Thread: CA - can we have a demo please?

I've just read the IGN preview of RTW and I can't help but think if they can play a couple of custom battles then why can't I?

The argument seems to be that if they release a demo now then it won't reflect the final product. Well surely the battle engine is finished by now and if it isn't then you can forget that release date of Autumn 2004. Afterall, thats all we want, a couple of custom battles to get our teeth into. Hell, if they gave us a demo now then it wouldn't bother me if the game was delayed until next year

Come on CA - how about giving your loyal followers a taste of the action?

I'd say we will get a demo in August which ain't to far off & from what i've read so far its going to be a decent demo unlike the MTW & STW ones

The release date will probably be closer to Christmas than August, and it is likely they are still tweaking the battle engine, ironing out bugs, etc.

CA won't release a demo until closer to the release time of the game, because part of the function of a demo is to advertise your product. There is no point releasing a demo early because apart from the hardcore fans (us), most people will have forgotten about it by the time the game is in the shops.

Although this is bad for us, as it means we have to wait to play the game , it is better in the long run because it will ensure better sales, which will lead to more games from CA, which is great for everybody .

If CA released a Demo now it would only be a bad thing for every1.

A. Its buggy and we all moan about it and CA get sick of us and we of them.

B. We get bored fighting the same 500 Vs. 500 battle between romans and greeks and we beg for a new demo, we get sick of CA for not listening and CA get sick of us for wanting more

C. We ruin the 1st actual "Feel" of the game on a demo... you know, when you first get ingame and realise your dream for the past year has come true.....

we would be better getting it 2-4 weeks before release.

British Army: be the best

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ May 04 2004,11:23)]If CA released a Demo now it would only be a bad thing for every1.

B. We get bored fighting the same 500 Vs. 500 battle between romans and greeks and we beg for a new demo, we get sick of CA for not listening and CA get sick of us for wanting more

C. We ruin the 1st actual "Feel" of the game on a demo... you know, when you first get ingame and realise your dream for the past year has come true.....

very very very true, i couldn't agree more, still.....i would love a demo, even with a few bugs.
    60+ new units – including the mighty Indian War Elephants, Persian immortals and Indian naked female archers.

Senior Member Hopefull Member MiniKiller's Avatar

i wouldnt complain lol i'd do a battle and watch it over and over, then do it again. heh
    *Bows. Turns to return to darkness...bumps head...looks around, pretends noone saw. Dissapears in shadows while cursing at self*

Quote[/b] (octavian @ May 04 2004,23:28)]
    Quote[/b] (Knight_Yellow @ May 04 2004,11:23)]If CA released a Demo now it would only be a bad thing for every1.

very very very true, i couldn't agree more, still.....i would love a demo, even with a few bugs.
    look at Time commanders last eppisodes...

those were 4 months ago

now look at the latest video released.

they look like two completely different games in all respects.

you would love the demo for a few weeks maybe a month tops then you would get mighty bored...

British Army: be the best

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

CA has promised us a demo (a good one too) and I am sure we will get one. Most probably 3 - 4 weeks before the actual planned release date (whenever that may be). So, do not despair...we had rather wait another little while and get something proper as opposed to bugs, bugs, bugs...

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

*Drools* ahhh the holy It is the grail

Original Viking Member hundurinn's Avatar

I agree with Knight_Yellow. Why not wait until it is released? Can't you people wait? We have all be waiting and will wait as long as Rome Total War is in development.

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Quote[/b] (MiniKiller @ May 06 2004,19:02)]i wouldnt complain lol i'd do a battle and watch it over and over, then do it again. heh
    Heheh, I agree... I'd probably do the same thing... just no one ask me how many times I played the battle of Jaffa in the MTW demo, OK?
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey