Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favorite PC game ever.

Default Re: Your favorite PC game ever.

I really liked the idea of Rebellion, but the system is really convoluted. I wish I knew how to play well! I always sputter out of resources midway through. Being able to build Super Star Destroyers though...that was cool. Is anyone here good at Rebellion that could help me?
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Mad Professor Senior Member Hurin_Rules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    Favourite PC game ever would have to be Panzer General. The first computer game I ever got - swallowed several years of my gaming time. I loved the detail of the units - having the PzJager I, Czech tanks and early war allied planes etc as well as the more common standbys. The mechanics of how to play was so easy (click to select, click to move or attack) and yet fun (combined arms, unit match ups, supply etc all important). The "hook" through the campaigns of earning prestige, buying a core, watching it gain experience and upgrading its kit was amazingly addictive (TW could improve on this). The scenarios were inspired - epics like Norway 1940, the Balkans 1941 and Kiev captured the heart of the key WW2 operations without getting the player bogged down.

Now it does not have too much replay value - the difficulty plummets in a campaign after a few campaigns. Subsequent games in the series were better balanced in this respect and so hold up better now, but can't match the epic qualities of the original.
    Yeah, I loved that game too. I though Allied General and PG II were pretty good too though. Why they made PG III I'll never know.
    "I love this fellow God. He's so deliciously evil." --Stuart Griffin

I too love Star Wars:Rebellion, although I always won battles thru superior forces, not tactics. Not very good at that in 3d space. Any tips would be appreciated. Defenately in my top 10. I also love the TWs(all for now), Deus Ex, and HoI. What difficulty did you play(for rebellion)? I never had resources problems, though that was on easy. I tended to use an agressive program of exploration and colonization in the outter rim. And base ur probes off starships that u move from sector to sector, but be sure to scout the planet you plan to orbit ur ship around b4 moving. Wouldn't want to have ur lone starship wander into the jaws of a powerful enemy force, would you?

Edit:I once found a moder for it called RebEd. I used it to give the imps acess to the bulk freighter which really speeded up the colonization process. Another good tactic to do is to rush sabotage all the constrction yards yu have no plans for controlling.
    Last edited by discovery1; 09-03-2004 at 05:55.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight
    Don't you love how the emporer blames you when his mission fails

"You have failed to support me adaquately on this mission, hisssssss"
    Yes, I remember that. I could always imagine him sat in the corner of a cheap bar trying to recruit people. Vader was always better at that, probably because he is cooler than a rotting corpse-a-like emperor.

I always loved getting death stars; I used them as aircraft carriers. The superlaser was a nice way to take out the rebel's flagship, but the real appeal was the masses of TIE defenders you could cram inside the hanger bays.

EDIT: I don't remember what difficulty I played on...easy and normal, I think, with maybe one game on hard. I think I found it boring on hard. I also won through might rather than tactics, I was never convinced tactics really worked, aside from basics like taking down the most dangerous ships first.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 09-03-2004 at 09:01.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin_Rules
    Yeah, I loved that game too. I though Allied General and PG II were pretty good too though. Why they made PG III I'll never know.
    They did: called it something like PG3: Allied Assault and then PG3: Scorched Earth. I bought the former but never got into it. They made it 3D, so it played very slowly. They also reduced the number of units, made the gameplay very frustrating (units not in contact with the enemy automatically came back to full strength) and switched the emphasis from units gaining experience to leaders gaining experience. Pg3:SE is supposed to be better, but it seems Pg2 is the iteration that has the greatest longevity (lots of mods still being made).

Me as well had the same problem with pzIII. I could not play it for more than few days.
    While to be able to play Panzer General I've created a partition on it's own, installing win 98.
    Is it madness, or what?
    Paperi si nasce

What did I do? Member Lonewarrior's Avatar

Cool Re: Your favorite PC game ever.

Ya found it. Its the first ever Prince of Persia. It was back in the 1980's, I think I was 5 years old when I started playing it. But 2 years later, some bastards : stole the computers where I used to play it. Never seen it ever since.
    "Never rely on the glory of the morning nor the smiles of your mother-in-law."-Japanese Proverb

Legitimate Businessman Member Teutonic Knight's Avatar
    My legitimate mansion bought with legitimate monies.

Wow, and all this time I jad no idea I was hanging around such like-minded people!!

My favorite tactic on rebellion was also to find a planet in the outer rim with 9 or 10 energy blocks and to make that entirely advanced shipyards, that way I could churn out so many star destroyers and fighters I became unstoppable. I once had 5 death stars patrolling the galaxy!

Morrowind!!!!!!!
    "talking poo is where I draw the line"-Eric Cartman
    Long live the resistance.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

The game that took over my life the most was gabriel knight 3
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12