Thread: Traits from Non-Battles

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Traits from Non-Battles

Often when you approach a small army with a large one, the smaller will fall back rather than fight. You aren't even given an option to fight. However, sometimes your general will still get traits from this 'victory.' Until last night I had only gotten command stars out of these non-battles which, while strange, is not something I complain about. However, last night I had a non-battle where my general was given Doubtful Courage (-1 morale) afterwards. What gives? I'm penalized for a battle that (1) never occurred and (2) I never fought. While I was amused by his next pre-battle speech ("Staying behind the lines isn't cowardice, it's prudence!") this is a bit unfair.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Default Re: Traits from Non-Battles

Yes - this has happened to me twice, once with a general that I had been "nurturing" up to seven or eight stars. I wasn't amused.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

So you got a negative trait from an enemy army withdrawing before a battle???

I understood the command stars are they are all about image and perceptions and only effected morale as far as I am aware and a General how enemies run from constantly is as good (if not better from the foot soldier's point of view) as one that is always winning hard fought battles....

But negative traits from the enemy running away from you is too much.....

Yeah this also happened to me once. If I remember correctly he was my faction leader. Not funny...

I had it happening to me three times.
    I think it's simply a bug, where it's the wrong general who gets the "doubtful courage" trait (it should be the one who retreats, and it's the one who attacks).
    If violence didn't solve your problem... well, you just haven't been violent enough.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

I noticed that "cowardice" vice gets assigned frequently if you use auto-resolve... :( Also, if you have a battle in which the enemy retreats without fight, the battle-end screen says CLOSE victory... #&*^^^%%% CLOSE!???? They ran away... What was "close" in this case?

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

On another note, I had this general who had "works during races" trait. His pre-battle speaches were hillarious... He would start off mumbling about people having to be where they actually do not want to be (himself included); and, that it was his grandmother who actually said he should be there (on the battlefield); "so, here we go"... LOL

I was just about to post this same exact thing TinCow, as my general got "doubtful courage" for the same thing....

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Related topic, when my general's unit gets routed, but we win anyway, I never seem to get any doubtful courage or cowardice trait associated with it, although I get scolded about it during the battle.

More related to the topic...I've pulled a general back to the settlement, to let cav chase down the retreating army in a follow up that would have prevented him from getting home that turn...and he got a doubtful courage vice for not being present at the battle. It isn't really unfair since his cav officers might have thought him a coward, but it was a huge shock since he had 10 stars. After that he gave those, "I'm staying behind the lines" speeches. But with 10 stars, it didn't seem to matter.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

The trigger for coward count

event=postbattle
    condition=general did not fight in battle
    chance of coward 1 is 10%

event= general unit routs
    chance of coward 1 is 25%

my guess is that the first condition was fulfilled, and ur general was branded a coward. In this case i guess the patch needs to modify this condition with a NOT DISENGAGED or a NOT VICTORY condition.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

So when an enemy withdraws rather than fights, both the generals have an equal chance of being branded a coward...

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

Ive seen this happen mostly when a general has reached Legendary commander, when i auto resolved cause th enemy was one unit

Senior Member Senior Member Tricky Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists
    I noticed that "cowardice" vice gets assigned frequently if you use auto-resolve... :( Also, if you have a battle in which the enemy retreats without fight, the battle-end screen says CLOSE victory... #&*^^^%%% CLOSE!???? They ran away... What was "close" in this case?

I remember a battle fought with an army led by the faction leader. I autoresolved, won a Heroic Victory.... and my general got the cowardice vice afterwards.
    I suppose it had something to do with the AI charging the general prematurely, and he probably routed immediately whilst the rest of his army professionally kept on fighting. Oh well, it was an autoresolved battle after all, and we all know that this feature is not to be trusted

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

On a positive note, because the traits in RTW aren't permanent like in MTW they are fixable. My doubtful courage general is now a local hero due to a few charges during battle.

AFAIU it's easy to fix
    -----------------------------
    Condition not GeneralFoughtInCombat
    and not WonBattle

Affects Coward 1 Chance 10
    -----------------------------