Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Danish

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

yep. I think use it only if you don't already have an heir.

BTW, I have no life so 15 posts a day, meh

you have 10+ a day. I didn't have that many when I had your total. trust me, post count per day goes up as time goes on.

I know, mine goes up by 1/a day every week it seems

I think taking Norway early is a very good idea.

Early rush seems to be my favorite tactic, especially with the Danes. I prefer not to get anything started with HRE though as they never seem to disturb my border and I don't want to extend what i need to defend from them anyways.

This leaves the quickest invasion outside of Scandinavia to be Pomerania. I have found that Poland will already be here if you wait too long and then it will be 3 more years before you can invade another Baltic province. Because of that I like to make the Danish Boat Rush.

Tech straight to longboats.....start with a Keep then shipbuilder. Your first boat is in the water in 15 years. This leaves you quite a bit of time so I always unite Scandinavia. Building a large army can empty the bank fast and you wont be making a ton of money on farms or anything to support an entire empire.

The King only strategy to invade Sweden works for me every time. I turn off auto tax and set it to max to cause rebellions every turn. Keep building up Vikings with a few archers in Denmark and send them in to assist the King in suppressing rebellions. I usually make 500 or so florins a turn from this alone.

Eventually you will have a large army and you may as well invade Norway because you are paying the support costs for the army you have already made and the v1 vikings are great.

From there if you are lucky Pomerania will be rebel still when your first boat hits the water and you wont have to wait 3 more years to start taking the baltic.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheBMeistor @ June 21 2004,07:42)]I think taking Norway early is a very good idea.

Early rush seems to be my favorite tactic, especially with the Danes. I prefer not to get anything started with HRE though as they never seem to disturb my border and I don't want to extend what i need to defend from them anyways.

This leaves the quickest invasion outside of Scandinavia to be Pomerania. I have found that Poland will already be here if you wait too long and then it will be 3 more years before you can invade another Baltic province. Because of that I like to make the Danish Boat Rush.

Tech straight to longboats.....start with a Keep then shipbuilder. Your first boat is in the water in 15 years. This leaves you quite a bit of time so I always unite Scandinavia. Building a large army can empty the bank fast and you wont be making a ton of money on farms or anything to support an entire empire.

The King only strategy to invade Sweden works for me every time. I turn off auto tax and set it to max to cause rebellions every turn. Keep building up Vikings with a few archers in Denmark and send them in to assist the King in suppressing rebellions. I usually make 500 or so florins a turn from this alone.

Eventually you will have a large army and you may as well invade Norway because you are paying the support costs for the army you have already made and the v1 vikings are great.

From there if you are lucky Pomerania will be rebel still when your first boat hits the water and you wont have to wait 3 more years to start taking the baltic.
    Norway offers way too low returns I find

While it is true that Norway offers little in farming and trade, the higher valor Vikings trained there can be used, once Norway is put down, to conquer such places as Flanders. In this way Norway pays it self off with the troops produced there.
    Struggle is pursuit of advantage; once emptiness and fullness are determined, one may struggle with other for advantage.
    Sun Tzu

Quote[/b] (Comtempt @ June 25 2004,06:50)]While it is true that Norway offers little in farming and trade, the higher valor Vikings trained there can be used, once Norway is put down, to conquer such places as Flanders. In this way Norway pays it self off with the troops produced there.
    true, true true, i forgot about, that, I like v1 vikings, whoops the hell out of v0 fmaa, don't forget, with trade there are 3 yes 3 huscarle producing provs

yep, armor is needed though for the viks so on the way to building huscarles, armorer shoudl come before the swordsmith.

as Danes you have no need for FMAA. viks have 4 AP attack which is absolutely amazing. charge them into the rear of some enemy armor and watch in amazement.

Yes Vikings money for money wise beat the crap outta most things that's not on a horse :P .... and at least against the catholics/orthodox factions their's really no ground unit that can seriously beat them badly (men at arms lose due to armor piercing... while they have enough attack and defense to beat most spear units...)

Against muslims though you might have some problem against their low armor high attack units... but generally you should still do ok.... Vikings with Chivaric sergents are a very price effective and reliable ground line that Danes should rely on all game long....

Vikings are one of my fav unit though :P (along with AUM, camels, and some of the turkish units)

huscarles are even better and can maul pretty much anything they can contact with and are amazing. Ever seen even one unit of those flank a battleline?

I saw that battle line literally vaporize as those huscarles tore that army from flank to flank.

vikings are simply the budget version of huscarles.

Quote[/b] (katank @ July 05 2004,10:47)]vikings are simply the budget version of huscarles.
    [QUOTE]

Yes that is true, but for the first forty years or so the Danes don't have a lot of the cash coming in so the budget version, which is basically the same expect weaker can tear through the weaker vanilla spear men and FMAA, and peasants for that matter. In the first couple years the vikings dominate all forms of combat for the land grab and can defeat most anything. I personally find Vikings more useful as they are available in the high and late periods, while the Huscarles are not. They also only need a fort, so newly conquered territory can reform the heavily damaged units. So yes the huscarles ar better units, but once the clock hits 1205, poof While the budget version of huscarles can still be made, and mass produced. Kinda rambled at the end didn't I? Hehehe
    Struggle is pursuit of advantage; once emptiness and fullness are determined, one may struggle with other for advantage.
    Sun Tzu

vikings are also early only.

I don't know what you mean.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

-
    My style offers two ways for Danish domination.

The first is the calm way: Unite Scandinavia/Baltic asap and start building up. Get the strongest navy in the seas. Trade will earn you fortunes, so that you'll be able to buil/tech up easily. Make use of the opportunities such as bribingth rebel provinces in strategically important locations and the victory will be yours with some patience.

The other is the blitzkrieg way: Unite Scandinavia/Baltic asap and get the strongest navy alike. But crash the HRE and Russians ain the first decades and get your feet on the British Isles. Once HRE, England and France are out, the northern half of the map is yours.

_
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Personally you really should not take the HRE early.... it leave you with way too many open borders while the Danes do not get THAT many good generals to afford so many front...

I usually take scandanavia than the province directly under denmark then build up... then take the british isles.... after that I usually just build a lot and maybe go after the novorgods ... the only downside is that goign into the stepps early have one very obvious bad consequences :/... but if ur playing GA you have to go near the stepps anyway... so it really depends on you....

well, don't knock out HRE but taking Saxony is good idea.

British Isles and Flanders would only be 1 additional border and uniting the steppes with Lithuania/Kiev/Georgia would also mean little borders.

To Katank: The Vikings I was referring to are the Vikings available just with a fort. Not the Landsmen or Carls or Huscarales, just plain Vikings. They are available in early, high, and late. I tested this my self by starting 3 games in early, high and late. Vikings (as in the unit), costing 131, were available in each era.
    Sun Tzu

Katank... but taking the stepps before 1230 is always a bit problematic XD... espically when ur the biggest empire .. but then again at least the danes can use arbs unlike turks... still it would be a very long and tiresome fight. (or make that 2 very long and tiresome fight XD)

@ rollingwave, horde battles are fun.

as long as your have your packs of huscarles and loads of arbs, mongols don't stand a chance.

@contempt, I stand corrected, I checked the unit prod file and they are all periods, just the vanilla viks though.

katank got something wrong, impossible

Yeah just Vanilla. They good for flanking heavily armored units in late through, and can be used as reliable cannon fodder because they are so easy to make. Many a time have I use those vanilla Vikings for assaults Castles and such.
    Sun Tzu

v1 vikings aren't THAT much worse than v0 huscals... they have same attack/moral with 1 less charge... (i'm not sure how the defense thing work... it says huscal have 4 def while viking have 1 but viking get a shield bonus of 2... i seem to recall some shield bonus work for both melee and ranged and i'm under the impression that vikings are one of those....)

And they're a **** load cheaper and easier to get anyway.

vanilla viks with v1 have a defence of 1. they have a large shield which provides 2 to armor and defence frontally.

for rear hits etc, there is no bonus.

the huscarle can't use their large shields in melee but the vikings can.

so frontally, v1 viks are only 1 defence off v0 huscarles.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

I'd rather take face a charge from knights with Norwegian Vikings than with feudal sergeants, as I said on another thread.

I'm not a slugfest infantry kind of player, but even I hire every mercenary Viking I can find.They're dirt cheap for what you get.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

really? 3 defence isn't much but I guess its morale is enough.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Quote[/b] (katank @ July 19 2004,16:27)]really? 3 defence isn't much but I guess its morale is enough.
    I should have mentioned that I hire merc vikings when I play Muslim factions. I like to send the vikings in to keep the one good Catholic Chivalric Men at Arms unit occupied while the Ghazis or whatever are getting in position to charge.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

actually I do too.

they are some of the heavier troops that muslims need (with exception of the almos).

when I'm Danes or Nov, spamming them from forts everywhere is ultra effective.

in fact, some strats like beeline for Const. when early Nov, is only doable by virtue of spammable viks from every fort.

Is everyone sure about those Vikings? I'm playing VI 2.01 and I'm in High with the Danes, and cannot train even vanilla Vikings. I started the game in Early, though-perhaps that makes a difference? I used to be able to build them in Early, but not any more..

pretty sure. the unit prod files says they are all eras and booting up a high game I can build them.

I don't know if starting from early makes a difference. they aren't even region restricted.

Default Re: Danish

That's really strange. I 100% cannot build them in High after starting in Early with the Danes. I haven't ever edited the files or anything. Oh well.

have you tried using gnome to look at the unit prod file?

vanilla viks should be buildable.

you are using VI2.01, right?

try starting a high danish campaign yourself and see if you can build em.

I can build vanilla vikings if I start a new game with Danes in High. Odd. Perhaps I was mistaken before, and I could build them in my other game as well. Ah well, never mind. I've since finished the game and moved onto another one, so I can't reload the save or anything. Never mind!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast