Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Armenia

Default Re: Armenia

Hi, Pez. I am afraid, that I won't participate ... for now.
    I decided to give RTW a break till BI.
    P.S. What about brit challenge?

no thanks on the Brit challenge, remember I can't play with the no-bribing rule? ;-)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Sorry Pez,
    I am stuck im the middle of my Sel campaign. But I still remember the good old days in Scythia and I think we should try to start a common game at least when the BI is released.

Sorry Franc, but I won't be buying BI... I'd rather wait for EB, and save the money...

But yes, common game :) PM me when you're done with beating up the Eggys. :)

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    no thanks on the Brit challenge, remember I can't play with the no-bribing rule? ;-)
    I mean how it ended?

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    Sorry Franc, but I won't be buying BI...

Can you imagine what will happen if the BI is released? All the veterans and all the rookies will start to play simulatneously. There will be fights, competitions, studies, stories .... Man, don't miss that party!
    Last edited by Franconicus; 07-20-2005 at 09:47.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaDN
    I mean how it ended?
    Well, everyone quit the game so I guess I won!
    There is a post in the Britannia thread

I'm up for an Armenia mass Guildian (Guild members) campaign.

yummy. That makes a two-man mass-Guild campaign! ^_^

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Ok, well I'm going to start my campaign as soon as I've finished Macedon. Hopefully by Friday. I've got Mundus Magnus and that's a huge map so it should make the game a little more exciting. There's some new mercs around Armenia, I think.

Lurking since the Dawn of Time Member SpawnOfEbil's Avatar

Well, on Vanilla Rome, I started off by beating the Parthians to Phrapasaa, then taking Arsakia. This got me quite a lot of money.

Then, I sat back and developed my infrastructure, and then after training some cat archers, took Hatra and Seleucia in the same turn.

This will get you a ton of money.

Now I'm at the stage after that. Not sure where to expand to. I'm considering Egypt, but from my past battles with the Eggies as Parthia I don't really want to take on their chariots. The alternative, Pontus, also use chariots, so not much of a choice.

I beat the Parthians to Phraaspa, AND attacked Sinope. Got trashed at Sinope because I was hopelessly outnumbered, but managed to bring my army off the field safely. Came back with a vengeance to get revenge, and crushed the Pontic field armies, besieged their two settlements, and destroyed Pontus next turn. After that I built up a new army in the east and took out Arsakia and Susa. Meanwhile in the west I took Nicomedia, Ancyra and Pergamum. The western army then went on a little joyride into the Crimea to take Chersonesos while I built up cat archer capability in Sinope. Did I mention I managed to bribe the Parthians' two cat units before taking Arsakia? Their AP maces are wonderful against generals...

I have begun war with Seleucids and take Sardis in the west and Seleucia in the east. Chariots were nothing dangerous IMHO although I faced them both against the Sleucids and the Pontics. I just kept out of range and kept shooting. But I agree Egypt's chariots have that much more to fear because they can return fire, and because they have three men on each chariot instead of one. But, still.

I have a third army building up for the steppes because in my capture of Chersonesos I began war with Scythia, which came back with a vengeance the way I did with Pontus to retake Chersonesos. That army will head east for Sakae and Themiskyra after annihilating Scythia.

I've begun diplomatic erosion of Egypt's armies. Since I am in possession of the East and building trade caravans like mad, I am making tons of d. The Parthians are left with Dumatha and Campus Sakae, the Seleucids are left with Tarsus and Hatra, with the latter about to be taken by the Egyptians. However, Tarsus has a very large army, so I'll wait for Egypt to take it before I take down Egypt.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Did you reinstall your 1.2, pez? You seemed to think your bribery was still working like under 1.0 (which is not all bad, I say).

I've tried, but it doesn't work. I even went to the registry and checked that the RTW version was 1.0 (It was.) But no matter what I do the comp tells me RTW has already been updated, which is SO OBVIOUSLY is not. I don't understand any more o_o

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Littlegannon had the same problem as you (computer sayin 1.2 was installed when it isn't). I'll tell him to post how he fixed it.

that would be most appreciated, Craterus. Maybe for once my diplomats will atrophy and wither and I won't be so tempted to use them after this...

I'll say one thing, though. Armenia is shaping up to be by far the slowest campaign I've played so far. Turn 55 and I have only 16 provinces. Normally by now I already have 30-40.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

So... I started this campaign today and I've gotten off to an ok start. It's annoying having only one army because if you were to split it, it would be decimated by rebels that surround Armenia. I'll post a picture of the Mundus Magnus map so you can see the starting situation of Armenia..

So, I've taken the rebel provinces surrounding my original (and only) starting city. I now own, basically, the same land (but split into littler provinces) you start with. It is 268 BC and I'm sieging Phraaspa and it will be the 3rd town that I take.

It's not long till I can build Cat Archers and Heavy Spearman so that should speed up the conquering process. A major problem I'm having is sieges. Eastern Infantry just cannot take a wall (some rebel towns have stone walls with MM) unless they are used in excess. As I take provinces, I am leaving one Eastern Infantry behind to garrison the newly taken city. I have now run out of Eastern Infantry units (except one depleted unit). I am using my capital to build horse archers, useful units, instead EI because they are more effective. Sieges are also becoming a strain on my generals. I have to use generals because the rebel EI are superior to my own. They have 3 bronze chevrons, bronze defence upgrades, and bronze weapon upgrades. I use my generals cav (after peppering units with HA fire) to rout the *pimped* EI.

So, it looks as though I'll have to wait out the next siege.

Ah...Mundus is obviously very different from Armenia, where if you're forced to you can still create two directions of expansion.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

On Mundus, the map goes as far as India.

The Seleucids holding most of this area. Unfortunately, they can't quite support the empire (I've had a look around without fow) and they have 2-unit armies running about the place. They're cities are garrisoned by 1 or 2 units so it looks like easy pickings.

When I'm done with the rebels, I'm going to carve a big hole in the middle of the Seleucid Empire, and then send an army west, and an army east.

I haven't quite planned my journey to Rome. It will definitely be a long and gruelling one with the amount of provinces that I'm going to have to get through.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I can't get a direct link to the map, so you'll have to look at thumbnails via Google. If you look closely, you can make out the region of Armenia (above that massive grey chunk that is the Seleucid Empire). Link to Google

I can't post the version of the map that comes with install because it would distort the board.
    Last edited by Craterus; 08-01-2005 at 01:57.

I forgot,but in MM how many provinces does the Selucids have.

I'll count, this could take a while.
    I suppose you could just hold the original provinces (if there's 50), make a navy and sail some full stacks over to take Rome.

EDIT: It's only 25 or so provinces, so you need a bit more wrk. And the real challenge of this campaign is holding your original area.
    Last edited by Craterus; 08-01-2005 at 14:44.

Craterus, what news from littlegannon about the 1.2 patch issue?

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

GAH! He hasn't posted, but I did tell him to.

Right, from what I know, you have to delete the registry (?) files of 1.2 . But that's all I know. If it doesn't work, I have no other ideas.

O_o That sounds incredibly dangerous.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Okay, this is just unbelievable!

I sent a lone unit of Cataphract Archers against a Rebel army just the other day, and it consisted of one Pontic Heavy Cavalry (General's Unit), one Archer, and two EIs.

I walked my C. Archers to get close enough to the archers and used loose formation to start shooting. Yet, those damn arrows were able to kill 2 of my guys per volley! ARGHHH!!

I don't understand, how can Missile Damage of 7 go through 22 points of Defense? Am I missing something?

(In case anyone want to know how the battle went, I diminished half their Archers, shot 20 EIs to death which were pursuing me, and melee'd their General to death before retreating. I only had 20 guys left after that! Retraining at Sinope shall cost me 781 denarii! Marvelous! )

...the C Archers have no shield, and their defense skill is 1, if I recall correctly. Either that, or the archers had experience and weapon upgrades.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

When is BI coming out?
    Very anxious about it
    I wanted to tear up Rome and trample their pathetic Roman faces with mighty Huns (or other barbarians) SOOOOOOOO baaaadly.

....this question is best asked on the COlosseum. The Armenia thread is absolutely the wrong place for this, and I don't know anyway.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Passionate MTW peasant Member Deus ret.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant
    I don't understand, how can Missile Damage of 7 go through 22 points of Defense? Am I missing something?
    Another possibility could be that your CAs -like all HAs- make for rather large targets, thus enabling to archers to bring their missiles into effect better. I had similar experiences, when I played Armenia I quickly learned not to engage in a missile duel with foot archers as long as I wanted to keep the CAs. Try to circumvent the enemy and kill the archers in close combat: that works better.
    Vexilla Regis prodeunt Inferni.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus ret.
    Another possibility could be that your CAs -like all HAs- make for rather large targets, thus enabling to archers to bring their missiles into effect better. I had similar experiences, when I played Armenia I quickly learned not to engage in a missile duel with foot archers as long as I wanted to keep the CAs. Try to circumvent the enemy and kill the archers in close combat: that works better.
    Hmm, I think that would be hard when they have phalanges or other spearmen guarding it. It seems incredibly hard to bait foot archers, especially when you are the attacker. All the AI has to do is wait the battle out and watch you lose.

Any advice on diversing enemy troops as Armenia? And how will I deal with Seleucid and Egyptian chariots??

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast