Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Temple

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I has another question...

What are all those buildings for??? Like the palestra (?) gym-type buildings. It says they give valor, but to whom? Same for the government estates and palaces. To whom do they bestow their valor bonuses? And the philosopher school. Is that there just for history???

I could figure these out by myself, but I haven't been in a situation to pump out buildings (my Macedonians are currently fighting the Illyian horde and I can't spare building time for things that don't help armor or units).

Thanks

Use Gnome editor or Dragon editor and have a look in the Hellenic_build_prod2 file that is in your HTW main directory.Here you have all the building info.For the units have a look in the Hellenic_unit_prod2 for further info.

Gnome is in this list:

http://www.mizus.com/Tools/Files/

Dragon is here:

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....92;st=0

CZoF

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Is there a reason why the northern tribes don't have emmesaries? It's a bit rough on them...

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Steppe Merc:

Here Here I'm playing the illirians and it is truly rough. I reduced the build-time for light chariot to 2 turns. I figure the pagans' only chance to win is in true Horde fashion----masses upon waves of troops. I usually win but with a 3:1 loss ratio; maybe more if fighting Spartan,Argian or Athenian hoplites with armour and weapon upgrades---then you need to look forward for upto a 10:1 loss ratio. At least, that has been my game play experience.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Playing as the Thracians, my army is just being devasted just fighting the Peonans in Geometric. I'm using a well rounded mix of Northern War bands and Thracians peltalts, with a strong wing of cavalry and chariots. But they outnumber me so much, I lose from 1,000 - 2,000 men each big battle. I can't find any hoplite mercs, so I have no spearmen, which doesn't help at all. I just hope my Greek allies don't invade. And once the Eastern factions finish fighting, I'm dead if they invade. Oh well, it's quite fun.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

hello, just a newbie to this particular forum, but IMO shouldn't the Spartans get a bunch of mega powered hoplites, they were like that historically. thanks GTG it's nearly midnight here

Lord of All Under Heaven Member The Sword of Cao Cao's Avatar

have you played as Sparta yet? If not try a battle with a unit of Spartan Enomotia.

Evil Sheriff Member Despot of the English's Avatar

Hello. I am a HTW newbie and would really appreciate some tips on using chariots in battle. They seem incredibly expensive so I'd like to use them properly.

Ah_dut,

I think we know about the Spartans Hoplites M8...
    The Spartans(Lakedemonians) Enomotia appear from the Pro Classical Campaign on.
    So start your campaign from there or start the Geometric period and wait...

CZoF

Hi all,

In this link you can find a first attempt to get all the units and buildings in a file.
    This is an XLS file. In the first part you get the unit information and in the second the buildings and there upgrades.

Sorry, just had a look in gnome again, yes, they are there. But i've seen them but they on the screen which doesn't provide the whole story seem to be exactly the same as other hoplites.
    Also one more point and thanks for the gr8 mod, is there any way to make spartan hoplites hold in formation for longer, to enchance their killing abilities? i believe historically, they were able to hold the linme better. So could u raise the morale and make the formation packed tighter on the move in the next release? thx gtg

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ah_dut @ July 21 2004,16:46)]Sorry, just had a look in gnome again, yes, they are there. But i've seen them but they on the screen which doesn't provide the whole story seem to be exactly the same as other hoplites.
    Also one more point and thanks for the gr8 mod, is there any way to make spartan hoplites hold in formation for longer, to enchance their killing abilities? i believe historically, they were able to hold the linme better. So could u raise the morale and make the formation packed tighter on the move in the next release? thx gtg
    They seem quite powerful. I wonder if it should take 4 years to develop a unit of spartan hoplites instead of 3.

Well initially the Spartan Enomotia had 4 years but it seem way to long. I was thinking to put real time to build units so all Hoplites have 3 Spartans have 5-6 Thebian ~4 but that was really too much. Barbarians and most Eastern units should have 2 years then.

I can’t really help how the units behave during combat it is mostly MTW stuff. But too keep them in a good formation we have reduced there charging speed to just above walking so in a charge they will have a good tight formation.

Evil Sheriff Member Despot of the English's Avatar

Never mind about those chariots. I've got it all worked out.

@kominos, what's the differance apart from cost between all the hoplites apart from the spartans, they all look a bit similar

The Spartans are Stronger more Powerful - top of the pile
    The Atheneans are Stronger than classic
    The Scared band is as Strong as the Atheneans
    The Argian Hoplite has more Armour than a classic
    the Classic is the bottom of the pile

Hi ah_dut,

Well Moody put it all down but missed one point the Thebian Secred band has a lot more moral than the rest. Please refer to this file for production data it took me some time to make it and has all the latest info.

ahh... i see i'm enlightened

Ambiguous Member Byzantine Prince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]ah_dut Posted on July 22 2004,08:14@kominos, what's the differance apart from cost between all the hoplites apart from the spartans, they all look a bit similar

They don't look the same, they have different shields my little buddy. Even if the little costumes were changed you wouldn't notice so it would be useless.

Just wanted say THANK YOU

Great job.

I have had some great battles playing as the Spartans.

All you who have worked on this Mod have done an outstanding job.

Cheers

Ok is it just me or are the persians the weakist and most useless faction around. Maybe its jsut me but they seem so infiror to the greek states in every way excpt in archers.
    my proof?

My first campian was with the Macedonian states and after a while persian armys of about 26 000 men or larger start showing up in greece. Feeling like a challange i deside to fight teh entire arm which for some reason bunchs up in indivual provinces. My 5000 some troops take on the persians on a flat battle ground and for an hour and a half i slaughter everything they send at me. No matter how many groups they send at me they manage to only kill about 500-600 of my troops before i get bored at the tedium of mascuring thousands of aperently weak units. in teh end i withdrawl my troops and find out ive killed 16 000 men on one go before i got bored.

Thinking this was just due to the shoddy computers fault i play the persian campain and get annalated by teh Athieans within 20 turns. WHAT THE HELL, I use Chariots thinking they will distroy the army only to realize they are posibly the best looking but also the worst unit in the game. bah.

Are the persians designed to be crappy just because they couldnt beat teh greeks historicly or am i just playing badly

sorry to rant and pick out things in tthis brillient mod but i thought this problem might need adressing

Capitano del Popolo Member saundersag's Avatar

Default Re: The Temple

i have been playing htw avidly however i have found that the peoneans have very limited troops. Also in the geometric era they have no exclusive troops

First off, love the mod. the biggest problem is the near infinite money every faction seems to reap. I think the problem comes from having each province have so many trade goods, with so many provinces.

I've never had to worry about money, and have built the most expensive unit I can in every province every turn. My enemies seem to be doing the same. This takes a lot of the strategy out of the game. I like to have to balance my budget and manage my army. Why would you ever build a cheaper unit in HTW, when money is never a problem. Doesn't this make skirmishers, slingers, peltasts, etc. nearly useless? Please address this soon in the next version, or allow the users to edit the income levels somehow.

Thank you!

Apparently there are many how say this so I will reduce the costs and make a small patch available for testing. Just wait a bit on that cause I am experimenting with other things at the moment.

Cathedral of Despair Member jimmyM's Avatar

It's been said alot before (probably because it's deserved), but the mod is amazing, thankyou very much. The persians sport pretty useless troops, but with the right amount of flanking+bribery of hoplite armies+use of overwhelming numbers and revenue, it can be done (the link to "persians can win" dosn't work, for some reason) and they're worth it for some very interesting looking units...
    dolce decorum est pro patria mori

Post Re: The Temple

Well this must be due to the money problem. Greeks should be fielding armies with ~8 units while Persians 16+ to make things even or close to what it used to be. At the moment is that AI makes all skirmish unit flee in the site of enemy Persians stood there ground till they were routed. This is an AI problem no one can tackle and makes life difficult with just 8 units.
    Any way I will reduce the trade income to ½ and see what happens.

I reduced all the trade gods value to half and reduced the base value of the starting privinces by half, and things are more balanced, but still a little too rich. I think if you half the base province values and reduce trade goods to 25%-50% of normal values, this mod would be much, much better.

Kom check your PM, we will build a test add-on with reduced income for the test team,if the A1 army build up is still ok we should implement it in the final version.
    Thanks Ivar for your input...

LZoF

Achilles

In which Era and which factions are the Early Roman Units.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast