Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Medieval - Total War mod

Default Medieval - Total War mod

I have started working on units for a medieval mod and the first unit is almost done. The mod will be different to the original game because of the different structure of the game. Most units will be based on the units of the original game. I will post more details when I have explored RTW some more.
    Last edited by VikingHorde; 10-24-2004 at 19:05.

MTW XL version 3.0 out now! Get it here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31201

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval - Total War mod

Why don't you merge with the CTW mod? It would be very productive.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

I prefeer the medieval period from 1086-1456 because of the little use of gunpower. I also have most of the research material (pics and info) from the XL mod, so I can start easyer on the mod.

You guys CAN cooperate though, make one a sequel to one another. Dont you think? :)

Yes! A medieval mod!! I was waiting for someone to start this. If you need any assistance with research I have heaps. I have done quite a bit more since the XL mod and have a heap of stuff researched. I cant really do any actual modding, but I could help write unit/faction descriptions if you want. Might save a bit of time. I also have a heap of maps I can post which might help. Just one question - what time will it start and finish on? If each year is two turns and can't be modded then it would take ages to finish a campaign set on the exact dates on MTW (almost 1000 turns!!!)
    Last edited by Armchair Athlete; 10-22-2004 at 01:10.
    CHIVALRY TOTAL WAR - A medieval mod for RTW
    http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/chivalry/

This is one mod I'd love to see. I would love to help with anything at all (except maybe research) I have done next to no mod work to Rome so far. I can possibly become a skinner, but my computer doesn't even have photoshop. If you can pm me we might be able to work something out. If it turns out I have no modding skills whatsoever, I'll work as a playtester.
    If cockroaches can survive nuclear fallout, then what's in a can of RAID?

@Amir-san
    Well there are properly some late era units that we can cooperate on, maybe also buildings and stuff. The should however stay as two seperate mods.

@Armchair Athlete
    I don't know if the turns are hardcoded, but if they are then I might limit the mod to early and high era (I hope not). Your assistance with research would be very cool.

@BobTheTerrible
    Playtester can be usefull when the mod gets to that stage. You could try out some skinning to see if you like modding. You will need Photoshop in order to skin units (I tryed PSP, but could not make it work).

In this thread
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...814#post598814

Jerome says that the turns are hardcoded. So I guess it will have to be in either early/high, or high/late. If you are starting in the early period, you could forward the date from 1087 to 1100, because you cannot launch crusades now like you could in MTW, and you could include the crusaders in the middle east (they captured Jerusaleum in 1099). Or you could start in the high period, as this would include the Teutonic Knights, Bulgarians, Portugese and Latin Kingdom of Constantinople as factions which would not be included in early (although you would lose the Irish). You could also probably push it a bit and include the Burgundians. High period was also the time where the italian City states are beginning to emerge strongly (mainly after the collapse of Sicily). So before I start posting any units, I will need to know which timeframe it is set in. I have also dug up a bit of info on buildings, do you want that posted now or do you want units done first?

Finally, good luck with your modding efforts! When I got RTW, it was good and all, but it was really a medieval mod of Rome that I was looking forward to playing. After the excellent work you did on MTW, I am very much looking forward to the finished product

OK VH, how about this: They are two seperate mods, but made in cooperation (by that I mean borrowing from one mod, and vice versa). I have some faction banners almost done, you can borrow them if you want.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Talking Re: Medieval - Total War mod

Quote Originally Posted by VikingHorde
    I prefeer the medieval period from 1086-1456 because of the little use of gunpower. I also have most of the research material (pics and info) from the XL mod, so I can start easyer on the mod.
    I'm very excited about that and I wish you the best of luck, if you allow me to add a suggistion, why not have an earlier starting date, say 800, I know it might be a bit difficult, but believe me it would be worth it, because it will have charlemagne's mighty empire, & the byzantine empire at it's best under basil the magnifesent, & the Islamic Caliphate at it's best, with half of europe as pagans.
    Thank you and I wish you the best of luck VH.

@Armchair Athlete
    Hardcoded, that sucks. Well, I will properly need to think a little about how to setup the mod. I would love to have gothic knights and stuff, but I think early and high period are the best periods. A start date of 1100 could be okey, but I will need to think a little before setting the dates (start and end date).

@Silver Rusher
    That would be cool. Im starting with the units and later start setting up the campaign. I don't know much about the units after 1456, but if there is some units pre-1456 that you need, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by AFM984
    I'm very excited about that and I wish you the best of luck, if you allow me to add a suggistion, why not have an earlier starting date, say 800, I know it might be a bit difficult, but believe me it would be worth it, because it will have charlemagne's mighty empire, & the byzantine empire at it's best under basil the magnifesent, & the Islamic Caliphate at it's best, with half of europe as pagans.
    Thank you and I wish you the best of luck VH.
    It was one of the periods on my list, but I have chosen the medieval period for my next project

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rusher
    OK VH, how about this: They are two seperate mods, but made in cooperation (by that I mean borrowing from one mod, and vice versa). I have some faction banners almost done, you can borrow them if you want.
    This sounds good. Silver Rush, are you still interested in hosting the mod at SCC? VikingHorde has agreed a bit ago...

Yes, I am very interested and may even have you as my only host for the mods that I am making.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Unfrequent Visitor Member tombom's Avatar

This is very interesting and I'll help a bit if you want me to.
    caesar44 is having a system failure Claudius. He no longer has a head, on the count of it exploding. - Wonderland in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by tombom
    This is very interesting and I'll help a bit if you want me to.
    Help is always welcome

nice one VH

OK thats cool. I think there is also a limit on the amount of units in the game, from memory 300 for RTW (some CA guy posted that, I just can't be bothered looking right now ) so there will still need to be a fair few Generic units. What factions are you going to include? I am at a different computer to the one which has all my info, so I cant look at it yet, but from memory in that time period there would be potentially

Crusaders
    Egypt (cairo caliphate)
    Almoravids (corduba caliphate)
    Baghdad Caliphate (Turkish dominated)
    Seljuk Turks
    Armenians
    Georgians
    Almohads (in Morocco)
    Byzantines
    Aragonese
    Castilian Spanish
    you could probably push the portugese they had different culture but were a province of Leon at that stage and not politically independent
    Kievan Rus
    Volga Bulgarians
    Novgorod
    Navarrese (you could probably have them as rebel and save on unit space)
    Venice
    Genoa
    Milan
    Pisans or Florence (they were both nearby)
    Pope
    Sicilians
    French
    Norman English
    Scots
    Ireland
    Danes
    Swedes
    Holy Roman Empire
    Polish
    Hungarians
    Norway? I dont know if they were independant then or they were dominated by the Danes
    Lithuanians
    Cumans
    Bohemians
    EDIT - whoops forgot the Serbs
    OK I think thats all, I may have missed some though. The good thing with only having it early and high at least is that you can save unit space and take out things like Gothic Knights and Janissaries, but it would be good to find out now whats going to be in there. Some good news is that the provinces are limited to about 200 I think, so plenty of room there. Anyway before I start posting too much stuff about individual factions it would be great to know whats actually in. I dont really want to post stuff and be seen as being pushy if you werent going to include it. Also tell me what factions you want stuff on and what is OK, once again just so its not like I'm pushing my opinion around. Whatever it is you want be to research I will be able to dig some stuff up for, so I'll wait for you to say something before progressing any futher
    Last edited by Armchair Athlete; 10-23-2004 at 10:34.

I really think that you will have to cut down that list, there is a limit of 32 factions in RTW, and you have to include the Senate.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Athlete

Crusaders
    Byzantines
    Danes
    Swedes
    Norway? I dont know if they were independant then or they were dominated by the Danes
    Norway I think they where independant for at least the begining of the period your suggesting...however if you are going to limit the game to 32 fractions (which is a must) you coud skip them and have them rebels since none of the northern states Danes/Swedes/Norway did anything significant during this period but warred with each others...

Danes are the only ones who have a coherent and possibly significant kingdom at the begining of this era...the swedes become important about a hundred years later...and by then the weak norway is dominated by the danes...

Could add that I am from sweden so the information above should be fairly acurate...(the level around schoolbook facts)

The crusdaers wheren't their state called the Kingdom of Jerusalem or perhaps the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem...(aint sure but the crusaders sound very very dull in my ears)

If your intrested with Byzantine info I could probably be helping since I should know quiet a deal about them...having read about all that is to be found about their 1000 AD and later armies and organisation...

yeah these are all the potential factions that were actually in that time period, VH will have to say what he wants in or not. The 'senate' might be a bit tricky, as you have to have a senate relationship with three other factions, and they have to be allied, so if you did it with the pope and had the relationship with the Italian City states, they couldn't fight each other (which would be innacurate) or if you had it with the French and English or HRE, they couldn't fight each other. Another possibility is to have the three caliphates of Baghad, Cairo and Corduba allied and have Mecca as the senate. They all have enemies to fight (Iberia and Almohads for the Almoravids, crusders and Turks for the Cairo and Turks and Georgians for the Baghdad).

In my mod, the senate is the Khalifah, and the muslim factions are his pawns... but they are nowhere near as closely tied as the original Senate and Roman factions. Note there can only be three factions ordered by the Senate.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

@Armchair Athlete
    I would like to have all the original factions from MTW (some might have other more correct names), may be even most of the factions from the XL mod. I wan't the most importnant factions to be in the game, so if you have some ideas on who should go and who should stay, let me know. Im always open to new ideas.

@Silver Rusher
    Is there a 32 faction limit, that would be a shame. Of couse 32 factions is a high amount of factions. I don't know how to use the senate yet, but a lot of experiments is needed.

@Lord_Winter
    Any info is more than welcome here. I wan't the factions to be as special as possible. I think the right name is "Kingdom of Jerusalem" and it could be a better name for them. The Latin Kingdom was constantinopel and other captured provinces of the crusade in about 1204 (I think).

Some screenies of my Royal knights

@Armchair Athlete
    Very nice knights would fit fine as early royal knights I think...or feudal knights...just wondering about the helm...

@VikingHorde
    Any info is more than welcome here. I wan't the factions to be as special as possible. I think the right name is "Kingdom of Jerusalem" and it could be a better name for them. The Latin Kingdom was constantinopel and other captured provinces of the crusade in about 1204 (I think).

The Latin Kingdom is to my knowledge short for the Latin Kingdom of Constantinople or something....could look in one of those dusty tomes sitting in the shelves...but it is something realitivly un important...at least at this stage since I guess you are begining with an early age mod...

Could begin to compile the unit list for byza just say what the period is...and how many unit spaces there are to fill up...also for the units in the byzantine army a lot of the skins for Rome will be fully usable with minor editing...
    Last edited by Lord_Winter; 10-24-2004 at 19:26.

vh good to see that you've got around the grey peasant icon thing

@Lord_Winter
    The mod should be set up like with a Early campaignstart of 1100 and a high campaignstart of 1206. Late era might not be done, but we will see. I don't know how many units the factions should have, but it's okey to make lists of units.

@ah_dut
    Was there a "grey peasant" problem? I just inserted an icon in \Data\UI\UNITS\ROMANS_JULII with the name WEST_ROYAL_KNIGHTS.TGA. Then I just put WEST_ROYAL_KNIGHTS into the text files.

Hi everyone! Nice work on those knights ! Ive done some medieval units and posted the screens on http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...howtopic=13162 and http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...showtopic=2089 maybe they
    will be useful for MTW mod

Hey VH, nice work on the Royal Knights, they look cool. If you ask me, out of the factions I listed earlier you could take out the Almohads and combine their troops with the almoravids, take out the navaresse as they never expanded beyond their borders, take out the Lithuanians as they didn't do much in the early time period and maybe Norway, making them rebel. That way, Sweeden or Denmark will conquer them and become much stronger, and I think it would be better to have stronger Scandanavian powers so they might start raiding and also to make the ineveitable Sweeden-Denmark fight more interesting. You could also take out the Pisans/Florence, and make them rebel, with a rebel garrison blocking access from Genoa, but Venice or Milan could conquer it. This is because Genoa could conquer Sardinia and Corsica fairly quickly, helping them along, while it would be tougher for the other two. That would make three Italian factions, so you could have them as the ones allied with the pope as the senate. It would be a bit innacurate, as they couldn't immediately fight each other, but in the earlier period they were much busier fighting the Holy Roman Empire and the Sicilians, so it would be OK. Also, as they would be single city factions (probably the only single city factions in the game) they could use help like money/unit rewards from the pope from fulfiling missions, like the Romans with the senate. Of course, the Italians would be less overpowered. If you are doing a high period, then you take out the Irish who were conquered by the Norman English, and the Sicilians, as the Norman Sicilian line was extuinguished in 1194 with the death of Tancred, the last Norman King, and the Island of Sicily reverted to the control of the HRE with southern italy becoming rebel. Possibly replace them with the Teutonic Knights and the Bulgarians. You could do like you did in MTW XL and take out the Bohemians and replace them with the Latin Kingdom of Constantinople. Of course this is just IMHO.
    Last edited by Armchair Athlete; 10-25-2004 at 13:09.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Almoravids (corduba caliphate)
    Baghdad Caliphate (Turkish dominated)
    Almohads (in Morocco)
    I'd like to comment on all three if you wouldn't mind, the Almoravids took over the corduba caliphate, they were based in Marrakesh, their domain was around morroco and algeria aswell as half of spain. Later on the Almohads usurped them through a religious revolt and extended their domain as far as egypt and moved their capital to Seville.

The Baghdad Caliphate was known as the Abassid Caliphate.

I would be glad to provide information on these factions, and armour/weapon discriptions (i assume the units will be from MTW, so the names are set i beleive?).
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast