Thread: Your favorite PC game ever.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your favorite PC game ever.

Simple: post what you consider your favorite PC game ever and list your reasons. If you have a hard time thinking something up, a good way to judge is how often did you play the game? Were you good at it? Did it challenge you? Did it have a satisfactory ending in its story line? Did you like the online community? Did it have good replay value?

For me personally, I'd probably have to go with Empire Earth. The game is dated now, but out of all the games I've ever played it probably kept me occupied the longest amount of time, I played almost nothing but EE and its expansion for an entire year. In fact, I DIDN'T play anything but EE and its expansion for an entire year. In this game I feel I can honestly say I had a large amount of skill, in the last single player campaign the online community was hard-pressed to discover an easy way to beat it (especially the last level) and after playing multiplayer for a bit I beat the entire thing with relative ease. I won at the very least a 2:1 ratio online against a fairly small community, and I played it constantly. I have not yet had any such experience with any other game and I doubt I ever will again.

Default Re: Your favorite PC game ever.

What I was best at and played the most was:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3
    Grand Theft Auto (the first one)
    Quake
    Shogun: Total War (+MI)
    America's Army
    Enemy Engaged Comanche Vs Hokum
    Alien Vs Predator (I&II)
    Operation Flashpoint
    Morrowind (+expansions)

All these games shared the factor that it didn't get old or boring. It always develops, whether it is in SP or MP. Obviously quake didnt change much in SP but in MP it was what I played most on LAN parties back in the day.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Smile Re: Your favorite PC game ever.

DOOM

It was the first game i ever played and remember playing it for months when i first got it. It was even more fun when the PS version came out and I could play a link up game with a friend.

Can't wait till my copy of DOOM3 comes out

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

I played star wars supremacy for ever when it came out. I think it really got me into strategy games. I was so dissapointed they never followed it up.

And then Shogun came out....and the rest they say is history...
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Floating through the net... Member King Edward's Avatar
    Guernsey, A small sea weed covered rock in the English Channel

UFO Enemy Unknown (X-com) is my fave game ever! Good story, good guns, good aliens, good music, good FUN!!!

does anyone know how to get it to run on XP?? is it even possible??
    Chelsea - Simply Champions!

RTK4Flintoff in multi-player

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Sid Meier's Pirates!

I played it forever on my Amiga 500 and then occasionally
    on other machines using emulators.
    Can't wait till it comes again for PC at the end of the year.
    The story/ gameplay is fantastic. You could sail the Caribbian for hours and days. Naval combat, fencing, governors daughters, the Silver Train, evil Spaniards hunting you. All the stuff from great pirate movies.

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

BG2 - definitely one of the best RPGs I ever played - epic story, memorable NPCs, polished D&D game system

HOMM 3 - the epitome of the "one-more-turn" syndrome IMO - easy to learn game mechanics but still challenging with lots of replay value to do the variety of factions and lots of downloadable maps; great combination of strategic map and tactical battl ... too bad that HOMM 4 did not live up to it (I keep my fingers crossed for HOMM 5)

Tie Fighter - excellent space combat game with great mission design, good variety of spacecrafts, very good Star Wars feeling ... I still play it from time to time (nothing beats flying Ties for the Empire)

KOTOR - great RPG, fantastic use of the Star Wars license (better than the new movies)

M:TW/S:TW - no praise necessary here - I just like to point out that this is the only game for which I actually joined a gaming forum (!)

Some older games that I do not play anymore due to their age but which I played until my eyes turned red when they were up-to-date:
    - Bard's Tale
    - Dungeonmaster
    - Star Wars: Rebellion (although some potential had been wasted there)
    - Star Wars: Dark Forces
    - Doom
    - Eye of the Beholder
    - Fantasy General

And of course I am sure I missed a couple of my favourites

Edited to add some more details.
    Last edited by Ser Clegane; 08-10-2004 at 15:51.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Edward
    UFO Enemy Unknown (X-com) is my fave game ever! Good story, good guns, good aliens, good music, good FUN!!!

does anyone know how to get it to run on XP?? is it even possible??
    Yeah, I got it to work. But you need a recent version, not the original - I downloaded one from the Gamer's Lounge; there's probably been a recent commercial release (eg in a compilation). IIRc, there were some other twists - a google search should throw them up; re-post if you oursue this & get stuck.

What did I do? Member Lonewarrior's Avatar

Wink Re: Your favorite PC game ever.

I don't have one yet. That's my reason.
    "Never rely on the glory of the morning nor the smiles of your mother-in-law."-Japanese Proverb

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

The game that took over my life the most was gabriel knight 3
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I really liked the idea of Rebellion, but the system is really convoluted. I wish I knew how to play well! I always sputter out of resources midway through. Being able to build Super Star Destroyers though...that was cool. Is anyone here good at Rebellion that could help me?
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

I too love Star Wars:Rebellion, although I always won battles thru superior forces, not tactics. Not very good at that in 3d space. Any tips would be appreciated. Defenately in my top 10. I also love the TWs(all for now), Deus Ex, and HoI. What difficulty did you play(for rebellion)? I never had resources problems, though that was on easy. I tended to use an agressive program of exploration and colonization in the outter rim. And base ur probes off starships that u move from sector to sector, but be sure to scout the planet you plan to orbit ur ship around b4 moving. Wouldn't want to have ur lone starship wander into the jaws of a powerful enemy force, would you?

Edit:I once found a moder for it called RebEd. I used it to give the imps acess to the bulk freighter which really speeded up the colonization process. Another good tactic to do is to rush sabotage all the constrction yards yu have no plans for controlling.
    Last edited by discovery1; 09-03-2004 at 05:55.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.