Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Egypt

what i ment by sword inf is you cant always flank haha theres always gonna be a moment when your armys gonna be out numbered and have to engage on crappy terrain what i was looking for was a breaking inf ghazis are great im sure but they got slaughtered before doing enough dmg to split the enemy down the middle my tactics are always based around my missle troops on defense on offense its based on the nearest hill hehe

defense: normally line up pavise units if i got em with normal bows behind them so they are protected from annoying HA and still can rain death apon aproaching enemy units while strong charge and attack units line up behind them to run through the archers and hit the enemy while spearmen whack there flanks *note doesnt always work if the enemy has more units then you cant plug up all the holes and looks like al fariz is gonna have to put down his bow and start fighten haha but normally works well with my cavs spread out on my flanks, though i can never line them up for a proper flank without loseing charge bonus

ofense: my worst attribute haha i always aim for back breaking blows i.e. 3 prong ghazi attack through the gaps between spear men while cav charges 2 seconds behind em to hit the speamen when they turn to attack ghazis rear while my ranged units pepper there range units in hope of distracting them from pouring shafts into the melee also this plan NEVER WORKS its just a fantasy of my men listening to me and the AI doing stupid stuff my ghazis always get intercepted and just stand there fighting the front line in melee while cavs attempt to get around or sit there and get peppered by there 4+ units of ranged units which comp always seems to have my flanking units are always hit with cav and prolonged battle starts with normally high loss's 300 is acceptable to me hehe

also the aby upkeep... i have 1,286,834 florins year is 1364 hehe TRADE BABY TRADE thats what i focused on in early game before i wiped out enough factions to be on hate list of whole world hehe cept for my lovely danes who protect my northen provenices hehe if you keep the byzs alive and an ally antioch can make alotta money from trade clocked mine with top trade improvments and fleet that spanned all the seas cept for a few which i dident need(bastid spanish decided i to fight back when i wanted to place my summer palace in castille)
    500 golden armored units average of 4 valor morale +3 discipline +1 vs 24 katanks 6 valor who do you think will win?

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

ok, muslims units are whole different flavor.

I love HAs and find them an essential part of any muslim army I field.

believe it or not, even if they don't respond at first, they eventually do break ranks after 5-6 volleys and come chasing after you.

when there's enough space, put a HA between their main army and that unit.

by that time, that unit is doomed.

I just drag it away further and have 3-5 HAs in a circle surrounding it shooting and when it charges at one, I back that off.

I can safely do that as all my other HAs are precoocpuying the rest of the enemy army.

after that unit is down to about 1/4 strength, charge from all sides and that unit should die in instant attempted rout.

@arghy, there's no back breaking frontal attack for muslims as you learned the hard way.

maybe the turks can use the JHI to launch such an attack but eggy, no.

just use your missiles to their fullest and make the battles as long as possible.

even out of the desert, my troops are usually less armored and fatigue less than the enemy running around.

in the desert, the effect is even more pronounced.

I often maneuver until the half way point in a offensive battle until launching a real attack and never stop in a defensive one

this allows for fatigue to wear the enemy down and also your missiles to do their job.

watch for opportunity and maneuver.

playing muslim factions in later eras is far more interesting tactically than catholics.

If you really don't want to use HAs and they have an inf heavy army that has decent missile cover but little heavy cav, may I recommend pumped up Saharans?

I find v2 saharans with some armor to be my medium cav of choice and they can actually rival ghulams with superior speed tipping things in their favor.

runa around with them until your get the enemy to spread out by feigning charges etc. and eventually you'll be able to pick off a few inadequately protected archers or charge into a vulnerable flank.

If you REALLY need to charge spears head on as eggies then abyssians aer probably ur best (though rather CAMEL TURKISH GOLD) choice...

If you really want to use swords while being a muslim... play elmos... they have by far the best swords in early and it's pretty much the most overall useful/efficient sword unit in the entire game (AUMs of course) the once from granada are better than FMAA and actuarlly around the same as CMAA but cheaper... and with lesser build req and being acquired earlier it's not hard to squeeze more bonus stuff on them...

Eggies are probably the worest muslim faction in early though:/ they get no special units in early while both turk and elmos get some really awsome once... and if you can't take syria ur gonig NOWHERE... in fact if you can't take syria right away I hardly see how you can survive even against that rather dumb AI with ur thin line and horrible infrastructure... while having 4 outta 6 province that's either tagged on everyone's jihad/crusade list and/or is a rich almost undefended lamb.

They are probably best in high ....
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 09-16-2006 at 14:42.

the difficulty rating is way skewed. I have no idea why CA classified turks as hard while eggy are easy.

the eggy have to sack syria right away and then push on to destroy the turks but getting pushed into instant conflict with Byz isn't great.

eggy are less suited to fighting byz than turks due to lack of early HA.

they are sitting ducks.

Turks, on the other hand, have the kidnap sultan trick I posted in guides section and other nice strategic strikes like into trebizond and straight for Const.

i have just taken khazar from the GH believe me it wasent easy my glorious army 5000 strong was pushed back many times but once taken i have some of thos wonderful hv steppy cav hehe while weak with arrows they are strong in melee i've started useing my turk tactics hehe multiple HA asaulting from all sides while bulk of my army does useless manuvers distracting the AI hehe i have made great progress with this no matter how elite they are they will route if you caused them to split there formation many times then charge in tightly packed

mostly i've been haveing problems with enemy archers you have to watch your HA and make sure they dont couple together loose formation works well though they are still big targets hehe any way to counter this? no matter how many HAs i have the enemy alwats has more archers so i end up taking more loses then i inflict

also a good unit to help in battles is the serpentine hehe i have justed used it 3 times in battle it has GREAT range smashing enemy units and even killing kings and generals
    500 golden armored units average of 4 valor morale +3 discipline +1 vs 24 katanks 6 valor who do you think will win?

never fight archers using HAs.

instead, shoot at some inf on an extreme flank and the AI will either have that unit chase you or bring archers to support that unit.

then, use your mobility to run to the other extreme flank and shoot at your leisure since those archers are a lot slower than your HAs.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

EARLY ERA EGYPTIANS

1. Opening moves
    Invade Syria on the first turn with everything you can, leaving garrisons in only Antioch and Egypt.
    After that, many players wipe out the Turks immediately. I garrison Antioch and Syria and wait a turn or two. There is a good chance the Turks will offer a ceasefire and then get into a war with the Byzantines. Then you can attack again and wipe them out with less trouble.

2. Units to train
    Desert archers will help you defeat Turkish horse archers, and are a good unit throughout the early era.
    Bedouin camels are not fast enough to make an ideal counter to horse archers. However, they will destroy bodyguard knights. Bedouin Camel Warriors also tend to be good generals and governors. Egypt gets a discount on camels, too.
    Nubian spears are a good early unit, excellent for garrisons, but watch their loyalty.

3. Early building
    Every province on the Middle Eastern coastline except the Sinai is a glorious achievement goal for someone's Crusade. Therefore, the first order of business is to get the facilities to make dhows, and then build two. One should cover the Nile Coast and the other the Eastern Mediterranean. This cuts off direct invasion by sea.
    The second order of business is to get a spear-maker’s workshop somewhere to make Saracen Infantry. The combination of those and desert archers are extremely effective on the rabble in the first wave of Crusades.
    Use Armenia to produce Armenian Heavy Cavalry with a bonus. Build up Syria for their assassins. The two-star bonus there makes these assassins extremely effective.

4. The Navy
    Extend your navy northward, through the Black Sea. This prevents a back door Crusader landing in Georgia. Then go to the Ionian Sea and up into the Adriatic. This trade route is not dependent on the Byzantines. Antioch is a money tree once a trade network comes to life. Tripoli and Egypt are rich, too.
    If you are not at war with the Byzantines by now, start one. Always keep the most important goal in mind: Constantinople. Constantinople’s developed fortress is the key to getting a Grand Mosque for Imans and Nizari. I always build the Grand Mosque there, even though the glorious achievement goals want it built in Egypt. Be sure to take Georgia and fortify it, of course.
    Now you have a very nice empire, defended with three land chokepoints: Constantinople, Georgia and Egypt. Expand along the North African coast at the expense of the Almohads. You can push all the way to Cordoba and still end up at a single chokepoint.

5. Crusades
    War with Crusades is constant. You should have enough trade wealth to afford plenty of troops, though. Most of the early Crusades will consist of rabble such as fanatics and other unarmored units. These are very vulnerable to desert archers.
    The movement programming of the Crusades means that French, English and German ones must keep trying to march through Constantinople if you push other factions far enough back in North Africa. The option of a Crusade landing in Cyrencia, for instance, will not exist as long as you own Cyrencia and have fleets to defend it. The Spanish could Crusade through North Africa, so keep a sizable army there.
    Your goal is not to beat Crusades in a fair fight, not unless the odds are extremely favorable. Your goal is to corner them and have them die slowly. The enemy faction cannot launch another Crusade while its first one is dying, not unless the Pope gives a special call.
    If you own Constantinople, you simply block Crusades with a large army. If your are not in Constantinople yet, the goal is to keep your armies in front of the Crusaders and to block them, keeping the restrictive movement rules for Crusades in mind.

6. Jihads
    Build a ribat, which provides a good morale boost, and a Jihad in every province. Jihads are very effective, particularly in rebellions and civil wars.
    That gets us out of the Early Era. Keep fortifying Georgia during this time, for the Golden Horde is coming. Also, build with Faris and Mamelukes in mind.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

suggestions: wipe out Turks ASAP.

then, use inn in Palestine for some mercs and strike at Const. through Trebizond.

hit the Byz very early as every turn you delay, you risk having another deadly Byz inf coming out.

Isolate the emperor in either Bulgaria/Greece, Anatolia/Nicea/Lesser Armenia, Georgia/Khazar/Crimea and try to ransom him.

My best time ever was him getting ransomed from bulgaria/greece to Georgia and from there to Crimea, which they invaded even while I was pushing them hard in Const.

Khazar was still rebel.

I bribed Khazar from the ransom moola and hit Crimea and got him into Asia Minor and ended with him ransomed off into the islands.

that's a whole 4 times and he was worth 11k each time. Combined with a push from Syria to Rum and hit of Armenia, I had a total of 5 ransoms of royals and this helped my treasury and subsequent development greatly.

I used Const. to build a quick fleets and sank the Byz ones and made him my captive trading partner.

I modded in non-unique grand mosques and thus could spam Imams and Nizaris quickly from Const. while also building one in Egypt to satisfy the GA goal and another one in Syria to take advantage of valo bonus for Nizaris.

To complement Doug's units:

Armenian Heavy Cavalry, otherwise known as AHC, best heavy cav for you early on. With master horse in Armenia, they have are v2, giving them 5 attack, 6 defense which is better than vanilla chivalric knights. This is doable in 22 years starting from scratch. Add some armor and these boys will chew up any thing. Chivalrics in early

Ghulam Cavalry: what not to build. Lesser Armenia has a valor bonus for those but why bother? they are worse than AHC in stats, take longer to build to get to v2, and cost more upkeep which makes them more expensive in the long run.

Kwarzimian Cav: same story. this one can't even get to v2 due to reqs for master spear and master horse as well as no region bonuses. it costs more out of the box and far more upkeep. So why bother when you have AHC?

Ghazis: great when you get them from Const. since you can get silver armor for them. mosque is necessary for Grand mosque and sword and armor you should capture intact. crank some out and be amazed that some actually survive

Nizaris: awesome missile unit capable of outdueling just about any missiles except for turcoman foot but the turks are dead so they are the best shooters now. They also have 7 charge and 6 attack which makes for highest attack of any unit and a killer charge. charge into some flanks or rear for an instant rout

Saracens: crank them mucho as they are equivalents of chiv sarges except available in early and lower reqs. use them as your spear wall for pinning while ghazis flank.

my typical army for eggy out of desert consists of saracens, ghazis, AHC, and DAs (later on Nizaris).

for the deserts, nubians/muwahids, ghazis, buffed saharan cav, DAs or Nizaris.

Good stuff as usual Doug and Katank

I have made the experience that Eggy is actually able to outcav the horde using hordes of Camels.
    Back them up with AHC for Archer chasing (GH foots Archers read poetry to Camels) and you can have a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 08-25-2006 at 01:52.

eeek, it's a bit difficult. the horse archers can make mincemeat of you and some of the horde freaks are none too bad either cough*mhc* they aren't that great but they can have thousands of them.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mightypeon @ June 28 2004,10:58)]I have made the experience that Eggy is actually able to outcav the horde using hordes of Camels.
    I've done this and it is a lot of fun, but man it was a bloody battle. I didn't face the full force of the horde, either. They invaded Syria and I was ready for them. The desert terrain and some timely sandstorms -- which hurt their HA and Mongol Warriors -- came in handy.

The morale of my camels teetered on the brink of rout the whole time. If I'd lost a general, or had a lower-valor one, I'd have lost.

Now I prefer to fight the horde with some 2-valor Mameluke cavalry from Egypt and 2-valor Mameluke HA from the Sinai. Throw in some silver-plated Nizari from Constantinople and the highest-valor camels available.

2V Mam cav trumps Golden Horde HC
    2V Mam HA trumps GH-HA (although the horde's HA are faster.)
    Nizari are faster than GH Warriors and can run them down.

you're still outnumbered usually, doug

Quote[/b] (ah_dut @ June 29 2004,09:29)]you're still outnumbered usually, doug
    Only if you take the full force of the Golden Horde in the opening move. I never do. Fighting huge battles with the horde is fun -- such huge battles are the reason for playing this game for many people. However, I never fight fair. Fight no battle you are not certain of winning, as Mao put it.

I put a fortress in Georgia and fill it with desert archers who have been replaced by Nizari in my field armies. The Horde passes me by and attacks my enemies in Russia, most times.

The combination of control of the sea, multiple Jihads, bonused Mamelukes and droves of 4- and 5-star Syrian assassins gives the horde quite a welcome when they come to Georgia.

Quote[/b] (Doug-Thompson @ June 29 2004,11:04)]
    Quote[/b] (ah_dut @ June 29 2004,09:29)]you're still outnumbered usually, doug
    Only if you take the full force of the Golden Horde in the opening move. I never do. Fighting huge battles with the horde is fun -- such huge battles are the reason for playing this game for many people. However, I never fight fair. Fight no battle you are not certain of winning, as Mao put it.

I put a fortress in Georgia and fill it with desert archers who have been replaced by Nizari in my field armies. The Horde passes me by and attacks my enemies in Russia, most times.

The combination of control of the sea, multiple Jihads, bonused Mamelukes and droves of 4- and 5-star Syrian assassins gives the horde quite a welcome when they come to Georgia.

damn why are you people always right?

After you beat them repeatedly in straight fights which is usually actually castle defense or bridge defense, you'll probably end up wanting to have a little fun like jihad spam (outnumbering them) or agents since fighting it out wouldn't be that much fun any more.

Once, I cranked jihad markers for about 50 years in Const.

Quote[/b] (katank @ July 02 2004,16:08)]After you beat them repeatedly in straight fights which is usually actually castle defense or bridge defense, you'll probably end up wanting to have a little fun like jihad spam (outnumbering them) or agents since fighting it out wouldn't be that much fun any more.

aah.. the old jihad spam trick...

Quote[/b] (ah_dut @ July 06 2004,16:33)]
    Quote[/b] (katank @ July 02 2004,16:08)]After you beat them repeatedly in straight fights which is usually actually castle defense or bridge defense, you'll probably end up wanting to have a little fun like jihad spam (outnumbering them) or agents since fighting it out wouldn't be that much fun any more.

aah.. the old jihad spam trick...
    Jihad spamming makes a well-handled Muslim faction virtually unbeatable by the early 1200's.

ever so true.

but what if an earthquake or something destroys the ribat?

I was so glad to vanquish the mongols without the earthquake thing happening.

cheap? perhaps. effective? hell yeah

massed jihads can pound Mongols, Papal resuregences etc. all to a pulp.

Just do what everyone else do and mass arby and hide behind a hoard of spears :P .........

seriously though... fighting the mongols with the turks without using jihad spam is probably the hardest due to no arbs (and that they are very likely to land in armenia... a province you can't give up)... you have serious problem with their reinforcement as your raerly able to keep ur arrows going for that long .... several time i had to hide in the trees letting them pound me with endless arrows and fight off the occasional heavy cav charge and wait till the timer ran out... those were... tt.... but prbably closer to a real challange and real battle....

If you want some real fun... fight them in a non/bridge/desert map and do it with no archers and just mass infantry things like abyssian guards and maybe some saracen or nerubian spears:P hide in the trees forever and pray ur moral doesn't break.....

that's suicide.

mass arb in front of armored saracens who'll cover their ass from MHC.

that's the way to go.

shoot em all down in cold blood.

some nizaris can also be good for pure missile dueling and then flanking.

yay 2000th post

It can work katank :P (espically in armenia where u can find a high ground advantanage AND woods) just that u'll surely take huge casulaties and u'll have to constantly deal with ur own urge to charge out of the woods and die a horrible death :P between the high ground and the woods horse archer's don't do THAT much damage to you (and you could go into loose formation..) .... and in the woods heavy cavs are considerablly less effective so a mix of spear and anti armor guys will slaughter them...

However.. having to pay constant attention and watch for heavy cav rush for 120 min or more while they rain death on you is ..... errrrr......... challengin... XD

I would just go insane.

I often arrange my battle lines for the perfect tactical maneuvers and when seeing the vacillating little AI prance around like an idiot, impulsively charge my entire army at them.

looks suicidal but I usually win those just not with the kill ratios I'd like.

The Egyptians get a 25-percent discount on Bedouins. They're 94 florins for a 40-man unit. Also, Egypt starts will all the Bedouin-producing provinces: Egypt, Arabia and the Siani.

The point about boosting their morale is very true. Use them often and keep any who get valor, too. High-valor camels are priceless throughout the game.

I think Syria can also produce them

Quote[/b] (katank @ July 09 2004,16:02)]I think Syria can also produce them
    Oops. You are correct. And Syria.

I tried abyssian guards a bit more today.... they are pretty decent acturally if you don't consider their rigged upkeep..... their damage is slightly less than ghazi on paper but since more of them would be likely to be acturally alive and wacking the difference is minimal while they do survive MUCH MUCH better than ghazi.... (4 point difference in defense does add up to a lot....) i had a pack of mongol heavy cav charged into the back of one group of my abyssian (although i send some spear to help him out within a few seconds....) i was still quiet surprised that the abyssian only lost about 2 guys from the charge.... (they had silver armor though i think)

Another note.... fighting the hoard is ridiculasly frustrating when it's 2000 men vs 3000 things like that -_-.... i had 3000 land in georgia and armenia (i purposely let the byz have the stepps so i don't have to take the full blunt) but stil... the fight in georgia went on for a whole freaken hour if not more (well i pause a lot yes... but if u don't do that vs so many horse archer/heavy cav ur formation will break real fast....) then i realize i have ANOTHER such fight in armenia and just decided to auto solve (good thing it was lead by a 8 star 9 dread general there :P :P :P)

their charge and attack are both weaker than ghazis.

I frankly use ghazis to flank.

if you ask the unit to get charged in the rear, ghazis aren't for you.

ghazis are more powerful but require better tactics.

My first ever encounter with the horde was with the turks, in Armenia. By then i had half a dozen of JHI, and Saracens. I had to keep them in the woods at all times but i did won that battle. Abyssinian guards might pull it off, i imagine, in bigger numbers and with even more casualties.

On the other hand, as turk i had no arbs...

But i never did an Egypt campaign. My next project, thats why i'm browsing around here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast