Thread: Strategy for Kakegawa? (In the historical battle Tokugawa Ieyasu)

I have defeated the enemy in the first battle or two in all of the historical battles I have played (six or so).

However, I cannot get past Kakegawa. I have played that battle literally dozens of times. Here are the main tactics I keep trying, to no avail:

1. I storm the castle right off, kill the enemy general and all of the enemy's archers, get in and set up defensive posistions. I do pretty good defending the castle entrance until the warrior monks (120 x 2 of them) come and slaughter my men.

2. At the beginning, I turn around and attack after getting the archers out of the way. I slaughter those enemy troops, then storm the castle, but by this time the castle is pretty well fortified. I can fight my way in, but the battle takes a heavy toll and the warrior monks come in and slaughter my men.

3. I send all of my troops to the left of the castle (on the hill), and set up defensive posistions. Nobody comes after me, so I have to eventually go down in front of the castle where a large battle ensues, and the warrior monks come up and slaughter my men.

4. I kill the enemy troops behind me, then set up defensive posistion on the field in front of the castle. A battle ensues and I do OK, until again, the warrior monks come in and slaughter my men.

5. I have set up posistion in the forests, doesn't work.

Any tips on what the best strategy is to win this battle? Every other battle that I have played I have won by the second or third game, this one has me stumped. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Heat (edited 04-24-2002).]

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Are you saving arrows for the monks?

If not take your archers off fire at will and then set up on the hill or other defensive position.

Fire the arrows into melee... lose a few of your own guys but kill the monks as quickly as possible, outflank them, come from behind. Just keep pouring missiles into them until they are dead, dead, dead!

------------------
    Victory First, Battle Last
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I send Jesse Jackson (Kensai) into their midst and watch them fall and run like flies.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

It's one of the battles I get a problem with, thought having not played on it for sometime now I have no idea whether the help above will work. The only probs I have is with the Monks and the Naginita, I usually slughter the ones who appear from the back, then the ones in the castle, then the Monks kick my ass for a while, then I kick their asses for a while then the Naginita slughter me or kill Tokugawa

------------------
    Give me your heart, and I'll break it.
    Give me your virginity and I'll lose it.
    Give me your money, and I'll keep it.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

okay i think this is wat u do. the first thing is save ur arrows send a unit in close to the monks to draw them in. then have it charge back to where your archers are waiting to pulverise them with arrows. if it doesnt work then u cant win.
    try using ur yari in loose mode when fightin them too.

I also think that u gotta attack the warrior monks first off before you loose some men tryin to take the castle leave that for last. if that doesnt work write back, ill try the lvl right now and tell u wat i do! okay? PEACE OUT AND VISIT MY TOPIC: REBELS AND RION PLZPLZPLZ I NEED HELP

Well, I finally got by Kakgawa. I destroyed the forces behind me, then set up posistions with the archers and arquebusiers at the front. First one group of 120 monks came at me, I cut them down. Then the naganatas came at me, I cut them down. At that point I couldn't get anybody else to charge me, so I stormed the castle (which still had 120 monks in it), and came out the winner with only ~ 70 men surviving.

The next battle, Mikata Ga Hara, looks like a bear to win. I have only played it a few times and each time kill many more men than I have die, but am just overwhelmed. I have a few more ideas in mind. (I just tried rushing everybody to the forest where some of my troops were hiding, thinking of having them meet up , turn around and from the higher ground set up a defensive posistion, but I lost too many men on the way to that point.