Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments and Suggestions

Default Comments and Suggestions

If you have any comments or suggestions please feel free to post them here.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die Member Axeknight's Avatar

Default Re: Comments and Suggestions

The Empire of the Frog expands.

How about a similar thread to the 'How to use Horse Archers' from MTW guides? Or even expand that to 'How to use...' light infantry, phalanxes, cavalry, legionaries etc?
    However, I know nothing about anyting.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arrow Re: Comments and Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Axeknight
    How about a similar thread to the 'How to use Horse Archers' from MTW guides? Or even expand that to 'How to use...' light infantry, phalanxes, cavalry, legionaries etc?
    I think you are missing the point of 'combined arms'. Phalanxes themselves are easy to use: just march towards the enemy, lower your spears and start poking. But to use them effectivily you need to support them with other unit types. And that is part of a complete battlefield guide, not one dedicated to one unit type. Horse archers got a guide of their own because they work relativily independently from the rest of the army (though they still require support to be effective) and they need a bit more care than most other units. Also, not everyone was able to find out how they should be used. None of these three arguments apply on 'ordinary units' and anyone who had read a good battlefield guide should be able to work out how they should be used.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Rock 'n' Roll Will Never Die Member Axeknight's Avatar

Good point, Ludens. I still say another Horse Archer guide would be a good idea, but you're right.

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

Could we also have guides for nonplayable factions? Pretty much everyone modded it so we can play as them, so it makes sense to have guides for them to.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

Yes, we can add a thread for the other factions too. If someone can post a complete list of the factions to be added that would be great; I'm still finishing my first mini campaign ...
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Never mind; I stumbled across a list while looking for something else.

Were can I get ahold of the "mods" to play as other factions. I still dont understand why we were only allowed 3 factions that are just about the same , that really disappoints me

Hi Frog and Kukri,

Request: Can you guys or any other mods move my post entitled "A Quick Strategic Map Guide & Primer to RTW" (from the Colosseum) to this section (RTW Guides).

Thx

jbluvchild, check this topic for details of both the unlocking system and a link to the mod.

Quietus, I'll PM the Colosseum mods.

Hi
    pls help me
    maybe this sounds stupid but i read in the rome TW manual that it is possible to play other factions then the three roman ones. and i read some guides about other factions in this forum as well. BUT HOW DO I PLAY THESE OTHER FACTIONS???? =) when i start singleplayer campain i can only choose between the three roman houses.
    am i just stupid or is it really that difficult?

To unlock the other factions you need to finish any of the Roman campaigns on any difficulty; even an easy/easy short campaign will do. I did it on normal/normal with the Julii short campaign.

Thank You :)

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Comments and Suggestions

Another suggestion: a thread with links to other guides. There is no need to restrict this forum to contributions of Org members. We could start with the Gamespy guide and add new ones as they become available.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I have added a topic for links to outside pages and tools. You can advertise the Gamespy guide there.

Hi,

I just wanted to give those kind enough to write these guides a biggie-sized vote of thanks. Whether one is experienced or not, it's always valuable to read another's strategies. Heck, it's almost as much fun to read about R:TW as it is to play. (Or mod.)
    Write, edit. I've got the pen.
    V'ger gone.

Hi Froggie and Kukri (nice rhyme ),

Could you peeps "sticky" my post "A Quick Strategic Map Guide & Primer"? (Since update rate is very variable unlike the faction guides; I've just posted part 3 of my Julii argument btw).

Thx!

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Ludens;

The principles of your M:TW horse archer guide still apply. If anything, HA are much easier to use in R:TW because of:

1. Deployment, even if you are attacking.
    2. The ability to wheel, changing the facing of your unit.
    3. The "-/+" system for extending your line or drawing it in.
    4. Skirmish mode seems to work properly.

The unit is much easier to handle now, IMO
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Horse archers are good now, but as before, beware massed foot archers.
    The Duck

Although plans don't survive contact with the enemy,
    they help focus the mind!

Plan. Improvise as needed.

Member Member Koguryo_hotpocket's Avatar

Old Alt+left click!!1

Maintaining the face of gruop: definally, we need this. Remember when units were fromed in agroup, how did Alt+leftclick on the ground worked in Medieval and shogun? They kept their facing while they were moving(in both going forward, or backward).

It was so useful for both archers and infantaries when they made 'shoot and run' move. Now, in RTW, archers are much stronger, and they are taking much bigger part in the game. We need a move something like Alt+leftclick to use skirmash.

right now, we are using right-click-drag to step back our archers, and it's so annoying. : furious3:
    Last edited by Koguryo_hotpocket; 10-30-2004 at 12:20.

Hi

Does anyone have a list of 'cheat' codes?

Thanks
    WE WILL RIDE INTO ROME!

Froggy,
    great work. Again.

Are you planning on adding more threads for a more in-depth look at specific topics? I suggest you add threads for :

-Population
    -Public order and rebellions
    -Trade
    -Diplomacy
    -Spies and Assassins
    -Family tree management
    -Naval battles
    -Tips and Cheats

I checked the table of contents, and it only has links to factions strategies.

just my 2 cents.
    The plural of anectode is not data - Anonymous Scientist

I don't believe in superstition. It brings bad luck. - Umberto Eco

A list of retinues, traits, and vices might be helpful later, though while I would try to build up a list of my own, I don't know how to find them all besides just trying to get them all.

All these server troubles have me running days behind :(

afrit, er, good question. The idea with this forum is to try and keep all the topics on one page so this does limit the number we can have. There's also the issue of having repeating information. I am trying to get complete/in-depth guides to a few of those areas in my own guide. Tamur has handled diplomacy very well with help from others; he has his own sticky thread over in the RTW forum. I suppose I could add a link to that in our TOC even though it's outside this forum. Tips so far have been broken up between all the topics in here. Um, it's actually quite an awkward question to answer.

Also I need to update the TOC, thanks for reminding me.

Default Senate guide????

There seems to be guides for everyone apart from the Senate. Im of the understanding that this faction can be unlocked. Has anyone played as the Senate?

There seems to be guides for everyone apart from the Senate. Im of the understanding that this faction can be unlocked. Has anyone played as the Senate?
    The senate has a number of bugs, not the least the fact that there are no senate missions for anyone if you play as the senate, so the romans find it hard to expand.

Some people over at the Colosseum have suggested a "Rebels/Slaves" thread to discuss the unique challenges this (modded) faction presents. Any ideas?
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Yeah, understand about it being buggy as the game was never designed with playing as SPQR in mind (or the rebels for that matter). However, ivve heard people say that as long as you dont do certain things (eg: click on senate missions tab while playing as senate) then you can avoid crashes.

So playing as Senate means the roman factions find it hard to expand? What a shame... makes for a challenging game, and at least you probably wont have to worry about the other Roman factions knocking at romes gates demanding entry.

Maybe someone should give it a go and write a peice for this forum... or maybe i will do once im finished with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.... what a fun game. ;-) Im no expert at R:TW though so dont expect a report based on a game lasting more than 50 years or so before i get my nether regions kicked by Carthage\Gaul\Germania etc unless i play on easy.

[new member sorry if not relevant 2 topic] a simple way of modding... iv found that if you open the export unit description folder in data fldrs, you can add any unit of any faction to your own by simply highlighting all the text from soldier type down to costs, then cut & copy from another unit & swap around to your hearts content. note:
    youll still have the original pictures & descriptions in game unless u edit them aswell. i gave greeks cataphract & cat' archers & selucid legeons, i won o so easy even against advanced romans [i also changed spartans from 40 to 60 men] but good fun!
    Last edited by archdruid; 12-01-2004 at 16:42.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

There was some opinions about getting a "rebel" guide. Rebel is a perfectly playable faction and I think it is actually very fun and challenging. You get to play a lot of different (crap) units and your morale is always at the bottom because you don't have any family member from the start.

how do you play as the rebels?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast