Thread: Unrealistic Forenames

Saupreuss Member Stefan the Berserker's Avatar

Default Unrealistic Forenames

RTW uses modern german Forenames, by logic modern german forenames arn't ancient german forenames. I edited a list of well suited, senseful and soundier forenames which can replace those new ones...

Germanic names are combinations of two words, for example Bald-win is composed of "Brave" and "Friend" makeing Baldwin "A brave Friend". Just to explain it initially.

The List:

Falko
    Marbod
    Landogar
    Notker
    Tankred
    Uwo
    Nordwin
    Leonhard
    Gaidemar
    Rûmwin ("Rome-Friend" )
    Rûmward ("Defender of Rome" )
    Einar
    Gotmar
    Dagobert
    Volkward
    Frodo ("the happy Lord" - of the Rings )
    Turimar ("Man popular in Troy" )
    Ziumar
    Alfgar
    Armin
    Dankward

About Rûmwin, Rûmward and Turimar: Pro-Roman Germans liked that names to show their likelyhood to Rome, that probaly the reason why they got lost with the time. But in the roman era they're quite well suited.

Default Re: Unrealistic Forenames

Hi, Stefan, i was a few days out of town, but now i'm back and beginning to work again on the germanic unit description.
    To your list of surenames, i think we can als add Sesithar(us) and Ingiomer(us) for the cherusci.
    The suebi names sound rather familiar for our ears today: as example - Ditwolf or Markwart(probably alemanni, but suebian heritage).
    B.t.w. some historicans think the real name of Arminius was Erminamarez.
    We should also get rid of the axe symbol for the faction.
    For example the cherusci got their tribal name from the deer, the deer-people.

Default Re: Unrealistic Forenames

I see the biggest problem with Germanic names is the latinization of them. May names end on the latin "us", totally un-german if you ask me.