Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lord of the Rings: Total War

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Default The Lord of the Rings: Total War

A mod based on the LOTR trilogy movies. The goal of this mod is to simulate the huge epic battles seen in the movies. Currently this project only focuses on Custom and Multiplayer battles.

FAQ:

Q: When will this mod be released?
    A: The end of Ocotber/early November will see a first beta release. This beta will be missing some elite units (since they need further designing) but most of the final roster is there. The first beta's purpose is for balance testing.

Q: Will this mod include a single player campaign?
    A: Not at the moment. I'm focusing on making a large selection of units first. I'm also not too happy with the limited culture RTW has so a campaign version will be considered after RTW:BI.

Q: How many faction will be playable?
    A: 8 "real" factions and 2 "bonus" factions

Q: Will there be LOTR music in it?
    A: Yes.

Q: Will there be custom sounds such that orcs would sound like orcs and not just burly men?
    A: Yes. They're done. Regular orcs and Uruk-hai got separate and distinct sounds.

Q: Will be custom sounds for units?
    A: Not at first beta release so the file size won't be too large. It is planned for the final version.

Q: WILL THERE BE HOBBITS????
    A: YES.

Q: What's the full unit roster?
    A: Please visit SCC Mod Forum thread for full unit listing (still a WIP though).

Q: Your mod sucks, METW and FATW are totally better
    A: That's not a question and you're free not to download this mod.
    Last edited by wlesmana; 09-03-2005 at 05:36. Reason: update

Don't worry, I don't exist Member King of Atlantis's Avatar

Default Re: The Lord of the Rings: Total War

Man those units look nice.

Isänmaantoivo Member Kääpäkorven Konsuli's Avatar

Looks like you have taken many units from the movies. watchs out for EA (or who ever owns the copyrigths).

Edit:"A mod based on the LOTR trilogy movies."
    I should have read more carefull. But anyway, as far as I know you can't make mod based on the movies.
    Everybody remember what happent to the LOTR mod for Morrowind?
    Last edited by Kääpäkorven Konsuli; 07-29-2005 at 18:46.
    Bliss is ignorance

Forever British Member King Ragnar's Avatar

My god those units kick ass. Well done mate.
    Vote For The British nationalist Party.
    Say no to multi-culturalism.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Not another LotR mod!
    Seriously though, that's some sweet work you've got there. Only unit I didn't like the look of was the troll unit. Any plans to update the battlefield textures to be more fitting?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Those units are very impressive. Keep us updated with everything.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

great models!!!
    but there's one thing it said somewhere( it'll not be an exact quote but anyway): for a crossbow unit that it would have a shorter range then a bow but it woiuld be more devestating... I always tought that crossbows shoot further then bows?
    who's right since I could be wrong but I really tought so?

It's great but where are the Knights of Dol Amroth? Are they going to be included?

There is a Dol Armoth faction or something, but my memory sucks....wait no, that was a Numoroean faction, Welsmana isnt finsihed yet, so....yeah.

That.....didn't make a bit of sense after you said, "that was a Numenorean faction"

Er...just pretend I didnt speak and all will make sense to you.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

THe mod looks great- now I get to play 3 LOTR mods on RTW. These should have their own Org category- call it the "Ring Cycle" or something. (God I hope someone gets that Wagner reference)

Anyway, I have a few suggestions from my limited knowlege of the series:
    1. I think there should be some kind of mountian troll and cave troll, but I am hesitant to say that because they were probably not very widely used on the battlefield, seeing as they turned into stone once sunlight touched them... still, you could kinda slip your way around that one.

2. The trolls, especially the Oolg-hai should be less armoured, fewer in number, and f**king huge- not mumak-size, but close to a large rhino or elephant.

3. Don't forget, Mordor had Uruks as well; even though this is a movie mod, they could use some of these elite shock troops.

Take them or leave them.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 08-01-2005 at 03:32.

Konsuli> doesn't matter to me. If EA went as far as giving me a cease and desist letter, all it will do is make the mod unavailable for public download. I made this mod originally by myself, for myself. They can't stop me from continuing working on it.

Gertgregoor> in real life, yea, crossbows shoot farther than regular bows. But most of the archers in the game use longbows. The Uruk-hai's crossbows shoot farther than the crude bows of orcs, but definitely not as far the elves' or Gondor's. Plus it's for balancing purpose since the crossbows got armor piercing attribute and higher attack rating. Galadhrim got the best archers though, as they're both armor and body piercing.

Gaius Drakan> Dol Amroth units is still under consideration. The problem is that I have to heavily design them. Even though many of the units are my own design, I still based them off existing look and culture in the movie. Dol Amroth got their own culture even though they're related to the Gondorians. Thus I'll have to do a little more research and designing for them. So they're not as high in my to-do list as I'm trying to make all the units that appeared in the movies first.

meatwad> There will be three kinds of Trolls available for Mordor: Assault Trolls (like the ones pouring in after Minas Tirith's gates broke) and Battle Trolls (like the one Aragorn fought). A cheaper and weaker Worker Troll will be available as well. I might have Cave Trolls too, as mercenary unit. Yes, even if technically they can't withstand sunlight but the point of this mod is too see LOTR characters in action :)

The Trolls ARE huge. 75% bigger than regular soldier to be precise. I guess I'll need to update the screenshot to show their size compared to other units. I'm still working on the model because of RTW's limited skeleton capability.

I don't specify Mordor's Uruks but their bigger units like Manslayers and Warband got the same sounds with Isengard's Uruks. It's just that in the movie the term Uruk-hai are only applied to Isengard's soldiers.

It´s a great thing you annouced your mod here in this forum, I´ve stumbled over it at SSC (I think) and it looks good - graphic-wise, so far.

I hope the PTB are slow reacting, so we might actually have a chance to download it before the chop off your head.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Wlesmana- thanks for the clarification. I am looking forward to the success of yet another LOTR mod.

Something I forgot yesterday, where are your Nazgul? They looked so cool andwould make an excellent general for the Mordor faction. Just don´t throw such good work away.

I wouldn't be too worried about copyright, I think MEMOD (the Morrowind Middle-Earth mod) attracted so much unwanted legal attention because it stepped on the toes of the up-and-coming Middle Earth MMORPG. RTW mods wouldn't really compete with any future releases so should be just fine. Not that I know all that much about it!

The http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11764&st=0 is updated with 6 new units:
    -Elven Warriors (light infantry)
    -Elven Archers
    -Elven Light Cavalry
    -Mirkwood Rangers
    -Lothlorien Sentinels
    -Gondor Scout Cavalry
    -Dunedain Rangers

Also, here are some battle screenshots:

Enjoy!

When's the mod being released?
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Open Beta for balancing test will most likely be ready around October, the time I actually get broadband access. The mod will be quite huge due to music and sound files, even if it only has 10 factions. Hopefully I'll have the full unit roster by then. I might add another faction or two (Dwarves and Outlaws) for later releases.

FYI, the first release will be custom battles and multiplayer only.

Dear god, this rocks

Man why not do this based on the Silmarillon? It has more factions, more wars, more events, and much more fun. The story related with the Lord of the Rings is a story of decadence so things scarce badly. I've all the information you need (i think you too but...), and i'm willing to help with scripting (not with modeling because i don't have 3d studio), producing and with all the new ideas that the game needs. I think that if you change your mind you will have to do a little more work, but much of the units needed are ready (specially for the side of the "bad people") from what i've seen. So if you like the idea then i will like to help you. Anyway great effort (and result so far), i would do this myself but i need someone with experience in modeling and a program to model. Tell if you like it and i give you my email.
    Born On The Flames

Uh, the whole point of this mod is to simulate the movies. So why would I want to make it into Silmarillion? The other 2 LOTR mods are being done because they love the books. I'm doing this because I love the movies and would very much like to see the huge epic battles like in the movies, in the game.

Besides, there's already a War of Beleriand mod out there somewhere.

Damn those screenshots look good. This mod is gonna be a cracker
    -If you want to critisize some one, walk a mile in their shoes. So when you critisize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

-A man does not discover new lands without losing sight of the shore.

Proud Member of the Anti-Jamster Crusade

The drums. The terrible drums. No, footsteps. Monsters. They are coming.

Reform the line! Reform the line! We'll take them head on! SOund the charge!

CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!

The Haradrim archers sending volleys of death upon the Rohirrim.

The desperate battle against incredible odds! Many Rohirrims already paid the ultimate price.

Bring them down! Bring them down!

Victory belongs to the free peoples in the end... with a great cost.

You´re cruel, giving us all the cool pictures and not the possibility to play ourself
    To wait till October, well, I guess patience is a virtue, but I´ve never claimed to be especially virtuous.

Sheesh, it's only 2 months
    Plus I'm having great difficulty implementing custom animations now. Blargh.

HOLY.....

How the... what the... where...

HOLY.....

THAT IS FRICKIN INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

How the HELL did you get giant oliphants?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

You are one talented SOB. I hope you put in an application to CA my friend!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Wouldn't those giant elephants seriously overbalance a game? Or are they really, really expensive or run amok easily?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Well if they're anything like the ones in the movie, you only have to graze their legs with your blade and they come crazing down.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast