Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy - An Initial Guide

Question Re: Diplomacy - An Initial Guide

hi, excellent guide. I've two questions

1.- I'm playing with the julii. I'm traying to make alliances with the numidians, the thracians and the scythians... (i've already have trade rights and anyone of them are in war with the others roman factions)
    The numidians reject my offers (i will continue later), but with the other two I don't have the choice to offer an alliance, because in the diplomatic window I don't have this option (in all cases I'm negotiating with citys and not with foreign diplomats). What's the matter?

2.- The guide tells that you can bribe anyone, but I'm trying to bribe a roman army, guided by a captain, and I don't have the choice to do that in the diplomatic window. I've installed Patch 1.2 (It's that a change of the patch?)

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: Diplomacy - An Initial Guide

Great guide

I personally have two separate diplomacys.First one is for factions near me,with them i use the old "enemy of my enemy must be my friend"diplomacy.
    The other thing i do is large scale blackmail.I have lone ships with diplomats aboard.Sailing all around the seas.When i see some faction targeted by multiple enemies,i simply blockade one or more of their ports and demand money for ceacefire.
    It has paid of wery well.Its not very honourable,but im playing as roman julii faction and i think it feels to me very "Roman"thing to do.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

Hi all,

After a long, long time away due to RL, I've finally given up on real life and decided that Total War is much better. I'm starting the LONG overdue process of updating the diplomacy guide. It looks like I have a lot to catch up on!

Thanks to everyone who have contributed to this thread and who have sent emails. I'm setting a soft deadline of three weeks for the update to be completed.

Cheers,
    Tamur
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

Very nice guide indeed
    A very good insight into the world of diplomacy

Yeah, good info here. I'm going to try more diplomacy once I finish my current campaign.

Just put up the initial desperately needed updates to the diplomacy guide.

If you've got the guide already, don't bother looking at the new version quite yet. Only the most basic of rewrites has happened -- bribes and protectorates mostly.

There are some major changes in the works as I catch up on the last six months of board posts. Eventually I'll see them all, but if someone knows of particularly helpful or useful posts on diplomacy written since 1.2 came out, it would be a big help if you could post them up here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tamur; 07-14-2005 at 19:30.

Bug Hunter Senior Member player1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tamur
    (14 July 2005 edit) This diplomacy guide has had its first update in quite a long time. Not much, but the Bribe and Protectorate sections have been rewritten to bring them into sync with 1.2. I will be continuing to revise, trim and add to the guide on an ongoing basis.

I remain interested in getting feedback on (or feedback INTO, more precisely) the Diplomatic Strategies section. A lot has changed with the 1.2 patch in diplomacy, so this section will need to be trimmed a bit as time progresses. If you have anything to contribute, please do feel free to contact me either via my email which is in the document itself, or via PM here on the boards.
    I think that reference to Foreign Tastes diplomat trait need to be removed from the guide, sice that trait can't really be gained in the game (nor popular standing makes sense for a diplomat).
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack

Thanks player1... I'd never seen that one show up in any of my games, and had wondered if it were valid. I just yanked this, will put that fix up in the next update.

BTW, just discovered your bugpatch, quality work there!

What about 1.3 patch changes? Anyone seen a thread that focuses on Diplomacy changes with 1.3?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Just doing a little house cleaning

My experiences with bribery suggest that when bribing a stack, any family member, as well as any units that you would be able to build at any point in your technology tree, come over to your faction. All other units disband.

If you are playing a roman faction, you can bribe the armies and family members of the other factions before the civil war with no apparent penalty. This action is particularly useful when one of the other factions has a large army about to beseige an enemy city. Simply bribe the army and then besiege the city with what are now "your" forces.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by player1
    I think that reference to Foreign Tastes diplomat trait need to be removed from the guide, sice that trait can't really be gained in the game (nor popular standing makes sense for a diplomat).
    I've read the guide. Pretty useful, thanks Tamur. There's one problem however, when you talk about this trait ("Foreign Tastes") you state the following "...but they appear to be non-existent on the game itself..." that's not exactly true, if what you mean is that no character, wheter it's from your faction or another, can get this trait, certainly none of my diplomats got it, because I'm the worst diplomat ever, but I saw, in "Barbarian Invasion" with Vanilla 1.6 a diplomat from the "Western Empire Rebels" that had this trait. If I can I'll post a pic here.
    Last edited by Soulforged; 03-13-2006 at 08:17.
    Born On The Flames

DECEBALVS PER SCORILO Member Diurpaneus's Avatar

very intresting facts

Hello there, Darlings:
    I played Greek, used to have an alliance with Gaul and Rome, among other factions. Then Rome was defeated by the Britons & Gaul was reduced to only one province (someplace on the shore of the English Channel) while I was busy fighting Carthage and the Ptolemies. Then, when I investigated my DIPLOMACY tab, I found out Gaul was no longer my ally, merely neutral. Maybe I was thinking of something else when the diplomatic notice flashed onscreen. Now I was offering Gaul to be my protectorate or my ally (whichever would sound delicious to AI), but I was repeatedly refused. I had about 3 or 4 different diplomats of mine try this, but the Gauls won't accept my offer. My one diplomat was even slapped the trait TACTLESS for his (her?) efforts. Here comes along the Spanish (Iberians) who are sniffing at the Gauls. They might gobble up the last Gallic town and I don't want to preempt the Spanish move by attacking that last town. What's wrong with diplomacy? Or what diplomatic thing did I do wrong (or did not do)?
    Meiaow to y'all.

It's actually not that hard to make other factions give up a region, I payed 10000 denarii for Thebes and the Egyptians accepted. Although the AI sometimes turns down big offers that would benefit their forces, I come to think it's usually the "loyal barbarians" who do not accept...

Can you make a list of the best diplomats starting out in the Game?

Ex.Isenbard of the burgundii,Thero of the Numidians
    Last edited by Ozzman1O1; 12-16-2007 at 17:25.
    :

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Why? And anyway, the guide is a few years old...
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

This guide should probably be archived on a dusty shelf somewhere, but, inexplicably, it continues to be downloaded about fifteen times a week. I edited the first post to reflect the fact that I haven't maintained it for nearly three years.

So, buyer beware!
    Last edited by Tamur; 05-28-2008 at 23:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Viriato
    hi, excellent guide. I've two questions

1.- I'm playing with the julii. I'm traying to make alliances with the numidians, the thracians and the scythians... (i've already have trade rights and anyone of them are in war with the others roman factions)
    The numidians reject my offers (i will continue later), but with the other two I don't have the choice to offer an alliance, because in the diplomatic window I don't have this option (in all cases I'm negotiating with citys and not with foreign diplomats). What's the matter?

2.- The guide tells that you can bribe anyone, but I'm trying to bribe a roman army, guided by a captain, and I don't have the choice to do that in the diplomatic window. I've installed Patch 1.2 (It's that a change of the patch?)

Thanks a lot.
    1. Sometimes you cant offer an alliance to factions allied to those you are at war with (this inconsistent feature is also in Medieval 2). It also seems like alliances with factions that you have wiped out count towards this condition (definitely a bug if true).

2. I dont think you can bribe Romans before the civil war started as you are in a superalliance with the senate.

An interesting observation when buying settlements is that the AI seems to want less for 1+1 settlements than for 2 in one go. As the Brutii I had a treasure of some 80k and decided to buy Nicomedia and Ancyra from Pontus. I offer 60k for the bundle and they suggest that I pay 40k for 8 turns. But when I offer first 20k for Ancyra and then 30k for Nicomedia they accept...

Please reupload your guide. The page isn't there any more. Would love to read it.

Member Member Conzettia The Vanquisher's Avatar
    In The Forsaken Pit Of Discontence (Florida)

Angry Re: Diplomacy - An Initial Guide

i'm having trouble just for them to even accept anything.
    whenever i try and offer a ceasefire or even an accept or we will attack, they just do that "bandying empty words is pointless" move.

PISSES ME OFFF!!!! UGH! HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Conzettia The Vanquisher View Post
    i'm having trouble just for them to even accept anything.
    whenever i try and offer a ceasefire or even an accept or we will attack, they just do that "bandying empty words is pointless" move.

PISSES ME OFFF!!!! UGH! HELP!
    I'm having the same problem myself, although I personally take it as another incentive to attack and destroy all other factions
    Seriously though, what version are you playing in? It would appear that diplomacy has been tweaked to be much, much harder in later patches (1.3-1.5) with the AI showing little to no interest in deals of any kind. Although I have yet to play a campaign for long in these patches so I'm not sure how the diplomats stats and your own military power affects the outcome of negotiations in the long run...

If you do like to solve things peacefully I recommend version 1.0, from what I remember all armies were possible to bribe (except faction leaders and heirs) and the other factions paid handsomely for everything from map information to alliances. Long campaigns with those possibilities do in fact get rather boring though!

Kind regards
    Last edited by Bellicin; 05-31-2010 at 12:52.
    "It's easy to be outnumbered when you're a zero" - George of the Jungle

Member Member Conzettia The Vanquisher's Avatar
    In The Forsaken Pit Of Discontence (Florida)

I play the 1.5 patch and it seems that your statement would make sense. I originally started playing the 1.0 when i was first introduced to RTW but then got the patch. while playing the 1.0 it did seem alot easier for you to negotiate with diplomats, while in 1.5 almost everything you try and negotiate gets declined (except for bribes). the diplomatic influence of your character has some effect, because i have noticed through playing the full campaign that low-land controlling factions will be quick to jump on negotiations, while larger factions think that they are superior for some reason. (which i also give as an incentive to conquer them). but your sheer military power doesn't really have too much effect, atleast not that i have noticed.

Thank you for answering my question Bellicin.

Glad to be of assistance and thanks for your input on the negotiations with other factions of different size! One thing that hit me the other day is that the difficultylevel might affect diplomacy as well, although I have seen no real proof of it. After switching to patch 1.5 I've mostly been playing at the "Very hard" or "Hard" setting on the campaign map, which I suppose could also affect diplomatic negotiations.

Kind regards
    "It's easy to be outnumbered when you're a zero" - George of the Jungle

I see all of these posts about the diplomacy guide but I cannot find the diplomacy guide. Can anyone help??

The link is in the OP .. but it does not work: File not found.

hi all,

Someone just emailed me today about this, alerting me to the fact that the link was dead. I think it must have been killed off a while back when I was doing some site updates and mistakenly wiped out that entire directory.

The link in the OP on this thread has been restored to its former (in-)glorious state, so anyone interested should be able to find it.

Cheers,
    Tamur
    Last edited by Tamur; 02-20-2011 at 04:29.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thanks for renewing it Tamur. I did search for this a few days ago and now I can actually read it.

Cheers.
    Worshiper of therother.

OP link is broken again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast