Thread: Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 planned

Default Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 planned

Linky. My apathy is astounding. Thief in a more modern setting (whatever that is supposed to mean) and Deus Ex: More Hype, both titles intended as multiformat wonders. W00t.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Default Re: Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 planned

I wonder how Thief 4 will be. Rob Dyer does have a point though; going on about the medieval period with Garret could make it a bit repetitive, maybe it's time for something new. But it should keep the atmosphere of the other Thief titles and not make it Splinter Cell-like, still some unearthly fantasy (not too much undead etc though!). Not saying that Splinter Cell wasn't a good game, along with it's follow-up Pandora Tomorrow, they sure were i.m.o.

"Deus Ex: Invisible War was a good game with solid reviews, but not enough people bought it.
    The reviews were wrong. It absolutely sucked. Maybe they will go back to the old Deus Ex(yeah right)

And a more modern Thief? It's already pretty modern(recordings, electricity, steam engines). And how do they plan to do this? Changes to the police, military, political system don't happen over night.I guess they could wait a few decades,
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Have the kid that tried to pick Garrets pocket at the end of T3
    as the star and Garret as an advisor. They wouldn't get rid of Garret completely, would they?

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by discovery1
    The reviews were wrong. It absolutely sucked. Maybe they will go back to the old Deus Ex(yeah right)
    Awww it wasn't that bad, I had a blast playing DE:IW. It is deus-ex lite, but the story had me more then hooked and it was just too cool to see what happened with the people from the first. It also a few fascinating characters, like that pilot Ava Johnson with that creepy voice. The Versalife base on Antartica was better then any level in the first one, so bloody scary and athmospheric that was. What REALLY hurt the game is that it had deus-ex in it's name, improving on one of the best games ever is no easy task, and they failed no doubt, but the utmost hostility towards DE:IW is undeserved imo.

About Thief4......give us an editor instead, the Thief series was concluded with part 3. Thief 3 wasn't really that good (but the Cradle mission is breathtaking), but it would be interesting to see what the community would come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by discovery1
    I'm going to have to agree here. Deus Ex:IW was an abomination against mankind that should never have been. Graphics weren't too impressive, poor storyline (compared to the first), not very challenging and awkward movement. The problem with it was that you just dont care about the characters. There was not enough time to get to know any of the characters in the game well. Deus Ex 1 was without a doubt the best game I have ever played, so it had quite a lot to live up to, but porting it over to X-Box and optimizing for that platform was a horrible mistake. Here's hoping that it goes back to the first.
    CHIVALRY TOTAL WAR - A medieval mod for RTW
    http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/

Counter-Strike Master Member eadeater's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 planned

I take a very firm stance on Deus Ex 2. There is no way they can justify making it, in my opinion. Deus Ex 1 is my favourite game and it was as close to being perfect as it needed to be - but there was still a small amount of room for improvement. By making Deus Ex 2, the developers undertook an impossible task - to improve what was already almost perfect. The only way to improve Deus Ex would be to bring out an expansion - correcting a few flaws and so on. Of course Deus Ex 2 generated a lot of hype (what did they expect?) and when it came out - it wasn't up to scratch. Sure, it wasn't a bad game as such, but it wasn't good, and being the successor to Deus Ex made it a bad game - a disappointment in my eyes.
    All that the Invisible War has done is made me appreciate Deus Ex more - and look forward to Deus Ex 3 less.
    "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the armies of the north; general of the Felix legions and loyal servant of the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son. Husband to a murdered wife; and I WILL have my vengence, in this life or the next."

This news makes me ill and only reinforces my opinion that most marketing people are clueless and/or incapable of original thought.

There is a chance though, however slim, that Ion Storm could learn from the mistakes it made in DX:IW and bring DX3 back to the original formula that made DX so successful. Fat chance I say. But based on the awful reception gamers gave DX:IW Ion Storm simply has to realize that they cannot pull that same sort of crap twice in a row.

However, to bring the Thief series out of its unique Medieval/'Steampunk' age is utter blasphemy. Loyals fans of the series will avoid Thief IV like the plague. The last thing you do with 'specialized' games like the Thief series is alienate your fan base! Expect T4 to bomb in a most spectacular fashion.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

If they take Thief out of it's medieval context just call it something else, there is no way that they can make a thief game without the thief universe. I wonder how Eidos will keep the Thief spirit alive after sacking the original crew; I think I would be less frustrated waiting for the messias then waiting for a developer as brilliant as looking glass. Ah well we still have a lesser god with Monolith.

btw who owns the System shock license?
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-30-2004 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Athlete
    I'm going to have to agree here. Deus Ex:IW was an abomination against mankind that should never have been.
    i third this motion. Deus Ex: IW was blasphemous, sacreligious, treasonous heresy. and that's if one is describing it in a kind way.

unless they put Warren Spector in charge of all future Deus Ex games then i will not even consider touching them with a 15 ft pole

They were complete idiots to make it a console game. I mean come on, Deus Ex is met for the PC, not the consoles. May the heathens burn.
    Proud member of {LORE}

"It is often merely for an excuse that we say things are impossible."

Francois de La Rochefoucauld