Thread: It has to be done

Alright then, hit me, what music do you like, what genre, bands, people, tell us all.

I like metal / rock / punk, it's all good. Bands I have stuff from are - Iron Maiden, Metallica, System of a down, Radiohead, Muse, Anthrax, Megadeth, Ataris, Disturbed, Evanescence, Lagwagon, Lacuna coil, Kings of leon, Guns and roses, Green day, Goldfinger, Nightwish, Pantera, Red hot chilli peppers, The rasmus... I could go on, you get the point :p

Music rulz you all, and you know it *headbangs*
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

I don't care too much about the genre. I listen to radio a lot while driving and if there is a song I like, I get it. Simple as that. I used to be into Heavy Metal and all kinds of other rock, but with age, I suppose, one gets a little more accepting of other styles. So, basically, nothing specific but rather music from A to Z.

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die Member Axeknight's Avatar

Another GN'R fan Jag? And Metallica too? And you like the Chilis?

They've cloned me. Only they did it four years before I was born

My music - Guns n Roses, REM, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, Jimi Hendrix, Def Leppard, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, some Metallica, Black Sabbath, and some weird stuff I won't mention (although Electric six - Gay Bar is one - and so is The Darkness )

OMG how could I miss Asmith, I have every album, GAH Knew there would be someone I would miss. And ye I am an admirer of GnR but I am not a huge fan, one of my mates is though.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I'm a classic/proggressive rock and metal fiend;

Metallica, up to 'and Justice for all', although they lost something after Cliff Burton died;
    Rush;
    Yes;
    Led Zeppelin;
    Black Sabbath;
    THE FLOYD;
    Deep Purple;
    Hendrix;
    G'N'R;
    Muse;
    Van Halen;

I could go on for a while. Basically, as long as it's got Blazin' solos and a kick-arse riff, I'm there.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ May 10 2004,20:58)]I could go on for a while. Basically, as long as it's got Blazin' solos and a kick-arse riff, I'm there.
    Spoken perfectly, my friend... *begins to play 'Welcome to the jungle' on air guitar'*

Welcome to the Jungle,
    We got fun n games
    We got everything you want
    Honey we know all the names
    We are the people that can find
    Whatever you may need
    If you got the money, honey
    We got your disease

Everyone join in *puts on Slash top hat and sunglasses*

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I enjoy all music except for Polynesian chanting, Hip Hop, Pop, and Rap. All these while the beat is good the method of delivery of the vocals is just terrible.

Some of my favorite bands are: Led Zepplin, Iron Maidan, System of a Down, Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Apocalyptica, Bjork.

Some of my favorite techno DJs: Pragha Khan, DJ Quicksilver, Daft Punk, Eiffel 65, Tatu, and Juno Reactor.

Some of my favorite composers are: Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and Tchaikovsky.

And then there's a whole pile of other groups I enjoy but this is the cream of the crop in my book.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Old school metal, grunge, rap, rawk n roll, trip-hop, disco, indie, glam rock, 60s stuff, classical, its all good About the only thing I don't like is manufactured pop & country music.

Today I listened to The Real Thing by Faith No More whilst washing up. ROCK ON (we need a headbanging smilie)

"I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

All kinds, but most of the music I like is either metal or goth. I used to listen to much more metal before, but now it's more goth in turn. Rammstein, Sepultura, Pantera, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Tiamat, and such would fall under metal, while Sisters of Mercy, Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Cure, Depeche Mode, Death In June, Smiths, etc. would be on the goth side. I used to listen to a lot of Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Suicidal Tendencies, Napalm Death, and similar, but I've kind of grown out of that. I also find that a lot of new American music is good, especially Chevelle and System of a Down. And Exploited deserves a honorary mention as the band that I probably should have grown out of already, but I guess I never will.

Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Amir of the office desk Member Cebei's Avatar

I am a Bach devotee. Cant live without him.. oh, and Satriani.
    When the game ends, peon and king go into the same box.

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

There's so much I like that I can hardly mention it all over here.
    But I'll mention a few anyways : White Stripes, Soledad Brothers, Franz Ferdinand, Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster (grrreat music, fun texts for the little that I understand), Tricky (not really surprising I guess), Blur (especially their 3 last albums), and some softer music as Massive Attack, Lamb, Portishead and some dance music as Smith&Mighty, ils, Zero 7.

I'm waiting for a Linkin Park fan so I can flame them.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Quote[/b] ]All kinds, but most of the music I like is either metal or goth. I used to listen to much more metal before, but now it's more goth in turn. Rammstein, Sepultura, Pantera, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Tiamat, and such would fall under metal, while Sisters of Mercy, Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Cure, Depeche Mode, Death In June, Smiths, etc. would be on the goth side. I used to listen to a lot of Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Suicidal Tendencies, Napalm Death, and similar, but I've kind of grown out of that. I also find that a lot of new American music is good, especially Chevelle and System of a Down. And Exploited deserves a honorary mention as the band that I probably should have grown out of already, but I guess I never will.
    Your taste in music is similar to what I primarily listen to. I'd only have to replace Dead Can Dance and Sisters of Mercy with Black Tape for a Blue Girl and Rasputina. I used to like more Gothic music but lately I've gone more toward Industrial(Rammstein) and Death Metal(Cradel of Filth) than true Goth(Your selection along with Bauhaus and Souxie and the the Banshees) music.

I have to add a dislike of country music to my list. There's something about it I don't like, it's too slow the singers are too whiney or something.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Quote[/b] (spmetla @ May 10 2004,17:09)]I have to add a dislike of country music to my list. There's something about it I don't like, it's too slow the singers are too whiney or something.
    Hey, at least it has some string instruments in it. In European bars, you usually get nailed with electronic dance kitch so much that I actually wouldn't mind some whiney singers and slow tunes for a change.

For me, it depends on the mood. It's either raw power like Rammstein or Sepultura, or nice (and dark) melodies like Sisters and Smiths. And yes, I forgot Bauhaus and Siouxie.

Btw, I've never heard of the two bands you mentioned, Black Tape for a Blue Girl and Rasputina. To what would you compare them?
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Modern non-rap(Hard music): Nine Inch Nails (The best of the best), KoRn, Deftones, Glassjaw, Disturbed, Tool, Staind, Mushroomhead, Static X, Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, Nirvana, Adema, Sevendust, Bad Religion,Pantera,Metallica,Marylin Manson and many others.

Modern (Soft): No crap like boybands, or male singers such as michael bolton who cater towards homosexuals. The female latin singers (Shakira and Christina Aguilera etc.) I like, as well as Tatu, because it involves 2 lesbian girls.

Modern (Techno): Trance, Hard Trance, Ambient, House, Industrial etc.

Modern (Rap): D12, Eminem, 50 cent, G-Unit etc. Especially D12 and Eminem.

Classical: Mozart (Favorite of all time) Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Hadyn, Vivaldi, Lizst, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev (sp?), Handel, Rossini etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Up until a few years ago, when my hearing finally went completely, I like most music, but loved folk music. Like Irish, Scot, etc., and of course, American folk music. It's real. Folk music is the window into the soul of any given culture. You can learn a lot just by their common songs.
    Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith

Member Member Maychargewithoutorders's Avatar

Too many bands i could list so ill stick to my all time top three:

Pearl Jam
    Reef
    Counting Crows

Vivaldi, Corelli, Schubert.

Pink Floyd, Queen, Jethro Tull, Beatles, Allman Brothers.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Pink Floyd
    Deep Purple
    Frank Sinatra
    Simon & Garfunkle
    Jefferson Airplane
    Beatles
    Vanilla Fudge
    Cream
    Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Moody Blues
    Lots of classical
    Gordon Lightfoot (he deserves a mention)
    Unto each good man a good dog

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

All good stuff - classic rock (Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Ozzy, Hendrix) and some of the better new stuff (Beck, eminem, Queens of the Stone Age), Reggae, Mozart, Blues, I love Japanese and Chinese music.

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

Quote[/b] ]Pink Floyd
    Deep Purple
    Frank Sinatra
    Simon & Garfunkle
    Jefferson Airplane
    Beatles
    Vanilla Fudge
    Cream
    Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Moody Blues
    Lots of classical
    Gordon Lightfoot (he deserves a mention)
    Gotta go with all of those

The Band
    Hendrix
    The Who
    The Animals
    Hermans Hermits
    Stones
    Bee Gees
    Doors
    Mamas and the Papas
    Stevie Wonder
    Steve Vai
    Frank Zappa
    The Turtles
    Petula Clark
    The Supremes
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Mahavisnu Orchestra
    Santana
    The Temptations
    Little anthony and the Imperials
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Return to forever
    Focus
    Benny Goodman
    Louie Prima
    Cypress Hill
    Four Seasons
    Beach boys
    Luther Vandross
    Leslie Gore
    John Luc Ponty
    Jan Hammer
    Jeff Beck
    Billy Colbham
    Dean Martin
    Shania twain
    Weird Al
    The Strawbs
    Peter and Gordon
    G & R
    Aerosmith
    Blind faith
    Wings
    Traveling wilburys
    Fleetwood Mac
    Maddona
    The Ventures
    The Everky Brothers
    The Rightous Brothers
    The Guess Who
    Prince

Thats a start
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

I wanna be a real boy! Member chunkynut's Avatar

I listen to a lot of alerantive rock,

Radiohead, Tool, Soundgarden, Silverchair, Alice in Chains, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, A Perfect Circle, Metallica, Stone Temple Pilots, Rammstien, Opeth .....

and recently i've been getting into real cheesy power metal like Dragonforce and Heavenly. I listen to some UK indie aswell and quite a bit of scandanavian black/death metal. So fairly eclectic

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

One can learn a thing or two about people’s state of mind by reading what music they like listening to... (pointing at no-one in particular)
    Status Emeritus

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Anything with scantily clad women
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Superman Lovers(particularily Starlight),its not a band though,but his music is tight.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

Surpisingly many metalheads here. For me it´s Death/Black/Goth, but I´m listening to lots of Electronic and Dark Wave lately. Other kinds of music can be good as well, I´ve grown more tolerant with time. I often can´t stand Jazz though.

Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ May 11 2004,18:17)]Surpisingly many metalheads here.
    Erm... D'ya know where you can buy AC/DC t-shirts? I don't have one

Quote[/b] (Axeknight @ May 11 2004,17:36)]
    Quote[/b] (A.Saturnus @ May 11 2004,18:17)]Surpisingly many metalheads here.
    Erm... D'ya know where you can buy AC/DC t-shirts? I don't have one
    I love my AC/DC shirt. It has 'for those about to rock...' on the front, and then 'WE SALUTE YOU' in huge letters on the back.

Try Here

Resident Spammer Member son of spam's Avatar

Classical

But then I play the violin so I have to listen to it anyways.