Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wheel of Time Mod

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Don't put down the guys working on METW

They're much better modders than me...

Remember that I'm still stuck on unit graphics so at this rate this mod may turn out as a disaster.

Hi, I'm glad to see your doing this - WoT really seems to fit well into Total War, and you really seem to have come up with some good stuff. The screenies look great.

One or two things. (three actually)

You've said you can't implement travelling, but I've come up with an idea that might work, though it's not perfect. It would basically be like transporting you're armies by ship in the normal game.
    First you set up a dummy sea region that is not shown on the map, but is connected to every province in the startpos files. Then you place a ship belonging to Rand's faction in it.
    The only problem that I can see is that you would need a port in every province for it to work. You could, if necessary, give Rand a port building that cost's nothing and only takes a turn, or something, but you'd still have each province trying to show a port. I don't know enough about the lukmap files to know if there's a way around this, or even if the concept would work at all, but I thought I'd see what you think.

You put Grey(Gray) Men in as battlefield units for the shadow. I don't know if you're including these with a bit of artistic license, but in the books they don't really come across as warriors. I think they would work better as agents, as you said in you're original post.

You might already have thought of this, but you have'nt mentioned it that I've seen. You said somewhere that Whitecloaks would be like Order Knights. I was wondering if you were going to allow Whitecloaks to crusade. This would seem to fit much better with what they do in the books, rather than having them invading their neighbours.

I'd like to help with the bif files, but you did specify skilled . I've never been an artist. My sole venture into the unit bifs has been to make a light sabre .

Keep up the good work,
    Schrodie's Cat.
    Freedom is where your entitlements are fundamental and your restrictions are trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Schrodinger's Cat @ May 12 2004,15:23)] You put Grey(Gray) Men in as battlefield units for the shadow. I don't know if you're including these with a bit of artistic license, but in the books they don't really come across as warriors. I think they would work better as agents, as you said in you're original post.
    Grey men will be availiable as an agent (really good assasin) or a battlefield unit. I suppose it is a bit of 'artistic licence', but the main reason I did it was that otherwise the Shadow won't have enough variation in the units. They will be like hashishim (sp?) in Medieval when used as a battle unit.

Quote[/b] (Schrodinger's Cat @ May 12 2004,15:23)]You might already have thought of this, but you have'nt mentioned it that I've seen. You said somewhere that Whitecloaks would be like Order Knights. I was wondering if you were going to allow Whitecloaks to crusade. This would seem to fit much better with what they do in the books, rather than having them invading their neighbours.
    The problem with this is that I would like to give the Whitecloaks Inquisitors (the Hand of the Light), and for this to work, the nations must be of the same religion so they wouldn't be able to crusade against anyone. Good idea though.

As for travelling, its the best reason I've had so far, but I'm not sure it will work, for Three reasons:

Firstly the less important reason: I'm not sure about making a different type of port which is faction specific? but this might work.

The second reason is that u would find emissaries and agents travelling about the place. They don't need ships, only ports.

And the third reason would be that u would be able to build ship yards in the middle of the continent, and u would also be able to build ships into this dummy region from any province. This would lead to all nations travelling.

Still its a good idea and I will give it a try, but later, after I've finished the era's before Rand arrives. I still think this is the time period with the most potential for a fun game.

If u want to help with the bifs then ur very welcome. Even if ur not very good any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, the server is down again, so no screens for a short while, I'll hopefully have them back up tomorrow

Quote[/b] ]Firstly the less important reason: I'm not sure about making a different type of port which is faction specific? but this might work.
    It's possible, verging on the easy, when you know how. In the build file, create a new building, and call it travelling ground or whatever. Under Building type Label, type PORT. Under Faction Association, enter the faction(s). Fill in the other fields as you like, and enter pictures in the info-pics and review-panel folders in campmap. Et voila. You can make it cost nothing, but it has to take at least 1 turn to build. The problem remains that the game will try and place a port icon. Shrugs.

Quote[/b] ]The second reason is that u would find emissaries and agents travelling about the place. They don't need ships, only ports.
    True. Shrugs.

Quote[/b] ]And the third reason would be that u would be able to build ship yards in the middle of the continent, and u would also be able to build ships into this dummy region from any province. This would lead to all nations travelling.
    There is a way around this, though it's not perfect. If you make building a proper port dependent on a new resource, coastline, in the Resources required ... in the building file, and then put that resource into all coastline provinces, then that should solve it. It would however show coastline as a resource. Shrugs.

Quote[/b] ]The problem with this is that I would like to give the Whitecloaks Inquisitors (the Hand of the Light), and for this to work, the nations must be of the same religion so they wouldn't be able to crusade against anyone.
    I hadn't thought of that. Is it possible to make all the other factions permanently excommunicated? That would allow inquisitions and crusades.

I quite understand you wanting to get the other eras done first. One step at a time sounds good.

I can't help with the units at the moment - exams . If you still need help in a month, I'll give it a shot, but I'll make no guarantees as to the quality of my work.

Schro's Cat
    Freedom is where your entitlements are fundamental and your restrictions are trivial.

i just didn't like the way metw was going when i was part of the team.
    thanks, dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Quote[/b] (Schrodinger's Cat @ May 12 2004,17:50)]
    Quote[/b] ]Firstly the less important reason: I'm not sure about making a different type of port which is faction specific? but this might work.
    It's possible, verging on the easy, when you know how. In the build file, create a new building, and call it travelling ground or whatever. Under Building type Label, type PORT. Under Faction Association, enter the faction(s). Fill in the other fields as you like, and enter pictures in the info-pics and review-panel folders in campmap. Et voila. You can make it cost nothing, but it has to take at least 1 turn to build. The problem remains that the game will try and place a port icon. Shrugs.
    I know about that but what I meant was that there will have to be two types of port, and one will be faction specific, but whats to stop them building the other type of port. I know the techinique of using a resource to make the other port only buildable on the coast, but then the problem of the coordinates of the port. There's only one set of these, and they determine which sea region you can board into. This would have to be connected to the actual sea region. The only way round this would be to make it so as u couldn't travel to regions next to the sea.

And of course there's the problem of the icon for ports would apear everywhere.

Still I said I will try, but not yet.

P.s. the images are working again

Ringwraith Extraordinaire Member The Witch-King's Avatar

Hmmm, here's an idea to do female rulers. You could put countries like Andor and the White Tower in a seperate culture group, and make sure that the leader portraits in that culture group are all women. This would ensure that the Amyrlin Seat and the Queen of Andor have proper portraits.

Oh, and the White tower as the Pope sound like a good idea.

Hi Witch King, I've already thought about the female rulers. It is possible to associate special portraits to certain factions (if u have VI). This is what I came up with:

Quote[/b] ]Andor and the Sea folk only have women as their rulers:
    Its in the books so I'm going to try and do it. A method I thought of would be to make the portraits for these factions rulers women, and give those factions unisex names. Unfortunately, heirs use the same images as generals, so they would have to be men and have a quick sex change when they ascend to the throne
    I'm not sure about the White Tower and the Pope. I find the Pope so annoying that I think I'd rather do without a 'pope' figure.

A quick update: I have been recieving some requests to add more than 10 bifs to this game. This would mean overwriting the old game, whereas I was hoping to make this as an expansion. I would like to hear the oppinions of people in these forums to help me make my mind up

Scandinavian and loving it Member Lazul's Avatar

Hey

About religion and the Children of the Light... well they are of a diffrent religion, they are the only one that see the Ae'Sedai as something that is created by the shadow.
    They are a bit like fundamentalistic christians.
    They can havn a religion you can call servents of the Light
    and all other factions can have servents of the Creator

... and then you can have your crusades
    www.overspun.com

"Freedom without opportunity is a devil's gift."
    --Noam Chomsky

Quote[/b] ]The problem with this is that I would like to give the Whitecloaks Inquisitors (the Hand of the Light), and for this to work, the nations must be of the same religion so they wouldn't be able to crusade against anyone.
    You can't give them crusades and inquisitors.

Unless...

Schrodinger's Cat came up with this idea:

Quote[/b] ]I hadn't thought of that. Is it possible to make all the other factions permanently excommunicated? That would allow inquisitions and crusades.
    I don't know how to do this though, if anyone does this would be a great addition to the game.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

It isn't possible to make a faction excommunicated, the Pope has to do it when your playing, you can't pre set a faction to be excommunicated as it's not an actual religion.

After skim reading Lazuls topic I seem to get the impression that there is only two religions correct? Why don't you use the Viking Invasion faction for your MOD, it would mean there would only be two religions (Cathlic and Pagan) and you wouldn't be having a percentage of Jewish following in your MOD, just a though if your planning to only use two religions, like I said, I've not read the books so I can only offer actual modding advice not conceptual.

Hopefully thats some help.

Nag
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

NagatsukaShumi

Do you know if it is possible to make a faction emerge, like the mongols. If so can u give me some details. This would help this mod a lot.

Thx.

The appearance of the Mongols is actually a hardcoded event so its not possible to make such events unless you hacked the code. Making factions appear is actually not possible in MTW or VI.

Nag
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Well is you use the same years as in orginal MTW you can have a faction emerging, you jsut replace all mongol units with Aiel and tadaa... Aiel is emerging out of nowhere.
    But, then you have to sacrifice the correctness of the Years...
    www.overspun.com

--Noam Chomsky

Oh well its not a problem, I'll just make the Aiel war era start with the appearance of the Aiel in the Jangai Pass.

NagatsukaShumi you seem to have been working on team based modding projects for some time, you don't happen to know someone who's any good at graphics who would do the bif for Trollocs do u? I'm getting desperate here

My MODs are actually made by myself Myrddraal so I have no actual team. However I have worked on the METW team at one point, Duke John can make impressive graphics but I doubt he could be persuaded as he has very little time on his hands to dedicate yet more time to unit graphics. The easy option is to simply release the Trolloc's as some BIF from MTW such as aKnight or something and change their weapons and shields, unit graphic artists tend to attach themselves to projects which have been released, even in beta state (i.e. flip on HTW).

Nag
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Ok I will do that NagatsukaShumi, thx for the advice.

It seems that my fist preview of this mod is going to be a historical battle: The battle for Emonds Field. If I can't do better the trollocs will look like tall men and for those who have read the books you will know just how stupid this is.

oh well

hehe, well yeah that will prob. look rather dumb

but, emonds field, that Two Rivers right? or am I just confused?
    www.overspun.com

--Noam Chomsky

Emonds field is the village which Rand, and co. come from. In the books the Two Rivers gets attacked by Trollocs and Perrin defends Emonds Field.

ah, well im reading the swedish books, the names are a bit screwed up

By the way, how are things going? Ill go nuts if I cant play soon
    www.overspun.com

--Noam Chomsky

Myrddraal I was wondering if you would like to have any help on the technical side of your MOD? (Bar Unit Graphics and Campaign Lukmaps) I don't mind dedicating some time to helping yoiu develop your MOD.

Feel free to contact me on : samandshirley@splaxton.fsnet.co.uk
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Quote[/b] (Lazul @ May 16 2004,09:57)]By the way, how are things going? Ill go nuts if I cant play soon
    Its nice to see a dedicated fan to the WoT

But seriously, I've only just started this mod, things are still in their prelimiary stages. It'll still be quite a while before it's ready

NagatsukaShumi, thanks for the offer Any help is very welcome. Have u read the books, its not really a problem if you haven't, but I do recomend them.

When you say
    Quote[/b] ]technical side
    do u mean unit_prod / build_prod and the startpos kind of stuff. I know a little about this area, enough to get along, but ur help would be very gratefully accepted

have you got Gnome Editor?
    you should if you don't it really makes prod files easy.
    you know how in the text files the lines aren't lined up and stuff like that, in Gnome editor it is all like little boxes, you should also check out one of those startpos editors, even though i never use them, i prefer to manualy do the not map related stuff (i mean like neighbour info and such)
    thanks, dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Yes dessa14,

I do know what I'm doing, I have enough knowledge to do the stuff, its just when there's an error or something unusual that I get stuck

Anyone who has read the books, I would like ur oppinion on how the blight should look on the campmap. I am working on this now and at the moment, I have used the dark brown land texture from the campmap. Any ideas.

+

If anyone wants to write the unit description for Whitecloak Cavalry, feel free

The Blight? hmmm, well i dont think a to dark and black thing would work... better to have dead-gray color if you know what a mean, with hills and so on. Also, if its possible, when you fight a battle in the blight that there is no or only dead trees.

hmm Whitecloak? you mean Children of the Light?

Well any way, I guess you mean the Children of the light so I wrote a description for them...

Whitecloak Heavy Cavalry

Fueld by an fanatical conviction that their couse is just
    and right theese mounted warriors ignore all danger and charge
    against all odds. On the battle field theese warriors are a true elite and the only downside is their numbers. They are hard to recruit (Spelling?) due to the bad reputation of the Children of the Light.
    Their heavy armor and armored horses protect them against most weapons and they only need to fear a wall of pikes or the armorpiercing crossbows.
    If the situation demands it theese warriors can dismount and fight just as good.

Very heavly armored
    Eccelent moral
    Very good attack
    Irresiteble charge
    Good Defence

well thats my try for a description

www.overspun.com

--Noam Chomsky

They are definately not heavily armored, they are depicted in the books as medium maybe heavy cavalary but I do not call have a breastplate and helm heavily armored. And there is nothing in the books about them being hard to recruit. And yes whitecloak and children of the light is the same thing.

Description should be something about them and their polished helmets and breastplates, how they see themselves as soldiers of the creator, how they find darkfiends everywhere and fear of another whitecloak war.

Just as in the book dark brown and with many hill's/mountains= the blight. And btw keep up the good work myd if you want when i get home after thursday ill work on descriptions.

I will soon be uploading a screenshot of Tear and the surrounding area (on the campmap).

In the books, this area has a hotter than average climate, olive groves etc. so I have used the textures from meditaranian countries in the MTW campmap.

Haddon Mirk will be in this screen, but I am unsure of what trees to include in the campmap. At the moment, I have put meditaranian trees fading into normal trees with some pine scattered around. If anyone knows (and I don't mean how u imagined it, I mean if u are sure) what trees to include please post. Thx

CrownOfSwords I guess your right about the armor, but what i mean about hard to recruite is that most normal villigers hate the whitecloaks for their inquistiroial actions and there for avoids recruitments.
    It was along time since I read the books I think I confused the armor-style of the whitecloaks with the borderland warriors.

Myrddraal, as for the Trollocks, you should give them almost cavalry speed as the can run really fast... you know, horselike legs and so on...
    www.overspun.com

--Noam Chomsky

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast