Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: A short investigation of squalor

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius
    How do you actually get rid of squalor?
    You can read this in the first post:
    1) Upgrade governement building
    2) Reduce population
    3) Trait & ancillaries: the Prim-and-Proper trait, the Natural Philosophy, Kind Ruler and the Good Builder lines of V&V's and the Architect ancillary reduce squalor, the Bad Builder, Miserly, and Cheapskate lines and the geomancer ancillary increase it.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Default Re: A short investigation of squalor

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens
    You can read this in the first post:
    1) Upgrade governement building
    2) Reduce population
    3) Trait & ancillaries: the Prim-and-Proper trait, the Natural Philosophy, Kind Ruler and the Good Builder lines of V&V's and the Architect ancillary reduce squalor, the Bad Builder, Miserly, and Cheapskate lines and the geomancer ancillary increase it.
    I've already fully upgraded to Imperial Palace, with Aqueducts, and put my best governor with best management ancillaries in the city. I've even avoided building squalor increasing buildings such as farms and markets, but the squalor rating is STILL 100+. Is genocide the only way to prevent this?
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: A short investigation of squalor

I've already fully upgraded to Imperial Palace, with Aqueducts, and put my best governor with best management ancillaries in the city. I've even avoided building squalor increasing buildings such as farms and markets, but the squalor rating is STILL 100+. Is genocide the only way to prevent this?
    Yes.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Squalor

What patch are you playing? I thought squalor was capped at 100% as of 1.2.

In all things, look to history Member Pontifex Rex's Avatar

Big city squalor is something we all just have to live with. The genocide option just seems a little gamey to me. Like others, I would rather just cue up a large number of units and ship them off to the front or use them as settlers in frontier provinces. Another option is to send all your mangled units to that city and do a massive retraining program,..it will draw down the population (and squalor quite quickly).

Just a thought.
    Pontifex Rex

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

Might work.. except it's increasing too quickly, Carthage is nowhere near any front to ship troops to and I'm playing normal units with peasants at 60 only :(

Default Re: Squalor

Read the city management faq and the magic 8% pop growth/squalor figure. Basically you want to stop building farms when your pop growth is already at 7-8% to keep squalor-growth at an even keel at 24k pop.

Some buildings, temples and traits will increase pop growth. I messed up Carthage by building a farm upgrade and I'm paying for it now by needing a full stack and good influence govner just to keep things under control just barely.

In all things, look to history Member Pontifex Rex's Avatar

Might work.. except it's increasing too quickly, Carthage is nowhere near any front to ship troops to and I'm playing normal units with peasants at 60 only :(

Train up a few Biremes to shuttle the troops overseas to the front or smaller cities. Other than that, lower the taxes and keep a good governor on hand. I've rarely have cities riot and never had a city actually rebel (I just keep pushing up the size of the garrison.)
    Pontifex Rex

Already building every turn, and garrison public order level maxed out at 80%.

Question Re: Squalor

hi all
    what i did to get rid of squalor
    in the campaign at the mo playing scippie i rule spain, africa, starting on the gaul also rule the coast down to sparta, and through to where macedon start
    it is 201bc and my campaign it shifting rapidly

lots of my settlements were full of squalor and duet
    the 3 settlements near sparta also the 3 settlements on the island between rome and carthage

wat i did to get rid of squalor and duet

when 1 of the 3 settlements got plague in both areas i moved my generals to a fort or on to a settlement free of plague straight away checking generals are free of plague
    if you move the generals straight away i find they stay free of plage

so now keep the plage in the settlements till the population drops to say round 10,000 or below the squalor decreases rapidly till its nearly all gone
    it took about 7-10 turns

once plage leaves move generals back you will be able to tax at the highest rate iam brining in 3000 -4000 public orded up to 200% or higher in the settlement

only thing population growth rate is 7% or higher so this could cause problems i know tommorow..

or am i making a complete hash of it!!!
    Sir should we send in the infantry
    "why waste men when arrows are free"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123