Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall of Rome - Total War

Smile

Hi all.

I've decided to begin this discussion to give people the possibility of make discussions, analisys, and to report bugs of Fall of Rome MTW mod.

Current version of the mod is 2.0, now i've upload, in the upload section, the 2.1 version ... why 2.1 version and not 3.0? Because the changes made aren't very extensive, there aren't graphic changes for instance, but only some changes in the scripts of the game.

The 3.0 version will contain some new graphic features.

What are the main features of this version?

1. Some bugs resolved, some people report me that the game was rather unstable, this version should be more stable than the previous (i hope so ).
    2. Sahara now is not playable.
    3. There are two small new techtree for German Kingdoms/Catholic and Nomad tribes/Pagan. Basically in MTW the techtree is based on 4 main tech level, these two techtree are developed in the first.
    4. The two old campaign (430ad and Justinian era) have been revised, the game now should be more historically accurate, besides playing with the Romans is more difficult.
    5. There is a new campaign starting in 374ad, before the collapsing of the Western Empire.
    6. There are two new factions, the Romano-British (England) and the Bosphoran Kingdom (Crimea), that should be more funny to play instead of the Slavs and Russians.
    6. There are some new units in addition to the older ones:

Sassanian infantry
    Sarmatian infantry
    Bosphoran spearmen
    Bosphoran-Scythian Royal Cavalry
    Romano-British Royal knights
    7. G.A. are not available.

Besides thanks to Hross af Guttenburg the game now has the correct faction descriptions, the game introduction, and most of the country names.
    Thankyou very much Hross

Install instructions for FALL OF ROME 2.1

1. Install Fall of Rome 2.0 in a fresh fresh installation of MTW - Viking Invasion (patch 2.0)

2. In your installed F.o.R. 2.0 delete the:

\campmap\startpos\Early430Orthodox.txt
    \campmap\startpos\EarlyJustinian527b2.txt files

3. Copy the following files in your: \campmap\startpos\ folder:

Early374Orthodox.txt
    Early430Orthodox3.txt
    EarlyJustinian527b2.txt

4. Copy the following files in your: Medieval Total War\Loc\your language folder:

changes.txt
    default_faction_specific.txt
    default_region_specific.txt
    Descriptions.txt
    names.txt
    starpos.txt
    variables.txt

5. Copy the following files in your main MTW folder:

CRUSADER_UNIT_PROD11.txt
    Crusader_build_prod13.txt
    Projectilestats.txt

Cheers Max

The new 374ad campaign

-----------------------edit by drone----------------------------------
    Updated links for now...
    FallofRome_v3.1_Pericles.zip
    FoR_3.1.exe
    Fall_of_Rome_3.0-3.1-_Total_War.zip
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by drone; 08-23-2011 at 04:41. Reason: added updated link

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Looks very nice, when can it be availiable for download?

I will try this one for sure.

CZoF

BKB.

it is already available for download, in the full version direct downloads area of the .org.

please before installing Fall of Rome 2.1, install 2.0 version.

Excellent work MDM

I have some office titles for you. You can have mupltiple titles associated to the same building, so you can use Dux for most of the provincial titles.

Western Romans:

AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Italiae +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Galliarum +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Italiae +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Africae +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Britaniarum +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN marshals_palace Magister Peditum Praesentalis +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN marshals_palace Magister Equitum Praesentalis +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN marshals_palace Magister Equitum per Gallias +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN chancellery Comes Sacrarum Largitionum +3 1 0 1 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN admiralty Praefectus Classis Ravennas +1 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_ITALIAN cathedral Patriarch of Aquileia 0 2 0 0 3 0 0

Eastern Romans:

AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Orientis +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE royal_palace Praefectus Praetorio Illyrici +2 +2 0 0 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Aegypti +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE constables_palace Comes Rei Militaris Isauriae +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE marshals_palace Magister Militum per Orientem +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE marshals_palace Magister Militum per Thracias +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE marshals_palace Magister Militum per Illyricum +2 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE chancellery Comes Sacrarum Largitionum +3 1 0 1 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE admiralty Praefectus Classis Augusta Alexandrina +1 0 0 2 0 0 0
    AddOffice:: FN_BYZANTINE cathedral Patriarch of Constantinople 0 2 0 0 3 0 0

These would be in use prior to the institution of the Themes. (Up to Maurikian Byzantines)

I have two campaigns going right now. In the first (527), Belisarius just took the Exarchate of Africa from the Vandals. In the second (374), the Franks attacked Belgica II on the first turn My Limitanei had a tough time holding them back, but they were successful for now.

The realistic provincial names are a great touch. You should think about changing the names on the Strategic map.

I have to admit, I do miss the old info pics, so I copied them in from the old version.

The half barding is also an excellent addition as well.

I can't wait to try the Lombard Gasindii and Farae

Thanks again

Hi Sicilian Vespers.

Thanks for the Office titles, i think that maybe i'll put them in Fall of Rome 3.0 campaign. About the names of the Provinces i think that A_B is working on a modified strategic map, it is a really great work

Sorry but i couldn't put the old info_pics in this version cause copyright, but i made new info_pics for my personal use, so you can make same thing i think.

max

Will the new map be in version 3.0?

I have already started making new info_pics, in addition to the originals.

The Romano-British are also a good addition. I will have to try them out soon.

yes i think so, also there will be new animated .bif for Roman infantry, i've alredy made the new Auxilia palatina (i'll upload an image asap ..)and the Lanciarii.

Besides i think that there will be a new .bif for Roman heavy infantry (Legions) with new units ( the Domestici and the Praetorians), a new campaign starting in 310ad with Constantine the Great and Maxentius factions.

.. and maybe some economical changes ...

max

Sounds excellent, I am looking forward to version 3

You probably know this already, but since you are making new animated bifs, I thought I would make a suggestion.

From the 4th century on the Romans should be wearing scale and chain mail armor.

The old Lorica Segmentata went out of use before 300 AD, if I am not mistaken.

Do you have the shield for the Herculiani in the game? it would also make a good addition.

Yes i know the lorica segmentata was used until the 3rd century, so the new heavy infantry will have mail armour (i'm making some tests...).

I don't know if there will be the Herculiani shield in the game, but actually i have made the Ioviani, the Brachati, the Secunda Britannica, the Lanciarii Sabarienses, the Domestici, the Celtae seniores and the Cornacenses shields (puff..).

I'll upload tomorrow a .jpg file of the new Auxilia Palatina.

cheers

max

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 19 2004,05:50)]About the names of the Provinces i think that A_B is working on a modified strategic map, it is a really great work
    I gotta finish the map up, although it is 75% done.

I got distracted with BKB's mod, so blame him...

By the way, it is a good thing to have extra factions in (as BKB did). They make the game harder than just having Rebels, because if you eliminate a faction, they Respawn with a lot of units, which is a better representation of a large rebellion/invasion. They also make provinces harder to capture, because they end up with a ton of quality Royal units. If you decide not to invade because of all the royal units, then they'll attack you as soon as your defences are down. All in all, much better than rebel areas, even if the factions arene't really meant to be played.

Some great areas for non-playable factions would be to the South of Egypt, and South of Morroco (africa on the current campaign map). This way, you can trade, or invade, but the price will be heavy.

A_B.

Great news 75% of the strat map finished. ALL the campaigns should be rewritten, it will be a long work i think ...

anyway these are the new auxilia palatina with the Cornuti Seniores regiment shield...

max

Member Member Braccius Augustus's Avatar

seems to be a problem with the mod download:
    according to the readme I am missing these files
    Fall_of_Rome20_Infopics_reviewpanel
    Fall_of_Rome20PortraitsPaganPrincess2
    when i select certain units in the game i get an error saying there are no unit icons in mtw/campmap/reviewpanel/units
    Maybe the download messed up or something. I'll try it again, but just wanted to let you know.
    "Read over and over again the campaigns of Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, Gustavus, Turenne, Eugene and Frederic. ... This is the only way to become a great general and master the secrets of the art of war. ..."
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte

Downloaded it, love it, really fun. I was so happy when i battered the Bulgars as the Western Empire, who have been rampaging through italy bent on mercilous destruction

Max,
    Sorry if I insulted you with the Lorica comment, it was not my intention.

The Auxilia Palatina look excellent I was hoping you would use that shield.

A_B,
    The Picts would also be a good minor faction to add. They would keep Ambrosius Aurelianus and Artorius busy in Brittania.

Braccius Augustus.

What are the units that cause problems? Have you tried to download the single Fall of Rome .zip file from the Org? In this file there are all the Infopics and rewiev panel files.

BKB.

thanks, i am happy to see that the mod is funny have you any suggestions for Fall of Rome 3.0?

Sicilian Vespers.

Oh my god no problem for me really.
    The Picts could be another funny faction, besides i will upload an Auxilia Palatina image with the Celtae Seniores regiment shield, so you will be able to choose the definitive unit between the two ones.

Ok mates?

max

I'd give the Arabs a few more units in Justinian period to make a real bitch for the Byzantines. I'm at war with 4 factions at the moment: Persians, Arabs and is it Ostrogoths in Italy? Now the Vandals have invaded and i'm going to have to kick there ass

Like what you did to the Katapharct with the red horse neck covering, cool

Max,
    Do you know what Ostrogothic Saiones were? I think they were heavy cavalry, something like the Lombard Gasindii perhaps.

I have a few other unit names for you:

Visigothic Buccellarii Cavalry = Visigothic Heavy Cavalry
    Visigothic Gardingi Cavalry = Light cav, Javelins

I'm not 100% sure about this one, but possibly:

Ostrogothic Saiones Cavalry = Ostrogothic Royal Cavalry

BKB.

Ok I see, I'll give the arabs a few more units in the next version... yes in italy there are the Ostrogoths..

.. the Half-armoured horse were used by Persian and Byzantine in that era.

Sicilian Vespers.

I don't know Saiones and Gardingi units, so i'll make some research...

thanks

Member Member Braccius Augustus's Avatar

Downloaded the file again and it worked Must have been a problem with my connection before.

It's great that you included Roman-Britain with the real Arthur and also can't wait to recapture Rome as Belisarius

Thanks
    "Read over and over again the campaigns of Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, Gustavus, Turenne, Eugene and Frederic. ... This is the only way to become a great general and master the secrets of the art of war. ..."
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte

Hi Maximus.
    Could you change colour of Romans? Its hard to estimate menpower of the army.
    Another suggestions, give Rome to Roman hands and South England to Celts (or who lived there).
    Could you make mercenaries who serve Roman, look like Roman but fight like barbarians and have low loyalty and serve as expendive disloyal replacement of Roman legions? Rome has fallen because those mercenaries emerged own leader as Roman king and ended agony of West-Roman Empire. Is it possible to enable possibility win as West-Roman without war against Bzyantine (East-roman)? They actually acted one against the other but weren´t in war.
    It would be honor and pleasure to help you in this task, but my skills are limited and as are Hollidays approaching I won´t be able to be onlińe alot.
    Bye

Ave Caesar Imperato, Morituri te salutant.

My primary task will be to keep West-Roman alive and kick ass those germanic, vandal and other barbarian tribes with good measure.

More unit names....

Gesithas (Singular Gesith)- Germanic royal bodyguards or companions of Kings or Nobles. Same root as Lombard Gasindii. Probably either foot or cavalry depending on the tribe.

For Anglo-Saxons you can use either Gesith or Thegn.

Braccius Augustus.

Ok I'm happy for you

Sicilian Vespers.

Thanks, i'll change the Royal german unit names with Gesithas and Gesith, for the Anglo Saxons i'll use Thegn (plural is the same as singular?).

SpetzNatz.

Have you downloaded the last (2.1) version? cause i made Romans red and white in 2.1 so you can see the manpower of the army on the strategic map.
    I don't know if is it possible to make some regular unit more or less disloyal for the ruler, indeed the game have already the possibility to raise mercenaries, and they were disloyal (at the beginning at least ), but anyway i'll try to make something .... it isn't possible to prevent the two roman faction from acting one against the other. sorry.

Anyone is interested to help me making some graphic work? I 'd like to put in the game a new animated .bif file for the Sassanian Cavalry with half barded horses (metallic armours).

Strength and honour mates

You have made a great mod there MDM. Playing as the West in the Twilight of the eagles period is really tough. Disloyal generals, revolts and invasions and that is just after the second turn

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (maximus decimus meridius @ April 20 2004,18:28)]Thanks, i'll change the Royal german unit names with Gesithas and Gesith, for the Anglo Saxons i'll use Thegn (plural is the same as singular?).
    I believe the plural is Thegns.

I'm your man. Completely.
    But it isn't as simple as it could seem. I, as university student, now have to do lots of tests and afther this I wont be able to be online a lot, but I've downloaded page from forum about modmaking, so I'll be able to work independently on tasks for you and I'll visit this forum sometimes to see progress. Could you estimate size of your mods in future (I'll be able to connect only via moden)?
    You are correct I have v2.0. Sorry to disturb with this.
    My idea is, to increase numbers and quality of enemies of Rome (because Romans had to deal with many enemies, who were far to be poor willagers) and to make some mercenaries to look like Roman Legionaries but fight like barbarians (only poorly organized and therefore vulnerable to cavalry) and replace with them Roman Legions, so player will have to deal with numerous enemies and disloyalty as well as lack of funds and good soldiers (and will have to build high level buildings to be able to train Standard Roman Legions rather than hiring enemies as soldiers - this will reflect the fact that Romans weren't willing to serve in army). And even though, Legions should be trainable only in Italy, some Gaul provinces and maybe in Spain but absolutely not in England and number of these provinces should be limited to about dozen.
    I know that it sounds like dream of masochist, but it will show that position of Rome was extremely difficult. Because I've found your game quite easy. Yes, I've had to retreat from several provinces, but I've stabilized this situation quite early and annihiated Visigoths (I'm uncertain with name, but I'm sure they were green) and Franks at same time while I was in war with Suebi, Vandals, Ostrogoths and Germans. Auxilia Palatina (weren't they auxiliary force only?) are too good to have them so early and others as well
    Another suggestion is, to replace Mongols with Huns and make them numerous. I don't know when thir raids begun, so when it isn't suitable for that era, just forfeit this suggestion.
    For Byzantines, I have idea. They shoul be using the same units as Ronams and those Kataphraktoi and other units could be available after reform of the army.
    This could be done like construction of building with name Military reform. But I'm not sure if it is possible to make such building which would be buildable only once and in only one province (this is possible as far as I know) and construction of this building would make available new units for whole empire (this is probably impossible). This idea is hard to express, so if you won't understend (I won't wonder), just ask me.
    at the end of the text I wont to say, that I didn't write whis with intention to insult someone, but to offer my knowledge, because I like this mod (as well as BKB's, Medmod....) and want to help in it's development.

BKB.

THanks but i think that it will be further improvements, probably the game is too easy after the first turns. For example i have tried to give the german kingdoms the possibility to make crusades/barbarian invasions, but it doesn't work properly

Sicilian Vespers.

Thanks mate, i will try to put some of your suggestions in the game.

SpetzNaz.

Ok. I think that you can work alone, there is not the necessity to stay connected every days, so if you want to make the Persian cavalry, i'll put your new .bif files in the game. i think that we can talk about the graphic problems if you need something ... in my opinion the best source are the Osprey books, do you know them?
    About the other things, you are right, your idea to make buildable certain roman units in certain provinces is good, (i've thought something like this in the past...) i will make some tests.
    About the roman barbarian units, well, it isn't possible to make a unit type more or less loyal, i think that this feature of the game is hardcoded....

Besides the game is not in the final version, so i can make some other changes to make it more realistic.

About the Byz units, yes it true the Byz. units in the game are those of the Justinian or thematic era, i can modify this aspect of the game, surely.

i think that it will be other discussion about these aspects of the mod, isn't it?

p.s. the Mongols are the Khazars and the Bulgars area the huns in the mod.

anyway mates .. what do you prefer as Auxilia Palatina?

These are the Cornuti Seniores regiment

and these are the Celtae Seniores regiment (the shield have two dragons..)

please vote

Hi,
    I'm new in modding but I'm skilled in drawing, so I can help you to make some new units with plaesure. Send data to v.pelcak@post.cz . This can serve as contact t me (if I don't count this forum), but keep in mind that I can't be on-line in weekends and Hollidays (but sometimes I will).
    I'd prefer web pages as source of informations because I'm Czech and therefore it's hard to obtain tose Osprey books (or at least very expensive).
    About modding, if I'll alter only those bif file *_H.bif and *.bif or *.lbm, will it be enough?
    About those roman barbarian units. I thought it like making mercenary unit looking like Legionaries, but weaker, expensive and because it will be mercenary it will have low loyalty and high upkeep cost.
    Is it possible to make building whose after finished costruction will affect all provinces of the empire?
    Where I can download that patch. I didn't find it neither in mizus nor in 3ddownloads. Could you paste dll link here?
    Thanx.

About Auxilia Palatina, both pictures are cool, but shouldn't they have larger shields?

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast