Horse Archers. They will have a "cause fear to horses" bonus though; similar to the camel units of MTW.

In the mod, our representation of the Uruk-Hai is giving them, for the most part, descent armor, attack, defence, and morale varying from unit to unit. For example, Uruks of the White Hand will excell in attack, whereas Pike Uruk-Hai will defend much better.

The mod and the hard-working people making the mod ARE trying to keep the mod as close to the Middle Earth from the literature as much as possible, but understandibly, this in some cases can be impracticle. So please, bear with us.

WORMS

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quite a few questions that I will try to answer:

What other races do we have in mind?
    At the moment we have the Rohirrim, Isengard, Gondor, Mordor, Elves, Dwarves (in alliance with men probably) and a Goblin (or minor Orcs) faction.

Uruk-Hai
    We have a very knowledgeable teammember that I trust and he says that the Uruk-Hai did indeed use pikes. Also I think it fits the "technology" theme of Isengard. Remember that we're making a game here and if we strictly adhere to the books of Tolkien we will probably get boring armies with 3 or 4 choices.
    Stats of the Uruk-Hai can always be altered after play-testing.

Isengard should get Orcs as a troopchoice...
    This might be an option but it takes time to make new units so please bear with me. At the moment Isengard has Wildmen as a cheap expendable trooptype.

Campaignmap
    At the moment we're finishing the units of Isengard and Rohan. That's where we are, questions about campaignmap or other races cannot be answered since these are still in early development.

When can we download the first release?
    Just one answer, when it's done. We've decided to leave out some extras such as the historical battles. These will downloadable at a later stage. This means that the release will be sooner, I guess in somewhere in the coming two weeks.

Cheers, Duke John

DJ,

So are Isengards colors white on black? Then what of Gondor?
    WORMS

white tree .
    Abandon all hope.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

I'm guessing that Gondor will be a silvery white, just enough to distinguish it from Isengard on the map.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Senior Member Senior Member Duke John's Avatar

My thoughts on the colours were: this releases focuses solely on Isengard and Rohan. In the books Isengard is white on black. It's true that Mordor and Gondor also have a black background but since both are not in the first release then why restrict ourselves. Besides in VI it's possible to make your own faction colours.

Cheers, Duke John

Gondor is usually the white tree, is it not? like a silver-ish on a white background.

one word. WOW
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

The first post contained too many pictures, so I had to move the Faction section to this place. Each faction will get his own post.

Rohan's history was one of conflict and war; with the Orcs of the White Mountains, the Dunlendings to the west, and ultimately with Saruman in Orthanc, whose lands bordered Rohan to the north.

Units

Rohan Royal Guard
    Only the strongest of the Rohirrim are fit to serve as the King's personal bodyguard. Trained from infancy, the Royal Guard are supremely disciplined and loyal. Armed with heavy lances and large shields, they are adept at riding down opponents with thier lances.

Horse Lords
    Having mastered the art of mounted combat, the Horse Lords of Rohan are a formidable medium cavalry force that can be used for many tasks on the field. Well armed and armoured, the Horse Lords are proficient at cutting through armoured opponents, thanks to the axes they wield.

Riders of Rohan
    Though more lightly armoured compared to the other levies of the Rohirrim, the Riders of Rohan are amed with heavy spears and broad shields. Though they can give a good account for themselves in melee, they shouldn't be commited to a prolonged fight. Possesing great speed, the Riders of Rohan can easily run down any routing foe, or if need be, evade pursuit.

Rohirrim Horse Archers
    The horse archer of Rohan stress speed and manueverability over dedicating themselves into melee. Unlike the other cavalry of the Rohan, Rohirrim cavalry archers are swift and excel in disrupting enemy formations and harrasing them with arrow fire.

Rohan Mounted Javelineers
    Swift and lighty armoured, the Mounted Javelineers are an affective and inexpensive addition to the armies of the Rohirrim. On the field of battle, they serve as quick, mounted skirmishers. Armed with javelins and light lances, the Rohan Mounted Javelineers often harass the enemy with missile fire, and then pull back for the charge.

Rohirrim Mounted Fyrdmen
    During times of war hosts of non-professional warriors, called Fyrds, may also be called into service. The Fyrds consist mainly of men past their prime, young men not ready to become Riders, and meaner folk otherwise unable to serve in the King's Host. However, due to the ample amount of mounted and trained Riders, the fyrd would be rarely needed.

Rohan Foot Royal Guard

Rohirrim Axemen

Warriors of Rohan

Rohirrim Arhers

Rohan Javelineers

Rohirrim Fyrdmen

-The Middle Earth: Total War Team

This mod is made and updated by fans of the works of Tolkien, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. Copyrights and trademarks for the books and films are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law.

If Orcs are the foulest creatures to walk Middle-earth then Uruk-Hai are the most dangerous perversion of the breed. Where ordinary Orcs are crook limbed and timid, the Uruk-Hai are strong, muscular, upright warriors of greater skill and courage. They are no less evil-hearted than their smaller cousins however. Their capacity for evil is greater still.

Units

Uruks of the White Hand
    These elite warriors are all honored with the badge of the white hand. The fighting Uruk-Hai fear nothing. Unlike their orcish predecessors, and more like their human-blood, the Uruk-Hai stand tall and are unaffected by the sun. They wield broad-bladed swords, are protected by heavy mail and fight in massed formations; and are specialized in close combat, and fighting in wedges. They are well- trained, disciplined, and keep good order even after being tired by battle.

Pike Uruk-Hai
    The fighting Uruk-Hai are adept to using many weapons on the field of battle. The pike is one of them. Over 4 meters in height, the pike stands as an excellent defensive weapon. Uruk-Hai Pikemen, like most other Uruk-Hai, are excectionally well trained. Donning armour forged from the fires of Isengard, the Uruk-Hai Pikemen excell in defence.

Crossbow Uruk-Hai
    The crossbow is another deadly weapon employed by the minions of the cunning Saruman. The penetrating ability of the bolts means that the Uruk-Hai should also be feared from afar.

Uruk-Hai Berserkers
    The most feared of the mighty Uruk-Hai are the fierce Berserkers. Before battle, it is said human blood is smeared upon their faces to aggitate their lust for blood. In combat, they wield large, two-handed swords- that are nearly taller than they are They wear no armour, except helmets which bear the marking of the White Hand.

Wildmen of Dunland
    The Dunlendings were ancient inhabitants of Rohan. Driven off by Gondor and the Rohirrim hundreds of hears ago, the Dunlendings are once again enticed to war through the council of Saruman.

Dunlending Axemen

Warg Rider
    Wargs are an intelligent and large race of wolf. Under the service of Saruman, they eagerly join battle with orcs mounted on their backs. Agile and very fast, the Warg Riders act as scouts as well as a capable cavalry for the armies of Isengard. The very sight of a ferocious Warg causes fear and discontent within the ranks of opposing armies, especially horses, and the savage jaws and axes of the onset of the charge of Warg Riders is devestating.

Warg Archers
    The speed of the great Wargs is a valuable asset to the forces of Isengard. Able to span great distances in little time, Warg Archers can pepper enemy formations with arrow fire before pulling back. Though capable of melee due to the fanged ferocity of the Warg, their tactics are often as skirmishing and harrassing troops.

-The Middle Earth: Total War Team

Installation notes
    The Unit Beta v0.1 release is now ready for download here. (6.4mb)
    Note that this is for Medieval: Total War version 1.1 only To install do the following:
    - extract the zip file into a temporary directory
    - then copy the entire content of that directory over a clean installation of M:TW 1.1, overwrite everything.

Playing Middle Earth: Total War
    After installation, set up a custom battle using the new "Middle Earth: Third Age" period and select either the Rohan or Isengard faction. This release features the Rohan and Isengard units that are listed in the above posts.

Work in progress...
    Please note that this is only a beta release and is still only a work in progress. If after playing this mod you have the urge to help us recreate Middle Earth then feel free to drop by at our forums.

Further releases
    A map pack of Middle Earth maps, set in the homelands of both Rohan and Isengard will be released in the near future.

Finally, if you can provide a mirror for this, or any other releases we have, please let us know.

Tolkien Estate License
    This mod is not officially approved by the Tolkien Estate or Tolkien Enterprises. We are now creating something that has been wanted by this community for some time.
    One of the things I must stress, however, is that the project as a whole does not intend to benefit in any way, be it through money or superfluous fame.
    The Middle-Earth mod for Total war is based in the same world and setting, but does not follow the storyline as written in the Lord of the Rings. All the content of Middle-Earth: Total War, be it graphical or textual, is fan-created. The Lord of the Rings movies, while inspiring, are not being used as a resource for this mod, no filming footage is being used.

Regards,
    - ME:TW Mod Team

Legal disclaimer: All literary content is property of the Estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. ME:TW-Team in no way claims any content from the publications of J.R.R. Tolkien to be its own.

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

I just downloaded this and had a quick peek, and i was very very very impressed. Fantastic job fella's
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

uhhhh

i copied all the files etc.

but when i go to the custom bit and select 3 era thingy and pick my faction name and florins etc.

when i click Continue nothing happens....

it doesnt stall cos i can and change my name etc. but when i click the next button it just makes a sound and does nothing.

British Army: be the best

Knight Yellow

Are you sure that you installed over Medieval: Total War with the patch 1.1 installed? This mod doesn't work with VI, and I don't think you did, since that would give other errors.

If you copied anything wrong or some files were missing then the game would crash, this is something I've never seen before.Other people have no problem with the mod, so I can only suggest to re-install MTW 1.1 and then the mod.

Cheers, ME:TW - Team

Wow, amazing .

I love to play as the Riders of Rohan attacking Uruks of the White Hand

Can´t wait that we can play at the middle earth map
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast