Thread: Do you copy music?

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

When I saw the which music do you prefer topic, I figured it might be a good idea to start a discussion on copying music. As the music industry claims that we are all responsible for their losses, I wondered how you think about this.

Do you copy music? Or exchange/download files from p2p programs?

I must admit I occasionnally do copy music, but there are very little cd's or songs that I copy and not buy afterwards (even though it sometimes takes some time before I do buy the record). I mostly spot some good songs here and there, read reviews and then download a few songs of a new record to check if the overall disc is OK or not.
    When I don't like the record, I remove the mp3 files from my harddisk.
    I see that I am one of the few who acts in this way; only very few of my friends actually buy records, most of them just borrow cds and copy them...

I download my music and put them on disk if I want to.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Nope. Mainly becasue all i listen to is the same old CD of YO YO MA
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

I always download music. I'd buy music if I could afford it but I can't and downloading music is cheaper anyhow. I don't share music and burn copies for friends or anything so I'm not too bad a pirate.

[pirate voice]Yargh Matey There be Mp3s off the port bow Batten down the hatches hard to port ladeys we be needing booty to plunder[/pirate voice]

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Yeah, I download most of my music too. I don't see the reason why i should go out and buy a cd for SFR 30,- ($20 - $25) if I only like one or two songs on it. Occasionally, I go and buy a disk though, especially, of artists iI deem worthy ;).

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I used to download a lot, but recently a started feeling really bad for the artists who's money I was effectively stealing, so I stopped.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]This is an off-topic forum for lighter topics only. That means certainly no politics. Anything that is suspect to lead to heated discussions does not belong here and will be moved or may even be closed or deleted.
    wrong forum :)

Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ May 10 2004,23:14)]I used to download a lot, but recently a started feeling really bad for the artists who's money I was effectively stealing, so I stopped.
    Oh my heart bleeds... They get enough damn money.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote[/b] (JAG @ May 10 2004,23:21)]
    Quote[/b] (Big King Sanctaphrax @ May 10 2004,23:14)]I used to download a lot, but recently a started feeling really bad for the artists who's money I was effectively stealing, so I stopped.
    Um...not neccesarily. I mean, I know if I was in a small band, I'd ruthlessly hunt down anyone pirating my music. What would be cool would be if someone could cut out the fat cat record companies who actually take all of the money, so there was a way you could give cash directly to the artist.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Since when do you dl music of small local bands? Come off it. People who you dl music from get enough cash.

I accept burnt CDs, but that's about it. I don't bother with p2p.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (JAG @ May 10 2004,23:21)
    Quote (Big King Sanctaphrax @ May 10 2004,23:14)
    I used to download a lot, but recently a started feeling really bad for the artists who's money I was effectively stealing, so I stopped.

Um...not neccesarily. I mean, I know if I was in a small band, I'd ruthlessly hunt down anyone pirating my music. What would be cool would be if someone could cut out the fat cat record companies who actually take all of the money, so there was a way you could give cash directly to the artist.
    allright everybody put your fingers in your ears and start humming JAG and BKS have invaded the light froum with an arguement and god forbid a DEBATE

this didnt happen people just keep on humming nothing to see here

Nope. It's illegal, mostly. I could never do anything illegal. One can become really smug and pompous when they're deaf.
    Our greatest glory lies not in never having fallen, but in rising every time we fall. Oliver Goldsmith

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

I am a musician and composer, and have been for many years. Out of respect for other artists, I never download music unless it is offered free legitimately. If I hear something I like, I buy the CD. It's a small price to pay, and I'd hope that others would honor me with the same courtesy if they liked my music.

I don't not do it because it's against the law. I don't do it because it violates my personal principles--my personal sense of honor. What others do, I cannot control so I don't worry much about. The human population is subject to the Bell Curve like anything else. There will be really cool people, and real arseholes. But most will just be average. What I am, now, that concerns me ... .
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Isn't this a political/economic controversial issue?

It is stealing on one side. 'Freedom of speech' on the other.

Personnaly I think it is stealing.

If you go to a library and photocopy an entire book it is stealing. It is intellectual theft.

Or is the only work considered that of physical work? And everything else is for the taking.

If you consider that then you don't agree with patents, paying scientiets, authours, artists, photographers or anyone else who creates new things (developers). Think about it you are refusing to pay the very people who make progression (so you deserve to be a neanderthal in a cave). And if you are copying it they are the people making the type of progression you want.

By not paying the developers of your favoured choices you are in a competitive world favouring those you do pay for or have to pay for out of no choice.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I wanna be a real boy! Member chunkynut's Avatar

I do download music, but i buy a lot as well. I use p2p and friends mp3 collections to boost my own but if i like the music (i wouldn't bother keeping any music i don't like on my pc) I usually (90% of the time) buy the CD. I enjoy listening to the whole album and having the cd art and cover info and stuff.

The other 10% is my wish list, that i hope to buy anyway, or is far too expensive i.e. rare and not manufactured any more.

And i still borrow cds from friends and then go out and by it if its cheap

In the UK www.play.com is good for music, games and dvds and cheap with the delivery included in the price (am I allowed to recommend this or is this an advert piracy laws are beyond me)

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

I share music all the time. Generally back catalogue stuff from bands that have long since made their money. I mean do the Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd really need any more of our money?

I would prefer to pay £1 direct to the artist for a CDs worth of music that I download. Screw paying £12 for a CD when the shop gets £2, the manufacterer £1, the artist 90p and the record company gets the rest. Greedy bastard record companies are going down and good riddance. Most artists are probably happy to see them take a pasting.

And while I'm here - f*ck Metallica - rich money grabbing bitches.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

They may be Idaho, but their early stuff is just amazing. Fade to black, breadfan, nothing else matters, am I evil, master of puppets, battery, low man's lyric etc, etc...

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

I think it is perfectly acceptable to download music that is not readily available/deleted etc.

I suppose technically it is stealing but try as I might I cant help but think the majority of large music acts and their record companies are getting payback for 20 odd years of overcharging for music.

Especially back-catalouge stuff I hate seeing Cd's that are 10 years old going for £18. Rip off
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Resident Spammer Member son of spam's Avatar

all the time

I make backup copies

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

fair use

Understanding in a Car Crash Member RZST's Avatar

i mostly get albums online now.
    i show my support by going to live concerts :

Taking on seven years that the holy ghost had left alone
    test my arms, kick like crazy, Ive been trying way too long.
    only if he could push his way off and fight you
    Im sorry, Im sorry, Im not sure
    Getting this off my chest, the story ends.

if i like the album i buy the album, if i just like 1 or 2 tracks, i download them, i refuse to buy an album for 1 or 2 tracks

Although a lot of my mp3s i ripped myself, as soon as i buy a cd, i rip it and dump the cd, that way i dont need to faff around hunting for cd's when i want to listen to music, i just fire up winamp.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

-
    I have made most of my music collection thanks to Napster and Audiogalaxy (may both rest in peace). I needed every single piece of them because it was my learning process and not only could I afford them, but also it was/is literally impossible to find most of them offline.

Yep. I'm a composer and performer of music as well.

I'll also gladly pay for anything worth. Fair/fair.
    _
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...