Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth: Total War for Rome

Default ME:TW(R) v0.7.0beta released!

ME:TW(R) has had it's first release: the v0.7.0beta.

Download details can be found here.

If anyone can help with hosting, please let me or Orome know!

For Bug Reports or Feedback, please use the appropriate threads on the ME:TW forums.
    Encaitar Arandur

Middle-earth: Total War Dev

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Default Re: Middle Earth: Total War for Rome

wow. when you say sporadic unit movement you meant it. those guys were going crazy. the campaign map and the units look very nice however. why such small unit sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by shifty157
    wow. when you say sporadic unit movement you meant it. those guys were going crazy. the campaign map and the units look very nice however. why such small unit sizes?
    1.2 i presume?

Blog Entries

Actually, it SP works only with 1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Wazikashi
    Actually, it SP works only with 1.1

That is incorrect. The readme states that the erratic movement shifty157 describes is a known issue when the mod is installed over 1.2 (an issue that has been reported by other mods projects as well).

Blog Entries

Sorry, my bad

At first I was happy to see the Beta, but are you sure it was worth releasing such an unpolished product? There are a ton of balance issues, there are RTW artifacts all over (interface, faction symbols), there are animation and skeletal problems (mumak and troll speed). The point of a Beta is for bug and balance testing. It is not to release a product incomplete from the development side. I would have rathered a delayed release, and a more polished product, because after a short period of time the wonder of ME wears off, and you are left with a not-very-enjoyable SP or MP mod.
    Also realize that this is from the standpoint of another Dev (and one with a bug up his ass), so my views probably don't represent the views of the general public, who will most likely eat this thing up.

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

Professor420 on these forums! Aaaah! And I see your still moaning Actually I would have to agree though, as a member of the general public I think you should at least fix the bugs with 1.2 before releasing the open beta. Otherwise enthusiastic people (and there are many for this mod) may be put off the mod by the bugs, just my opinion though.

Regards,

Sundjata Keita

It was good to see the artwork and the campaign map, which btw looks awesome. The best way to fix the movement problem would probably be to start all over and remake all the unit stats and all that with a clean 1.2 install - but I bet the devs already tried that.
    Last edited by Burns; 06-03-2005 at 15:20.

The beta is essentially a custom battle beta for v1.1. We could easily have left it at just that, but we decided to let people at least have a play around with the campaign, and with v1.2. Believe it or not but it's already been very helpful in terms of catching bugs and making improvements, as well as working on future development. And that's why we released what we did. There's only 2 of us working on this after all!
    Encaitar Arandur

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor420
    At first I was happy to see the Beta, but are you sure it was worth releasing such an unpolished product? There are a ton of balance issues, there are RTW artifacts all over (interface, faction symbols), there are animation and skeletal problems (mumak and troll speed). The point of a Beta is for bug and balance testing. It is not to release a product incomplete from the development side. I would have rathered a delayed release, and a more polished product, because after a short period of time the wonder of ME wears off, and you are left with a not-very-enjoyable SP or MP mod.
    Also realize that this is from the standpoint of another Dev (and one with a bug up his ass), so my views probably don't represent the views of the general public, who will most likely eat this thing up.
    Hi Prof!

Pretentious Title Member ENSAIS's Avatar

Has there been any movement on this recently? The last post is from Dec 2004...

Excuse me?
    Encaitar Arandur

Yeah, what post are you refering to exactly ENSAIS?

Posted by Professor420
    I have some trouble understanding this reaction.
    As a general user of R:TW, i am more than happy to see Mods released as soon as they are in rough working order. When you are a true fan of a time period or a setting, you can't wait to play with it.

I find the other Dev option (to wait till you have a complete polished product), much too risky. Too often have i seen promising mods going into limbo after some time and never publishing anything even though they were 80% complete. The last 10-20% needed to polish a mod can be so boring and lengthy to produce that many good, playable things die before getting public.

I much prefer to see a mod 75% finished and published than a mod 95% finished and never published.

So Orome and Encaitar don't let yourself disheartened by such comments, keep on the good work and publish as many beta version than you need to.

PYJ99
    PYJ 99

Me:TW Dev Team

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!I TREID THE MOD ON 1.1 AND WORKED BUT IT DIDN'T LET ME SELECT CAMPAIN AND CUSTOM BATTLES!! FIX THIS BUG NOW OR NO ONE WILL DOWNLOAD IT!!!
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

hehe, nice to see you back Abokasee

And welcome to the .org Professor , if you don't want to spoil you appreciation with the beta, don't download it and wait for the final release - simple

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!I TREID THE MOD ON 1.1 AND WORKED BUT IT DIDN'T LET ME SELECT CAMPAIN AND CUSTOM BATTLES!! FIX THIS BUG NOW OR NO ONE WILL DOWNLOAD IT!!!
    Sounds like you didn't do the prologue

Sounds like he didnt read the readme......

Which is the whole point of the readme, to read it,

hmmm dosent say any thing.......FIX THIS BUG!!!

Its not a bug!.. and Its not my problem if you dont have enough brain power to follow the installation instructions..

worked alright for me.

Blue Lotus Total War
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Byzantium Total War

I quote from the "Installation Instructions" of the readme included with the install:

"If you generated it or you already have a preferences.txt please open it and make sure that DISABLE_BACKGROUND_FMV is set to 'TRUE' and that FIRST_TIME_PLAY is set to 'FALSE'"
    Encaitar Arandur

Got It Working

can u plz make it compadible with 1.2 too?

Thanks for that suggestion.
    Encaitar Arandur

I´m dead impressed, your unit selection really looks awesome. Are that all units or are there more to come?

how on earth are you guys going to make battles in the campaign like helms deep and are the in game cities going to look like they do on the campaign map?

I´ve tested it this weekend, and boy, your modellers are great! The units look pretty good in the pictures posted, but seeing them inthe game is just
    Even though they move about like on speed and bad one at that, but that´s mentioned in the readme.
    The campaign map looks awesome as well, great work. I haven´t experienced it crashing so far, but then I have used auto-resolve for the battles and I haven´t played it that long, either, a dozen of turns at most.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast