Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Roman: Julii

Default Re: Roman: Julii

playing the Julii on a hard/hard mode, I found that the first thing to do was secure northern Italia, and take Massina, with an army on the bridge closest to the rest of the Gallic lands you can rack up famous victories for your Family members. With northern Italia secure, forts in the passes (five forts can secure the entire area), your offensive armies are free to take the islands in the western med, and the take and easily secure Iberia. Three forts in the Pyrenees secures Iberia from again the Gallic lands. From Northern Italy one can easily snap up Narbonensis and Lugdensis, and from Iberia northern Africa is easy meat. I have found that leaving the majority of Gallic lands in the hands of the Gauls gives your family members a boarder area filled with large fairly weak armies to combat and thus earn their name as a great general, before retiring to sire children and take on the task of govenorship. One member at Cordoba is all that is needed to keep Iberia running smoothly and it should be a vast money maker. Britannia may be another step but I don't see why, the British and Germans are a pain to fight and their lands contain nothing. With eleven more well placed forts one can cut off then Iuvavum, Lovisice, Aquinicum, Segestica, Campus Iazyges, Porrolissum, and Salona, from their all of Greece, Macedonia, and Thrace are within easy stiking distanace, and promise a good long hard war, with plenty of booty (two more forts on the borders of Dacian and Thracian lands with Scythia secure all of Southern Europe and free your offensive aremies for campaigns in the East. this is actually in keeping with the actual extent of Roman expansion (sort of) and it does make sense when you are constantly looking for tightly securing your borders.

- Nothern Italy (forts in the passes and at the bridge near Messina)
    - Western Med. Islands
    - Western then Eastern Iberia (cutting off the passes in the Pyrenes as soon at possible, After taking Osca as first conquest if possible)
    - Northern Africa
    - Dacia and the northern and eastern slopes of the Alps.
    - Greece and Macedonia
    - Asia Minor

This belongs here:

If you play as the Roman: Julii family, send a spy into Gaul territory. Let one of their cities grow to Minor City (level 3). Check if they have a Sacred Circle to Epona, (the horse god). Take the city. Grow to 12000 ASAP.

Wait for a 'your roman people have embraced Epona as their god'. This happens if you leave the temple alone long enough (dont destroy it, repair it if damaged).

You can now build the Awesome temple of Epona and the Pantheon to Epona, giving your legionary cohorts 4 xp (1 silver), or 5 xp (2 silver) as 'raw' recruits!

I did a search and havent found this tip anywhere so here you go. Added to the Julii walkthrough as well. (and on the org)
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Date Harumune Member Herakleitos's Avatar

Does this 'embracing' work for every god, have you for instance ever seen it happen with Greek gods?

(Goeie tip trouwens! )
    'ho polemos pater pantoon'

Nope, only the Julii (dank je ). This gives them the best temple in the game, for which you need a little help from the AI.

And no, i havent played too much Zelda: Ocarina of Time, though i can still remember the song you use to call her (Epona).
    in montem soli non loquitur

(\_/) (>.<) That's what happens with bunnies
    (x.X)(_)(_) who want to achieve world domination!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Suprisely I have used the wardogs against falangas. Walls of greeks shields and lances became weaker and thereafter very vulnerable standing not as strongly in the formation.

Red face Re: Roman: Julii

well what i did was do what the cover said "total war". i fought everybody no mercy was spent to anybody i usually exterminated the settlement and got tons of money. to was fun but hard. with money drains and rebillous settlments it gets hard

by the way i'm new

Hey,

Does anyone know what triggers the army reforms?

Most of my games where i take over Gaul, they come in between 215-224B.C

However i have just choosen to wait in a new game on med/hard. it is now 208 B.C and nothing . Is there a thing you must do to trigger it?

E.g take so many provinces or something?
    And he rose, and spoke forth, "Go my warriors, go forward to victory!"

It depends on a couple things.

First you must build an imperial palace in Italy somewhere.

The second thing is it must be at least 220 BC, but the actual date is randomized. For me it happened usually somewhere from 205 - 195.

As far as any other triggers I am not aware of any.

o_O Really? u can embrace other gods??? only as the Juliies?? so unfair

The Guals at first may seem a unstoppable force, that you would need many armies. But i found a cheaper faster way of takening them. its very simple looking at their units, you can see that, there isn't a single unit that can stop even the lowest cavlery units . so use this to your advantage. In the starting the senate will tell you to take the town of Segesta, which is an easy target to attack. you should have one army already outside the cities. take some from the cities into that army and go siege the town. Now that you took that town, you build your real army. build stables in both your starting towns. when they are finished, make all the Equites that you can buy. now during this time the senate may ask to do random missions. i personally don't do them because they waste to much time, for to little of a profit. But thats your choice. now when your army is done put all of them together with all your left over generals and march them into gaul. when it comes to seiges just buy some mercs and leave them in the city after. for battles just run right into them. they won't stand for long. Some would say that goeing for gaul will stretch you, but haveing a calvery army, they can move twice as far. Gaul should be yours in no less then 40 turns if you do it right. By this time the Senate loves and the people adore you. So start your march to rome, this is when you can build a proper army of infantry and archers. your two starting cities should be huge, making it easy to overpower the other romans . From there it is in your hands.
    PS tell me what you think

Gauls is easy to conquer, cavarly isnt everything, Rome's early infantry slaughters the Gauls. cavarly you have constantly charge to get a good effect.

You take the towns near the alps, then you block the hill passes and build up your armies. what i find a good and easy way is you build on main army that attacks and lays siege to the gaullic cities and always have a general with four units of town guard come in and take over the city right afterwards.

Luckily for me the Germans were already at war with them and i managed to con them into furthering their expeditions, and they took alesia, however they had lost some of their provinces to Dacia which i had taken and thus a nice trade was made.

I tend to then moveon to spain and britain, get them over with and there you go. you can turn your attention onto germany. however in my game the sciipio had taken all of Dacia and most of the sythians lands.

However i was given the choice of attacking rome, i used a force of 18 thousand legioners. ha, i must say i won that. didnt bother commanding it because it would have destoryed my pc.

Romans are probably the easiest faction but because of the senate life becomes hard. all other factions you can take a settlement and exterminate then leave to rebels, which always helps slow down a war. but the senate demand you take it back and if you dont they will keep demanding it.
    And he rose, and spoke forth, "Go my warriors, go forward to victory!"

in my game with Julii I blocked the passes in N. Italy and take massila holding the bridge with a sutable army .. the famely member leading that one gain about 10 stars and senshorial position in the senete so this bridge train your generals keep that and you got nice famely members .
    another idea I have found that compagining in Gaulia will be a strong adventure for a good famely member . So I build an army of about 4 equites and 10 hastati and 1 roman achers and 2 velets then enterd Galia with that army lead by a 2 star general and fortfiy in Gaul's land demanding money and when they refused I made THE HELL ON THE EARTH destroing thier armies , killing thier famely members and blocking thier ports finally agreed and I took 15k den for the cost of that war and a general with a 10 star and nice retinu
    finally u can consider Gaul's land as practice battlefield but don't take any city becuase of the old-idiot men ( yah the senete ) well make life hard demanding retaking that city if u left it
    I blocked all threats for the Brutii and Scipio by deplomacy and war ??
    by deplomacy like allying with mecedonians and preventing any possible war with them even from the senete is there a mission taking a mecedian city I ignor that another thing by bribing any real force for the Brutii , Scipii and the senete itself so u gain a freazing setuation until u prepare for compagining in Greace and sicely also for example I positoned 3 deplomates in sicely and S.Italy and near the senete .. any force going to take the cartheginan city in sicely should be bribed specilly if they had exp. bonus and say thx Scipii .. the same for Brutii . a good idea taking some nice famely members for u cities from them so the Brutii will have only 3 cities ( 2 starting cities + Apollonia ) and Scipii had only his starting cities .
    Next I prefer taking Greace then Iberia and heading the Egyption lands and Selocidia also
    ( sorry for my bad English language ) any reply is welcome .
    Sas_Legion

Gaul is not that hard to conquer. The trick is to take the first few towns rapidly, then consolidate by building guard units such as town watch just to prevent a takeover with no opposition. This leaves your legions free to take more towns.

I realise that a few units of town watch could not repel a siege, but it gives you time to raise a large army to break the siege.

Red face Re: Roman: Julii

QUOTE[Fighting the Germans. Those spear warbands of theirs can be beaten with light infantry. During the deployment phase, take all of your light infantry, and deploy it in one place, one unit on top of another. If you have light cavalry, use it to kill archers and warlords, and, when their spear warbands are locked in mortal combat, pounce from the rear.]

a easier way is to just send in javerlinmen and because spears are so frikkin slow they wont catch u wen u hurl javerlins into them.i used this to isolate and destroy and german spears wen i was out numbered.i didn't win cos y general thought it would be fun to charge the spears,still i killed one hell of a lot more than they did.

a bad general lets success go to his head,
    a good general leaves it behind.
    Last edited by scipio the even younger; 03-15-2005 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by mzhang23

Once you take Carthage, exterminate the population.

Once Carthage is taken start building troops using Carthage's highly teched buildings (triarii, Legionary cav, etc) and be ready to ship them to Greece.
    Having sacked Carthage, it will take quite a while before it is possible to build any troops at all, no?

The most important thing with the Julii, like all Romans, is to push your advantage immediatly. The Scipii have the best ships, as well as Syracuse (Minor city) just waiting to be taken in Sicily. The Brutii have the best position, invulerable to attack with the best of the civilized world ahead of them, including all 7 World Wondors. The Julii have the worst of it as far as map position or cities are concerned. However, they have the strongest acting army in the early game, and if you can exploit that, they will quickly rise to the top. The two gallic cities in Northern Italy are vulnerable. You already have a large enough army to take them before the Gauls know what hit them. (Just sent two hastati to siege Sagesta, it can only last 3 turns under siege. Once you have taken those two cities HOLD THEM! The gauls will send massive armies, but if you can build forts in all the mountain passes, it will slow them down. The computer doestn't ever seem to attack forts. Once you are secure in Italy just advance your cities, they are all large towns and can train hastati, equites, and velites. Then just send army after army into gaul, remember, the only big advantage the Gauls have over you is the terrain, and their numbers. Try not to fight during winter, and NEVER fight in a forest. If the Gauls are too strong to invade from the South, simply play the role of a Viking. Sail up to one of their southern coastal cities, capture it, exterminate the population and destroy all the buildings. Then run. It makes you thousands of Denarii and cripples the Gauls who are stuck rebuilding their cities.
    (Note-Whenever possible built blacksmiths. I always thought them trivial until I saw what superior weapons and armour could do! The tiniest advantage will show when locked in a close battle.)
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

My stratety was pretty strait forward, but I have ended up over extended my self slightly.

All I did was Bliz. all the way to spain, and I think the Marius effect happens after you have gained a certain amount of land or wealth or something, because I never got acess to the Triaria (sp?)

Right now I am making preporation for the invasion of Brition and am moving my diplomats into Roman controlled areas for the final push.

you need an imperial palace in Italy for the Marian Reforms..
    to be able to recruit Triarii, you need the best army barracks and you need to be before the Marian reforms!!

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

You don't need the best barracks. You need army barracks which is large city level and that is less than urban barracks which is huge city level.

In 1.0 and 1.1, an imperial palace anywhere will do. However, in 1.2, you need an imperial palace in Italy after 220BC.

roman wardogs are really week there only good for routing enemys .there infrantry are strong well displined men .i found gauls not that easy to fight they never give up they are easy to take but are always a problem .i have never completed a game with julli so i cant say that much
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

I agree littlegannon, the Gauls are tough fghters and they don't tend to give up. I have never completed a campaign with the Julii either.. but none-the-less they are an exciting roman faction to play.

they are esciting but i think theya re the hardest faction out of the romans to play as so i may make a game as them as a bit of a challange
    "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
    "I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."
    —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

how stupid george bush is !

I beleive it's their starting position.. There is only a few routes they can take and the main one is up into Gaul. And with the Senate ordering you around to do missions, it's quite tough to get anywhere..

Default Re: Roman: Julii (quick question)

hi all,
    i've seen that often the gaul's faction heir is in the town of Mediolanum, just crossing the river at the north of your cities (the Po).
    Is there a way to capture him and use it at your advantage?? maybe to ransom him or use him to force a treaty?

it would be cool, right?

thanks,
    regards

matias

Default Re: Roman: Julii (quick question)

Quote Originally Posted by matias
    hi all,
    i've seen that often the gaul's faction heir is in the town of Mediolanum, just crossing the river at the north of your cities (the Po).
    Is there a way to capture him and use it at your advantage?? maybe to ransom him or use him to force a treaty?

it would be cool, right?

thanks,
    regards

matias
    No, sadly there is no kidnapping or anything. You could assisinate him with an assasin, but it would take a while to tech up to that level. If you are really desperate to kill him, bring an army with like 5 equites and as soon as the battle starts charge them all at the general. You will loose the battle of course, but you have a very good chance of killing him.

I always thought there really wasn't a need to go straight for the family members like that. Forgive me for sounding completely daft, but what's the point? If you kill him, you kill him. (And the AI most usually ensures you kill him, since he charges straight for you eventually.) And if he escapes, well, he escapes. So what's the fuss? If you play Julii you're eventually going to sweep the map clean of Gauls anyway, so why worry? Besides, I always found it more fun to let him escape... family members always come back with armies so I get to fight some more, kill some more :-D Bloodlust is not exactly a Julii characteristic, but it's useful when you can't help but win every battle you fight ;-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    I always thought there really wasn't a need to go straight for the family members like that. Forgive me for sounding completely daft, but what's the point? If you kill him, you kill him. (And the AI most usually ensures you kill him, since he charges straight for you eventually.) And if he escapes, well, he escapes. So what's the fuss? If you play Julii you're eventually going to sweep the map clean of Gauls anyway, so why worry? Besides, I always found it more fun to let him escape... family members always come back with armies so I get to fight some more, kill some more :-D Bloodlust is not exactly a Julii characteristic, but it's useful when you can't help but win every battle you fight ;-)

Hi ,
    i thought that since the game is so realistic, maybe i could do something like kidnapping a family member, and then ransom him ($$$) , or use it to rise your influence when negotianing with that faction, like "i demand xxx town and i offer your little son" ... jeje
    in medieval you could ransom nobles and get some florins...

anyways...
    thanks and regards,

matias

well, you gotta realise, CA has its limits. Not -that- realistic. I mean, after all, which faction would send armies of a few thousand men at one another in real life? THey were all 5-digit armies in reality.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

There were battles on all scales but battles were generally larger, like 5 digits, but not always.

true, true. But in gaul at least they were on an epic proportion (eg 200000 gauls involved at Alesia), but heyhey, who's to say, eh? CA has to make a game that's easily controlled and won't be played with an incredible lagtime.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast