Thread: the Geographica

Thumbs up

This thread is to discuss the new maps of HTW: Both: landcape and castle-maps:

What expiriences did you made with them?

Which map is your favorite?

What tactics are good for a specific map?

How to attack castles?

And if you want make screens of your favorite map(s).
    »Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Lightbulb

maps with no castle

most likely a map for that terrain and level and upgrade is missing

> castle map naming <
    SAMPLE MAP NAME (needs both files to work)
    CASTLEFLAT03_7_1.INF
    CASTLEFLAT03_7_1.JJM

castle maps have the following attributes
    > 3 terrain types <
    flat, hilly and plains

> groups <
    i recommend 5 groups to ensure game does not miss
    (game works on 4 groups as default, so 5 insures it wont miss on default)

> levels <
    how many levels of castle are there? (in the tech tree)
    you need 5 maps for each level

> upgrades <
    how many upgrades on each level
    you need 5 maps for each upgrade on each level

this name
    CASTLEFLAT03_7_1.JJM
    MEANS
    a castle on FLAT terrain
    it is castle GROUP number 03
    it is a level 7 CASTLE (in the tech tree)
    it has level 1 UPGRADE (for a level 7 castle)

it is pretty straight forward,
    the hard part was figuring out what all the numbers DO.

need more data?
    contact me,
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

is it possible to make the spartan acropolis unwalled, but still difficult to capture.
    thanks,
    dessa
    {LORE}
    "It is not the well-being of individuals that makes cities great, but the well-being of the community"- Niccolò Machiavelli.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Default Re: the Geographica

Thanks for some superb mapping guys. Sometimes I just pan around rather than take interest in the battles, he he! A general suggestion though;
    On some very mountainous maps both the AI and the player gets really difficult starting positions and in some case one have to use waypoints to withdraw units and this is not good at all since one have to focus on the battle rather than guiding units off the map. I remember especially one map: mountain/ river, where you enter to the left of a huge mountain - just one on this map. Then you have to go round the mountain to the right to get to a bridge on the right side of the map. When delpoyed at the bridge and withdrawing units they go to my right into a corner of the river and the mountain that´s behind me, and can´t get off. Another map is a superb mount/ inland map with a huge pass and a shelf you can climb to get to the defenders upper plateau by a village. This map is a nightmare to get units off but simply one of the best looking maps I´ve ever played... jikes!

BTW, mant Island ports are shown in one sea-square but the entry is in another. Ex: N Cyclads port is in the Aegean sea but the entry is in the cycladic sea. Sporades port is in Aegean sea but entry in W Aegean sea etc.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

1. AI-siege stupidity;
    Due to the complex and elaborate fortifications in this epic mod the AI has real problems with understanding how to proced.
    Ex: All your castle-maps have an inner and outer walls, right?! When the AI is besieging you he usually sends forward one, or a couple of units, and starts hacking at the wall - not the gate - which is futile if it´s made out of stone.
    So I just sigh and put the speed-dslider to max... and win the siege although outnumbered 1:10 with no casualities.
    The AI doesn´t seem to understand this "double-fortification-thing" you´ve confronted him with. Therefore I edited a castlemap and took away the inner fortification and... voila´! The siege is running perfectly. The AI always goes for the gate, smashes it down and pursue you. I therefore argue, no matter how great a double wall looks, that you seriously consider taking away all theese double-walls for game-play purposes.

2. Super-elaborate maps;
    Some of the maps are truly works of art but it leads to some serious problems.
    Ex; Some mountainous battle-maps has such steep elevation that it would take a professional mountain-climber to get up there. To do it with an army is ridicolus.
    Now, I know that the landscape sometimes looks like this in real-life which is fine but ask yourself: If you were a general, would you lead your troops up a mountainside with a 90 degree angle, through a narrow pass, with the enemy at the top raining death from their archers?
    Sometimes at war you have to fight where you encounter the enemy no matter how bad you stance may be but most of the time, especially in the time-frame of HTW, battles was fought at pre-choosen locations like plains etc where and army could be manouvered. Ok, ok I know the Greek hoplites held of the Persians in a narrow moutain-pass thus slaugthering the Persians so some maps like theese are in order.

My suggestion is that you re-work some of the battle-maps: reduce elevation, make more room to manouvere, adjust maps to starting positions etc to enhance playability even more to this superb mod.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

There are some awesome maps in this mod, and I bet I haven't played on them all yet...

I really love the 'mountain retreat', with a village high in a steep pass. I stormed the Phrygians in there, along with my Aetolian allies. Boy, was it messy, but great fun.... As my allies were played by the AI of course they supplied all the beef, and I could concentrate on my skirmishing skills.

There's also a good wooded valley map I like, excellent for ambushes. And a nice coastal map that has a small peninsula that makes for a great scenario (slave rebels outnumbered me 3:1, but my Phalanx held tight on the causeway as my slingers picked off the enemy from their unflankable position...)

Great maps, and with such interesting terrain you have to think more before moving your troops. Definitely my favourites so far (cf MTW and STW). Well done guys!
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Thank you :)

Here are some pics of the landscapes.

»Erzähle, Wandrer, wenn du nach Sparta kommst, daß wir, seinen Gesetzen gehorsam, hier gefallen sind.«

CHIEF ARCHITECT

visit our HTW website