Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: XVI -XVII mod

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Default Re: XVI -XVII mod

Next - so should I rename the Fanika to "Kungliga Majestäts Drabanter"?
    Yes, fänika is about the equivalent of a smaller infantry regiment (around 500 men, the cavalry had fanor, 300 men strong) in those times. It's an extremly generetic term and if used as units it was used around 1530-1610.

The problem with Swedish units is that they are usually called where they came from, not thier equipments. Even the mercs got thier name from who had formed the unit.

I think that I should use something different for the bodyguards in late than some half-pikes/whatever wielding soldiers.
    For late I gave Sweden 'Kungliga Maj:ts garde och livregemente' as bodyguards - very good MUSKETEERS to give the Swedish much necessary boost in this period.
    What do You think about this ?
    Sounds good, the Swedes need something to change from a quite weak army to a very strong one from around 1630 and onwards to 1709, (when almost the entire army was lost at Poltava).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Flying Dutchman Member Ellesthyan's Avatar

Sounds great, Cegorach! Im looking forward to the beta.

The Dutch republic was a major power in the 17th century. It's navy was bigger then those of France and England combined. It was, like the USA today, a superpower. Always influencing politics they fought sea battles against England, Sweden and Spain, fought France in the southern Netherlands, spred their culture to Russia and East-Germany, etc.

To represent this enormous navy the Provinces had, I think adding a special Dutch ship would be appropiate. It should be cheap, and swift to build (1 turn or 2, instead of 3). That would allow the Dutch to get up a powerful fleet swiftly, and make it their major strength.
    A.E.I.O.U.

Austria Est Imperare Orbi Universo
    Austria is destined to rule the world.

(Or, as the Prussians interpretated it:
    Austria Erit In Orbe Ultima
    Austria will one day be lowest in the world.)

Österreich über alles!

I believe the Fluyte is already added as a special dutch ship.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Hello everybody !

To the end of this week I should finish the units/agents/ships ( recently implemented homelands) and the basic techtree ( I will add the polders for the DUTCH) next is the startpos thing.
    I will have to prepare more than 200 descriptions and not all will be done for the Beta - it is like poetry so not easy without some sort of divine inspiration ( I have the russian, dutch, some swedish and some polish descriptions),anyway I'm leaving this for future.

About units I will add the Black Band as very good mounted arquebusiers in Florence dismountable to Lancknecht Arquebusiers and Watergeuzen.
    I also have found a way to implement sword & buckler infantry ( for dismounted cav.) - I will simply convert present 'dismounted early cavalry' ( called Knights) from poleaxes to sword & buckler.
    These guys will be avalable by dismounting cavalry ( demi-lancers, gendarmes etc) and recruitable as infantry by the Knights only.

BKB

Do You mind if we use some of Your flags and prebat_shields this would help a little ( I mean Georgia, Portugal, Sweden, the Knights) ?

Regards Cegorach/Hetman

Jesuit - from 'high', high conv. ability, affects zeal

I've got a lot of portraits of Jesuits, will they be used by the Papacy only or should i assign them to the different factions (by birthplace)?
    The building could be called Collegium (of the Societas Jesu, 1551 Collegium Romanum, 1552 Collegium Germanicum).
    It could get an office/title:
    The 'Societas Jesu' S.J. is
    lead by the General (aka 'Black Pope'),
    second is the Admonitor who critizises him to assure discipline.

Alex
    Last edited by AlexPeters; 08-13-2004 at 16:42.
    Pike & Musket mod forum | Download the Pike & Musket Mod for MTW
    Prejudices are what fools use for reason (Voltaire)

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Ceg, thats fine mate feel free to use what you like.

[QUOTE=AlexPeters]Jesuit - from 'high', high conv. ability, affects zeal

I've got a lot of portraits of Jesuits, will they be used by the Papacy only or should i assign them to the different factions (by birthplace)?

Alex - Will be available to all catholic factions.

BKB - Thanks !!

Regards

Some more infos:
    The French Wars of Religion:
    Descriptions of Battles and Battlefields

Probably useful for descriptions:
    Millers:
    Derisively nicknamed "Millers" for their flour white smocks they wore over their armour, these hard-charging cavalry were among the finest horsemen of their time. Unlike the German mercenary reiters, the Millers disdained to caracole; they would discharge their pistols at the point of impact, then draw sword and push the attack home.

Argoulets:
    (left rider)
    Argoulets were mounted Arquebusiers who could fire, probably not very effectively given the nature of the gun, from the saddle.

I've found this DBR Army list:
    French Huguenot
    4 x Pi(S) Millers
    1 x LH(I) Argoulet
    3 x Pk(O) Landsknecht
    5 x Sh(I) Arquebusiers
    2 x Dr(I) Mtd Arquebusiers
    4 x Pi(I) German Reiters
    1 x Art(O) Artillery

French Catholic
    3 x Ln(O) Gendarmes
    3 x Pi(O) Chevaux Leger
    4 x Pk(S) Royal Swiss Pike
    1 x Sh(I) Royal Swiss Arquebusiers
    1 x Pk(I) French Royal Foot
    2 x Sh(I) French Royal Foot
    2 x Sk(O) Enfant Perdu
    1 x Pi(I) German Reiters
    1 x Art(O) Artillery

It seems that the Huguenots also had access to the Argoulets, probably after their champion Henri IV of Navarra was crowned king of france.
    You can also see that the Huguenots relayed mostly on their cavalry in battle.

En Haye:
    Literally "in line". A cavalry line formation (used by shock cavalry), usually only 1 to 3 riders deep,
    as opposed to the more common deep columns.
    The formation was used by:
    Gendarmes (right rider),
    Gendarmes de' Ordonnance,
    Burgundian Men at Armes and
    Spanish/Imperialist Hombre/Gente de Armas

Alex

Here You can see the newest screenshots from the mod.

http://totalwar.org.pl/board/viewtop...t=685&start=45

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

http://www.jasinski.co.uk/wojna/index.htm
    Polsih army from 1415-some time.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

I know this source. Thank You anyway.

I saw this sword with some re-enactors at their museum tent they had at a renaissance fair, they said it was used by the landsknechte quite extensively against the pikemen of switzerland and to good affect as it could easily cut through pikes as well as men...is there any chance this or the german landsknechte will be in this mod?

I think there should.
    The Landskneckts were known to have grudges against the Swiss, both competing in battle to win over the other, and to prove they were superior in battle, and which one had superior fighting skills.

During the French Wars of Religion the Hugenouts used landskneckts, and the Catholics, including the League used Swiss.

The Landskneckts were supposed to dress in very flashy, eloquent, stylish clothing.

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Wink Re: XVI -XVII mod

Landsknechts will be in the game. We've got Pikemen, Armoured Pikemen, Halberdiers, Arquebusiers, Doppelsoldner (with Flambergs - the type of sword NormanPain has shown) and Forlorn Hope. Someone from the polish total war forum is working on unit models for all of them.

If there's someone who's willing/able to do some unit modelling and animation for the mod - pm me.

Some screenshots of the mod:

The Background is the painting 'Peace of Westphalia' 1648 by Adriaen van Nieulandt.

Alex
    Last edited by AlexPeters; 09-02-2004 at 21:27.

Looks fantastic!
    Could you guys post some screenies of the Swedish units?

Well, there aren't models for swedish units, we'll use existing ones at the moment. But i can post some info pics for them:

If you're able to make models...

Alex
    Last edited by AlexPeters; 09-02-2004 at 20:09.

This mod is going to be great...I mean who else will have flambergs?

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Beautiful and well looking forward to it

For models, etc. you might ask the Lordz collective, see if they are willing to help (great people)

Also, in the game, make sure there are quite a few mercs, especially in Italy, Germany, France and Sweden.
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 09-04-2004 at 17:05.

I decided to remove the Wallon Corselets to add a one unit for Danemark
    (I have several to choose from) - two Wallon units are enough.
    In addition I made Demi-Lancers available to all western factions which were able to use some sort of lancers in 'high'.

That is all when it comes to the changes.

ANOTHER THING

Since it is closer and close to the first release ( several problems to solve, but most of is already done) I'll need lists of historical heroes for all factions except Poland.
    I'd like to add at least about 20 for each faction if possible.
    Please post Your proposals here ( a name, a surname, where and when he appears, stats + 1 virtue/vice) I'll include these guys as soon as I'll start adding the heroes and preparing the final BETA instal version.

For the first release I'll need volunteers for beta testers.

If You are interested please send me an e-mail titled 'BETA' - my e-mail Cegorach77@o2.pl

Please write what faction would You like to test ( two - three testers for each faction is maximum in my opinion).
    Of course those who participated in creating this mod get the priority, so please write who You are using Your login from this forum.

All interested please contact me by the e-mail.
    I'll answer as soon as possible.

Regards Cegorach/Hetman

For names, use the ones from the old version, (pretty good names) And any new factions, you just make up those from "local" names (aka Duchy of Saxon, use German names, but add a few Polish, and a few Danish in there to)

will there be a real campaign to this mod? much as i was impressed with the quality of N:TW 5.0, i was disapponted to find that it was (AFAIK) just a collection of battles. :(

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : XVI -XVII mod

What do you call a 'real campaign' ?

If you're speaking about a campaign on a campaign map, with different factions, then there's one in N:TW.

If you're speaking about Historical campaigns (which rather look like a collection of battles), then I don't understand what's the problem, since historical campaigns of original MTW are exactly the same thing.

maybe i'm being particularly stupid, but i checked briefly in the new game and only saw the standard Early/Late/High/Vikings campaigns listed, so i wnet to the Historical Campaigns section and found only set-piece battles.

maybe i'd better go and have another look.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : XVI -XVII mod

You must have screwed up something, because I have 2 files in my NTW startpos folder : Nap_Beta5 and Nap_Beta5a

lol, no it was me being dumb.

N:TW campaign was their, it was just under the FOV in the campaign selector, scroll down and voila.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine_Tergiversate
    will there be a real campaign to this mod? much as i was impressed with the quality of N:TW 5.0, i was disapponted to find that it was (AFAIK) just a collection of battles. :(
    Yes, it'll be a 'real' campaign, in fact it's a total conversion. Three campaigns (early, high, late - see the first pages of this thread) but (for the first beta) without changes to the standard TW campaign map.
    Historical battles are planned only, we've collected a lot of raw material (descriptions, map pictures, unit lists etc.) but there's no work done (battle/castle maps, historical battle scripts) yet as far as i know.
    The Thirty Years War, the English Civil War, the French Religious Wars, the Nordic Wars before 1700, the Dutch Independence War, the Bishops War, the Italian Wars, the Cossak Wars, the Austro-Turkish Wars, some Portuguese Battles in Northern Africa...
    Lots of possibilities - pm me if you're interested to do some work on it.

Alex

sounds great, sadly my modding skillz are limited to UnrealED*, and my knowledge of history jumps from the end of the crusades to napoleonic, lol.

* www.spandex.eclipse.co.uk

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

@AlexPeters

Wow, this mod looks incredible. I absolutely can't wait.
    But for Rome, there is another mod like this called Citadel Total War (check the link below or the thread in this forum for more details)
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What can I say?
    It looks absolutely great! I didnt believe I would miss so much these holidays. You did a brilliant job guys.

In a little more practical manner, If you need unit descriptions for the infopics or age descriptions for spain You only have to tell me about it.

I didnt have the chance to read everything that has been done since I last read this thread, so I dont know (yet) what needs to be done. If I can help in any way, please dont hesitate to tell me about it.

Yours.
    SM

Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast