Thread: Could TC work in America??

Lightbulb Could TC work in America??

I just want an opinion from the community.
    I personally think that it would be a good show in America. Probably on the History Channel or Discovery.

And besides...look at all the shows that the American networks have "stolen" from the BBC.

All Around the House
    While You Were Out
    and of course.....Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

Anyhow....think it'd work in the states???

-Soul
    I don't wanna get off on a rant here but............That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Command, come in. Have arrived in Venice, streets filled with water. Please advise.

Resident Lurker

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

Default Re: Could TC work in America??

I think it would work here, yeah. Though I think that if they did it here, they would change it and make it two teams facing off against each other.

What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Yeah that is what I was thinking too.

-Soul
    I don't wanna get off on a rant here but............That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Command, come in. Have arrived in Venice, streets filled with water. Please advise.

Resident Lurker

And it would be like that Food Wars show or whatever on Food Network (not Iron Chef) where they have like, a team of fire men face off against a team of police officers. The show would have themed teams and stuff like that.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

It would be cool! It would great to see 2v2 groups match off. How would you organize the battles? Historical, or let the players draw and choose?

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBlademan
    It would be cool! It would great to see 2v2 groups match off. How would you organize the battles? Historical, or let the players draw and choose?

Possibly the weaker army somehow gets more technical info on troops/tactics/ using the terrain or some kind of helper that would make it less lopsided
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

TC would definitely work in the States, in fact when I watch the disappointingly shallow and dull Decisive Battles show I find myself yearning for TC with its incompetent teams, Eddie Mair's sarcasm and Aryeh Nusbacher's color commentary.

I would also prefer to see two teams go head to head but then you might need two hosts for better coverage. That would also be more expensive than the one team model used in TC.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Yeah. That Nuesbacher guy really knows his stuff and he's entertaining as hell if ya ask me. I would actually LIKE to sit in on one of his lectures at RMA Sandhurst, then again I'm a war history buff.

In a $$$$$ point of view the production cost of having 2 teams would probably be astronomical. I'd be hella' fun tho to be on a team. Or even be a behind the scenes controler of the enemy army.

Oh....the bloodshed of the incopentent teams of rookies that have NO understanding of how the game works. Not to mention they have no grasp of tatical movement. The thing that makes me laugh at the teams on Time Commanders is that they would sometimes charge up to the battle or the ongoing melee and then.........STOP SHORT AND WALK TO THE FIGHT.
    I sit and watch and say.....

"OMFG...what are you DOING???"

And then I laugh at the stunned faces of the team
    "Why are we getting slaughtered??"
    "I dunno'."

LOL

-Soul

Resident Lurker

heh, you're right SeveredSoul, but ya know what ? It would be interesting to know exactly how much leeway the ppl behind the scene give the teams...i.e. is the enemy played by the AI or by humans (the technicians, the ones shown or others) ?

Spoiler ahead, highlight to read.

Because I just watched Bibracte, and though outnumbered 2:1, the team, playing romans, won easily (IMO), even after stupidly splitting its forces in 2 (two) (!!), and having ALL of their light inf and missile troops (and some cav), slaughtered while the heavy inf (legionaries) were sitting half a mile away playing with their rubber duckies...
    AND they didn't notice the ambush force, but even that didn't make any difference at all...
    It really seemed to me like they would have won no matter what, although they kept saying all the time how the romans were kinda scared of the big bad painted Gauls, and that they were afraid that the gauls might have been better one on one, and so on and so forth.
    Yet with a decent amount of flanking and charging at the roman legions, the gauls never even once managed to break through, or rout one of the legions...
    did anyone else think that was a bit weird, and maybe whoever was playing the Gauls just let the team win or something ? because even if the AI is no more intelligent than in MTW, it would still have won that battle easily...
    I mean, think about it: they decimate half of the roman troops; sure, they take some losses in the process; then they all gang up on the remainder of the romans (the ratio being some 3:1 or 4:1 by now); they also spring to attack them from an ambush; and YET they don't manage to rout one single roman unit, or break their line, even though they are flanking some of the cohorts, and manage to lose the freaking battle... hello ? what am i missing here ?
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

You are right, I found that one very strange and wierd. The only thing I can think of is that maybe since half of the Gaul army had fought uphill while destroying the light units, they may have tired themselves out. And it was really dumb how they drummed up that whole ambush force, and when they finaly came, they just turned a cohort around to meet it and that was that.

lol

I know, they had some 3 cav and 3 inf in that ambush force, and they got them out in 2 waves (why not all at once to overwhelm the romans ?) and yeah, one or two cohorts not only stopped them, but actually beat them back !
    I didn't watch all episodes yet, but I gotta tell ya, this was the weirdest one.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I would also enjoy Nusbachers lecturs, if he gave any in America.

But there are certain problem that the network (par say ABC) must accomplish.

Get the right to use RTW as a engine,
    Hire a commentor,
    Hire those lieutenant guys who work the computers (or get volunteers),
    hire prominent (or at least knowlegable) military historians,
    Hire scouts to find the people though auditions,
    hire television crews,
    reserve the studio,
    and then hope for good ratings!

SOOO, with all that in mind, it could take a good deal of money, and then have all the promotions for it.

coalcoalcoal
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

hmm, if BBC2 could do it...I would venture so far as to say that ABC should have at least the same amount of resources, otherwise, they might as well resign ;)

Heh...I watch BBC America.

I LOVE British programing
    All you crazy buggers make me laugh

-Soul

Resident Lurker

Haha, my mom used to be addicted to East Enders, and when I was in high school I would watch that one about the department store (Are you being served i think is the name) it is funny shit!

lol

Yeah
    "Are You Being Served" is great
    Even better is "Fawlty Towers" John Cleese is the best

-Soul

Resident Lurker

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I liked Keeping Up Apperances, but Are you Being Served is great. I also like Last of the Summer Wine.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

I hear that "eastenders" is a good show
    Only problem is that I can't see it on BBC America (at least I don't think it's on BBC-A)

But I do see a bit of a perview of an Eastenders show in one of the Time Commanders movies.

Ah well

-Soul

Resident Lurker