Thread: Requirements for future submission of work

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Default Requirements for future submission of work

Ok folks, I have a bit of a problem. With so many people doing separate work on this mod, without careful logging of your work I find it extremely difficult to integrate everything properly. I do not mind spending long hours working on this, but with the right information much of that time need not be spent at all.

First, all information sent to me must be accompanied by an indication of what build you are working off of. If you used Rome Total War files without alteration, note the version number. I will refer to RTW without modification as "Vanilla" from now on. So, if you worked on the basic RTW, version 1.11, you would tell me Vanila 1.11. Or if you are working off of EB v0.1a, that is what you would tell me.

Next, if you send me an altered file, all of your work must be commented with at least a short description of the edit and your initials. I won't make this too complicated as we're not all software developers here, but if you send me a file without comments I cannot pull out the relevant work and then add it to the next build.

The .txt files see lines preceded by a semi-colon (;) as comment text.

; Thus, this is a comment line. You would note your changes here.

Continuing, if you send me work that has not been entered into a file, you must tell me first what file it needs to be inserted into, and tell me if it is an edit to an existing unit/building/description and so on (and if so, where I can find it, preferably with line number which you can get with a decent shareware text editor), or if it is to be added where I must add it.

Lastly, if you send me work that spans many files, detailed notes must be made so that I know what and where things have been changed.

Remember, we are all working off of the same files here. The easier it is for me to know what you have done and where to find it, the quicker integration will go. Some of you have done well at this so far, but I am still finding this very slow going as I have to wade through work without comments to assist me in finding individual pieces of work. Also remember that, for instance, unit stats were changed across the board in 0.1a, so without knowing which version you are working on I can't properly work with the stats you send me.

So if you read this and realize that your work did not have the documentation that would make life easier for me, feel free to add it and re-submit. If I have not integrated it all yet trust me, it will help. If I have, I at least have it as a record of the work you have done. For future builds, this will be a hard requirement. Without proper information, I won't spend my time trying to figure it out on my own.

Thanks,

-Khelvan
    Cogita tute

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Default Re: Requirements for future submission of work

OK. My apologies for forgeting it. I should have known, since I had modded before. It can get extremelly confusing. No excuse for me...

I've sent you a mail with the altered info for Alpha 0.2

EB insanity coordinator Senior Member khelvan's Avatar

Default Re: Requirements for future submission of work

Another note.

We are all working on the same mod, with the same goals. It is neither courteous nor acceptable to ignore an entire body of work that went into a previous build and start over from scratch. When entire files have been reworked (such as the regions or the units) you should be working on the existing build, not going back to previous builds or to Vanilla RTW unless we have had a discussion about why and how these things should be changed, and we have come to a consensus on what to do.

If we are trying something new the people in the groups that are affected need to work together to determine how to tackle the problem. In a group this large we can't have people just doing their own thing, everyone must be in agreement or the work on the mod quickly becomes chaotic.
    Cogita tute