Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Siskinies

Or you could try the istadan@alliteration.net email again, it was messed up a bit ago but has been working recently, bloody inconsistant thing.
    That darn beagle

Yes, you like? Member Zanderpants's Avatar

CZoF:

That sounds like it, I just noticed that the Indian war elephant battle icon is of Druzhina Cavalry.

Persians:
    5 skythed chariots
    3 war elephants
    3 immortals
    3 kardakes
    2 Persian Royal Guard

Thracians:
    2 Romefeofori
    5 Thracian Peltasts
    3 Light Slingers
    2 Thracian spearmen
    1 Thracian cavalry
    "Tell a lie enough times, and it becomes truth."
    ~Joseph Goebbels
    "******* hell are you all 20 watt light bulbs...?"
    ~Abokasee

THESSALIANS: TOTAL DEFEAT
    OK i give up

i have been playing over 12 Thessalians campaigns now- Archanic era - normal Difficulty level.
    Ive been playing for over 12 hours now, and i have tryed every strategy i could think off.

SWARMED EVERY TIME after around 30 years

Generaly the opponents outnumber me 7-10:1 (and having a much better hoplite ratio then me, they have better valor and better upgrades. It impossible to even get a decent start.

I can easyly win with ratios 3-2:1 with no problems, but this is crazy.

The "swarms" are from different factions every time.
    Here is a little picture 27 years after start.
    this was just the latest game, some of the other games had been much much much worse.

http://www.image-dump.com/image.php?x=13127

Developers please reply when you have seen this.
    Its rather hard to test a faction who are doomed.
    Ive tried playing a few custom games, there are still some
    units who gives you more money when you buy them, its rather weird, i can't remeber which units becouse i was just looking "new unit mode" at that time.

And about the money. ive seen the computer begin to bribe all the time now, i don't think it fits the "Greek mood" in the game, armies switching sides in a big scale....

Developlers please reply

TO CROWNOFSWORDS
    Don't be silly the idea of faction specific hoplites is great, or else each faction would be the same, with different starting region.
    I can't imagine that those Spartans men, who have been living in the army since they could walk, they have been raised that they shall die for Sparta. when you then conquer Sparta, they you still can get hoplites, but not the elites, the idea is that the "special spartan culture" or way of life produces these spartan-hoplites.

-Brian Bergh
    Email and MSN: brianbbj@hotmail.com

Playing as the Argians in the classical era has got to be one of the toughest campaigns i've ever played. They only start out with 2 provinces & one of them is a long way away. The Spartans have Argolis completely surrounded with a hell of a lot more men than the Argians. The Spartans nearly always attack first turn. I beat them back 3 years in a row & then managed to take Corinth. But money is a problem as I only have afew provinces. I can't trade as the Spartans have a huge navy(that they start out with) & they build a lot of ships in their starting provnces while I can only use one province for ship production. All other factions start out with more money, more provinces, more ships & more troops than the Argians.
    I noticed that the Athenians start out with units of Argian Hoplites in Doris & North Dodecanise. I think this was a mistake & the islands should have been given to the Argians. With the AI in control of the Argians the following sequence takes place, Argolis is invaded by Sparta(might have 1 successful defence) but eventually either the Argian king is captured or gets trapped in the castle. If he is captured & the AI ransoms him back its pretty much game over for the Argians as they will more than likely end up stuck on their islands. If he gets trapped in castle the faction gets wiped out. This will leave the Spartans becoming a big threat to the Athenians who will be busy fighting the Persians at the time.
    Battles against the AI have a tendency to turn into "Benny hill chases" as most units are skirmishers which means I have to chase them to the end of the map where I can pin them. I still have yet to meet cavalry that does not have missiles, which means most of my army has to be cavalry to chase the 85% skirmisher armies of the AI. All the javelin units are not that effective due to their unit size, If you have a thin formation only the centre part can fire their missiles & if you have a deep unit formation only the first few ranks fire. They still manage to use up their ammo very quickly either way. I've noticed that the AI likes to spread these units into 3 ranks deep so when it comes to melee they can't even get to the unit they are after as they will run into my full army. Cavalry also has a tendency to completely incircle Hoplites due to their unit size. The unit size of the cavalry makes them very unweilding even in deep formations. Finally my last gripe so far would have to be the buildings, they look good but its hard to tell them apart at a glance which is a bit of hassle when you have half the map.
    Anywayz back to beating the Spartans(at least they don't have many skirmishers). The music is great, unit graphics look very good & the changes to the UI look really good.

I just checked & the Thessalians start off with the least amount of resources(only 2 ships )

Hi Brian,

Bribing takes place whenever there is to much money in the game, it happens in most of the mods & was rampant in the last version of this game. Probably increased with the very low loyalty of nearly all the starting units in the game. The Thessalians where really hard in the last version aswell, they are kinda in a bad location.

I know they are hard.....but should they be impossible?
    If they are a "flavor at the start of the campaign" faction, who are destinyed to die fast its ok by me, but then the developers should have told me not to expect to win with them.

I have even used cheat codes and every thing but they can't even survive for 50 rounds.
    (the cheat campaign are not counted in the over 12 REAL campaigns i've played).
    -Brian Bergh

One thing I have done to my own version of the Napoleonic Mod is to make Palaces produce Princesses. Doing this enables you to marry them off to your Generals increasing their Loyalty. I only mention this as a possible counter to the heavy Bribing going on...which is something I have witnessed as well...Don't forget the Assassin's to kill their Emissaries and the fact that you can Bribe as well.
    Nuke the site from orbit...only way to be sure (Reese-Aliens)

OK...

As I've not been assigned a faction, and they've all got ample testers anyway (as far as I know) I set up a series of balanced custom battles, ranging from tiny to gigantic, to test out the game.
    First of all, it's awesome. I've yet to use the battering rams, but everything else is... very good. The battles are fast and furious, except for occasionally, when there isn't a lot of cavalry on the map. You see, half of the units are armed with javelins, and though they've got a good attack and defense, they throw and run away. I know there's no way to make them more aggressive, but maybe scaling back the missiles might be a good idea.
    Ok... on to graphical issues, I'll try to note those that haven't been addressed already: I followed the installation instructions to the letter, the game works perfectly, but many of the units (chariots, elephants and cavalry in particular) do not leave corpses. Is there a fix for this I'm unaware of?
    Also, when you are playing as attacker, all of your forces are piled together in a small line, looking quite cramped. I know someone's said that already, bleh.
    Many of the chariots -with the exception of the light chariots that the Illirians have- move awkwardly, and sort of 'snap' from facing one direction to another. Elephants also do this to a certain extent, but their main problem is that they stand still as statues in melee, while their riders are fighting.
    On that note, I'd advize that chariots and elephants get a higher formation length/width spacing if possible. My elephant poking its tusks up another elephant's butt looks odd. There also seem to be a bit too many chariots per unit? It's not a bug, it just seems odd.
    Oh, and those Falxmen guys... Rhomp... rhom... er, I can't spell the name. I just wanted to say they're my favorite unit. They're lovely
    That darn beagle

Macedonians:

So far, so good.

Went into a siege against the Beotians and tried some battering rams. It was quite hard to make them do the job because they only worked 1/3 of the time. Had to make them face the wall perfectly to do some damage.

I enjoy the new values for projectiles, they seem a little more effective against troops.

The charge values are fine, although I took the liberty of testing the Persian war elephants and I would like them to have a more devastating charge.

It seems hard to make my phalanxs make a formation when in a hill or such.

Saw a ship description wrech without a message( I figured you haven't fixed that yet)

I don't like some of the new colors in the Campmap for some factions, more details on that later.

Barking Beagle you have the Thessalians.

CZoF

found a very small bug in northern warband fight animation, seems they whip out their sling in close combat, rather than their spear... looks like they're slapping the enemy in the face with their underwear.. kinda funny actually.

i also have to agree with some comments about the ease of amassing wealth in the game... i have amassed a fortune and am not really even trying.

the illyrian campaign is getting a bit tougher now as i'm now getting into battles facing greek hoplites.. it requires more thought and planning to fight these battles as you are really outclassed.. must use terrain, need lots of space to manuever (get to their flanks).. i use illyrian cavalry to split their force into.. getting some of the hoplites to chase after them... i then hit their remaining force head on with illyrian spearmen and flank them with the dacian rhomoguys.. once this is done i march off to finish their now exausted (from chasing after my cavalry) remaining army.. this does not always work as planned and is still pretty costly, but it's carried me so far. a good supply of mercenary scythian archers helps as well. very enjoyable game.

one other thing i've noticed is that the lydians seem a little too strong.. they've already overun turkey and are entering greece.. seems alittle early in the game for that.
    Always check first page of this thread for model updates.. and page two for Faction updates...

HI

I hope not im off beta testing, i got worried when BarkingBeagle got my faction.

anyway im continuing today, now i will focus on finding animation errors on the units, a funny thing is that the unit graphics seem to look better on 800x600 then on 1024x800...weird...but i also got an old silly computer.
    -Brian Bergh

BarkingBeagle,

we had pushed MTW to the limits regarding several aspects. One is the new units bifs like chariots and elephants, rams. The sides of a unit is given by 4 angles, and the process is like a clock move. When we have vertical style units as soldiers those angle passing is smooth. In horizontal elongated units(chariots is the extreme example) you will notice the angle switch. Its MTW, but I think we can leave with it.

Elephants, fighting must be in standing position, also a MTW limitation.

Dead bodys. Will have a new deadpage file. On the works.
    Chariots, elephants, rams, deads for all

Element UK
    most of siege machines are from fourth century BC
    First records about artillery is from 400BC Siracuse siege.
    Engines of war, 429/27 BC during the Peloponnesian War Plataea.

Brianbbj
    Yes, citadel gives that displaced flag, I will chek that.

CZoF
    chek the starpos files. I think Kom as send us new ones.

Zanderpants
    >>Also, this isn't a bug, but on the unit review panel on the campaign map, the trim on the review board covers up the unit honor and men strength when on top.
    I have worn Kom about it, the review panel base bif must be reviewed or eliminated.

Alogic
    I've been sending you pm, have you receaved it?

To all, icon bifs are'nt finished, read the read me txt of the 3.1 install.

good hunting

CHIEF DESIGNER

Hellenic Total War

Sorry for spaming, but i could not figure out how to send PM, it retured some weird error messages.

anyway, To BarkingBeagle and anyother testing/playing the Thessilians

I made a little unit stat file.

www.fflr.dk/tabletop/FN_10.pdf
    -Brian Bergh

@Brian

What does the stat-change do?

Flip:
    I figured that it was MTW's limitations, yes... getting elephants or chariots onto the screen at all is pretty astounding.

I've yet to use the battering ram, I'll give it a try as soon as I get back to my own computer. As well as start on the Thessalians. I hope to do fairly well, but have taken Brianbbj's warnings to heart.

I'll be glad of the deadpage file -- I'm-a love the elephantine elephant corpses. :
    That darn beagle

Gah, whoops... misunderstood ya, Brianbbj. It's a list of the units. Thanks, it'll prove useful.
    That darn beagle

Well my Argian campaign ended when the Athenians decided to help the Spartans. I had no ships left so there wasn't much I could do.
    I was playing a game as the Macadonians & was most impressed with the stacks the Persians had amassed.
    Persian Stacks

theres also another 20+ stacks around bottom of map

I also had LOTS of those LARGE LARGE LARGE armies around, suddenly turning up.
    As i played the Thessilians(sp?), i mostly try to sack the Pheoens i think there name is(the dark violet), east of my faction). then suddenly when i have them down to one region or two, only having 2 or 3 stacks, and i think
    "next turn im gonna finish them off", then suddenly they have 15 stacks in one turn, non of them mercenerys....amazing, then i get sacked instead....

I have sitting calculating, and something simple do not add up. my faction usualy get sacked after around 25-30 turns. HOW can the enemy produce so much in so short time?.
    Most hoplits=2 turns to produce. As i see it (and even after taking casualtys in battle), its impossible for them to produce so many units, considering the time frame. or im I mistaken?

For that Persion GIGANTIC army, I have an idea that the "golden horde" Appears by error, giving some random faction a BIG BIG BIG stack of armies suddenly....or im i also wrong about this?

To BarkingBeagle:
    You got my email at the bottom of my list, please contact me, then we can share knowledge, so instead of each giving the same bugs twice, we can talk together and make a single complete list of bugs.
    Im glad you can use the file, its rather nice to know what your factions units can do and can't

And to all you other people around, page 3 of that .pdf is the list of stats of all the different hoplites in the game (and some spear units) collected in a short hoplite-only list, so you can easly get an overview of the hoplites.

LAST MINUTE BUG:
    Storm - Cug sunk message error
    http://www.image-dump.com/view.php?m=2&x=13145

-Brian Bergh

Hi Brian,

The faction is the Aetolians & they have 2/3 islands so thats where the troops probably came from. Thats one of the problems with starting with a few ships & only 2 provinces.

edit I'd recommend getting a ship or 2 over there to sop them reinforcing from the islands.

insolent1,

Lol I have never seen a stack like that ever

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Zitat[/b] (BarkingBeagle @ Juni 01 2004,05:27)]Also, when you are playing as attacker, all of your forces are piled together in a small line, looking quite cramped. I know someone's said that already, bleh.
    I noticed the same.

I also noticed some spelling mistake:

Corinthians: Hippies Akontistes
    Akondistes: one of this must be wrong

Heavy Missle Slingers
    Light Missle Slinger: there is missing the 's'

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ElementUK @ June 01 2004,20:00)]insolent1,

Lol I have never seen a stack like that ever
    Only 28 years have been played imagine the amount they will have in 50-60 years

I agree with Brianbbj, it's probably the Golden Horde showing up. Hm.
    Anyway, I've played about thirty years of the Thessalians in the Geometric period, and I'm doing ok. Yes, I did get 'swarmed', but it was by the Thracians, and I've been able to whoop them in almost every battle I fight with them despite their superior numbers. (My AI always loses, though.~ )
    It would balance the Thracians a lot more if they started with 1 emmisary, then they could start bribing the rebels earlier and have a much better shot.
    Has anyone else noticed this bug? The Thrasian Peltasts occasionally slow down and walk at a crawl, sort of standing still with their legs wagging. It's weird.

@Brianbbj: Sure, I'll send you a mail.
    That darn beagle

Yes, you like? Member Zanderpants's Avatar

I got the same problem that BrianBBJ saw for the Thessalians with the flag on castles moved over except it's on the Argians. There're lots of typos in the Historical battle and historical campaigns. I could fix these if you wanted, just send me the files, I'm sure you guys are busy with more important things. In the historical campaign version of Chaeronea, it says that your objective is to stop Phillip's army, but you ARE Phillip's army. The polemiste seems to be too good. I've been fighting polemistes, and they fight to the last man, whereas hoplites run once they get to around 13 men. Just found that odd.

Also, I got yet another CTD on a custom battle.

(Me) Macedonia
    2 companion cavalry
    5 macedonian phalanx
    4 skythan archers

Thracians
    5 thracian spearmen
    5 Rhom-guys
    1 Thracian cavalry

Once again, no error messages. My computer's working fine and I turn off all other applications before playing.

Playing as the Corinthians, and the Thessalians have already been overun in oh, about turn 27. I've had no problems with difficulty, I overcame the Argians after a rather brutal war with the aid of the Spartans, and I've now turned on them and have crushed them. Chariots look great, but I have yet to find something that they're useful for. Also, javelins seem to do almost no damage. I've sent a hail of javelins from two full units of polemistes down on some hoplites marching uphill at me and I killed 1 of them.

That's all folks.
    "Tell a lie enough times, and it becomes truth."
    ~Joseph Goebbels
    "******* hell are you all 20 watt light bulbs...?"
    ~Abokasee

P.S Guys don't worry you are coupled in pairs to the factionsWe value all your input,so keep up the great work....

-Lord Xelous/Scipio/Thoros of Myr:Atheneans
    -Lord BloodyGore/Frodo Lives:Beotians
    -Lord Thindigital/Nicholas Newinsky III
    :Macedonians
    -Lord Uxbridge/Element UK:Lydians
    -BorisPavlovGrozny/Psyco:Persians
    -Brianbj/BarkingBeagle:Thessalians
    -Nomad/spartacus:Thracians
    -Mzocker/Zanderpants:Corinthians
    -Blind King of Bohemia/Azzole:Spartans(Lakedemonians)
    -Blackrogue/Crown of Swords:Peoneans
    -Alogic/Yonderboy:Illyrians
    -Boudicea/Insolent 1:Argians
    -Octavian/Stu:Phrigians
    -HobbyGeneral/Youone:Aetolians

CZoF

ONE thing I have noticed that the LORDZ would do well to find out how it was done.....IS...Some units start off in ' Hold Formation ' or ' Engage at Will '...Could someone pass on how that was done please....All NAP Infantry would benefit greatly from this.

Faction:Beotians
    Era:Geometric
    Unit Size: Default
    Difficulty:Expert

Played Beotians from 100-162

Found no CTD's. AI is aggressive and builds huge armies

Been having CTD's with custom games.
    Used the Athenians, Beotians, Persians, ect
    played all 3 era's,
    No upgrades, default unit size.
    No error message

Other then that, game plays great,

LBG

PS thanks CoF :D

TO BarkingBeagle

Yes, Geometric period is "no problem" if you can say it that way, there i think its fine. But try Archnic(sp?) period as start....this is here where i had the problems, as i wrote in my post, its archaic Period not Geometric.

GENERAL:
    I hope that the developers whould say something about the "golden Horde Bug"(if there is any) becouse i can not see other way that those large armies can be built in so few years, its simple does not add up when calculating.
    -Brian Bergh

I must really suck at storming a castle because I usually get slaughtered. Even if I outnumber the defenders 10 to 1 I can expect to lose about 70% of my soldiers. Most of that comes from the arrow towers and such. Even in areas that can't produce archers they have effective Arrow towers, that just seems wrong. Is there a way to lower the strength of castle defenses? Battering rams don't seem to be very effective.

I have noticed sometimes I can't move an army by boat even though I have the only ships in that area and the dock is bordering that sea area.

Other then that
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill.

Ah, ok. Should I give it a try with archaic, do you think, Brianbbj? I was just getting into the Geometric game.
    That darn beagle

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast