Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Comments and Suggestions

Default Re: Comments and Suggestions

Rebel campaign, I got bored of that very quickly but I did wonder why only 19 guides were here, out of the 21 factions available to play. Ok 20, the Senate is buggy if you try to play it.

It is kind of boring without useful diplomats, or the possibility of alliances/trade rights. But you've gotta admit, stacking spies into cities and causing them to rebel with sabotage is fun!

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker!
    Okay make it that say a persion was doing guide for brutii,v3.0 he would say in his post.simple as that. that cutting down threads etc.

Man I do a lot of explaining
    What frogbeastegg is trying very politely to say is: we're not going to implement that suggestion at this time.

We agree that it is a good idea, generally, and salute you for that. But actually putting it into practice (and doing it well, so readers can make sense of it) will take more time and effort that we have available at this moment. So it goes on the list of "good ideas to work on, when we have time".

BTW, congrats on your move to full Member.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

[Insertwittytitlehere] Member Copperhaired Berserker!'s Avatar

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I've gave some good reasons through

If I was smart, I would have a witty punchline in this sig that would make everyone ROTFL.

I'm not smart.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    OK, let's take this suggestion first: guides for hosted mods.
    Questions:
    -Who would write those Guides?
    -One for each of the 8 current Org-hosted mods?
    -What about other non-Org-hosted mods?
    -Many of the mods are still under development, write a Guide for the proposed mod anyway?
    Sorry for not being crystal clear regarding my whole idea. I just wanted 1. to see if this was a feat that could be implemented under the guides section. 2. if not then under each respective mods own forum and managed by the modders themselves. So to answer your Q´s:

1. Dedicated gamers (like myself) and the mods own crew ofcourse.
    2. Yes.
    3. Ok by me but I suggested the hosted ones because they already have their own forums.
    4. Ofcourse not. You can´t write a guide for a non-existing mod. I don´t know actually why you even bother to state that Q as an argument.

As FBE states my suggestion would take too much of the mods time and resources which I cleraly see. Couldn´t each hosted mod have one thread openly editable to every member? Is this doable FBE?

I'll answer point by point, for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by PseRamesses
    Sorry for not being crystal clear regarding my whole idea. I just wanted 1. to see if this was a feat that could be implemented under the guides section. 2. if not then under each respective mods own forum and managed by the modders themselves. So to answer your Q´s:

1. Dedicated gamers (like myself) and the mods own crew ofcourse.
    Mods have a much more limited user base than the vanilla version of the game, and out of all the people registered and posting here about the vanilla game only a small portion post here in guides. So with a smaller user base you might only get a handful of people. That is a bigger problem than it might sound, unless you are going to do something like mine or Quietus' guides. That only really needs one person and a few hundred hours. Some of the existing vanilla threads are virtually graveyard quiet.

2. Yes.
    How many of those mods are currently playable? I admit I don't keep up to date with them, but I can't think of any which are available to the general public. I know EB is approaching beta. Until the mods are playable there is no need for a guide.

3. Ok by me but I suggested the hosted ones because they already have their own forums.
    For any mod with an existing forum here it would probably be best to go with your second idea from above and file the guides with the mod itself. It would keep all the information together, and receive more awareness from people with the mod. But you'd have to approach the relevant people for those forums.

The other popular mods, such as RTR and SPQR, come back to the same problems Kukri and I outlined before. They don't have their own forums here, so the chance to offset those problems is not available.

4. Ofcourse not. You can´t write a guide for a non-existing mod. I don´t know actually why you even bother to state that Q as an argument.
    A slight misunderstanding, I think. When Kukri said proposed mod he meant the ones which have been put forward for having guides; incomplete but playable mods.

As FBE states my suggestion would take too much of the mods time and resources which I cleraly see. Couldn´t each hosted mod have one thread openly editable to every member? Is this doable FBE?
    I've asked TosaInu. It would require mod type powers, so at the least it would need a repeat of the arrangement in place over in the hosted mod forum with a normal user granted a few moderator type powers. Alternatively it would be a new AM or moderator, possibly more than one.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Thanks for your time and effort FBE, as always you´re so helpful. It´s a pity this idea isn´t gonna work since I see a zillion Q´s and posts in the forums regarding tips, tricks, explanations to the existing mods. Take care!

Hi, Ive downoaded RTW (up through 5.1) and the game starts, but it only lets me choose the prologue. THis was fine, but it doesnt let me actually PLAY the prologue, just sends me back to the startup screen. needless to say, i cannot travel onward to play RTW's campaign...any help would be appreciated, thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowstar
    how do you play as the rebels?
    In your Data/ World/ maps/ Campaign/ Descr_strat text file edit this:

campaign imperial_campaign
    playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    end
    unlockable
    egypt
    seleucid
    carthage
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    end
    nonplayable
    romans_senate
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    numidia
    slave
    end

...to this:

campaign imperial_campaign
    playable
    romans_julii
    romans_brutii
    romans_scipii
    egypt
    seleucid
    carthage
    parthia
    gauls
    germans
    britons
    greek_cities
    romans_senate
    macedon
    pontus
    armenia
    dacia
    scythia
    spain
    thrace
    numidia
    slave
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
    end

has anyone heard about that new mod for barbarian expansion that takes the map to japan

a mod that takes you to japan

Sorry for the even worse than usual delay; I was stuck on this time consuming, boring, compulsory course for a few weeks, and I only just got my life back to myself again.

Emperor declares jihad It's been ages since I tried RTR (back around 4.0) but I remember that you need to complete the tutorial and prologue with an unmodded game first. Then apply the mod, then choose the newly added 'provincial campaign' option. All other game modes crash, except that one.

There is a .txt file edit you can do to fool the game into thinking you have completed the prologue, but I don't remember what it was. Someone else will know :waits for helpful person ...:

countvlada I think you mean the Sengoku Jidai mod for RTW. It's not complete, but it is based in Japan.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I have heard alot about using spies to spark rebellions...

How the hell does that work?
    And he rose, and spoke forth, "Go my warriors, go forward to victory!"

Hi all (especially mods),

Just wondering, is it possible to have a new sub-forum in the rtw multiplayer section.
    In this new sub-forum we would have guides like the ones in this forum (one topic for every faction) but for multiplayer strategies.

The guides in this forum are for all singleplayer strats arn't they?

Thanks,

Boo, what if I was writing a guide to bribing and multi-front preparations for offensives? Would it be stickied here or would be more practical to stick it elsewhere?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I asked, but i didn't get answer, so i shall ask again.

"I have heard alot about using spies to spark rebellions...

How the hell does that work?"

Anyone?

Sorry; I've been out of action for 17 days because my PC got fried by a thunderstorm.

McDoogle: send a spy into an enemy city. If they infiltrate successfully they will cause a bit of unrest. Use multiple spies to cause more unrest; you may need to use absolute hordes of spies, and even then they might not cause enough trouble to start a rebellion.

Vip3r: yes, this forum is SP only. I think that MP tips would best belong in the RTW MP forum category, closer to its target audience, and I know that there is (was?) a tips thread. Perhaps you should raise the idea over there?

pezhetairoi: the advice I always give is to write the guide, then post it over in the colosseum. This will give it maximum attention when it starts out, getting it to the largest possible audience. Very importantly (to me anyway) it gets the thread started in the writer's own name; only moderators can start topics in this forum. Credit where it is due. Finally, this makes it easier to find the best home for the guide; some guides are better suited to other forums. Moving topics is easy.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 07-22-2005 at 15:30. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    Vip3r: yes, this forum is SP only. I think that MP tips would best belong in the RTW MP forum category, closer to its target audience, and I know that there is (was?) a tips thread. Perhaps you should raise the idea over there?
    Okay thanks frogbeastegg, the reply is much appreciated.

Thanx for the help, Spies are now useful... ha ha

a little help pls? I played a julii short campaign, won, changed the .txt file to unlock the unplayable factions (not least of them Macedonia) and still get only the unlockable factions unlocked. so i get greece, but no Macedonia. what am I missing?
    i play the game unpatched, is this the problem?
    thnx

No, you editted it wrong.

You need to go to the 'Macedon' thread and copy it properly, make sure you make a back up file and try again. I had the same problem. Macedon are worth it though , CAVARLY!!

Did you guys know that Rome: total war's expansion is coming out soon.

Barbarian invasion, situtated just after the fall of the roman empires, with consantine and THE HUNS!!! WOOT!

Good old Attila.

To play as the rebels you have to go to the file descr_strat.txt
    Open it and copy and paste the name slave into the playable factions colum
    Then when you have done that you will need to delete slave from the non playable caragory

then save your file
    The rebels were never meant to be played so clicking on the faction scroll will crash the game

Count vlad

(my forum is on rometotalrealism.com then scroll down to the asian project)

Not a suggestion, but maybe a comment. Certainly something.

KukriKhan has now retired from the forum. Thanks for you help, Kukri. It was good working with you, as always

Ichi was here as temporary help, but it's worked so well he is now the perminant second staff member. So bother him if you need anything

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    KukriKhan has now retired from the forum. Thanks for you help, Kukri. It was good working with you, as always
    wait the entire fourm!????!!?!?! Life isnt wroth living wait I thought he just came back
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Gregoshi, Kukri...

"The good men went away riding the good horses."

Who's next? Tosa?
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

There's still a few good men, and women, lingering around here. Hopefully I can continue in the best traditions of my predecessors.

*looks around for an opportuity to flex new muscle*

ichi
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

A dramatic touch is often good.

Congrats and good luck ichi and thanks for the cleaning up.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

anyone got help for multiplayer setup(a thread is is in multiplayer section of rtw) please help

Scotand Rules

Kukri has retired from this forum, i.e. RTW guides and MTW guides. Sorry; I always call an individual forum a forum, and the collective forum the Guild.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast